Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2008, 11:23 PM   #51
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Line Judge is easily my favorite position. If I never do another game as a Linesman I will be thrilled. My varsity schedule this year was split between LJ and U. I don't love it in the middle, but I hate the chains.

I've only ever done line judge on a varsity level. I don't mind it, the only thing that sucks is that you are always near the coach and have to deal with all the bitching and moaning about calls. I never want to be an umpire. I didn't like to get hit when I had pads on so I know I won't like it when I don't have pads on.

I hope to move into the back (either back or side judge) in the next few years. And I really aspire to be a referee, but at 29 years old, I know that I am at least 10 years away from them letting me do that. I've been the Referee at a few JV or freshman games but won't for varsity for a long time.

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #52
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I've only ever done line judge on a varsity level. I don't mind it, the only thing that sucks is that you are always near the coach and have to deal with all the bitching and moaning about calls. I never want to be an umpire. I didn't like to get hit when I had pads on so I know I won't like it when I don't have pads on.

I hope to move into the back (either back or side judge) in the next few years. And I really aspire to be a referee, but at 29 years old, I know that I am at least 10 years away from them letting me do that. I've been the Referee at a few JV or freshman games but won't for varsity for a long time.

I have no interest in getting in the college game or becoming a referee, but we are so short for people here that guys I went through class with in 2001 already do HS Varsity as Rs and have done multiple seasons in college. We have officials who get full varsity schedules who are just not ready/never will be ready, but it's a numbers game.

I'm still a fan before an official and Connecticut high schools still play a lot of varsity games on Saturdays so I cut my potential schedule in half because I block out every UConn game.

I started doing it for the money when I got laid off years ago, and the few thousand dollars I make during the season now I don't need. I hate most of the BS that goes with it - the meetings, the 2 hour pre game discussions, parents and coaches, but it is fun when you get a competitive game.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote