Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2008, 11:24 PM   #51
boberot
High School Varsity

Just managed 20 good ones.

One thing I'm not entirely clear on: Are you supposed to avoid doing other weight / strength training on your "off" days? It tells you to rest on your days off, but I'm not sure what that means.

Any thoughts?

boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #52
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post

One thing I'm not entirely clear on: Are you supposed to avoid doing other weight / strength training on your "off" days? It tells you to rest on your days off, but I'm not sure what that means.

Any thoughts?

Exercise your legs on those off days

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #53
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Just did my 23, I'm going to give this a try- I'd be incredibly impressed with myself if I ever did 100 in a row.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:30 AM   #54
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Any thoughts?

I get the impression that this is targeted at people who do not normally work out. As long as you don't over do it, I would do the push ups on the days you already do weight training, just basically sub out one or two things you do for arms/chest.

I plan to add this to the days I lift, I'm just going to stop doing my usual sets of bench presses and inclined bench presses on my torso days. I doubt I'll need to stop doing anything on my arms and legs days. (Two days a week, I target torso/chest muscles, 2 days a week I do arms and legs. I was doing a full body workout 3 days a week, but I switched to this after awhile since I read that you aren't supposed to stick to the same workout routine for too long.)

And I'm sure your good to do cardio on your off days (which is something I need to start doing again).

Last edited by sabotai : 08-26-2008 at 12:31 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:43 AM   #55
sabotai
General Manager

Initial test = 14

Got some work ahead of me.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #56
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i'm in - 15.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 AM   #57
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Fifteens are wild...I'm in.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #58
cmp
Pro Rookie

I'm giving it a try also. Initial test was 31.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:45 AM   #59
Icy
Pro Starter

Anybody else is shore today after yesterday's test?

I did my initial 18 and then decided to try again, ending doing 15 more. My chest is sore today, kind of sad after such little training

Anyway this encourages me even more, i can't be this out of shape.

Last edited by Icy : 08-26-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:28 AM   #60
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

My entire upper torso is sore So sad after so small an exertion.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:42 AM   #61
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I get the impression that this is targeted at people who do not normally work out. As long as you don't over do it, I would do the push ups on the days you already do weight training, just basically sub out one or two things you do for arms/chest.

I plan to add this to the days I lift, I'm just going to stop doing my usual sets of bench presses and inclined bench presses on my torso days. I doubt I'll need to stop doing anything on my arms and legs days. (Two days a week, I target torso/chest muscles, 2 days a week I do arms and legs. I was doing a full body workout 3 days a week, but I switched to this after awhile since I read that you aren't supposed to stick to the same workout routine for too long.)

And I'm sure your good to do cardio on your off days (which is something I need to start doing again).

I agree with sab on this. I don't do weights but I do take karate lessons, somtimes up to three times a week (Mon/Tues/Sat) and I certainly don't plan to stop those, even if they usually all include pushups anyway...

FM
Old 08-26-2008, 05:44 AM   #62
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

and yeah, my torso is kinda sore. As I said though, I also had karate last night and we did some more pushups with that dreaded 10 seconds stand at the end and then some punches which, like it or not, add up to the movement made by the upper body...

FM
Old 08-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #63
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'm in.

I just started a push-up routine of a sort a few weeks back. I was doing "50 push ups" every morning. Only about 15-20 of those were regular push-ups, the rest were "knee" push-ups.

I started the "hundred pushups" program this morning.

So far, so good...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #64
KWhit
Coordinator

I'm just a tad bit sore today after yesterday's test. I was going to start on the plan today, but will stretch my arms and shoulders out a bit this morning and see how I feel first.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #65
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I'm just a tad bit sore today after yesterday's test. I was going to start on the plan today, but will stretch my arms and shoulders out a bit this morning and see how I feel first.

+1, this is exactly how I feel today.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #66
MikeVic
Head Coach

My chest is sore. I hope it's fine to start the plan tomorrow.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #67
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I was doing 3 sets of 25 a few times a week all summer. So I did have a bit of a head start.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #68
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I did 20 this morning. So, it looks like my first day will be Thursday.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #69
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
My chest is sore. I hope it's fine to start the plan tomorrow.

I think the idea is generally to take a day off between every round, including the tests. I didn't really think I'd need to after just doing the initial test, but this morning I'm not so sure. I think I'll fight through and start today anyways, but only because I want to do a tues/thurs/weekend program and I don't feel like waiting until thursday to start.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 08-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #70
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
Just did my 23, I'm going to give this a try- I'd be incredibly impressed with myself if I ever did 100 in a row.

absolutely, it's a big goal for me but heck, I'm simply looking at day 3 of week 3 with its reps of 30/22/22/20 and at least 27 to finish and I'm already nervous about that one...

FM
Old 08-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #71
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
i did 41
Putting a Jessica Simpson poster underneath you is cheating.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #72
boberot
High School Varsity

Thanks for the feedback, Sab. I'll use the off days to work on my chicken legs and pathetic cardio.

I cheated and did my test in the morning and started the regimen later last night. Too impatient . . . .

I agree that it's a bit intimidating to look a few weeks ahead -- I'm going to try to avoid doing that.

This
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #73
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think this seems like a really good thing, but I'm trying to decide if I'm too intimidated to start.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #74
Schmidty
Coordinator

When I do my 3 sets of 25 I'm fine; however, I noticed that when I get past 40 (straight) or so, my wrists start to hurt, so I began using my fists, and got to 68. I should hit 100 in a week or so.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #75
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Well this is an embarrassing post to write... I failed on the first day

I did 10, then 10, but when I went to do 8 I literally couldn't do 1, my arms were just too sore at the shoulders. I guess maybe I really should have waited the extra day maybe. It might not have helped that I spent all evening scraping and sanding the paint off my windows. Regardless, pretty sad.

Anyways, hopefully I have a better outing on Thursday. If nothing else, this proves that I need to be doing stuff like this more often.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #76
sabotai
General Manager

I was still a bit sore today from doing my initial test (late last night). I'm going to start this weekend, just in case I'm really sore after the first day. I kinda need my arms to work.

And as someone else you came up with the idea, I'm going to add doing as many crunches as the push ups as well. I might even follow the schedule doing weightless squats to get a good, all around workout. I'm going to put the weights away for the 6 weeks I do this (probably a good thing. Muscle confusion and all that. Been doing the 2 day splits for awhile now.)
Old 08-27-2008, 01:09 AM   #77
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Initial Test = 33
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:43 AM   #78
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Well this is an embarrassing post to write... I failed on the first day

I did 10, then 10, but when I went to do 8 I literally couldn't do 1, my arms were just too sore at the shoulders. I guess maybe I really should have waited the extra day maybe. It might not have helped that I spent all evening scraping and sanding the paint off my windows. Regardless, pretty sad.

Anyways, hopefully I have a better outing on Thursday. If nothing else, this proves that I need to be doing stuff like this more often.

I did exactly the same! Ended up thinking OK, I'll drop down to the middle column for the first two weeks, and did some pathetic knee-down push ups to complete the days sets.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #79
3ric
College Starter

Cool idea... I'll do the test tonight.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #80
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

okay, day 1 of week 1 is in the bank. Did the 10/10/8/6 and a glorious 8 as my max to close it. I think I'll be quite happy when I simply break 100 in one session, even less all in a row.

FM
Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #81
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and if anybody is looking for a simple countdown timer on which to set their rest period, I use this one online:
Online Stopwatch

Set it how many seconds you need and restart it when you're done with your reps on one level. It'll ring to tell you time's up...

FM

FM
Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #82
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
absolutely, it's a big goal for me but heck, I'm simply looking at day 3 of week 3 with its reps of 30/22/22/20 and at least 27 to finish and I'm already nervous about that one...

FM

there's definitely a big ramp up between week 2 and week 3
Old 08-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #83
KWhit
Coordinator

Day one is done. 10/10/8/6 and 10.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:27 PM   #84
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
okay, day 1 of week 1 is in the bank. Did the 10/10/8/6 and a glorious 8 as my max to close it. I think I'll be quite happy when I simply break 100 in one session, even less all in a row.

FM

I was 10/10/8/6 and a glorious 7 as my max to close it. I finished off with an extra 8 "knee" push-ups.

Day 2 is tomorrow morning for me.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #85
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
dola, and if anybody is looking for a simple countdown timer on which to set their rest period, I use this one online:
Online Stopwatch

Set it how many seconds you need and restart it when you're done with your reps on one level. It'll ring to tell you time's up...

FM

FM

Thanks for this link.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #86
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I tried this today, against my better judgement. This is exactly the sort of thing I never see through to the end.

I did 21 on my initial test. By the end my arms were saying "this isn't so bad, we could do a few more" but my brain was like "this fucking sucks, let's go get a beer".

Could be a rough road.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #87
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Week 1, Day 1:

10/10/8/6/19
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #88
3ric
College Starter

I did 15 on the initial test, hopefully I can finish this. I've never seen through any kind of exercise plans I set up for myself.

To get any kind of physical training done, I make appointments with a personal trainer who's also a friend of mine.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #89
cmp
Pro Rookie

Week 1 Day 2 is done, 12/12/10/10 and 19 for a max.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 AM   #90
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Day one is done. 10/10/8/6 and 10.

i put up the exact same line....anyone else having a lot of pain in their wrists (and is there anything you are doing about it)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:54 AM   #91
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i put up the exact same line....anyone else having a lot of pain in their wrists (and is there anything you are doing about it)

As I said in a previous post, I use my fists. You get a better pushup, and it doesn't hurt your wrists.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #92
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Day 2, Week 1

12/12/10/10/11

Looking ahead, Week 2 looks possible, Week 3 however...
Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #93
samifan24
Pro Starter

I've found that the toughest part is the final set. It always says something like "as many as you can do (25 minimum) or (40 minimum)" and I can never get anywhere near those minimums.

I'm halfway through week 5 now and have found a little bit of a twist. After the first day in week 5, the plan now requires you to do double sets instead of single sets. For example, if you just did one set of 40 before, you now do two separate sets of 20. It sounds easy but I think the short (45 secs or less) break in between actually makes it more difficult.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #94
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
anyone else having a lot of pain in their wrists (and is there anything you are doing about it)

My wrists are fine, but yesterday my left elbow was really sore. It feels ok today though, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

I'm crossing my fingers that I can actually do the full set later today!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #95
3ric
College Starter

Saldana -
I can't do push ups with the palms of my hands on the floor - my wrists are quitting on me. But if I do them "knuckle style" the wrists aren't involved as much.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #96
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I wouldn't say I feel stronger already, but I know I'm way less sore the day after day 1 than I was on the day after the initial test...

FM
Old 08-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #97
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric View Post
Saldana -
I can't do push ups with the palms of my hands on the floor - my wrists are quitting on me. But if I do them "knuckle style" the wrists aren't involved as much.

No one listens to me.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #98
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric View Post
Saldana -

= what Schmidty said.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #99
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Another failed attempt

This time I managed 10/10/6/0.5. It seems that on the second set of 10 I strain so hard on the last 2 that my arms are just rubber after that. I'm going to move down to the second column and repeat week 1 I guess.

Last edited by Fidatelo : 08-28-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #100
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Another failed attempt

This time I managed 10/10/6/0.5. It seems that on the second set of 10 I strain so hard on the last 2 that my arms are just rubber after that. I'm going to move down to the second column and repeat week 1 I guess.

whatever you do, just don't give up. The fact we've all decided to try is very good, and you will get better with time. Just don't give it up.

FM