Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #51
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
I dont understand the issue with this. It's like the NCAA's. Win your conference(division in NFL) and you're in. Otherwise you have to qualify for an at-large bid. Division schedules are 87.5% identical.

Because the smaller the division, the more likely the division can be "weak" or "strong", i.e. where the first place team is 8-8, or the third place team is 11-5. You don't have college conferences with only 4 teams, or any other pro sports for that matter.

Whether you are a Patriots fan or not, do you think it's fair that they are not in the playoffs?

JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #52
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

As a Patriots fan, I consider stuff like them not making the playoffs this year (while the Vikings did, for instance) to be part of what makes Super Bowl wins all that more rewarding.

As another example, I'll point to Manchester United's 1999 Champions' League Final win over Bayern Munich. After years and years of English teams getting shafted in Europe (including United the previous year), the catharsis of finally winning was that much greater. I mean, it was even against the Germans, after all.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #53
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post
Because the smaller the division, the more likely the division can be "weak" or "strong", i.e. where the first place team is 8-8, or the third place team is 11-5. You don't have college conferences with only 4 teams, or any other pro sports for that matter.

Whether you are a Patriots fan or not, do you think it's fair that they are not in the playoffs?

They didn't win their division and two other teams who also didn't win their division had better records. I just do not see what is unfair about that.

Isn't it just as likely that the AFC east records collectively were inflated due to their easy out of division schedule???

If all teams played similar schedules I'd agree with you. But they don't. We have very few points of reference to determine whether NE was better or worse than SD this season. We have a whole lot of proof than Miami was better than NE and SD was better than Denver and that's really all that matters.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #54
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post

While I may be a Patriots fan aruging in favor of restructuring, I actually think it's fair. They should have beat the Jets in the Monday night game, their defense should have showed up when they played Miami the first time, David Thomas shouldn't have been a bonehead when they had a shot at the tying filed goal against Indy, etc. When Matt Cassell showed that he could play QB, they should have won that division and not had to worry about tiebreakers. But they made too many mistakes during the season to whine about missing on tiebreakers in the wildcard. I'm especially disappointed at how the defense let them down.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #55
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Oh, and of course that still doesn't stop me from hating Brett Favre even more because of all those picks he threw that handed Miami that final game...
Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #56
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'll pile on as a Pats fan and say that, while frustrating, it is not unfair in anyway that the Pats are sitting home. They had their chances and failed to seize them.

I would be in favor of playoff reseeding, though. That Colts/Indy game should have taken place in Indy.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #57
JediKooter
Coordinator

Get rid of the Wild Card and then you don't have to worry about a team with a better record having to go to a division winners house that has a worse record and then losing to that divisional winner that has a worse record, even though the team that had the better record also had the leagues MVP.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 01-07-2009 at 12:50 PM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #58
stevew
Hall Of Famer

4 team divisons are stupid.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #59
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
While I may be a Patriots fan aruging in favor of restructuring, I actually think it's fair. They should have beat the Jets in the Monday night game, their defense should have showed up when they played Miami the first time, David Thomas shouldn't have been a bonehead when they had a shot at the tying filed goal against Indy, etc. When Matt Cassell showed that he could play QB, they should have won that division and not had to worry about tiebreakers. But they made too many mistakes during the season to whine about missing on tiebreakers in the wildcard. I'm especially disappointed at how the defense let them down.

I totally agree. I don't think most Pats fans have a problem with how things went down. You can't complain about a setup after the fact, just because it impacted you and your team.

And anyway, I love that division championships matter, and that division champions are guaranteed at least one home game, and home field advantage over any wild card. Those six division games on your schedule are your most important games, by far. That's great for those rivalries.

The Pats gave up a 3rd and 15 to Favre in OT...That cost them their season.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #60
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think the 11-5 teams not making the playoffs is horrible. The league fluctuates so much that those kind of things happen and it's what makes the sport great. Over time, your team will have those seasons where they go 11-5 or 10-6 and miss the playoffs. They'll also probably have a season where they go 8-8 and make the playoffs. It all evens out.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 AM   #61
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't understand people's aversion to ties. If I were made king of the NFL, the rule would be: If the score is tied after 4 quarters, the result is a tie. If it is a playoff game, you play an OT period of 10 minutes. If its still tied after that, you play another OT period of 10 minutes. Sudden death is asinine.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #62
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The Pats gave up a 3rd and 15 to Favre in OT...That cost them their season.
Or Bill Belichick was a pussy who didn't go for 2 in a shootout and left their fate up to a coin flip, but both arguments equate to the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
We have very few points of reference to determine whether NE was better or worse than SD this season. We have a whole lot of proof than Miami was better than NE and SD was better than Denver and that's really all that matters.
The second sentence is the only thing I disagree with here. I'll agree that Miami deserved to go based upon a pre-agreed tiebreaking system, but I challenge anyone to prove that Miami was conclusively better than NE (or vice versa). Shit... imagine if you had a BCS-type debate about which of the two went in. It wouldn't be fun.

Overall, I'm down with a team picking what yard line the kicking team kicks from and forcing the other team to choose offense or defense.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #63
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Peter King talked about the Jim Nantz proposal of "On the second possession of overtime, once the opposing team fields a punt or kickoff, the game is now in sudden death." I have come around to believe that this change would be a good idea.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #64
rkmsuf
Head Coach

can't stand any change to it

the game was tied in regulation. you don't want overtime don't let it be tied.

otherwise you get a coin flip. it's perfect the way it is...especially if it incents teams to decide games in regulation. which it doesn't so it's not like it's this totally unfair system.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #65
Logan
Head Coach

He lives!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #66
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
He lives!

lol

rising from the ashes like a phoenix

Last edited by rkmsuf : 01-12-2009 at 06:08 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #67
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I agree that coaches should be playing for the win more in regulation.