Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #51
path12
Coordinator

For those of you playing Racing Breed, can you give a quick review? The website looks god-awful, but I'm always looking for the holy grail of a good horse racing game.....

path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #52
chesapeake
College Starter

Nothing has really grabbed my attention recently. The only thing I fire up the PC for of late is to pay the bills and the FOFC-BBCF league. I actually read two books last week. Sigh...
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #53
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
For those of you playing Racing Breed, can you give a quick review? The website looks god-awful, but I'm always looking for the holy grail of a good horse racing game.....

Very quick review: The game's graphics aren't any better than those on the Web site , but under the hood lies a solid game.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #54
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu Blue View Post
Very quick review: The game's graphics aren't any better than those on the Web site , but under the hood lies a solid game.

I'll have to check out the demo then. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #55
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think I've played anything other than FM for months - nothing else seems to hold my interest. Haven't turned on the Xbox for what seems like forever.

DAMN YOU MARC VAUGHAN FOR NOT LETTING ME GET A LIFE~!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #56
billethius
Mascot

Quote:

This thread contains a somewhat longer post by me reviewing the game.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #57
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

DS
Etrian Odyssey (can you say "grind")

PS3

MLB 08: The Show (rarely, not enough hours in the day)

PSP
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core (this is occupying most of my gaming time, which has been extremely limited)
Disgaea
MLB 08: The Show
Pinball: The Williams Collection

Wii
just picked up Super Mario Galaxy (can't wait to try it out)

XBox 360
Eternal Sonata
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (not as much)
Oblivion (on hold for a little bit due to too much other stuff)

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #58
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I missed out on Etrian Odyssey but heard great things about it, I'll be getting the sequel when it comes out in June.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #59
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethius View Post
This thread contains a somewhat longer post by me reviewing the game.

OK, I spent some time with the demo of The Racing Breed today. It is ugly and the UI is pretty clunky, but the game itself was pretty damn fun, and even though it is an owner rather than a trainer standpoint I love the fact I can pick the races for my horses to enter, and the results and PP's seem realistic.

One question for you and HB -- do you find your horses getting claimed very often or is there more competition in the full game for claims? I haven't had any of my horses claimed yet, but have been able to pick up a couple standouts that I got easily.

It also seems that workouts are very indicative of a young colt or filly's ability, which I think might make it a bit too easy to pick off some prime horses.

All in all, at this point it looks like a buy. Am I correct that there is no download the full version option and that I have to go thru Paypal to have the full version shipped? That kind of sucks.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #60
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I missed out on Etrian Odyssey but heard great things about it, I'll be getting the sequel when it comes out in June.

There are a lot of great things about the game, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't have it's massive faults. It was recently listed among the hardest games for a Nintendo system, and it's no lie. It requires a LOT of grinding, for better or worse...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #61
BigDPW
College Prospect

PC:
WWSM 2008 (I have my Stevenage Borough side up to League 1 with 2 consecutive promotions)

360:
COD4 (up to level 52)
CH2k8 (4th dynasty year with my NC A&T Aggies - Made the tourney all three years so far - lost in the 1st round each year except year 2 when I upset Indiana and lost in the 2nd round - I haven't signed a player that was not 3 stars since my second recruting class - I have turned down the Bradley job in the hopes to get a higher profile Mid-Major job - I hope I don't regret that)
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #62
billethius
Mascot

Quote:
OK, I spent some time with the demo of The Racing Breed today. It is ugly and the UI is pretty clunky, but the game itself was pretty damn fun, and even though it is an owner rather than a trainer standpoint I love the fact I can pick the races for my horses to enter, and the results and PP's seem realistic.

One question for you and HB -- do you find your horses getting claimed very often or is there more competition in the full game for claims? I haven't had any of my horses claimed yet, but have been able to pick up a couple standouts that I got easily.

You'll lose horses via claim and you'll also lose out on some claims that you try to make. I've been burned a few times by trying to drop a decent horse into a 50k claimer to get a win and ended up losing them.

Quote:
It also seems that workouts are very indicative of a young colt or filly's ability, which I think might make it a bit too easy to pick off some prime horses.

Yes and no. Young horses with really good works tend to be good runners - but horses with bad works aren't necessarily terrible. I've got a filly who works very fast, but she can't run past 6f and she's only a minor stakes horse there. On the other hand, the best filly I've ever had had very pedestrian works.

Quote:
All in all, at this point it looks like a buy. Am I correct that there is no download the full version option and that I have to go thru Paypal to have the full version shipped? That kind of sucks.

Nope, no download available. When I purchased, I think I did so with a credit card. The shipping is very quick though. I think I had the game 2 days after making the purchase.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #63
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I'm glad you're enjoying the game, path. It goes to show that looks aren't everything. Since billethius answered your other questions, I'll concentrate on the first one:

Quote:
do you find your horses getting claimed very often or is there more competition in the full game for claims? I haven't had any of my horses claimed yet, but have been able to pick up a couple standouts that I got easily.

I'm not sure if there's "more" claiming activity, but you can definitely lose horses if you keep them at the same level for too long. And I've lost the "shake" a few times for horses that I wanted to claim.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #64
Kodos
Resident Alien

PS3: Madden 06 PS2, NCAA 06 PS2
Xbox 360: College Hoops and All Pro Football, both very occasionally

PC: FOF 2007 (multiplayer), BBCF (multiplayer)

PSP: Daxter, Namco Museum Collection, Lumines

Last edited by Kodos : 04-07-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #65
path12
Coordinator

Thanks for the replies, bill & HB. Placed my order last night.