Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What is closest to your level of patriotism?
I see 50 stars, 13 stripes, red, white, and blue in my sleep. Nobody loves her like I love her. 5 5.81%
I love this country unconditionally, overlooking the missteps to see the greater good it is working toward. 22 25.58%
I generally love America, but I hang my head in shame when thinking about some occurences. 51 59.30%
I am ashamed to be an American. Get. Me. Out. 2 2.33%
I am not American. I'm lost. Show me how to get back to my Embassy, please. 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #51
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
To me It's not about dropping an atomic bomb so much, it's more about targetting civillians rather than military targets to force a country in to submission, which is something awfully similar to what another group of much-maligned folks try to do these days as well.

WW2 was a total war which is a completely different animal. You have a desire to completely break down a countries efforts to wage war. If you were a civilian there is a good chance that you were either a soldier, potential soldier or a potential worker involved in the war efforts. So, there really are no non-combatents.

There were plenty of cities that met the same fate as Hiroshima and Nagaski, but it just took longer to do it - Coventry, Berlin, Stalingrad, Dresden. (Hell, Dresden was probably a worse action then Hiroshima/Nagaski.

It's war. It sucks. All you can do is learn from it.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #52
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Heck, I'm still mentally quibbling over how to define "this country". Is it an entity unto itself, different from the inhabitants of it? Or are the inhabitants actually "the country"? And where does its potential vs its reality factor in?
For that matter, am I answering in this moment or over the sum total of the existence?

Agreed 100%. Egad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
US is still the only country I'd want to call home. Those who don't haven't traveled much.

Interesting. I've had the opposite experience. The Americans I know who have travelled widely (as I have) generally feel it's still the best country in the world and are happy to call themselves Americans, but are also cognizant that a) it isn't perfect and b) other countries have good attributes.

Conversely, most of the people I meet who think America is the near-perfect nation and all other countries are evil and suck have never actually left the country (and often, have never left their state).

I think you may be referring to college kids who went to Cancun once on spring break and now think America sucks because they can't be drunk all the time.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Or of people willing to call people fools for disagreeing with them.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you've never paid particular attention to my signature
Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #54
Schmidty
Coordinator

A winky smile???? Jon must have had a good day.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
A winky smile???? Jon must have had a good day.

Eh, the cold medicine has kicked in