Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #51
Radii
Head Coach

I'm only losing about $10,000/mo now before selling raw materials, after getting my shop up to max worth and being able to stock 2 of the 3 items. I have about 2.5 million worth on the market, but no one had bought my steel for about 7 hours now, which is a bit troubling, so I pulled it off the market and put it back up at a lower price. That hurts b/c of the transport fee but if it sells it'll be worth it. I'm pretty much in a holding pattern til i can sell it though. I'll be able to expand a good bit(how I haven't decided yet) if it sells.

There is a MASSIVE amount of steel on the market though, seems like its something everyone is making right now, I wonder if it all gets bought up eventually or if a lot of people are left stuck with it.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #52
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I had some 80 or so steel units on the market for some 18hours yesterday but they got sold eventually. No clue if it could stay put and never sells though but I'd guess my items would eventually sell al the time as I never price them over the normal price...

FM
Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #53
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and I'm sure steel is one of the semi-finished goods that many people relie on, I mean at 9500 or so, it makes for a pretty nice sale...

FM
Old 07-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #54
Radii
Head Coach

The company Kappes SP has bought your 217 Steel from the market.
The amount of 2,061,500 has been transferred to you.

Woohoo! I added another factory to be able to fully stock my do it yourself store at all times, which should make me profitable just from my own store, allowing extra market sales to just be huge extra windfalls(instead of primarily covering operating costs). Now to figure out WTF to do next.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #55
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

well done!

FM
Old 07-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #56
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
just upgraded to level 1 my whole supply chain to the toy store, from the mines to steel mill/sawmill, factories and the shop. Thought that if I was going to be not selling for two updates, I might as well not produce any raw material as well... Could afford it with 2.5M in the bank anyway...

What did these upgrades give you once they were all done? Did you do the overall Research Upgrade as well or the individual upgrades within each building? do you think its worth it to do just one upgrade like this or is it something where you need to be able to afford a number of upgrades before its worth doing?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #57
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Just tried my first market posting.. put up 40 glass there to see if I find any takers.. Not really that used to the market yet, so I tried to figure out how much it costs me to make, and then shipping cost and give my self some profit from it.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #58
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
What did these upgrades give you once they were all done? Did you do the overall Research Upgrade as well or the individual upgrades within each building? do you think its worth it to do just one upgrade like this or is it something where you need to be able to afford a number of upgrades before its worth doing?

the overall research upgrade will boost your research level (RL) allowing you to produce some different products.

Each individual upgrade on a building gives 10% increase in production, so from 10, a building goes to producing 11 in a month. You can only do one level at a time, but one building in upgrade will not output any unit, so if you upgrade the iron ore mine, your steel mill will not receive any raw material for the two months that it takes for the upgrade to be done, so because of that, it made sense to upgrade the whole chain. If my store is not gonna sell, there's no reason to make toys and if I don't make toys, there's no reason to make steel and if I don't need steel, there's no reason to mine, and so on...

The other thing that we'll be able to improve is the quality of the individual product you make, but to do that, you need to build a research facility on grassland but it then costs 500k monthly keep it running, so it's kind of out of our league for now...

Quality of product is the one thing you retain from one world reset to the next though...

FM
Old 07-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #59
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and I did the first RL upgrade when I firt started, kinda dumb but I didn'T know what I was doing and I didn't do any reset of my account...

fwiw, this world will reset in 29 days so consider the current run as more or less a test run. A world lasts three months btw.

FM
Old 07-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #60
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

If I have an iron mine that can produce 10 iron ore a month, and 0 iron ore in my warehouse currently, can I put my steel plant to make 10 steel that month also? Will the 10 iron ore produced go to the steel factory and be made into steel the same month, or is there a 1 month lag period there, where the first month you make 10 iron ore, then the second month you can make 10 more iron ore as well as turning the first 10 iron ore into steel?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #61
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
If I have an iron mine that can produce 10 iron ore a month, and 0 iron ore in my warehouse currently, can I put my steel plant to make 10 steel that month also? Will the 10 iron ore produced go to the steel factory and be made into steel the same month, or is there a 1 month lag period there, where the first month you make 10 iron ore, then the second month you can make 10 more iron ore as well as turning the first 10 iron ore into steel?

there's no lag period, it gets built into steel in the same month.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #62
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

wasn'T sure but thought so too, if only based on the fact that when I sell any extra steel I have, it doesn't cause any problem to anything down the stream...

FM
Old 07-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #63
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I looked at all the steel on the market and decided to just sell the iron ore. Profit margin is probably higher on steel, but I didn't want to wait for the sale to go through. As it is, I am still making money even if I am not around to put my ore on the market, so that keeps me safe. Of course that probably means I'm not producing enough raw materials so I'll probably need to do something about that.

Just a note if you guys do start upgrading your facilities...they go back to 0% production when they are done. Make sure you are around to get them started again.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #64
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I looked at all the steel on the market and decided to just sell the iron ore. Profit margin is probably higher on steel, but I didn't want to wait for the sale to go through. As it is, I am still making money even if I am not around to put my ore on the market, so that keeps me safe. Of course that probably means I'm not producing enough raw materials so I'll probably need to do something about that.

Iron does seem to sell very fast, and seems to be a more reliable way of keeping consistant money coming in. I have 5 iron ore deposits feeding only two steel mills right now, so I end up with a mix of iron and steel and sell some of both. The iron is a consistant $300,000 every time, while the steel is a less reliable sell but a much, much bigger number when it does go.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #65
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I may have to look at a couple of steel mills. I'm not yet brave enough to start pumping out a ton of raw materials that collect overnight to sell in the morning. I guess I'm not quite sure how long I can do that without going broke.

Does anyone know why people buy finished goods on the market? I'm assuming that marbles and tricycles can't be broken back down, why do people sell them on the market?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #66
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Does anyone know why people buy finished goods on the market? I'm assuming that marbles and tricycles can't be broken back down, why do people sell them on the market?

I think the reason is to stock your stores to make sure the store worth stays high. I'm assuming that people are producing some of the items in a store but with a 100 building limit once they grow and research can't keep everything stocked themselves, so they buy some items on the market for stock.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #67
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ahh .. 10k short of being able to get my new toy factory.. time to sell 10 glass to get the extra cash I need before next game turn!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #68
Radii
Head Coach

I just blew through all my cash to start setting up a textiles industry. I have 7 oil wells and oil is used for rubber and plastic for shoes and knitting needles so it seems a good match. I've got a cattle ranch for leather and sheep farm for wool and cotton farm(my first "once a year harvest" building), I didn't have enough money to be able to finish the full supply line at first, I'm only selling Wool this month, but after another steel sale i'll be able to make shoes and knitting needles and have 3 of the 5 initial products covered.

One thing I don't really like with the farms is that you can only choose one item to produce, when that really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. My cattle farm is producing leather, so i can't get milk or meat out of it. I'm pretty sure that farm is throwing away a lot of good steak!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #69
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if there is any way after the reset that we can help each other out to get going quicker. It seems pretty easy to be self sufficient early on so not sure that it is even needed though.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #70
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm wondering if the same iron ore goldmine will exist at the start. Since nobody will be able to produce any advanced goods early on, it might not pay to jump so much on the raw goods.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #71
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

how neat, my one toyshop now offers marbles, tricycles and wooden locomotives and by meeting the demands month after month has now soared to 150 in shopping value. With that shop, I'm now clearing a profit of about $36k every month, before trading any raw material, or excess production. I can go to bed now.

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #72
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Trying this game out, and fairly confused. I have some iron ore mines, and now built a steel factory - when I have to set warehouse for the factory, is that where it pulls the raw materials from or where it outputs them to? If I set it for raw goods will it automatically process the ore coming in from my mines?
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 AM   #73
Peregrine
Pro Starter

dola - well I am reading the manual and figured out the answer to this question. I really like the idea of this game so far - especially that it runs so frequently you see results pretty fast, and there are a lot of options.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:03 AM   #74
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I wonder if there is any way after the reset that we can help each other out to get going quicker. It seems pretty easy to be self sufficient early on so not sure that it is even needed though.
one possible way would be to heavy specialize in one product or another and sell the leftovers to others so that our stores prosper quicker (like frogger's just became).
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #75
Peregrine
Pro Starter

As far as factories, does it matter whether the goods they need are in raw or production warehouse? I'm having a lot of weird things where factories aren't producing, even though I have tons of stuff for them to use - maybe I have it in the product warehouse and they don't look there?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:27 AM   #76
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

not much time now, but any material that needs to be refined or processed needs to go to raw material warehouse and anything that is to be sold in shops needs to be in the product warehouse, those are the basic rules of warehousing. you can put any raw material in the product warehouse if you want if said material is to be sold on the market and not to be further modified...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 05:31 AM   #77
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Thanks! That explains a lot of the issues I was having.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #78
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I got my shop at 150 last night, I assume that is max value? Can the amount of supplies that it sells continue to go up even once it is maxxed out, or are those values capped as well? (ie: 20 tricycles a month is all I'll ever sell from that store?)
Old 07-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #79
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I got my shop at 150 last night, I assume that is max value? Can the amount of supplies that it sells continue to go up even once it is maxxed out, or are those values capped as well? (ie: 20 tricycles a month is all I'll ever sell from that store?)

I'd think it's all tied to the shopping value so once you max out, it won't grow on its own. Of course, you can always upgrade the shop to increase sales by 5% for every level, that part is explained in the manual...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 07:01 AM   #80
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
dola - well I am reading the manual and figured out the answer to this question. I really like the idea of this game so far - especially that it runs so frequently you see results pretty fast, and there are a lot of options.

as I said before, I like that it's all a big sandbox and nobody other than yourself can kill you. I mean, we've seen so many of those "build'em up" kind of game that are fun until clans and tribes get together and you get smashed. See Travian for an example...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #81
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd think it's all tied to the shopping value so once you max out, it won't grow on its own. Of course, you can always upgrade the shop to increase sales by 5% for every level, that part is explained in the manual...

FM

I keep getting this hint that you want me to read the manual... I'm not sure why I keep feeling you are dropping subtle hints!!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #82
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I keep getting this hint that you want me to read the manual... I'm not sure why I keep feeling you are dropping subtle hints!!

lol, not really, simply that I remember reading about how the upgrades for the shops and the other buildings are not calculated the same way. Seomthing about for regular buildings, it's 10% of the initial production value per level of improvement while for shops it adds up.

Say basic iron ore mining is 10 per month. Level 1 is 11 (or 10 + 10%), level 2 is 12 and so on. For a shop, if you can sell 10 at level 0, level 1 will be 10 + 5% or 10.5 rounded up at 11 but level 2 will be level 1 + 5% or 10.5*1.05=11.025 rounded down to 11. I remember thinking that level 2 was pretty much useless in that case, heh...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #83
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
one possible way would be to heavy specialize in one product or another and sell the leftovers to others so that our stores prosper quicker (like frogger's just became).

Yeah, I'd say it would be the way to go. Make sure you can survive on your own then trade for more money.

To expand on my shop, I got excited a bit too early. I'm profitable about 6 months of the year. Apparently toys do sell much better in only 2 of the 4 seasons.

I'll have to diversify but that might have to wait until tonight. Traded some 3M worth of goods overnight but I don't have access to the wiki right now and I won't go into some shops setting without knowing what I get into. Then again, I might just do that and screw everything for the fun of it...

FM

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #84
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and the CSV dump of the last 12 months is amazing to get a good picture of how your shops is holding up against the other general expenses. Only need to log in once every 12 hours to have every month in the game. With that and not taking into account the construction/demolition costs or the miscellaneous expenses (which are the forwarding fees for your trading to the market) or the trading revenues, here are my last 4 years in net loss:
year 123: -776,951
year 124: -671,780
year 125: -598,586
year 126: -104,479

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #85
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I get to start messing around with research levels today. After going to bed last night making $50k/hr, I woke up with enough money to jump to RL1. Once all my raw materials sell, I should have enough to go to RL2. One interesting thing about this is that I'll probably start seeing some new products show up in my shops eventually. I'll have to watch carefully to make sure I don't start losing store value because I now have more options of things to sell.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #86
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I get to start messing around with research levels today. After going to bed last night making $50k/hr, I woke up with enough money to jump to RL1. Once all my raw materials sell, I should have enough to go to RL2. One interesting thing about this is that I'll probably start seeing some new products show up in my shops eventually. I'll have to watch carefully to make sure I don't start losing store value because I now have more options of things to sell.

know what, I had not thought of that but now that you mention it, I see that on RL 2, dolls is one of the new products that'll become available. Surely, they'll be sellable in toyshops, making it a fifth item available in there to worry about. Woah, this makes this a very dynamic game now...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #87
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and it makes me look forward to the next world reset that much more. Can't wait to see how I'll be able to shape my industry with the full 90 days to play with...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #88
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
know what, I had not thought of that but now that you mention it, I see that on RL 2, dolls is one of the new products that'll become available. Surely, they'll be sellable in toyshops, making it a fifth item available in there to worry about. Woah, this makes this a very dynamic game now...

FM

RL1 introduced furry pets as the 4th item, which threw me a bit. I didn't realize that RL2 would put something else in the toy shop. I guess I'll have to hold off on that upgrade. The price for furry pets is nice at about $20k per. The only problem is that they require fabrics which require cotton. Cotton sells for $18k per on the market, so about the only option is growing it once a year. I'm not sure I like that plan.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #89
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
RL1 introduced furry pets as the 4th item, which threw me a bit. I didn't realize that RL2 would put something else in the toy shop. I guess I'll have to hold off on that upgrade. The price for furry pets is nice at about $20k per. The only problem is that they require fabrics which require cotton. Cotton sells for $18k per on the market, so about the only option is growing it once a year. I'm not sure I like that plan.

yeah, furry pets have part of my picture the whole thing since I've been at RL1 for a long time, part of my early on mistake/try outs...

I just threw myself in the cotton/fabrics/furry pets thing. Got plenty of logging camp to put some pulp wood together. The once a year thing isn't so much a problem after the first year, as long as the 46 units over a year are enough to supply your processing plant. I've been harvesting wheat to make bread for a little while now (another one of those trying out thing, heh) and it evens out on the long term...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #90
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oooooooh, just saw that dolls only require plastic and nothing else and I'm already producing plastic. Might jump to RL2 sooner than I thought then...

as a helper for starters I've been cutting their product tree in sections, here is the top portion of it, split in a left and a right part, covering up to RL9...

FM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg it-producttree-part1-left.jpg (86.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg it-producttree-part1-right.jpg (78.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #91
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I've been trying to figure out how to handle furrys.. since I produce close to max for the other three shop items, I'm wondering if it is a big deal for me to just ignore them. Seems like alot of infrastructure for little gain there.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #92
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Dola, it also seems to me that people who stockpile cotton and sell it 2 seasons or so after the harvest could get quite alot more for it than its value earlier in the year.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #93
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
yeah, furry pets have part of my picture the whole thing since I've been at RL1 for a long time, part of my early on mistake/try outs...

I just threw myself in the cotton/fabrics/furry pets thing. Got plenty of logging camp to put some pulp wood together. The once a year thing isn't so much a problem after the first year, as long as the 46 units over a year are enough to supply your processing plant. I've been harvesting wheat to make bread for a little while now (another one of those trying out thing, heh) and it evens out on the long term...

FM

Cotton produces 46 units per year? I think 21 will cover furry pet production for a year. Not sure what I would do with the rest, other than try to sell it on the market. I suppose it is something I should play with before the reset...
Old 07-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #94
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Cotton produces 46 units per year? I think 21 will cover furry pet production for a year. Not sure what I would do with the rest, other than try to sell it on the market. I suppose it is something I should play with before the reset...

sorry, it's only 12 cotton a year, it's 46 wheat a year though...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #95
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
sorry, it's only 12 cotton a year, it's 46 wheat a year though...

FM

Are these production numbers in the wiki help section? I should probably do some math before I jump on this. I did see that fabric can be sold at a textile shop which would cover over-production, but there are 6 things that can be sold there so I would have to figure out a way to cover at least 3 items. That seems like a big startup cost. Toys was much cheaper to get into.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #96
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Are these production numbers in the wiki help section? I should probably do some math before I jump on this. I did see that fabric can be sold at a textile shop which would cover over-production, but there are 6 things that can be sold there so I would have to figure out a way to cover at least 3 items. That seems like a big startup cost. Toys was much cheaper to get into.

yeas, I'm pretty sure it's all in the wiki. Search for cotton and you should find it. I really like it when I can access it. Tells you what can be made with each material and such...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #97
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Textiles is definitely a bigger expense to get running fully. Once my Cotton Farms start producing, I'll be able to fully stock my textile shop that I started working on yesterday. so far, I've built:

4 Oil Derricks (I have excess here that I'm selling, 2 probably was enough)
3 sheep farms (wool)
4 cotton farms
2 Chemical Plants (Rubber and Plastic)
4 Textile Industry Factories (Winter Clothes, Shoes, Fabrics, Knitting Needles)
1 Textile Store

Slightly more than it took me to get do it yourself going!

However, if you just need to sell 3 products and already have fabrics, I think this is the minimum you need:

1 Oil Derrick
1 Chemical Plant (plastics)
1 Textile Industry Factory (Knitting Needles)
1 Sheep Farm

If you already have fabrics, those 4 will get you knitting needles and wool.

edit: 4 cotton farms. not 2.

Last edited by Radii : 07-03-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #98
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Well.. stores are good and bad for me.. the good is that my toyshop brings in 150k a turn right now, but the bad is that I guess I still don't understand the seasonal demands. Right now it is Summer which should mean that there is only demand for 5 wooden locomotives per turn, but I'm still selling 14 per turn.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #99
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

lol, good showing from people from here, don't know who you are, but two of you are in the paper this month :

The company Quadrant LLC has increased goodwill by 111.82% this month. Followed by FOFC LLC with 12.37% and FOFC Industries LLC with 8.03%.

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #100
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I am FOFC Industries LLC