Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #51
Sgran
High School Varsity

6 year old girls do not need some lunatic teaching them how to "win at all costs." They need encouragement, guidance, and -- most importantly -- a good example of sportsmanship. This guy is clearly an asshole and deserves what he got. I was not surprised at all to learn he had berated a 12-year old ref into quitting, as his hyperbole barely masks his true feelings (and he admits as much).

Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #52
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
6 year old girls do not need some lunatic teaching them how to "win at all costs." They need encouragement, guidance, and -- most importantly -- a good example of sportsmanship. This guy is clearly an asshole and deserves what he got. I was not surprised at all to learn he had berated a 12-year old ref into quitting, as his hyperbole barely masks his true feelings (and he admits as much).

I think his whole letter went over your head, just like it did the parents. It was OBVIOUSLY a joke when you read the whole thing. Was it a dumb thing to do? Probably, but he shouldn't have been fired over it.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #53
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I think his whole letter went over your head, just like it did the parents. It was OBVIOUSLY a joke when you read the whole thing. Was it a dumb thing to do? Probably, but he shouldn't have been fired over it.

You should ask your kids' martial arts instructors what they think of the letter.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #54
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I was an amazing volleyball ref in high school, and gots lot of cred for it.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:53 AM   #55
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

Here's where we disagree. Obviously, he's joking about the HGH stuff, but there is just too much aggression in his letter for it to all be in jest. I believe my gut feelings were justified when he admitted that his core beliefs are expressed faithfully, namely that winning is all that matters, and it's okay to play dirty and berate the refs in that pursuit. I have a fundamental problem with promoting this philosophy to kids. Maybe you feel kids today are too coddled. I think the problem is instead that kids aren't taught correctly. The kids I know (and certainly I was this way) have an inherent competitiveness that does not need to be amplified. Rather they need to be taught how to play as a team; play, win and lose with class; and that effort in both practice and games is more important than the final score.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:04 AM   #56
Sgran
High School Varsity

As for martial arts teachers: I love them. I always agreed with the teachings of the karate instructors I had. They promoted avoiding violent fights whenever possible, running away as an honorable choice of action, and training hard with humility. I have nothing against pushing children to work harder and to be respectful of teachers and tradition. Even after 4 years of training, my instructors would correct my form without any hint of negativity. Most of the football (as well as basketball and baseball to a lesser extent) coaches I've had, on the other hand, believed that berating players was the way to get through to them. I find this technique to be lazy and outdated. Inspiration can be achieved in many ways other than through insults and challenges to one's masculinity.
I realize that my ideas are can be considered pie in the sky, and maybe they are (i'm still waiting for an opportunity to coach a team sport). I like to think coaches like Bill Walsh prove that it can be done.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #57
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
BTW, what the hell type of soccer league doesn't require cleats and cancels games because of rain.... pfft.

I know of one, but they don't do it for the safety of the kids. It is the lack of money to rebuild the field every week.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #58
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote