Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #51
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I would say they rub off poorly on you because you can tend to be an ass.

But that's just my opinion

Seriously though, I'm not even remotely like I am on forums as I am in real life. I'm actually a boring, normal guy.

Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:17 AM   #52
daedalus
Pro Rookie

is that a positive or a negative thing that someone possess the testicular fortitude to be an ass online but not in person?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #53
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Hey what If I was intoxicated in a running vehicle in a parking lot and a cop found me, would he not give me a ticket since I was parked

I actually got a ticket for this once. So, I know for a fact that in Michigan if I am behind the wheel of a running vehicle, whether parked or not, I can receive a citation.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:10 AM   #54
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I actually got a ticket for this once. So, I know for a fact that in Michigan if I am behind the wheel of a running vehicle, whether parked or not, I can receive a citation.

I've heard anecdotal stories about intoxicated folks just sitting behind the wheel receiving DUI citations, whether or not the vehicle is running.

Don't know how much urban legend is involved there, but if it's a ticket you're looking to avoid, "you" + behind the wheel = bad combination.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:24 AM   #55
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Did you pull into the fire lane to drop your wife and kid off before they started shopping?

Are their legs broken?

Are you a lazy fuck that is only concerned about himself and not about the safety of others?

I'll let you guess which one will be answered YES.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #56
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I have to agree that it wasn't necessary to park there and wait for your wife, I'm sure she had a cart and could have just as easily wheeled the groceries and your child to the parking space. However, the cop was also going a little overboard by giving you a ticket for it. A simple warning and "move along" would have been enough. Though I'm thinking you probably still would have been bitching about that, saying, "what is the big deal if I am parked there for a couple of minutes to make my wife's life a little easier?"

I had my husband drop me off in front of the store yesterday - but it was POURING rain, we're talking thunder and lightening, people pulling to the side of the road b/c visibility was so bad kind of rain. We were on our way to a party and I had to pick something up, so I asked him to pull up in front so I didn't end up looking like a drowned rat. By the time I left the store, the rain had lightened up, so I just walked to the car. Other than that circumstance, I can't think of a time where I asked him to drop me off or pick me up in front of the store. It's just not necessary.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #57
Saul Goode
n00b

Talk about bandwagon jumpers...The cop shouldn't of given you a ticket it's not that big of deal to park in the fire lane as long as you aren't blocking anything important ($3 plants and bags of salt are not important). Sadly cops are people and they forget about logic and common sense.

Like the you could of been robbing the store and been the getaway car...brilliant!

Speaking of stupid cops...i got a meter ticket that was 5 minutes over and there were 4 open parking spots (2 to the left and 2 to the right). That meter maid sure showed me...as I threw the ticket on the ground and drove off.
Saul Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #58
hoopsguy
General Manager

I recommend watching the kids at home while your wife shops Seriously, she is happy because she can get in/out faster and not have to worry about the kid acting up while she is getting groceries. You are happy not to have to take part in shopping or get tickets while pulling up to the store.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #59
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Talk about bandwagon jumpers...The cop shouldn't of given you a ticket it's not that big of deal to park in the fire lane as long as you aren't blocking anything important ($3 plants and bags of salt are not important). Sadly cops are people and they forget about logic and common sense.

It's a huge freaking deal. It blocks the normal flow of traffic, makes it harder for folks to get in and out of the store, they have to watch for doors opening up. It's extremely inconsiderate to everyone else there. By your logic, why even have parking spaces, why doesn't everyone park right up front?
Old 06-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #60
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
That's pretty good rationalizing as well. Cops should be waiting in parking lots for people pulling up to pick up their wife and small child, instead of looking for someone doing something that could really affect a person's life. I understand, I did technically break a "law". The store has an indented firelane, that allows someone to pull in w/o blocking the driving lane. I've already talked to a buddy of mine, who is on the same dept., and he told me I would have never written the ticket, but instead asked the person to move along. I'm just glad we've got people so anxious to protect and serve citizens from criminals like myself.

Actually they should be driving through parking lots quite often especially at grocery stores. They are surprisingly high crime areas even in busy and well light ones. People snatching old ladies purses and attempted abductions arent nearly as infrequent as you would think from my experience working at grocery stores during college.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #61
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I think we're just lucky that JiMGa hasn't said what the OP deserves.

(oh, and for good measure: )

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-15-2008 at 11:44 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #62
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
It's a huge freaking deal. It blocks the normal flow of traffic, makes it harder for folks to get in and out of the store, they have to watch for doors opening up. It's extremely inconsiderate to everyone else there. By your logic, why even have parking spaces, why doesn't everyone park right up front?

Yes, but why concern yourself with the whole of Christendom when not looking past the nose on your face suits you perfectly.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #63
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post

Like the you could of been robbing the store and been the getaway car...brilliant!

Speaking of stupid cops...i got a meter ticket that was 5 minutes over and there were 4 open parking spots (2 to the left and 2 to the right). That meter maid sure showed me...as I threw the ticket on the ground and drove off.

so you got a ticket because the meter ran out and you didn't think that was valid because there were open spots??

the meter isn't there to ensure that there are parking spots - it is there to raise revenue idiot. you could be the only car in the lot and you'd still get a ticket, or the lot could be completely full and you'd still get a ticket.

and i'm sure the DMV will show you when you go to renew your registration and you have a hundred dollar parking ticket (since it will have escalated cuz you didn't pay it).

g'bye...thanks for playing
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #64
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
so you got a ticket because the meter ran out and you didn't think that was valid because there were open spots??

the meter isn't there to ensure that there are parking spots - it is there to raise revenue idiot. you could be the only car in the lot and you'd still get a ticket, or the lot could be completely full and you'd still get a ticket.

and i'm sure the DMV will show you when you go to renew your registration and you have a hundred dollar parking ticket (since it will have escalated cuz you didn't pay it).

g'bye...thanks for playing

Somewhat weird since Saul registered in March and this was his first post. Must be a lurker or an alt.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #65
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by -apoc- View Post
Actually they should be driving through parking lots quite often especially at grocery stores. They are surprisingly high crime areas even in busy and well light ones. People snatching old ladies purses and attempted abductions arent nearly as infrequent as you would think from my experience working at grocery stores during college.

I went on a ride along a few months back and one of the calls was a grab and go by some teenagers of a couple bottles of alcohol. The manager bitched to the deputy that it would have been prevented if she came around more because he said they hardly see them around. After we left the deputy told them they can't be expected to always wait in parking lots to prevent 10 dollars worth booze to be taken.

It seems to be conflicted POV because the police can't be there all of the time but the stores sure like them there as an image of protection
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #66
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Of course, you're right that not all cops are that way. The majority might even be stand-up guys/gals, it's just my handful of experiences that makes me instinctively negative when it comes to cops.

And no, I've never been to jail, or had a felony. Just traffic stuff, and some other situations (like my friend being arrested because he was playing basketball at night with a glow in the dark ball at a public park).

Hmmm, you ever think your experiences may have been dirven by you actions towards the police??

I can honestly say I have only had one bad experience my whole life with the police and that was because my ex-wife wouldn't shut her mount. I have even avoided a couple of tickets by merely smiling and being polite.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-15-2008 at 01:35 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #67
korme
Go Reds

My buddy parks in the fire lane at Meijer just about every other day to pull out money from their ATM (he uses US Bank)... never had a problem.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #68
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

How many of the holier-than-thou in this thread have never driven above the speed limit?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #69
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
How do you know the police officer wasn't driving by and saw your car parks in the firelane and thought you might be the getaway vehicle for a possible robbery in progress. You are lucky he didn't walk up to your vehicle with his gun drawn.

lol thats the most outrageous, stupid fucking response i've ever heard out of anyone here at fofc
Old 06-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #70
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
How many of the holier-than-thou in this thread have never driven above the speed limit?

that's not the right question. The right question is "how many of the holier than thou's in this thread have ever complained about a ticket they got for driving above the speed limit?"

i've gotten speeding tickets (a few when I was younger), but I never complained about it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #71
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
that's not the right question. The right question is "how many of the holier than thou's in this thread have ever complained about a ticket they got for driving above the speed limit?"

i've gotten speeding tickets (a few when I was younger), but I never complained about it.

