No - But I need one damnit 7 6.19%
No - Doesn't seem worth the money 12 10.62%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #51
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I'm with Logan here. I just don't see how it's possible to not see a difference. There's also a good chance your color/contrast/etc settings are not set correctly. Believe it or not it can make a HUGE difference.

+1 on this - SD looks like I traveled back in time - I watch almost nothing if it is not in HD. My wife on the other hand will happily sit there watching the non-HD channel when the same show is on HD - drives me crazy - I always walk over and change the channel and she says something like "that, does look nicer" "when I am thinking how can you watch that?"

I also think that some of the difference comes in how poorly SD looks on an HD set. If there is a game on that is not being broadcast in HD (which irks me at this point in time) I will go watch it in my office 20" standard instead of our big screen HD.

AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #52
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm with Logan here. I just don't see how it's possible to not see a difference. There's also a good chance your color/contrast/etc settings are not set correctly. Believe it or not it can make a HUGE difference.

While bad eyesight could definitely be a factor, I'm with you on the other settings. To anyone who has never been to the AVS forums, go there, search for your exact TV model, and you'll find a bunch of people with their "slider settings" (if you will) with most of which being in the same general area, or if you're lucky, agreed-upon best settings. Copy those down and head to your setup. If you've never messed around with those before, you'll be amazed at the difference in the pre-set numbers and what guys with the techical knowledge and the eye for this sort of thing have come up iwth.

Most TVs are preloaded to just blast bright colors with no accounting for sharpness, contrast, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
I also think that some of the difference comes in how poorly SD looks on an HD set. If there is a game on that is not being broadcast in HD (which irks me at this point in time) I will go watch it in my office 20" standard instead of our big screen HD.

This is a valid point however.

Last edited by Logan : 06-02-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #53
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
My wife on the other hand will happily sit there watching the non-HD channel when the same show is on HD - drives me crazy - I always walk over and change the channel and she says something like "that, does look nicer" "when I am thinking how can you watch that?"

Haha! My wife does the exact same thing and I think the same thing too.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #54
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Haha! My wife does the exact same thing and I think the same thing too.

My coworker blocked the SD versions and told his wife that they stopped broadcasting them in preparation for the Digital switch.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #55
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
My coworker blocked the SD versions and told his wife that they stopped broadcasting them in preparation for the Digital switch.

Oh that's awesome!!

I'd try that too, but, my wife calls for any little thing she thinks is wrong, so I wouldn't be able to pull that off.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #56
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I blocked all the SD versions too.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote