Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #51
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate Best Buy passionately, so I will be sad if CC goes away. Granted I end up buying the majority of my shit at Sears. Employee discount ftw!

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #52
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Theoretically there should be some amazing deals on stuff like TV displays in the upcoming months. They won't ship those out. At some point I'm sure they will be giving them away, probably for close to half off or more. Boxed items will probably be hard to come buy. If you do buy one of their open box items, definitley decline their warranty. If you want a warranty, go through some place like Mack online, can't think of the other places I've heard are good.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #53
rjolley
College Starter

My wife asked me how the return policy and warranty will work with there being no stores in the area. For computers, shipping it out is possible, but what about tvs? Would they provide a service contract with another agency, or is it basically an as-is deal?

I'm guessing limited return...buy it, get it home, and make sure it works before the place closes.

Last edited by rjolley : 11-03-2008 at 11:25 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 PM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

In theory, test in the store. It should be covered by the manufacturers warranty for the first year from purchase, or whatever the TV's original warranty is. But you'll definitely make sure you register it with the manufacturer. With a display item, a technician will be able to see the total amount of hours that it's been on. Usually in a retail setting, one year of being on the floor is equivalent to approximately of 3 years of home viewing. Granted you don't have the constant on/off switching. But you do run some risk that if certain parts fail 6-8 months into the manufacturers warranty(after you bought it), that they'd say it's not a defective part that's causing your troubles. And it's due to normal wear and tear, which typically is not covered. LCD replacement panels, for instance, often cost as much as the set does. Once you account for installation, trip charges, etc.

So, in short, I would hesitate before buying any open box LCD or Plasma TV, unless you are willing to accept those conditions. Or are willing to spend a little bit extra on some sort of 3rd party warranty service contract. Although that kills the deal basically.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #55
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Like MBBF, I can't say I'm terribly surprised about this but I hate to see it happen from a consumer standpoint (I hate to see it happen economically too but I understand it).

The CC here is head & shoulders better with customer service than the BB (which seems to just get worse & worse) and I actually enjoyed shopping there.

Ditto. And our store always seemed busy. Oh, well.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #56
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I dropped by my local store last night just to see if there were any deals. To me, it looked like these employees got blindsided. There were no deals at all because of the immediate nature of the notification/closing. Also, they were tearing down the store at 5:00 PM when I went in there. They weren't planning on staying there long after closing time.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
There were no deals at all because of the immediate nature of the notification/closing.

I believe the press release said the plan was to be closed today (Tuesday) and that the closing sales would begin on Wednesday when they re-opened.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #58
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I believe the press release said the plan was to be closed today (Tuesday) and that the closing sales would begin on Wednesday when they re-opened.

Oh, I didn't catch that. That makes a bit more sense. I guess they were tearing down all the signage to get ready for Wednesday then. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #59
Capital
High School Varsity

It's a shame because it is one less player for price competition. Also, CC was oftentimes willing to meet prices from another retailer. Oh well...
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #60
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Here's another black mark on Jim Collins' Good to Great book. Don't know if you read that pop-economics sensation, but the premise of the book was focusing on 11 companies that went from being "good" to "great" and embodied the principles of being "built to last" -- the title of his previous book. Two of the 11 companies profiled were Fannie Mae and Circuit City. D'oh.
I had to read both of these for a management course. Weirdly, Built to Last I thought was actually pretty good, but Good to Great was trash thrown out to capitalize on the success of the first one. Although it did seem one trend wasn't being mentioned - that all but one or two of the CEO's profiled in the first one were no-nonsense ex-military people. (So you're saying being disciplined, hard working, fair and have the calm management style that comes from having management experience in a war zone helps create a lasting company. Shocking.)
Quote:
People just don't get that if you have a whiz-bang management theory on to make a company "great" or "built to last," you make a lot more money putting in practice than shelling it out to the sheep at $25.95 a pop in hardcover.
But if you have a management practice that only sounds good, and doesn't actually have applicable value going forward, you make more selling the $29.95.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #61
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm going to re-hash a post I made on March 3, 2007. This was my last real experience with Circuit City (at a store in Louisiana which is apparently closing):

[/color]

I don't hold a grudge or anything. I have a Best Buy less than 10 minutes from my house, and the closest Circuit City is about 30 minutes away. I don't expect great customer service at either place (call me jaded, I suppose), so I just go to the one that's closer. It's just that my experience above is how I will always think of Circuit City, so I'm not terribly surprised that 836 of their stores are closing.

Listen...instead of whining, why don't you just open your own "Tircuit City" stores.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Listen...instead of whining, why don't you just open your own "Tircuit City" stores.

