Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #51
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I am all in favor of people doing what it takes to be safe, but I can't fathom how a warning of CERTAIN DEATH ends up looking like a good idea in retrospect.

If the predictions of a storm surge of 20 feet, potential waves of 50 feet, and water 9 feet deep more than a mile inland come to fruition, then the warning is spot on for those right on the coast..
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 09-12-2008 at 08:01 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #52
Celeval
Pro Starter

Good lord. Anyone still there, get the hell out.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #53
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Good lord. Anyone still there, get the hell out.

As most media outlets are mentioning, if you're still there, you're probably better off staying put rather than getting stuck on the highway in a traffic jam in a hurricane.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #54
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
As most media outlets are mentioning, if you're still there, you're probably better off staying put rather than getting stuck on the highway in a traffic jam in a hurricane.

That only goes if you are not in a mandatory evacuation zone. For those places with evacuation orders, they definitely are NOT better off staying.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #55
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
That only goes if you are not in a mandatory evacuation zone. For those places with evacuation orders, they definitely are NOT better off staying.

True. They were discussing Houston earlier and I'm pretty sure that's where the traffic jams start. I heard that the coastal areas are already pretty empty.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #56
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Google map for Houston traffic isn't that bad at the moment

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-12-2008 at 08:53 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #57
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Hunker down

and Houston traffic is ALWAYS a traffic jam on 45.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 09-12-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #58
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, and there's always one on 10 and 610 but since rush hour is almost over, it's showing as not too bad.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-12-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #59
cartman
Death Herald

A lot of places in Houston and Austin just told people to take today off or work from home. Most schools are closed as well. That definitely helps alleviate some of the traffic issues.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #60
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Holy Jesus! They've got an idiot reporter on the shoreline on FoxNews sending back video of the waves coming in. There's some BIG waves already and the storm center isn't even to the coast yet. There's a live feed on the website if anyone has a morbid curiousity.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI....CNN has a good live local feed as well.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #62
cartman
Death Herald

Oof. These guys are in a world of pain.

Coast Guard says tanker must ride out storm

Quote:
Coast Guard says tanker must ride out storm

HOUSTON — The Coast Guard says 22 people aboard a 584-foot freighter adrift in the Gulf of Mexico must ride out Hurricane Ike because it's too dangerous for a rescue attempt.

Chief Petty Officer Mike O'Berry said Friday that high winds will prevent Coast Guard aircraft or ships from reaching the ship about 90 miles southeast of Galveston. The ship has lost propulsion, he says.

No details were available on the name of the ship, which was hauling petroleum coke, or details on where it was headed.

Ike's eye was forecast to strike somewhere near Galveston late Friday, but the massive system was already buffeting Texas and Louisiana.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:47 AM   #63
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I talked with someone in Austin. They said that the storm track was shifted 100 miles to the east. He said they'd get some wind, but may not even get much rain.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #64
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
I talked with someone in Austin. They said that the storm track was shifted 100 miles to the east. He said they'd get some wind, but may not even get much rain.

And the point you are trying to make is?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #65
cartman
Death Herald

Parts of Galveston are already under water, and the eye is still 8 to 12 hours from making landfall.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #66
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And the point you are trying to make is?

You had mentioned that a lot of people were taking the day off in Austin. I was just pointing out that it sounds like their forecast has improved quite a bit over the past 24 hours.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #67
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
You had mentioned that a lot of people were taking the day off in Austin. I was just pointing out that it sounds like their forecast has improved quite a bit over the past 24 hours.

They want to keep the roads clear because Austin is one of the main evacuation destinations for those fleeing the storm.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #68
Senator

I think our Kemah place is toast.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 09-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #69
Butter
Coordinator

Sorry, man.

I hope everything turns out ok for our Houston area contingent.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #70
Lorena
Unregistered

Our kids are getting off of school early to alleviate some of the the traffic congestion. We actually got a call from our son's school late yesterday telling us he'd be in school for just a couple of hours.

My best to those in Ike's path.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #71
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
A lot of places in Houston and Austin just told people to take today off or work from home. Most schools are closed as well. That definitely helps alleviate some of the traffic issues.

Am I glad to not be on a truck right now. Last year I did almost nothing but Texas regional, so 35 and 45 were the main roads with a lot of time in and out of Houston/San Antonio/Austin. The traffic is crap between those areas on a normal day. It moves at the speed limit, but it sucks. Holidays are almost painfully slow. This kind of stuff, just insane. When the day comes that I45 and I35 are 6 lanes the whole way it will be a little better, but still a mess.

Good luck to those trying to get out. My wife has relatives who live in a bad flood area of Houston on the east side of town. Her aunt spent the last day and a half or so evacuating patients (she is a nurse) only to be sent home afterwards with little time to do anything. And word is this morning that her husband just now started to take this seriously.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #72
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Warnings and evacuations are vastly superior today, but Isaac's Storm is a great book about the 1900 Galveston hurricane that gives a good picture of what a hurricane can do in that area.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #73
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

GL Texas folks!

Man, I wonder what's up with my grandparents and my aunt/uncle down there? Assuming they're okay - they're out just west of the loop between 10 and 290.

Galveston may really be toast this time, like on a NO-level

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-12-2008 at 11:13 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #74
Butter
Coordinator

I was just watching some of the Weather Channel video from this morning.

Dude, Jim Cantore was freaking out. He was a well-dressed, videotaped version of a guy wearing a sandwich-board screaming "The End is Near!"

Hopefully, he's wrong.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #75
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

My sister, her husband, and two of their four kids live north of Houston in the Woodlands, along with my mother. They put my mom on a plane to Dallas yesterday to stay with family, since the Woodlands is expected to get 100+ mph winds (at least they were as of yesterday).
Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #76
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

well acording to thier predictions the eye of the storm is going to pass right over me. luickily im inland
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #77
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Work just let us out early, because they are expecting 60-65 MPH wind gusts here in the Baton Rouge area. We are already getting some heavy rain storms from the outer bands and have had gusts of 45 MPH at the local H.S. Water Surge is expected to be 10 plus feet as far east as Morgan City, LA.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #78
Tasan
College Starter

bulletsponge, where are you? I'm in Spring just east of 45 at Louetta. We've hunkered down here and are expecting high winds, but overall I think we'll be okay. Rain will probably be bad but we are at a real high point in our neighborhood with a very large low area a few miles to the east of us to take most of the water. Sorry to hear about your family house in Kemah, Senator. Its probably not going to make it. They are showing a guy RIGHT NOW in Kemah on the news, and there's at least 6 inches of water on the ground right now, and the surge hasn't hit yet. I45 northbound right here near our house doesn't look too bad, and if they have the counterflow going it shouldn't get much worse.

Galveston's 17 foot seawall now looks like plain coastline. The city has about 4 feet of water in places right now. They are saying completely underwater except for a few tall buildings by this evening.

The airport here by my house (IAH) closes in about 45 minutes.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #79
Tasan
College Starter

Oh yeah and most people got off work yesterday afternoon, and everything except gas stations, food, and Wal-Marts/Targets are closed today. All area schools were closed today and some got out early yesterday, and I'm talking about stuff not in evac zones.

I think people are under reacting to this because of Rita. Its going to be worse that Rita here in town (mainly on the coast) and I think alot of folks are going to get in trouble because of it.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #80
Thomkal
Head Coach

good luck to all those in Ike's path
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #81
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Oh yeah and most people got off work yesterday afternoon, and everything except gas stations, food, and Wal-Marts/Targets are closed today. All area schools were closed today and some got out early yesterday, and I'm talking about stuff not in evac zones.

I think people are under reacting to this because of Rita. Its going to be worse that Rita here in town (mainly on the coast) and I think alot of folks are going to get in trouble because of it.

Galveston is already flooding, from what i hear. They're expecting the whole island to go under.

http://www.khou.com/

http://coastguardnews.com/coast-guar...la/2008/09/12/

Last edited by sachmo71 : 09-12-2008 at 01:36 PM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #82
cartman
Death Herald

Here's a map projecting the storm surge. It does show Galveston as being completely under water at the height of the storm, as well as some communities pretty far inland.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #83
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FoxNews has Geraldo Rivera in Galveston. They went live to him and he was standing in about a foot of water next to the sea wall. Just as he started to talk, a 3-4 foot wave came across and knocked him on his ass. Some Galveston firefighters were walking by at the time. They picked him up and told him this was the only time they'd save him from the flood waters. They all laughed and walked off to the fire truck. Great stuff.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #84
Senator

yeah, Kemah has no shot.

For those who have family there or spent their lives on or near Galveston; rarely has my stomach been like this. I am just heart sick about what is happening, and is going to happen.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #85
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So do they even offer hurricane insurance in places like Galveston and New Orleans, where flooding and hurricanes are a real possibility? If so, are the premiums ridiculously high?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #86
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

To break from the doom and gloom that this pretty much is, DirecTV has one of the local Houston TV channels going for us (maybe for everyone?) on some oddball channel. A reporter was down at Galveston or around there on a beach and all of the sudden there was a guy in full bear costume walking along the water. It was rather funny to see.....
Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #87
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
FoxNews has Geraldo Rivera in Galveston. They went live to him and he was standing in about a foot of water next to the sea wall. Just as he started to talk, a 3-4 foot wave came across and knocked him on his ass. Some Galveston firefighters were walking by at the time. They picked him up and told him this was the only time they'd save him from the flood waters. They all laughed and walked off to the fire truck. Great stuff.

"This water is filthy"

Geraldo Rivera Slips And Falls On Air While Reporting On Ike (VIDEO)
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #88
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
To break from the doom and gloom that this pretty much is, DirecTV has one of the local Houston TV channels going for us (maybe for everyone?) on some oddball channel. A reporter was down at Galveston or around there on a beach and all of the sudden there was a guy in full bear costume walking along the water. It was rather funny to see.....

DirecTV ran a New Orleans station nationally during the hurricane they had a couple of weeks ago. They ran the station for a few days.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #89
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Galveston webcams - http://www.galveston.com/webcams/
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #90
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

thoughts and prayers for those affected and about to be affected.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #91
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll be giving my parents a call tonight- they're at 249 and Spring Cypress in Tomball. But being that far out, they'll get some bad weather but not horrible home destruction level stuff.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-12-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #92
astrosfan64
College Prospect

The eye of the hurricane is planned to go right through my neighborhood in Kingwood, TX. That is NE Houston.

We are right off of lake houston. The good news is we are a good 65 miles from the shore. So the storm surge doesn't bother us. We just have to worry about tornados and high winds.

This sucks, all I want to do is go to the store and get NHL 09.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 09-12-2008 at 03:39 PM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #93
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'll be giving my parents a call tonight- they're at 249 and Spring Cypress in Tomball. But being that far out, they'll get some bad weather but not horrible home destruction level stuff.

SI

My boss is right there as well. He spent last night and this morning boarding up his floor to 20 foot ceiling windows in his great room. He has a lot of tall trees around him, and he had visions of a big branch crashing through.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #94
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Houston TV is reporting a fire in Galveston. Thick black smoke is all the guy can say, sounds like the fire dept. was trying to get to it.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #95
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
yeah, Kemah has no shot.

For those who have family there or spent their lives on or near Galveston; rarely has my stomach been like this. I am just heart sick about what is happening, and is going to happen.

My wife and I got married in Kemah, so that is a special place for us.

My mother-in-law lives in the Cyprus area.

Ike could have been much stronger, but its still going to be on hell of a storm.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #96
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

TWC just reported and estimated 40% of Galvestons 60,000 didn't evacuate?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
TWC just reported and estimated 40% of Galvestons 60,000 didn't evacuate?

I pray that is inaccurate information.

Also, my thoughts and prayers to everyone in the storm path.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #98
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Houston TV is reporting about the same EF. I said it early to my wife, and I didn't say it in any way jokingly either, people will be dying in this thing.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #99
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
The eye of the hurricane is planned to go right through my neighborhood in Kingwood, TX. That is NE Houston.

We are right off of lake houston. The good news is we are a good 65 miles from the shore. So the storm surge doesn't bother us. We just have to worry about tornados and high winds.

This sucks, all I want to do is go to the store and get NHL 09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

I'm right smack dab in the middle of these. I'm very interested in where that eye goes. The main thing that concerns me is the wind, as I'm in an older neighborhood with lots of tall pines and oaks.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #100
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

MSNBC has a public official on now

Last edited by Lathum : 09-12-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote