Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #51
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Greg Reid is looking awesome. Followed up by a nice TD run by Shep.

Reid has been constantly catching my eye. Looks like a great player.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #52
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
My thoughts exactly. I'm interested in knowing where Macro got the idea he turned down BYU because he wanted to start as a freshman? Everything i have heard has LSU and USC well out in front - both places where he wouldn't see the field for a couple of years. If true, it's a huge plus for UCLA.

Well, alumni of Timpview, coached at one of the high schools, friend of parents of several players on the Timpview team and oh.....I am tight with the Polynesian circle in the area.

When it comes to a lot of the Polynesians playing in the area and where they are going I keep my eyes and ears open, I grew up with a lot of the kids brothers, cousins and such...I imported Taro root from the islands and sold to most of their families as a business after high school....that kind of stuff helps me stay in the loop.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #53
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Honestly, from what I am hearing in the circles is he wants to start, doesn't think he will be given a fair shot at BYU and then I have heard his father is influencing him to go elsewhere, which I find is funny...they brought him to Timpview to get him into the D1 level at BYU..

I hope that's not true. Looking at who will be back next year, from what I have seen of X he has the talent to start. In fact in my mind Matt Reynolds is the only one penciled in. Sorenson has been injury prone and may never reach his pre-mission level and Willing who started before his mission was not that impressive. All I know is we need to get some damn speed on defense or it won't matter who starts on the line next year

Last edited by BYU 14 : 01-04-2009 at 09:26 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #54
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I hope that's not true. Looking at who will be back next year, from what I have seen of X he has the talent to start. In fact in my mind Matt Reynolds is the only one penciled in. Sorenson has been injury prone and may never reach his pre-mission level and Willing who started before his mission was not that impressive. All I know is we need to get some damn speed on defense or it won't matter who starts on the line next year

If we nail X and Manti, with Wilson committing at the TE spot and the others, it would be our best recruiting class ever.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #55
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Once again, you question my overall character over some harmless rivalry comments - that are quite tame. Again, if you will judge me by that, I don't care 1 bit about your opinion.

If you have character, it shows in everything you do.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #56
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, alumni of Timpview, coached at one of the high schools, friend of parents of several players on the Timpview team and oh.....I am tight with the Polynesian circle in the area.

When it comes to a lot of the Polynesians playing in the area and where they are going I keep my eyes and ears open, I grew up with a lot of the kids brothers, cousins and such...I imported Taro root from the islands and sold to most of their families as a business after high school....that kind of stuff helps me stay in the loop.

Cool - didn't mean to challenge you, was just interested in finding out whether it was second hand free board information, or real good stuff

Is it a beef his family has with the coaching staff at BYU? Or just that he doesn't think he can beat out the OT's already on the roster? At SC, he's not going to beat out Charles Brown, Nick Howell, Tyron Smith or Butch Lewis (and probably not Matt Kalil) as a freshman, so if starting in year 1 is his priority, he's not going to come to SC.

I heard he's very close to Martinez and they might be a package, but he wants to check out LSU first.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #57
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Another impressive throw by Barkley.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #58
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oh well, so much for the dream. Great get for Florida.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #59
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Cool - didn't mean to challenge you, was just interested in finding out whether it was second hand free board information, or real good stuff

Is it a beef his family has with the coaching staff at BYU? Or just that he doesn't think he can beat out the OT's already on the roster? At SC, he's not going to beat out Charles Brown, Nick Howell, Tyron Smith or Butch Lewis (and probably not Matt Kalil) as a freshman, so if starting in year 1 is his priority, he's not going to come to SC.

I heard he's very close to Martinez and they might be a package, but he wants to check out LSU first.

My understanding is it's mainly a beef with the nepotism angle at BYU....look at this way...

Reynolds (4 brothers have cycled through)
Doman (4 family members)
Cahoon (2 brothers)
Anae (Coaches son plays with X at Timpview, committed)
Covey (Booster money)
Fowler (Blaine was a QB back in the 80's, his son was the senior FS)
White (Danny Whites son)
Ah You (2 borthers)
Collie (Austin is the 3rd of his family to play at BYU)
Kozlowski (son of Glen, McMahon's WR)
White (Danny whites son)
Unga (2 brothers)

He is looking at this big family thing, I hope it plays out well and he stays because I know a few of his cousins are on the team.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #60
Tigercat
College Starter

Reid almost had another INT. I feel bad for white's other QBs, the coaches on that team must be in love with Barkley's arm so much that they have forgotten that you are suppose to rotate QBs in these games.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #61
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I hope Florida State can land Greg Reid that kid is shut down.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My understanding is it's mainly a beef with the nepotism angle at BYU....look at this way...

Reynolds (4 brothers have cycled through)
Doman (4 family members)
Cahoon (2 brothers)
Anae (Coaches son plays with X at Timpview, committed)
Covey (Booster money)
Fowler (Blaine was a QB back in the 80's, his son was the senior FS)
White (Danny Whites son)
Ah You (2 borthers)
Collie (Austin is the 3rd of his family to play at BYU)
Kozlowski (son of Glen, McMahon's WR)
White (Danny whites son)
Unga (2 brothers)

He is looking at this big family thing, I hope it plays out well and he stays because I know a few of his cousins are on the team.

Hmm, I must not be paying attention, but this seems to argue for him coming to BYU, not against him. After all, he already has family on the team. He doesn't like the nepotism angle...and yet he is poised to benefit from said same nepotism? Or is this some stand on principle, wherein he doesn't want to succeeed where there is even the suggestion of nepotism aiding his cause? If so, that seems kind of out of place, to hold to such a high moral standard as a kid his age, and especially when everyone already pretty much acknowledges he has the talent to play for any D1 team (so, not like he needs the nepotism help).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #63
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Reid almost had another INT. I feel bad for white's other QBs, the coaches on that team must be in love with Barkley's arm so much that they have forgotten that you are suppose to rotate QBs in these games.

Yeah, that frustrated me. I would have liked to see a little more Brehaut (even though he didn't play well while in there).

Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 PM   #64
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hmm, I must not be paying attention, but this seems to argue for him coming to BYU, not against him. After all, he already has family on the team. He doesn't like the nepotism angle...and yet he is poised to benefit from said same nepotism? Or is this some stand on principle, wherein he doesn't want to succeeed where there is even the suggestion of nepotism aiding his cause? If so, that seems kind of out of place, to hold to such a high moral standard as a kid his age, and especially when everyone already pretty much acknowledges he has the talent to play for any D1 team (so, not like he needs the nepotism help).

Yeah I don't know....I feel like the Uona and Havili thing with him is happening again
Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #65
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, Campanaro looks like a good get for Wake Forest, but that said, that announcer is a dumbass. My understanding is that UCLA commit Robby Toma also caught all the balls in that skills test, and that Toma in fact won that whole skills test competition for WRs. It would have been nice for the announcer to at least have known that.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #66
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Disappointing Alipate didn't see more time. From the throws he made it really looks like he's got really nice arm strength.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #67
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, that frustrated me. I would have liked to see a little more Brehaut (even though he didn't play well while in there).

And black pulled Shep while he was in the middle of a drive for a potential tie. Ah well.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #68
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah I don't know....I feel like the Uona and Havili thing with him is happening again

Heh...Uona. Don't get me started there, considering Mr Travelling Commit also committed to UCLA for a time before ending up in South Central.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #69
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And black pulled Shep while he was in the middle of a drive for a potential tie. Ah well.

Saw that. Love his athleticism, which is always a bonus in college (although looking at Vick and Young and so forth, I am questioning more if that style of QB can work in the NFL--short of being an exceptional player on top of being athletic; of course, NFL is way, way in the future...)

Old 01-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #70
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Saw that. Love his athleticism, which is always a bonus in college (although looking at Vick and Young and so forth, I am questioning more if that style of QB can work in the NFL--short of being an exceptional player on top of being athletic; of course, NFL is way, way in the future...)

Unfortunately for his NFL future, I am pretty sure he will stay at QB. He has a good enough attitude and work ethic that at QB his basement is a slightly more athletic Pat White. Even if LSU doesn't want that that kind of player as their primary/only QB, you don't pass up having that kind of weapon behind center for certain situations.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #71
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Heh. Who was saying that Brehaut was as good as Barkley on here again?

No one. The only one whose called a player overrated was you calling Pressley overrated the minute he switched his verbal to UCLA
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #72
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

No, I just responded to you using the most favorable rating and said that some scouting services hadn't rated him as high. By the way, Pressley didn't look good last night, dropping several catchable passes.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #73
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
No, I just responded to you using the most favorable rating and said that some scouting services hadn't rated him as high. By the way, Pressley didn't look good last night, dropping several catchable passes.

Which scouting services dont have him rated that high?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #74
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Rivals for one. You said he was a #1 TE 5 star player. Rivals has him as a 4 star TE who is ranked 3rd at the position. That was my point. It was still an impressive get for Slick Rick, but really not that surprising in retrospect with all of Pressley's UCLA connections.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #75
MrBug708
Head Coach

As I believe I have said before, I dont bother with Rivals.

But what makes him overrated compared to other TE's? You listed one scouting service, but what are the other services that have him lower then #1?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #76
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
As I believe I have said before, I dont bother with Rivals.

But what makes him overrated compared to other TE's? You listed one scouting service, but what are the other services that have him lower then #1?

If you want to dismiss a major service, that is your choice. As far as why I think he is overrated compared to other TE's, he is too slender to be an effective blocker. That being said, there are rumors that Slick Rick has promised him he'll play WR, so that might not be an issue. Then again, I don't think his speed is nearly as special at WR.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #77
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
If you want to dismiss a major service, that is your choice.

Didn't you? UCLA's Rival site is soring lacking and Rivals is medicore when it comes to basketball.

Quote:
As far as why I think he is overrated compared to other TE's, he is too slender to be an effective blocker.

You don't think it's possible that an 17 year old won't add muscle mass to his body?

Quote:
That being said, there are rumors that Slick Rick has promised him he'll play WR, so that might not be an issue. Then again, I don't think his speed is nearly as special at WR.

He is 6'4/213/4.53. Compare those numbers to 6'5/210/4.5 of another TE who played pretty well as a WR in college.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #78
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sure, he'll add muscle mass. But there are other TE's, such as Logan Thomas, who are more complete right now and that is why I think his #1 ranking is a bit overrated. I didn't dismiss Scouts. I just stated that I think he is overrated a bit and that he isn't a consensus #1 TE or a consensus 5 star player.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #79
MrBug708
Head Coach

This is the same rivals who demoted Matt Barkley right?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #80
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
This is the same rivals who demoted Matt Barkley right?

Yeah, with most of his starters gone, he had a relatively bad year statistically that got his ranking demoted. Of course, in the games where his offensive line actually gave him protection, he did well. I'm confident that his line at USC will be much better
Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #81
MrBug708
Head Coach

I would assume so. I do hope that Sanchez leaves early though, Im curious to see how the QB spot would shake out next year then. If Barkley doesnt win the job, things could get interesting!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #82
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Eaglesfan I think your being a bit of a homer for calling Pressley overrated, all those rankings are subjective. From what I saw out of him he is most certainly one of the best tightends in the country. Also rivals is known to put alot of stock in their camps for players to be rated high.

Guys like Willie Downs, Ray Ray Armstrong and countless others should be five star prospects but they did not go to all of the camps and thus are four stars. I think Ray Ray is one of the best players in the country and a definate top 10.