Is this a Cyril response?
Old 11-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #63
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

i am so done
Old 11-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #64
MJ4H
Coordinator

Danger Will Robinson.
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #65
MikeVic
Head Coach

hahaha.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #66
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I guess I need to go to CC tomorrow afternoon and see what good shit they have.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #67
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Are there any places where they are advertising the clearance? Any word on how long this clearance period will last? I'm going to drop by after work to see if prices have dropped at all.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #68
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I worked for CC about a decade ago when they were expanding into the midwest. It was a great place to work. All of the salespeople were commission and it was a really professional place to work. A couple of years after I left, they dumped all of the "pros", dumped commission, and went with $8/hr kids. The customer service level dropped and the stores started to age.

The Best Buy in my area expanded and remodeled and it appears that they have doubled their work force. You cannot walk down an aisle without being asked if you need help.

After 15 years in retail, I firmly believe that a company and store managers set the tone for customer service. A company can be fully on board, but if the store manager doesn't care, the employees won't care (the opposite is true as well. A good store manager can make a crappy company look pretty good).
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #69
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I worked for CC about a decade ago when they were expanding into the midwest. It was a great place to work. All of the salespeople were commission and it was a really professional place to work. A couple of years after I left, they dumped all of the "pros", dumped commission, and went with $8/hr kids. The customer service level dropped and the stores started to age.

The Best Buy in my area expanded and remodeled and it appears that they have doubled their work force. You cannot walk down an aisle without being asked if you need help.

After 15 years in retail, I firmly believe that a company and store managers set the tone for customer service. A company can be fully on board, but if the store manager doesn't care, the employees won't care (the opposite is true as well. A good store manager can make a crappy company look pretty good).

Clarke Howard was pointing that out as the death-knell to CC. They cleaned house about 15 months ago and got rid of any long time managers or employees with higher salaries. Now, they are fighting to stay solvent. Bean counters can cut your nose off to despite your face.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #70
MJ4H
Coordinator

Any word on what kind of deals there are?
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #71
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Son of a ... I forgot all about this today until I noticed the thread bump.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #72
Shepp
High School Varsity

I went by the store at Mall of Georgia today and wasn't very impressed with the sale prices. They were pretty much 20% off DVD's and CD's, 10% off computer accessories and televisions, and 5% off laptops and computers. My guess is that the discounts will grow as the end of the years gets closer but right now they're nothing special.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #73
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I dropped in and picked up some discounted printer ink cartridges. I think that Shepp is correct that prices will drop as time goes along, though I don't know if they've said how long this clearance period will last.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #74
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Found an article in the KC Star about the liquidation sales. Says the stores will close on December 31st and prices will drop further as the closing date approaches.

http://www.kansascity.com/746/story/877216.html
Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #75
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
I went by the store at Mall of Georgia today and wasn't very impressed with the sale prices. They were pretty much 20% off DVD's and CD's, 10% off computer accessories and televisions, and 5% off laptops and computers. My guess is that the discounts will grow as the end of the years gets closer but right now they're nothing special.

same thing here in AZ too
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #76
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Yeah, the discounts are nothing to get excited about but the crap is clearing off the shelves. Don't plan on discounts going too deep -- when Organized Living did their store closings, the discounts maxed out at 30% on the good stuff. They might push out discontinued models to the closing stores to get rid of stuff but don't count on it. The store I was at today should be cleaned out well before Dec. 31. Those people buying Blu-Ray players are going to crap their pants in a few weeks.

Like a lot of things at CC, it's hit and miss. I picked up a digital recorder that was about the same price as Amazon but the other recorder I looked at was still about 25% higher than Amazon's price. I also picked up a portable mini hard drive that is $155 at Best Buy and was $135 at CC plus the 10% off.

But here's the consume warning -- I picked up five items and only one of them rang up with the discount. Four of the five rang up at full price with no discount. They fixed it but be warned to look at your receipt carefully if you head to CC.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 11-07-2008 at 03:02 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #77
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I did grab some Wii Points cards at 10% off, so that was something...

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:11 AM   #78
Izulde
Head Coach

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the discounts at all. 5% on video games, 10% on accessories and other electronics, 20% off on CDs and DVDs. I thought about a couple DVDs, but 20% isn't that much off in that area, really.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #79
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Looks like bigger problems are on the horizon for Circuit City:

Quote:
Circuit City Stores has filed for bankruptcy about a week after it said it would close 20 percent of its stores.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #80
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Looks like bigger problems are on the horizon for Circuit City:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's been expected as part of this realignment. Bankruptcy isn't necessarily a bad thing if it reduces your debt and interest expenses.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #81
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. CC is suppose to open a brand new store near my house in the next couple of months, although there is another one 5 miles down the road (which is apparently doing pretty well).
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #82
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's been expected as part of this realignment. Bankruptcy isn't necessarily a bad thing if it reduces your debt and interest expenses.

yeah, I believe this has been expected...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #83
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the discounts at all. 5% on video games, 10% on accessories and other electronics, 20% off on CDs and DVDs. I thought about a couple DVDs, but 20% isn't that much off in that area, really.

+1

I drove 30 minutes out to the nearest CC that was closing down, and I wasn't too impressed too. I'm imagining as time progresses, we'll hopefully be seeing larger savings akin to how CompUSA did it over here in SD.

At least I managed to get a Commodores Greatest Hits CD out of it.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #84
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
At least I managed to get a Commodores Greatest Hits CD out of it.

I miss my Amiga...
Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #85
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I take everything back ... DO NOT GO TO CIRCUIT CITY'S STORE CLOSING SALES UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET HOSED!

Aside from my fake discount problem when four of the five items on my receipt didn't ring up with any discount, they will not honor any warranties.

I purchased a digital recorder that had a fair price on it, although I later found that had a I searched a little harder I might have been able to find it online for a similar price with shipping. I open it up and take it out, and the recorder has a system error. I consult the manual and it actually says if you get this error return it to where you purchased it or submit to an Olympus repair center.

I returned to the store and simply wanted to exchange it for a working recorder -- they had at least one more in stock on the shelf. They wouldn't do it, and told me to call customer service. I got on the phone with their customer service number, explained I purchased the device at one of their stores that is closing and that it didn't work and the customer service people told me that I should be able to exchange it. The store still refused. I was polite for as long as I could be. I asked them to call their corporate office. She went in the back and came out with instructions on how to send something to an Olympus repair center.

I then told them I was glad they were going out of business and walked out.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #86
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Well, that didn't work. According to CNBC CC is going to be liquidated.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #87
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I went about a month ago and they had huge discounts. Bought myself Deadwood 2nd season for $20 and a PC with 4GB Ram for $350.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #88
rowech
Pro Starter

I called on December 26th to replace the lamp in our TV...thanks to our warranty, fully covered. Was "out of stock" and the order was on hold. I call Monday of this week and am told this but that things have been restocked and I can expect it to go out this week. Now this. I'm going to be livid if they yanked my chain for a month on this and there won't be a damn thing I'm going to be able to do about it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #89
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Ah, now the fun part: discount employee shopping. There's always a few people left at any retail establishment that knows it's dying that aren't proactive enough to jump the sinking ship before the closings are announced (too much ambition) but who are loyal and competent enough to see these things through to the bitter end. I've found you can almost always walk into a closeout sale and walk away with two or three interviews lined up with people who need a job quick and are worth hiring.

EDIT: I should point out I run a retail business. This isn't some sort of Subby/Fritz type kink deal.

Last edited by Shkspr : 01-16-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #90
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Ah, now the fun part: discount employee shopping. There's always a few people left at any retail establishment that knows it's dying that aren't proactive enough to jump the sinking ship before the closings are announced (too much ambition) but who are loyal and competent enough to see these things through to the bitter end. I've found you can almost always walk into a closeout sale and walk away with two or three interviews lined up with people who need a job quick and are worth hiring.

EDIT: I should point out I run a retail business. This isn't some sort of Subby/Fritz type kink deal.

very true!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #91
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As if Best Buy didn't already have an invisible sign up that says "We can treat you like #$%@ and you can't do anything about it"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-16-2009 at 02:39 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #92
RendeR
Coordinator

All three locations in western NY are closing. Good Riddance to bad Rubbish IMO. I'll likely survey the remains when the closeout sales begin. nothing like picking over the corpse of a dead company.

Steve and barry's and Linen's and things both shut down around here right after the holiday also.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #93
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was becoming. A Steve and Barrys fan and then it was gone. Sigh.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #94
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

i enjoyed this punctuation and capitalization.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #95
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

From what I've read Steve and Barry's was just a big ponzi scheme. They'd get money from mall/shopping center folks to open stores that sold goods too cheaply to ever earn a profit. So long as they opened enough stores they stayed afloat, but when the growth slowed they were doomed.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #96
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i enjoyed this punctuation and capitalization.

Cell phone post. Sorry if I offend. Too much work to find certain keys.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #97
cuervo72
Head Coach

I thought it had a rather poetic quality.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #98
rowech
Pro Starter

So what kind of deals do you think we're going to see with this?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #99
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Cell phone post. Sorry if I offend. Too much work to find certain keys.

Furniture store? I thought I saw a store with that name going out of business here.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #100
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
So what kind of deals do you think we're going to see with this?

Probably nothing terribly special for smaller items, especially things like iPods which can be re-allocated to another retailer by the manufacturer.

Larger items like furniture and big-screen TVs, 'nother matter entirely.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote