Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #51
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As a Wolverines fan, I cannot wait for the opener vs Utah, but with that said, I fully expect a loss. Our offense, by all accounts, has been pretty mediocre so far, though it is early in camp. The defense though has the potential to be a top 10 D in the Nation, and features quite a few guys who could be high NFL draft picks (Taylor, Graham, Jamison, all on the DL, plus stud DB Donovan Warren) so I do think it'll be close.

If our offense can not make mistakes, and put two TD's on the board, I think we can pull it out, but that sounds like it could be quite a lot to ask for.

Regardless, I am pumped to get this new era of Michigan football underway.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #52
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I've got to give Fresno State credit for their scheduling over the years. They'll play anybody -- home, away, in a parking lot -- it doesn't matter.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I didn't check the USC boards over the weekend, and I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned it here, but Sanchez hurt his knee during a non-contact exercise on Friday. Estimates are everywhere from 10 days to 4 weeks for his return. I just hope he gets back to 100% by the time we play Ohio State or that game could be ugly.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #54
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I didn't check the USC boards over the weekend, and I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned it here, but Sanchez hurt his knee during a non-contact exercise on Friday. Estimates are everywhere from 10 days to 4 weeks for his return. I just hope he gets back to 100% by the time we play Ohio State or that game could be ugly.

According to the ESPN article, he's expecting to be back for the season opening game against Virginia........

ESPN - USC quarterback's injury not as bad as first thought - College Football

Also, someone had mentioned that the UCLA opener may be a good one. Just noticed that their QB broke a bone and will be out for 8 weeks..........

ESPN - Broken foot sidelines UCLA quarterback Olson at least 8 weeks - College Football
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

OnlineAthens.com | DogBytes | Breaking| Football | Starting left tackle suffers knee injury 08/11/08

Georgia's chase for the national title may have just gotten tougher.

Starting offensive left tackle Trinton Sturdivant, considered the Bulldogs' top offensive lineman, left Sanford Stadium with what appears to be a significant knee injury Monday in the team's first scrimmage of the preseason.

"I don't know for sure yet how bad (the injury is)," coach Mark Richt said after the scrimmage. "It swelled up pretty good, I know that."

The 6-foot-5, 293-pound Sturdivant started all 13 games last season when he was named a freshman All-American and was selected to the SEC coaches all-freshman team. He was considered a possible All-America candidate later in his career.

Ron Courson, Georgia's director of sports medicine, went Monday evening to visit Sturdivant in the hospital, where X-rays of Sturdivant's knee were to be taken, Richt said.

"He got banged up pretty good," Richt said.

Asked if he feared the injury could be season-ending, Richt said "You always fear that, but until we know, I don't want to say anything."

The loss of Sturdivant, from Wadesboro , N.C., would leave Georgia, ranked No. 1 in the USA Today coaches' poll, with just two returning starting offensive lineman from last year's team: sophomores Chris Davis and Clint Boling. Boling is suspended for the season opener because of a reckless driving charge.

Sturdivant sustained his knee injury in a scrimmage that was closed to the media. No players were made available to the media.

Richt said the injury happened when the two defensive ends closed in on quarterback Matthew Stafford in the pocket on a rush. The offensive tackles were trying to push them by Stafford, who then stepped up into the pocket like he should, Richt said.

"Those guys (the two tackles and two ends), all four of them just kind of ran into each other," Richt said. "I didn't see exactly who ran into whom, but they were converging on the quarterback and at the last second he stepped up."

Redshirt sophomore Josh Davis, who has been working as Sturdivant's backup, worked with the starting unit for the rest of the scrimmage at left tackle, but there are other candidates for the position.

Richt listed guards Vince Vance, Cordy Glenn and Clint Boling as players who might be looked at to play left tackle. Vance got snaps at tackle last season. Right tackle Kiante Tripp could be another possibility for left tackle, a position of strength that now might be a question mark.

"It makes you sick," Richt said. "It's just sad to see a guy get hurt."
Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #56
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

FOX Sports on MSN - COLLEGE FOOTBALL - Report: USC dealing with jock itch outbreak

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #57
Logan
Head Coach

What's Neuheisal's alibi?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #58
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
What's Neuheisal's alibi?

Nothing is beneath Slick Rick.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #59
Huckleberry
College Starter

Barking Carnival » Blog Archive » College Football Title Belt Update

Thought the Mizzou fans might be interested in their status as current title belt holders. For the first time.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 08-14-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #60
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting site here where you can look at the the individual ranking by each of the AP voters.

Pollspeak - College Sports

This guy here has spurred a lot of chatter. I'd like to know what he was drinking when he wrote up this ballot.

Pollspeak - College Sports
Old 08-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #61
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Honestly...who cares what the AP has to say? They have zero say in the BCS. I actually think a lot of them do it just to be different and get noticed.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #62
timmynausea
College Starter

I just read something about VT possibly redshirting Tyrod Taylor this year. Can I get a VT fan confirmation or denial on this?
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #63
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Honestly...who cares what the AP has to say? They have zero say in the BCS. I actually think a lot of them do it just to be different and get noticed.

I am sure they wear this as a badge of honor.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #64
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I just read something about VT possibly redshirting Tyrod Taylor this year. Can I get a VT fan confirmation or denial on this?
It's up in the air at this point. I believe Beamer's supposed to make the decision today.

I'll say this, though...if Tyrod redshirts this season, we'll win 8 games at most this year. There would even be a slight possibility that our bowl streak goes by the wayside. On one hand it makes sense since the team is so young and you'd want an extra year of Tyrod down the line....but it sacrifices any hope for doing anything this season.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #65
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
It's up in the air at this point. I believe Beamer's supposed to make the decision today.

I'll say this, though...if Tyrod redshirts this season, we'll win 8 games at most this year. There would even be a slight possibility that our bowl streak goes by the wayside. On one hand it makes sense since the team is so young and you'd want an extra year of Tyrod down the line....but it sacrifices any hope for doing anything this season.

Thanks. I suppose in some ways it would make sense, but I was definitely surprised when I first heard it was a possibility.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #66
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Thanks. I suppose in some ways it would make sense, but I was definitely surprised when I first heard it was a possibility.
Beamer just announced that Tyrod is redshirting...ugh.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #67
Kodos
Resident Alien

Indiana starts a season that is filled with hope (unusual for IU fans) by hosting the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers. We better win convincingly.

Kellen Lewis, who combined for 37 touchdowns (28 passing, 9 rushing) last season has been named the starter at QB following a 4-month suspension for off the field issues. He beat out Ben Chappell to regain his role as the starter. Hopefully he can keep his nose clean (the rumors were it was a drug-related suspension).

Last season's sack leader for the NCAA, Greg Middleton, and 3 others have been suspended for Week 1 for undisclosed reasons.

Go Hoosiers!
Old 08-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #68
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
As a Wolverines fan, I cannot wait for the opener vs Utah, but with that said, I fully expect a loss. Our offense, by all accounts, has been pretty mediocre so far, though it is early in camp. The defense though has the potential to be a top 10 D in the Nation, and features quite a few guys who could be high NFL draft picks (Taylor, Graham, Jamison, all on the DL, plus stud DB Donovan Warren) so I do think it'll be close.

If our offense can not make mistakes, and put two TD's on the board, I think we can pull it out, but that sounds like it could be quite a lot to ask for.

Regardless, I am pumped to get this new era of Michigan football underway.

Well said.

It's going to be a very interesting season. Let's hope the Rich Rod Era starts out right.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #69
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm starting to get excited. Three days until the train ride out to St. Louis to see Mizzou/Illinois. Going out to pick up the gold T-shirts today.

I noticed a couple of interesting things about the matchup.

1. Illinois plans on using a running back by committee setup. Sounds like they're going to rotate 3 different backs in and out to keep them fresh.

2. Illinois' team strength is expected to be their front 7 on defense. But it appears that only 5 of those 7 will be on the field at any given time. They've reportedly been running a 3-2-6 defense in practice (much like what Arkansas used against Mizzou in the Cotton Bowl game). It's expected that they'll run that defense most of the game except for short yardage situations, where they'll switch to a nickel defense.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #70
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Paterno named Daryll Clark the starter for Saturday but Pat Devlin will play. If Clark can throw half decent I think PSU can do good this year. He isn't as athletic as Robinson was, but he has a better offensive line in front of him and a better running back.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #71
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am taking my wife to her first college football game. We will be going to the Air Foce game at the academy against divison 1-AA Southern Utah. I also got tickets late rin the seaosn for Navy at Air Force and the BYU game.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #72
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Well said.

It's going to be a very interesting season. Let's hope the Rich Rod Era starts out right.

Actually if your defense is as tough as I have been seeing this game should be a slug fest and if it is Michigan wins, if you let Utah get up on you, then I think it will be tough to stay in the game.

Utah is thin at the DL position as well, but the 2 starters at DT are great players, they will be rotating 2 others at the spot all game long. I think Rich can take advantage of that very quickly.

As a BYU fan I want to see Utah lose, lose bad and have half their starters out for the season...but as a fan of the MWC and non BCS teams, I hope they win.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #73
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Actually if your defense is as tough as I have been seeing this game should be a slug fest and if it is Michigan wins, if you let Utah get up on you, then I think it will be tough to stay in the game.

Utah is thin at the DL position as well, but the 2 starters at DT are great players, they will be rotating 2 others at the spot all game long. I think Rich can take advantage of that very quickly.

Thanks for the scouting report! I don't know much about Utah other than they run a spread offense and they claim that this team is as good or better than the Alex Smith 2004 team.

Quote:
As a BYU fan I want to see Utah lose, lose bad and have half their starters out for the season...

Stay true to your roots as a BYU fan and "want to see Utah lose, lose bad and have half their starters out for the season." That's the way forward...

Quote:
but as a fan of the MWC and non BCS teams, I hope they win.

BYU fan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fan of the MWC and non BCS teams.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 08-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #74
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

So by your thinking, you root for Ohio State...is that correct Honolulu_Blue?
Old 08-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #75
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Thanks for the scouting report! I don't know much about Utah other than they run a spread offense and they claim that this team is as good or better than the Alex Smith 2004 team.

Not even close. They have some talent on offense and if Brian Johnson (QB) can get over the fear of getting hit then yeah, they can be deadly. Casteel is a great WR, they have a couple of freshmen there as well. You are going to see some good running backs, but nothing you aren't used to already.

My friend is their LB coach and Polynesian recruiter so I get some information, complaints and such from him. It's pretty fun to talk to him since he is a former BYU player and was upset at Crowton for not bringing him on when he was the coach at BYU. So he is more pro Utah, but I think he would jump at the chance to get back to BYU.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #76
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
So by your thinking, you root for Ohio State...is that correct Honolulu_Blue?

No, by my thinking I wouldn't root for Ohio State and you'd never root for the Penguins. It's all good!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #77
JeeberD
General Manager

The Buffalo Bulls are going DOWN on Thursday...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #78
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

I had a choice between going to the Bulls/Miners or the Bills/Lions, I choose the NFL game, because we already know that the Miners will lose

Actually, since I am a Lions fan, it's going to be my first time ever watching them live and only my second ever NFL game even if it is preseason, I am pretty excited for it.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #79
Izulde
Head Coach

I need to get tickets to the Arkansas-Western Illinois game Saturday.

They said I was supposed to get an email about the particulars of getting them, but of course none's shown up.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #80
MJ4H
Coordinator

If you do, let me know. Maybe I can say hi.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #81
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
If you do, let me know. Maybe I can say hi.

What section you gonna be in and all that jazz?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #82
MJ4H
Coordinator

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #83
Izulde
Head Coach

Cool. I'll be somewhere in the Student Section. Picked up my $5 all-Fayetteville-games ticket today.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #84
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #85
Celeval
Pro Starter

Wooohoooo
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Can anybody get ESPN360 to work tonight?

All it seems to do for me is either crash my browser or simply fail to load.
I also can't get the ESPN scoreboard to load since about 8p, although gametracker works okay if you access it through the schedule link on the team page.

21-0 GT over Jax State, 8:29 left 1st half. Tech with 209 yds offense so far, holding Perriloux (4/7, 10 yds, 1 INT, 1 sack) & Co. to just 1 first down so far.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #87
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wake Forest is absolutely destroying Baylor. 17-0 a couple of minutes into the 2nd quarter.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #88
Swaggs
Coordinator

I
LOVE
FOOTBALL!

I can't believe the season is finally here!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT up 27-0 at the half. Perriloux got a little drive going late in the half but threw his second pick to kill it.

Miami doing about the same to Charleston Southern, 28-0 at the half.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #90
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Tough break for N.C. State as starting QB Russell Wilson gets taken off the field in a cart.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #91
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

Utep looking good in the regular season.. thank god i changed my espn streak pick to something else..

Last edited by Ragone : 08-28-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #92
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

South Carolina looks bad. Their qb is trying to break last year's record on the first night for INTs. The Miss State qb threw 7 INTs last year. Right now the So. Car guy is at 4.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #93
Galaxy
Coordinator

Was that really unsportsmanlike conduct?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #94
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
I think Perriloux will be solid for them, and he's a big reason many people have them atop the OVC in preseason polls, but I think he'll be running for his life in Atlanta. 42-20 GT, with 3 Yellow Jacket fumbles leading to 17 JSU points.

Final ends up 41-14, so not too far from the guess. Hard to take a lot out of this other than the desperate need for a place kicker (5/6 XP, 0/2 FG). Tech lost two fumbles, one leading to one of the JSU scores. Nesbitt and Shaw combined for 7/10 passing - 131 yards, while GT ended up just shy of 350 yards rushing. Looking forward to Boston College.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #95
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

*sigh* Gonna be a looooong year.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #96
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
*sigh* Gonna be a looooong year.

x2

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #97
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I love college football. Didn't really care about any of the teams playing tonight, but still was entertained for most of it. The first half of NC State/South Carolina was entertaining but sloppy. The end of Oregon State/Stanford was wild. Fumble away your dreams, kid. I'm not an Oregon State fan, but I still felt for the kid who dropped the ball. He didn't *need* to do that. They were in a great place to get a TD. Bummer for them.

The imperfections of college football are why I prefer to watch an average game of it versus an average game of the NFL.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #98
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Final ends up 41-14, so not too far from the guess. Hard to take a lot out of this other than the desperate need for a place kicker (5/6 XP, 0/2 FG). Tech lost two fumbles, one leading to one of the JSU scores. Nesbitt and Shaw combined for 7/10 passing - 131 yards, while GT ended up just shy of 350 yards rushing. Looking forward to Boston College.

Lots of Tech folks still concerned about Nesbitt. I thought he looked pretty good--though hard to know what he was up against. I'm much more concerned about the interior of the offensive line.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:06 AM   #99
Icy
Pro Starter

Looking forward to see what USF can do this year after their incredible start of the season past year, being ranked #2. This should be the year for QB Grothe and DE Selvie to prove they can become pros (Selvie will for sure).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:28 AM   #100
Emiliano
College Prospect

I wanted to make my own thread, but I figured I'll just post in this one: here in Italy we finally got the NASN channel (North American Sports Network) in the Sky Sport package, and this is what we have for the first week:

NC State vs South Carolina (watched live last night)
Oregon State vs Stanford
SMU vs Rice
Virginia Tech vs East Carolina
USC vs Virginia
Alabama vs Clemson
Illinois vs Missouri
Kentucky vs Louisville
Fresno State vs Rutgers
Tennessee vs UCLA

From the Zero we had before, that's pretty good, uh?

I'm sure I won't keep up with everything, but yesterday I was almost crying for joy. Only downside is that my sleep hours will decrease considerably...

Good season everyone!