Well, fair enough. I'm trying to keep the jackals from piling on at least a little bit. I gave it a shot.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #72
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

I don't know about you but at our (and all Meijer's I've been around) store, the fire lane is fuckin' huge and if you slide your car in there you aren't blocking anything but open space... you aren't blocking any type of traffic, just the middle between one of the sliding doors and the other - and still, there's like a ten foot gap between said car and the building for plenty of people to walk by.

I don't know why everyone at FOFC is pretending to be saints and has never done anything wrong... lighten up people.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #73
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Me, too.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #74
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

it's a fucking fire lane people. lighten the fuck up.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #75
korme
Go Reds

Thank you DD.... can I get a Hell Atlantic in here? I feel like sometimes the people at FOFC need to take the sticks out of their asses.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #76
molson
General Manager

Quote:
That's pretty good rationalizing as well. Cops should be waiting in parking lots for people pulling up to pick up their wife and small child, instead of looking for someone doing something that could really affect a person's life. I understand, I did technically break a "law". The store has an indented firelane, that allows someone to pull in w/o blocking the driving lane. I've already talked to a buddy of mine, who is on the same dept., and he told me I would have never written the ticket, but instead asked the person to move along. I'm just glad we've got people so anxious to protect and serve citizens from criminals like myself.

Routine traffic infractions are a very underrated part of an officer's duty. It's how most people get arrested for warrants, DUIs, drug possessions. He had cause to approach, and at that point, he can legally see if you're drunk, have a warrant, whatever.

At that point, why shouldn't he get you for the $30? Traffic infractions are like a tax on people who don't obey minor traffic rules. Sure it's not the crime of the century, but better you pay that $30 than the taxpayers as a whole who actually obey the laws. It's a funding stream for the department, and in some cities, it's a necessary one for which quotas are established.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #77
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I don't know about you but at our (and all Meijer's I've been around) store, the fire lane is fuckin' huge and if you slide your car in there you aren't blocking anything but open space... you aren't blocking any type of traffic, just the middle between one of the sliding doors and the other - and still, there's like a ten foot gap between said car and the building for plenty of people to walk by.

I don't know why everyone at FOFC is pretending to be saints and has never done anything wrong... lighten up people.

Good for you, and I agree many places have set this up to act like a loading dock area for loading and unloading, and in those cases more power to you. But those who are pretending that people don't cause a boatload of problems when they do this just don't pay any attention to what's going on around them because they could care less about the other people out there. It's the same attitude that has people holding up traffic because they missed a turn instead of driving on to the next light one block up, or pulling in front of you and slamming on the brakes to make a turn when there was no one behind you, or any of a number of other driving habits that save you 30 seconds but cost everyone around you far more time and risk wrecks.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #78
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I don't see what the big deal is. Somebody standing in the fire lane (isn't 'standing' the proper term here rather than 'parking') is going to be able to move out of the lane long before any emergency vehicles get to that part of the parking lot. A "move along" might have been appropriate, but I don't think a ticket was necessary. This seems like someone enforcing the law on the books and not trying to avoid a situation that the law is intended to help avoid.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #79
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

I still love the story about the firefighters that broke the driver's and passenger's window in a car parked in a fire lane and ran the hose right on through...
Old 06-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #80
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I feel like I logged onto the FOFPD forum accidentally.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #81
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I violate traffic laws constantly - I also pay up when I'm caught and don't whine about it.

He's admitting guilt, he just doesn't like the consequences.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #82
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I still love the story about the firefighters that broke the driver's and passenger's window in a car parked in a fire lane and ran the hose right on through...

Where was the fire in this guy's story?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #83
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Where was the fire in this guy's story?

In the store that the fire lane was in front of. Sorry, I don't remember the details of this story, it's been a long time. May even have been in here I heard the last time we had this discussion about inconsiderate driving habits.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #84
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. Somebody standing in the fire lane (isn't 'standing' the proper term here rather than 'parking') is going to be able to move out of the lane long before any emergency vehicles get to that part of the parking lot. A "move along" might have been appropriate, but I don't think a ticket was necessary. This seems like someone enforcing the law on the books and not trying to avoid a situation that the law is intended to help avoid.

It's not the officer's job to interpret the "spirt" of laws.

In reality though, officers don't give tickets like this 99% of the time - unless you're being a huge jerk.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #85
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I violate traffic laws constantly - I also pay up when I'm caught and don't whine about it.

He's admitting guilt, he just doesn't like the consequences.

Well said. This wasn't a subjective ticket like reckless driving, it was a clear cut violation. The officer probably could have gotten away with just giving him a move along, but based on his attitude in this thread, I came across two thoughts that are probably pretty accurate. The first being Coug probably thought he was the best driver out there with his driving record. That's the only reason I could see him bothering to post a 30 dollar infraction on a message board. The second being he probably rolled his eyes and gave attitude to the cop. He probably got the 30 dollar fine for being a jackass about it, not for actually parking in the firelane
Old 06-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #86
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

It's fucking thirty dollars. Some of us pay more for buggy sports sims
Old 06-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #87
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Ah yes, here we go: http://operationsports.com/fofc/showthread.php?t=22057
You can also look at post 44 in there (http://operationsports.com/fofc/show...8&postcount=44) for when I first broached this subject.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #88
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
It's fucking thirty dollars. Some of us pay more for buggy sports sims

and we never, EVER post a rant about those buggy sports sims.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #89
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Well said. This wasn't a subjective ticket like reckless driving, it was a clear cut violation. The officer probably could have gotten away with just giving him a move along, but based on his attitude in this thread, I came across two thoughts that are probably pretty accurate. The first being Coug probably thought he was the best driver out there with his driving record. That's the only reason I could see him bothering to post a 30 dollar infraction on a message board. The second being he probably rolled his eyes and gave attitude to the cop. He probably got the 30 dollar fine for being a jackass about it, not for actually parking in the firelane

Whoa............I never did any of the above. Your two thoughts are way off base. I told him I was waiting on my wife with a small child. I had my six month old in the car, and I am surely not a holier than thou. No way would I EVER give a cop lip. I respect what they do, moreso than most people I would guess. What bothered me the most was (and I didn't post it), was I coached the guys kid in soccer in my early days of coaching at my high school. Dedicated countless hours to the kid, wrote him letters of recommendation to get into the police academy (ironically) at EKU. And NO, I don't expect a free pass because of that. I would expect about about 99.5% of the time a "sir, you're blocking the fire lane, can you move along" to anyone who was doing what I was doing. And like someone mentioned on here, it was a Meijer's, and the firelane is about 100 yards long, and about 15 yards deep. I was in no way blocking traffic. I was more like...........WTF? after I got home. It's something I see done every time I go to a Lowe's, Walmart, Meijer's, Home Depot, etc., and I've never seen anyone told to move, much less ticketed for it. Just my lucky day I suppose.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 06-15-2008 at 03:09 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #90
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Did you pull into the fire lane to drop your wife and kid off before they started shopping?

Are their legs broken?

Are you a lazy fuck that is only concerned about himself and not about the safety of others?

I'll let you guess which one will be answered YES.

Well, since I can't answer yes to any of the above, I'll just post, is Chubby a rude obnoxious poster? The answer would be yes.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 06-15-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #91
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It's not like people are saying "OMG he parked in a fire lane, let's hand him!"

it's more like "Shut the fuck up and pay your ticket you whiner."
Old 06-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #92
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Whoa............I never did any of the above. Your two thoughts are way off base. I told him I was waiting on my wife with a small child. I had my six month old in the car, and I am surely not a holier than thou. No way would I EVER give a cop lip. I respect what they do, moreso than most people I would guess. What bothered me the most was (and I didn't post it), was I coached the guys kid in soccer in my early days of coaching at my high school. Dedicated countless hours to the kid, wrote him letters of recommendation to get into the police academy (ironically) at EKU. And NO, I don't expect a free pass because of that. I would expect about about 99.5% of the time a "sir, you're blocking the fire lane, can you move along" to anyone who was doing what I was doing. And like someone mentioned on here, it was a Meijer's, and the firelane is about 100 yards long, and about 15 yards deep. I was in no way blocking traffic. I was more like...........WTF? after I got home. It's something I see done every time I go to a Lowe's, Walmart, Meijer's, Home Depot, etc., and I've never seen anyone told to move, much less ticketed for it. Just my lucky day I suppose.

Can't catch everyone or be anywhere I guess
Old 06-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #93
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, since I can't answer yes to any of the above, I'll just post, is Chubby a rude obnoxious poster? The answer would be yes.

Good one.

You start a thread looking for sympathy over something 100% your fault and come off sounding like a whiny baby then what did you expect?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #94
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Good one.

You start a thread looking for sympathy over something 100% your fault and come off sounding like a whiny baby then what did you expect?

You certainly have the right to disagree, as most have. But to call someone a lazy fuck because he pulls up to the fire lane to pick up his wife and kid? All I can say, is man, you are cool.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 06-15-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #95
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You certainly have the right to disagree, as most have. But to call someone a lazy fuck because he pulls up to the fire lane to pick up his wife and kid? All I can say, is man, you are cool.

What else would you call it? Was the 30 second walk with a cart too much? Were you too inconvienced to actually, you know, get out of your car and walk her (god forbid you go in with her).
Old 06-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #96
korme
Go Reds

He had his fuckin kid with him, too, Chubby. It's not like he did anything other than to pull up to the side so they could get in... you are stretching this and making it sound like he was thinking 'man i could walk in with her but fuck that im gonna do something crazy instead and see what happens'
Old 06-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #97
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yeah, but we knew Chubby was a rude, obnoxious poster ten years ago. We're just finding out about your parking habits this week.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #98
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
He had his fuckin kid with him, too, Chubby. It's not like he did anything other than to pull up to the side so they could get in... you are stretching this and making it sound like he was thinking 'man i could walk in with her but fuck that im gonna do something crazy instead and see what happens'

Don't hate the cop, hate the law
Old 06-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #99
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, maybe it was unnecessary, and yes, it was a violation of the law. How about "letter of the law vs. spirit of the law"? He was in his car. It was not like he parked the car and let it hang out in the red as he bought his cold cuts.

Cop must have had a quota to meet. Even meter maids around here, whose sole purpose is to write tickets for parking violations give you a little bit of time to move your car. Even when *gasp* parked in a fire lane. Either the cop had a quota, he's bored, or he's an asshole. He could even be all three.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #100
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
What else would you call it? Was the 30 second walk with a cart too much? Were you too inconvienced to actually, you know, get out of your car and walk her (god forbid you go in with her).

No, or course not. That's somethink I would expect of from a tough guy like you. I did go in with her (that's why I didn't drop her off to answer one of your previous questions), but the six month old staring going ballistic, so I took him to the car and started it, because the vibration in the car seat makes him go to sleep. But hey........I'm over it, you should get over it too. If I pay an extra $30, will it make you happy?

Last edited by cougarfreak : 06-15-2008 at 04:24 PM.