Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #51
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Chinese Democracy is good. Under any halfway normal circumstance, I would give it an A.

I would hate to see what he does give a bad review to because listening to it there isn't much on there outside of filler quality level of songs.

Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #52
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I would hate to see what he does give a bad review to because listening to it there isn't much on there outside of filler quality level of songs.
At least some people don't agree, since the early reviews have been pretty good.

Side note: I think "Street of Dreams" has a chance to become one of the all-time greatest "I think that stripper is trying not to cry" songs.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 11-20-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #53
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The person gave it a A-. This is the kind of ratings that classic albums get. I simply can't imagine this being that close to say Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska album. I won't even add in The Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc...I've tried listening to the songs that people are liking and giving A+ type grades to and yet nothing sticks. If some of those songs are A+ type material, what's something like Paradise City ranking at? The album just lacks a certain gusto, rawness, balls to the wall type vibe to it that early G-n-R had and any quality album would have. It comes across to me as a bunch of neat ideas that laid around far too long and by the time they got put on record nobody was really all that determined to make it actually sound like it was G-n-R against the world which is the definition of G-n-R. I will say I really do like various parts of the songs, but I don't think they add up as a whole.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #54
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Klosterman is one of the few pop culture critics brave(?) enough to not only defend, but celebrate hair metal. He also does a LOT of drugs, which may have influenced his rating.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #55
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Maybe the Chinese government officials would loosen up if we gave them a free Dr. Pepper.

China state media blast new Guns N' Roses album
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #56
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The person gave it a A-. This is the kind of ratings that classic albums get.
No, classic albums would get an A+. Albums that are pretty good get an A-.

Besides, is there really such a thing as a classic album that's just been released? I think Appetite for Destruction is one of the best rock albums of all time, but at least part of that is based on it being part of my music life for 20 years. I don't think anybody listened to that album for the very first time in 1987 and said "this is an all-time classic, the bar by which all stadium rock will be measured from now on".