Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #51
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
There's only one way to be sure...someone get out the Zapruder film.

So you're saying, we should be looking back and to the left

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #52
Dutch
"Dutch"

Definately too close to call and you certainly can't blame anybody for this one. By the definition of what a ref can reasonably deduct, it's a touchdown.

Now, in retrospect, seeing the right foot so much higher up than the left foot in every shot, the only way the right foot could touch is if the left foot were buried in the ground, but that's not the case at all. I don't think the right foot touched.

But if anything, they should change the rule to one foot in bounds. That solves about 50% of the problems with this kind of stuff.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #53
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Actually this IS 2d, its a photo and because its a photo geometry tells us where things are with respect to depth within the photo. And if his toe is touching the grass why can we see the entire toe? you can't see the left one

If his toe were down at this point (the photo in this thread) we couldn't see the red grass that is directly in front of that pylon which is a good 3+ feet from the spot of Holme's toes.
What picture are you talking about, I'm talking about the 2nd picture. I can see to the left of the right shoe that there is yellow lower then the rest of the shoe shown (at the same level as the left shoe). Anyway, I hoped that one didn't count, but the pictures did nothing to overturn the call.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #54
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yeah...I'm not arguing that his right foot didn't touch the ground at any point after he caught the ball...I'm merely stating that in the pictures we have been given not one of them shows his right foot/toe touching the ground. He very well may have caught the ball and tapped his right foot down, but I just have yet to see any evidence that it actually happened.

I agree that the call was too close to overturn in a game, so even though it may eventually down the line turn out to be the wrong call, given the angles that the refs had at that moment, there was not reasonable evidence to completely overturn the call. Now...if the innitial call had been incomplete, I have no doubt that that too would not have been overturned.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #55
RendeR
Coordinator

the photo in post #4
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #56
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Yeah...I'm not arguing that his right foot didn't touch the ground at any point after he caught the ball...I'm merely stating that in the pictures we have been given not one of them shows his right foot/toe touching the ground. He very well may have caught the ball and tapped his right foot down, but I just have yet to see any evidence that it actually happened.

I agree that the call was too close to overturn in a game, so even though it may eventually down the line turn out to be the wrong call, given the angles that the refs had at that moment, there was not reasonable evidence to completely overturn the call. Now...if the innitial call had been incomplete, I have no doubt that that too would not have been overturned.

indeed, this is my stance as well and my hope is that when evidence like this comes out after the fact that it prompts the NFL to work toward having the equipment and personnel on hand for a game with as much at stake as the Super Bowl so that the fans and the world at large have far less room to bitch as many have about the games.

Building the fans confidence in the surrounding system of the game will help alleviate a lot of the disgruntled fans after such a game.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote