Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #51
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I think Obama's clean. He ran his first campaign against the machine and got clobbered. He got into the State Senate without a lot of machine help and was never very high in the in-state politics. He won the primary for U.S. Senate after the two "connected" candidates self-imploded and he won the GE for that seat without needing much help after Ryan (another Ryan) self-destructed.

I think it's altogether likely he a) never had to resort to shenanigans and b) never became indebted to anyone.

You really believe that, huh? Not saying Obama's dirty (or dirtier than your standard politico), but there's a typical sense I have seen from his supporters in hoping he's some golden knight. If he is, he's the first in a long, long while. And if he wasn't indebted after the Illinois campaigns, you can certainly bet he is now that he's President.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #52
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This is all getting a bit seedy. Obama advisor Axelrod in November says that Obama had talked with Blago about the senate opening and was happy with the choices available. Then, Axelrod makes a public statement yesterday saying he was mistaken back in November.

The Obama campaign said they had no conversations with Blago about the seat, yet one of the main allegations is that Blago tried to sell the seat to Obama in exchange for a spot in his administration. How can that happen if someone hasn't talked to Blago?

FWIW.....I think Obama's crew is being far too cautious. Just fess up that he call you and you told him to go to hell. If more was involved, Blago is the type that will tell all anyway, so you won't be able to avoid that.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #53
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
That's the hilarious thing. He looked and acted liked a sleeze to begin with. There were very few illusions that he anything BUT a sleezeball. The other side still didn't have a snowball's chance in hell, thanks to Rod's future cellmate, George Ryan.
Agreed. When the downstate Democrats voted overwhelmingly for him in the Democratic primary (based mainly on pretty firm anti-tax pledges) it was all over, as the Republicans were running in a bad climate.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #54
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
FWIW.....I think Obama's crew is being far too cautious. Just fess up that he call you and you told him to go to hell. If more was involved, Blago is the type that will tell all anyway, so you won't be able to avoid that.

I have this image of Obama sitting in his office right now, smoking about 5,000 cigarettes, muttering, "Fuck Shit, God Dammit, Assshole." over and over.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #55
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I have this image of Obama sitting in his office right now, smoking about 5,000 cigarettes, muttering, "Fuck Shit, God Dammit, Assshole." over and over.

More like sitting on a stack of pillows being the Golden Child.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #56
Thomkal
Head Coach

And McCain is probably shaking his head and mumbling over and over "why didn't this happen before the election, why?"
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #57
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You really believe that, huh? Not saying Obama's dirty (or dirtier than your standard politico), but there's a typical sense I have seen from his supporters in hoping he's some golden knight.

OK, let me be clear. I believe that Obama, unlike a lot of your standard Illinois politicians, has not, as part of his political career:

1. Done anything illegal.
2. Engaged in Illinois' standard "pay-to-play" politics.

I say this based less on my judgment of the man and more on the circumstances. He was never really a Democratic establishment figure in the state until he won that Senate seat, at which point he was beyond the realm of the party bosses anyway. He didn't, really, have a long career in Illinois politics, so he didn't have the breadth of opportunities a Blago had.

I'm not saying he's the golden knight who is going to bring about world peace (I don't think I ever said that, even during the campaign). I just don't think it's likely he practiced the same corruption in which your average IL politician indulges.

Quote:

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #58
chris3627
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
But what does that say about the state that we could have two governors -- from opposite parties -- in jail at the same time?

Unfortunately this is too representative of the life and times in this state. Even with all these charges and allegations, Blago is only 3rd on my list of the most currently corrupt politicians around here behind Daley and Stroger.

Quote:
Fixed.

Nobody gets that high in Illinois politics without getting dirty. You said it. It's a freakin' cesspool.

+1

Obama doesn't seem to be a crook like too many Illinois politicians, but if you think he's clean then you are forgetting that he has been willing to cozy up with the bs artists and scum of the state, to get his (very very limited) agenda passed. When you're political godfather is Emil Jones and you have never come out saying a bad word (none that I can remember) about any of corruption going on (while being a us senator which helps makes you immune to more of the local squabbling) that doesn't speak well to me.

And while I think Quinn can do an honest job as the next governor, I wish to nominate either one of the Fitzgeralds (Peter or Pat), maybe they can be a tag team.
chris3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #59
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I noticed that MSNBC confirmed that 'Senate Candidate #5' in the list of charges is Jesse Jackson Jr.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #60
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I noticed that MSNBC confirmed that 'Senate Candidate #5' in the list of charges is Jesse Jackson Jr.

Big surprise there.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #61
chris3627
n00b

Quote:

The Tribune and SunTimes have also reported that. That's a bit of a shocker. I thought he might've had some kind of inside track and didn't really need to offer the money. I guess he got desperate and wanted to seal the deal. Now we can eliminate one more from the running as a senator. Before there is any kind of selection or election of a new senator, I want to hear who candidates 3 and 4 and if they offered anything. And who else might have offered something. Seems like #1 is Valerie Jarrett and #2 is Lisa Madigan (who was never interested in the job.)
chris3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #62
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Couple of big news stories. First, a Chicago Sun-Times columnist is reporting that Obama Chief of Staff Rahm is on 21 separate taped conversations with Blago. Obviously a problem for Obama if true, as he's already claimed that none of his staff had any conversations with Blago about the situation.......

Rahm's calls on tape :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Michael Sneed

Quote:
Rahm's calls on tape
The Blago scandal . . .

December 16, 2008
BY MICHAEL SNEED Sun-Times Columnist

Sneed hears rumbles President-elect Barack Obama's chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, is reportedly on 21 different taped conversations by the feds -- dealing with his boss' vacant Senate seat!

A lot of chit-chat?

Hot air?

Or trouble?

To date: Rahm's been mum. Stay tuned.

In addition, multiple media sources are reporting that Jesse Jackson Jr. is actually a federal informant and has been for a few years. No telling how much information he's passed on to federal authorities. This has the potential to become a very big political crackdown.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-17-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #63
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Bear in mind that Item #97 of Fitzgerald's Criminal Complaint against Blagojevich claims that a particular Sun-Times columnist (almost certainly Sneed) was fed leaks specifically from Blagojevich to reproduce almost verbatim in her column in an effort to get Obama to play ball.

This would not be, either, the first time Sneed has operated as a Blagojevich surrogate in the Sun Times.

Now, it could certainly be true that Rahm talked to Blagojevich's office about the Senate appointment. And it could certainly be true, as Obama said, that no one on his transition team did "anything inappropriate". It could also be true, as Fitzgerald stated repeatedly in his news conference, that Obama was unaware of the horse-trading in which Blagojevich was engaging over his Senate seat.

Here's what I think happened.

1. Obama sends Rahm to talk to Blagojevich's chief of staff about who they'd like to take Obama's Senate seat (Valerie Jarrett, apparently).

2. Harris (Blagojevich's chief of staff) & Blagojevich start their discussion about what they can get from Obama.

3. Rahm plays ball a little bit until he realizes that this isn't the usual quid pro quo regarding political appointments, but is much, much more overt.

4. Rahm brings the issue to various Obama people (probably Jarrett who at this time removes herself from consideration), and possibly even Obama himself.

5. Someone (possibly Obama) says "Fuck that shit" and calls up Pat Fitzgerald.

...and that's assuming Sneed's rumor is true, which is a pretty big assumption.... Read her columns on the VT shootings if you want to see how fact-averse she really is.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:15 AM   #64
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Couple of big news stories. First, a Chicago Sun-Times columnist is reporting that Obama Chief of Staff Rahm is on 21 separate taped conversations with Blago. Obviously a problem for Obama if true, as he's already claimed that none of his staff had any conversations with Blago about the situation.......

This is not true. Obama has said that he did not contact the Gov or staff and that his staff did not discuss trading favors for the seat. Considering both Obama and his Chief of Staff are from IL it would be a lot weirder if someone in Emmanuel HADN'T talked.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #65
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
This is not true. Obama has said that he did not contact the Gov or staff and that his staff did not discuss trading favors for the seat. Considering both Obama and his Chief of Staff are from IL it would be a lot weirder if someone in Emmanuel HADN'T talked.

OK, I'll buy that. But why not just be open about it from the start? Playing verbal games like that doesn't do anything to help Obama or his staff in this situation. Rahm has been surprisingly quiet rather than coming out to deny everything. My guess is that we'll read these transcripts once the formal charges are released and Obama and Rahm probably won't end up nearly as squeaky clean as they'd like you to think. I don't think they broke any laws, but they were involved in the seedy side of politics, which directly contradicts Obama's campaign of change.

I go back to my previous point earlier in the thread. The candidate of change shouldn't be the one hiding in this situation. He obviously failed to fully check out his cabinet members. Just admit that mistakes were made, but that no laws were broken. The current approach only brings about further concern.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-17-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #66
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
OK, I'll buy that. But why not just be open about it from the start? Playing verbal games like that doesn't do anything to help Obama or his staff in this situation. Rahm has been surprisingly quiet rather than coming out to deny everything. My guess is that we'll read these transcripts once the formal charges are released and Obama and Rahm probably won't end up nearly as squeaky clean as they'd like you to think. I don't think they broke any laws, but they were involved in the seedy side of politics, which directly contradicts Obama's campaign of change.

I go back to my previous point earlier in the thread. The candidate of change shouldn't be the one hiding in this situation. He obviously failed to fully check out his cabinet members.

I'm with you up until this point. I think the response has been pretty disappointing and disjointed from Obama. But where are you going with that last line? Are you talking about Emmanuel? If so
1. Emmanuel's not a cabinet member, he's White House Staff.
2. It's hard to vet a guy for things he hasn't done yet.
3. The whole point of the CoS is to bang heads. This will be particularly true for Rahm, I feel.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #67
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I'm with you up until this point. I think the response has been pretty disappointing and disjointed from Obama. But where are you going with that last line? Are you talking about Emmanuel? If so
1. Emmanuel's not a cabinet member, he's White House Staff.
2. It's hard to vet a guy for things he hasn't done yet.
3. The whole point of the CoS is to bang heads. This will be particularly true for Rahm, I feel.

New Mexico Governor and future Obama cabinet member is under grand jury investigation for a 'pay to play' scheme regarding contracts that were awarded under his administration. Also, although technically not cabinet, I'm sure that Obama was aware of Rahm's dealings. It makes no sense to assume otherwise.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #68
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't understand what Emanuel is supposed to have done? Part of the report states that Blagojevich was unable to get Obama's team to deal with him. They were only willing to "give him appreciation", so he said, "fuck 'em!"

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #69
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Personally speaking, I'm looking forward to the next eight years of MBBF, citizen crusader.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #70
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I don't understand what Emanuel is supposed to have done? Part of the report states that Blagojevich was unable to get Obama's team to deal with him. They were only willing to "give him appreciation", so he said, "fuck 'em!"

It doesn't take 21 calls to say 'No'. I don't think he did anything illegal, but the association is bad enough from a PR perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Personally speaking, I'm looking forward to the next eight years of MBBF, citizen crusader.

Obviously, you're dripping with sarcasm with this post. But I don't think there's anyone too sad to see this happen. Everyone that I know that lives in Chicago is giddy with delight at the thought that the house of cards otherwise known as the Chicago political machine could come tumbling down in public. Hopefully Obama's only connection is Rahm's phone calls because our country doesn't need any further involvement of the future president.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #71
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

No, I was being quite serious.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #72
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I'm glad we're switching up crusaders, I was getting a little tired of the last batch.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #73
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The last batch was too dour and humorless.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #74
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The last batch was too dour and humorless.

Amazing how animated that same group is now that they carry the cross of the Chosen One.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #75
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The Chosen One... man, will that EVER get old?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #76
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Hopefully Obama's only connection is Rahm's phone calls because our country doesn't need any further involvement of the future president.

In math terms, the sincerity of these two statements is equivalent

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #77
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm glad we're switching up crusaders, I was getting a little tired of the last batch.

Democracy in ACTION!

Quote:
Amazing how animated that same group is now that they carry the cross of the Chosen One.

Well, not me. I already did my 8-year stint from 1992 to 2000. I'm not doing that again. Attacking the President is much easier and a lot more fun. Wake me when we've got a Republican in power again.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #78
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
In math terms, the sincerity of these two statements is equivalent

SI

In education terms, the reliability of a beaker's math skills should always be questioned.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #79
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

I still haven't decided how I feel about this getting much more media/discussion than giving away $800 Billion dollars did a month ago. $50K or whatever the amounts are here is relatively spare change.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #80
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Well, not me. I already did my 8-year stint from 1992 to 2000. I'm not doing that again. Attacking the President is much easier and a lot more fun. Wake me when we've got a Republican in power again.

So true. I'm waiting for a Flasch truth report regarding the Rahm and Richardson situations. He said he always searches for the truth regardless of party affiliation. I'm assuming he'll be posting every article about these situations, much like the Troopergate charges that resulted in Palin being cleared of wrongdoing.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #81
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
In education terms, the reliability of a beaker's math skills should always be questioned.

Never question Beaker.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #82
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
It doesn't take 21 calls to say 'No'.

RE: Hi John, Rahm Emmanuel here.
JH: Hey Rahm. Congrats on the new position. Please give our best to the President Elect.
RE: Thanks, and I'll pass that along.
JH: What's up?
RE: Big O asked me to talk to you guys to see who you're looking into for his Senate seat.
JH: We haven't talked about it seriously yet. Let me get back to you.
RE: OK.

JH: Blago has a lot of names on the table. JJJ's the only one to come forward to us yet, though. Did you ever notice, by the way, that he sits really close to you when you meet in person?
RE: Can't say I ever noticed that. Anyway, Big O would like you to consider Valerie Jarrett.
JH: Has she ever held office?
RE: No, so?
JH: Let me talk to Mr. Helmet Hair.
RE: OK.

JH: Hey Rahm, Blago's willing to consider your candidate. On a related note, he was wondering if Big O has mentioned anything about working together over the next few years.
RE: Good stuff. Well, I think if you could go with Jarrett we'd be likely to help the governor out in any way on legislative priorities that are of a mutual benefit. I mean, they're both Democrats, right? Haha.
JH: Haha. Good one. I'll talk to Rod.

JH: Hey Rahm, so... wait, did you hear that?
RE: The line has a lot of interference. Let me call you back.

JH: OK, that's better. So, Blago wants to know what other things he could work on with Big O besides legislative priorities.
RE: Such as?
JH: Well, you have other appointments to fill....
RE: What does he want?
JH: HHS?
RE: I think Daschle's already got the inside track on that one.
JH: DHS?
RE: Fuck off.
JH: OK, just kidding.
RE: I'll check with the transition team.

RE: Bad news, JH, I don't think we can appoint Blago to anything due to the federal investigation.
JH: Crappy. I wish Fitz would just indict us or not already.
RE: Fo shizzle. But you know how it is.
JH: Let me follow-up with Rod again.

JH: OK, let me bottom-line this. We're going to need something tangible to go with Jarrett.
RE: What do you mean "tangible"?
JH: Rod's sick of being governor, and has managed to blow a lot of money, personally. Could Big O swing a cushy appointment to a do-nothing, pay well job?
RE: Uh....
JH: If not for Helmet Hair, then maybe for Mrs. Helmet Hair? I mean, she's got a Series 7 and everything!
RE: Er, any other options?
JH: $500,000 in unmarked bills.
RE: Ah, I thought you were pulling my leg.
JH: Am I?
RE: Are you?
JH: Sorry, line's gone bad again.
RE: We need to get these phones fixed. It's like there's an echo here.

RE: Talked to Big O & Jarrett. Answer is no. They want to be all squeaky clean and whatnot. Jarrett wants out of consideration, as well.
JH: Squeaky clean? Do they realize which state they're in?
RE: Yeah, I know, but them's the breaks.
JH: Well shit, Rod's going to be pissed. Maybe JJJ will play ball.
RE: I didn't hear that?
JH: Yeah, who are you again?
RE: Heh, take care man.
JH: Same.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #83
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
much like the Troopergate charges that resulted in Palin being cleared of wrongdoing.

lol

The report specifically stated she overstepped her authority and was influenced by a personal grudge. While not illegal, she was in no way cleared of wrongdoing.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-17-2008 at 10:03 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #84
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There is no high profile prosecuter I trust more than Fitz. If Obama or his staff did anything wrong we'll find out soon enough.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #85
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The report specifically stated she overstepped her authority and was influenced by a personal grudge. While not illegal, she was in no way cleared of wrongdoing.

Which is exactly what I'm asserting in this case. I said that Obama likely didn't do anything illegal, but it's a bit seedy. I'm sure Flasch will come through with his truth detector and clear this all up soon enough.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #86
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Which is exactly what I'm asserting in this case. I said that Obama likely didn't do anything illegal, but it's a bit seedy. I'm sure Flasch will come through with his truth detector and clear this all up soon enough.

The problem is that your assertion is in contradiction with answers Fitzgerald gave to reporters (repeated many times) during his press conference. I encourage you to read the transcript in full.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #87
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

Rahm's calls on tape :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Michael Sneed

In addition, multiple media sources are reporting that Jesse Jackson Jr. is actually a federal informant and has been for a few years. No telling how much information he's passed on to federal authorities. This has the potential to become a very big political crackdown.

talking to him isnt a bad thing at all....what is said is and until we find out what is said how can we judge....we cant. If he did something wrong or said something wrong he'll be kicked out like he should be. I assume that everyone will cooperate (as I said in the other thread) and the truth and consequences will bear out. If he said, "Hmmmm, we dont like candidate X and we do Like candidate Y" that's fine and should be expected in a 2 party system. If he said, "We like candidate Y and will give you a spot in the admin if you pick him." then he'll go bye-bye.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #88
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
So true. I'm waiting for a Flasch truth report regarding the Rahm and Richardson situations. He said he always searches for the truth regardless of party affiliation. I'm assuming he'll be posting every article about these situations, much like the Troopergate charges that resulted in Palin being cleared of wrongdoing.

Well considering she wasnt we have no where to go with this.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #89
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think he did anything illegal.

Is this the same as "cleared" in your earlier precedent? If so, than where are you going on your slippery slope. You do want the truth to come out right?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #90
Flasch186
Coordinator

here's your article to make MBBF happy:

Obama team defends Emanuel in Blagojevich probe - Yahoo! News

and this is the fork in the road:

Quote:
inappropriate.

Discussing the Senate seat would not be illegal. But what has remained unclear is whether Emanuel or Jarrett, who removed herself from consideration for being appointed to the Senate seat, were aware that Blagojevich was seeking a financial reward from whoever was picked.

when we find out if Emmanuel asked for something for the appointment we get our culmination. Until then it's 'Assertion's that come from MBBF.

and please just admit you were completely and utterly wrong in regards to polling and the elections and you can at least start over.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 12-17-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #91
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
You do want the truth to come out right?

Absolutely. I'm interested to see all the critical analysis of the situation from the Truth Watch(TM) home office.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #92
Flasch186
Coordinator

what analysis? Im not starting a parallel investigation and get my articles as stated before from the 2 sites i visit most often:

Yahoo
CNN

I dont go blogging. You assert. I read.

When you said "Absolutely." were you admitting to being so awfully wrong in your predictions, assertions, and speculations leading up to the election?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 12-17-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #93
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I think that they've already shown they can't take it as well as they give it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #94
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #95
RainMaker
General Manager

I highly doubt Obama did anything illegal here. That's just not how he's operated over the years. He's also been very careful to distance himself from Blago at every turn during his campaign.

I do think he's retarded for having Emanuel as his Chief. He should have gone for someone outside Chicago politics who doesn't have his nose in everyone's business. Still, Emanuel doesn't seem like the type that gives in on stuff like that. He comes across as the type who tells Blago who he's going to pick and the political consequences if he doesn't.

Lets also not forget that if there was anything incriminating between Rahm and Blago, it would have shown up in the complaint.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #96
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm just amazed that anyone would be surprised by any level of involvement in this (other than none) by The Golden Child's cronies. I'd be surprised if he was foolish enough to be directly involved in it this quickly because plausible deniability seems to be a well established political rule at this point but to think that the people associated with him wouldn't be involved approaches the height of naivety. And as revolting a specimen as I find BHO to be, I won't pretend that the same couldn't be said for most people in his position regardless of party affiliation.

The situation here comes about courtesy of the degree of ineptitude with which Blago seems to have played his part. If he isn't so ham fisted about it then we aren't having any of this discussion.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #97
Flasch186
Coordinator

however if he wasnt so stupid it eventually couldve truly sucked in some of the people on the fringe. So even if a guy like emmanuel couldve gotten involved in a dirty or illegal way because Blago was so stupid and blatant it probably kept a lot of people clean that perhaps couldve otherwise been.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #98
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm just amazed that anyone would be surprised by any level of involvement in this (other than none) by The Golden Child's cronies. I'd be surprised if he was foolish enough to be directly involved in it this quickly because plausible deniability seems to be a well established political rule at this point but to think that the people associated with him wouldn't be involved approaches the height of naivety. And as revolting a specimen as I find BHO to be, I won't pretend that the same couldn't be said for most people in his position regardless of party affiliation.

The situation here comes about courtesy of the degree of ineptitude with which Blago seems to have played his part. If he isn't so ham fisted about it then we aren't having any of this discussion.
I don't think it'd be surprising that there would be corruption, I think it would be surprising to see it with Blago. I live in Chicago and EVERYONE knew that it was a matter of time before he was arrested. EVERYONE knew he was under serious investigations. Whether you like him or not, Obama has put a group of people together during the campaign that was smart and stayed out of trouble. It would just go against everything we've seen from the people he surrounds himself with. I can't fathom they'd be that stupid to open themselves up to this with a guy who they knew was being investigated.

And why is Obama such a revolting specimen? I'm not a diehard fan of his or anything, but I don't see anything he's done to be so revolting.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 AM   #99
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think it'd be surprising that there would be corruption, I think it would be surprising to see it with Blago. I live in Chicago and EVERYONE knew that it was a matter of time before he was arrested. EVERYONE knew he was under serious investigations.

Similarly, I'm shocked that the entire Daley family doesn't have a family cell in the state pen yet. His comments saying he was 'shocked' about the Blago indictment were laughable.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #100
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am guessing Dear Leader O and his henchman Chief of Staff shared a huge fat blunt before Rahm went to go to talk to the Chicago political power trust.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote