Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #51
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The problem is that for whatever reason, the TV industry has decided to abandon CRTs and push inferior technology on the consumer.

It's called, they weigh a fucking ton and really, really big (depth wise)!

Quote:
I really wish that the TV industry would have continued to manufacture HD CRTs.

Well, they had them for a quite a loooong while. I have a CRT HDTV. A 30'' Sony. It also weighs 150 lbs and requirs to screen to be at least two feet away from the wall because of the depth of the TV.

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #52
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think a ton of the problem with the HDTV equation is the poor signal quality of analog cable for right now. Most consumers just want to buy a tv and plug it in. If you straight plug an LCD into a wall outlet, chances are that it will look like garbage. Even with digital cable, some systems are still very antiquated, and are some digital analog mix.....that can result in significant performance differences between SD, Digital and HD channels.

I switched to Dish Network a few months back, and I am amazed at the picture quality of the SD channels on my LCD. Whereas it looked like trash on all but a few cable channels. I think the signal quality will be figured out in the next couple years, and it will tone down on some of the bullshit looking LCD performance.

HD CRT's are amazing, it sucks that they can't make them anymore. I almost bought one last year, but really didn't have any way to get it to my house. Aka the TV was fucking huge.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #53
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Thank you! I feel exactly the same way. I keep wanting to purchase an hdtv, but whenever I see my friend's HDTVs or go to the store to purchase one, I feel like the picture quality isn't really any better than my current 27" CRT. A football game will be on at Circuit City, and the picture will be gorgeous, but then the camera will pan quickly on a passing play, and everything will be all blocky. That blockyness just doesn't exist on my CRT. And besides, I don't think that I really look too closely to the TV anyways, or if I do, I don't think that a more precise image will improve my viewing pleasure.

You my friend, see the forest for the trees. I really hope that the LCD technology improves to the point where it would make sense to purchase one as I really do like watching movies in wide screen format.

-Cork

Last edited by Cork : 12-27-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #54
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think a ton of the problem with the HDTV equation is the poor signal quality of analog cable for right now. Most consumers just want to buy a tv and plug it in. If you straight plug an LCD into a wall outlet, chances are that it will look like garbage. Even with digital cable, some systems are still very antiquated, and are some digital analog mix.....that can result in significant performance differences between SD, Digital and HD channels.

I was quite scared with my new box when I plumbed it in today - turned it on and in 'HD' it looked great, but watching 'Nick' on the default settings looked awful ... some perseverance and playing with settings has made a vast improvement on that side of things though.

(incidentally I wanted a LCD simply because of the width size difference, I didn't want a TV which took up a huge amount of space, my old 30'' sony was probably a good 16 inches wide whereas the new one is very slim in comparison and the weight differenc between the two is incredible)

Can't wait to get 'HD DirectTV' installed though - anyone got any experiences with this? ... I'm presuming that its just some extra channels opened up and the other boxes in the house will be happy continuing to run bog-standard SD? (as we've 4 boxes in the house).

Also on a related note they do a DVDR setup - is it any good, in England we have Sky+ which has a built in hard-disk for recording/pausing shows and that rocks ... is the DVDR a similar solution and does it allow onscreen recording/operation in the way which Sky+ did (in Sky plus you view things as per normal for channel selection then hit 'record' to mark something to be recorded, similarly a library of all recorded stuff on the hard-disk is available to look over whenever you want to).

Oh and finally thanks to everyone for all the advice and help
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #55
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I have "legacy" HD on DirecTV, and it is awesome. With their new satellite launch, they have a lot more channels, and are using the H.264 encoding on the signals, which is much better than the previous MPEG encoding they were using, but older equipment isn't compatible. I'm not sure if the existing SD boxes will work with the new 5 LNB dish that is needed for the new HD equipment.

Several people on here have the HD20 DVR, and they seem to be very happy with it. I'll be making the switch in January to the new box and dish.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #56
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'm not sure if the existing SD boxes will work with the new 5 LNB dish that is needed for the new HD equipment.

Better be - two different guys at BB told me not to worry, that my old TiVos would still work for the tv's not hooked to the HDVR.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-28-2007 at 09:14 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #57
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My old SD receivers work just fine with the 5 LNB Sat. Count me among those who are a big fan of the HR20. While it lacks a small amount of the functionality of the Tivo box, the improved HD and interactivity make up for it. I've had zero issues with either of our HR20's.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-28-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #58
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Cool, glad to know that the 5 LNB dishes work fine with the legacy receivers. If they didn't I was just going to leave the old dish up and have two sitting on my house.

I should have made the call to upgrade back in October. Now it seems that the days of calling and getting free/almost free HR20s is over.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #59
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork View Post
When I purchase a new TV, I don't want to have to worry about motion blur, image tearing, poor dark colors, the inability to run games, image burn in, inability to see SD broadcasts decently, and the myriad of other issues that plague todays HD TVs.

None of those are issues with a good 120hz LCD.

SD TV looks like ass on HD tubes too.

The biggest problem right now is that content is crap, and the TVs have to blow it up.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:53 AM   #60
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm not 100% sure what "gaming lag" is but I have no issues with my 360 on my Panasonic 42" 75u plasma. Maybe it's similar to how some sports don't look that great on an LCD because of the fast motion?
No, it's a situation where there is enough delay between the signal being sent by the console and the picture being displayed that it affects gameplay. There are supposedly two main components to this issue - conversion of the game's resolution to match the TV's native resolution, and image-enhancement processing. IGN had a number of articles on this issue in 2006.

It may be that this issue became well-known enough that TV manufacturers have addressed the problems in current models.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #61
Peregrine
Pro Starter

CNET recently put up their best TV list for 2007, I know I'm looking hard at the Panasonic TH-42PZ700U, it's gotten a lot of good reviews. Probably will be a couple months before I pull the trigger though.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6485_7-....html?tag=lnav
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
CNET recently put up their best TV list for 2007, I know I'm looking hard at the Panasonic TH-42PZ700U, it's gotten a lot of good reviews. Probably will be a couple months before I pull the trigger though.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-6485_7-....html?tag=lnav

Probably should be in line for a pretty major price drop soon, as well. IIRC, the old one came out right around fathers day, so the closer you get to the new model cycle, the more the price of the remaining stock of the existing models will drop.

The 42pz77u is pretty good as well, and is usually quite a bit cheaper than the 700u.....not exactly sure what you're missing between the 2 models that really matters either. One has a non-glare coating, one a non glare filter. I think the filter on the 700u makes it brighter than the z77u, but I'm not 100% certain. I don't really notice much of a difference. I think the 700u has slightly better rendering abilities to upscale content.

Last edited by stevew : 12-29-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #63
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm thinking on buying one too for the christmas. I have seen a few models at around 1000€ including some Sony Bravias that i like, but all them are 1366 x 768 instead of Full HD 1920 x 1080 that are a 50% more expensive, so i wonder if it's a good time to buy one now or better to wait a bit until 1080 is the standard for all TFT TV's. Full HD is probably not that important for TV watching, but it will be soon for gamming as more and more console games are made in 1080 resolution.

Are you guys buying 768 or 1080 TV's? Are the 10880 ones worth the price increase?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I'm thinking on buying one too for the christmas. I have seen a few models at around 1000€ including some Sony Bravias that i like, but all them are 1366 x 768 instead of Full HD 1920 x 1080 that are a 50% more expensive, so i wonder if it's a good time to buy one now or better to wait a bit until 1080 is the standard for all TFT TV's. Full HD is probably not that important for TV watching, but it will be soon for gamming as more and more console games are made in 1080 resolution.

Are you guys buying 768 or 1080 TV's? Are the 10880 ones worth the price increase?

Often times the 1080 tv's, at least LCD's(aka the Sony Bravia Flat Panel Line) will also have superior color contrast to their 720p counterparts, and in some cases a 120hz refresh rate. Those are a lot bigger upgrades than just the panel resolution.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #65
General Mike
Pro Starter

Bump.

Anybody have one of the Samsung DLPs that use LEDs instead of bulbs? Thoughts on it?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:04 AM   #66
MikeVic
Head Coach

Let me know if I have this right...

LCD is good if you have sun shining in on the TV (because of the way it handles reflection), and doesn't have burn-in. However, unless you can afford the 120Hz versions, you'll notice blur for things like sporting events and some video games. Plasma is good if you have a darker room (or the sun behind the TV), handles up-converting of regular cable better, and doesn't suffer from blur. But it does have burn-in...

edit: I didn't read through the thread... this is just what I've been told.

Last edited by MikeVic : 08-05-2008 at 11:04 AM.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #67
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think plasmas are better for sports/games/movies. Getting the Panasonic plasmas with the anti-reflective screen solves the glare issue. Like this one, for instance.

Panasonic TH-50PX77U Flat-panel TV reviews - CNET Reviews

Quote:
On any television, lights, bright objects in the room, and even pale fabric from a couch or the shirt of a viewer can reflect off the screen, which could become distracting, especially in dark scenes. Of course, the best way to control this issue is to eliminate as much ambient light as possible in the room, but the TH-50PX77U, along with its 77U-series stablemates, addresses the problem in another way. Its screen is coated with an antiglare compound that, unlike the coatings of some previous plasmas we've reviewed such as the Samsung HP-S5053, does a good job of attenuating reflections. We watched TV with the lights on full-blast, and compared to the other plasmas, the reflections on the Panasonic's screen were considerably dimmer, blurrier, and less noticeable. We couldn't discern any adverse effect of the coating on the TV's picture quality.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-05-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #68
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hmm ok cool. If I read through this thread, will the question be answered for me whether I should get an LCD or a plasma?

How good is the burn-in protection on plasmas these days?

I'm looking at these two TVs:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...91&catid=23249
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...44&catid=24558

Opinions?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #69
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

FWIW I have not noticed any lag when gaming on my new Samsung LCD.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #70
Kodos
Resident Alien

The days of burn in being a problem on plasmas are pretty much over. Here's a good forum to read up on some of the common questions about HDTVs.

Flat Panel General & New FP Tech - AVS Forum
Old 08-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #71
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Those are both good selections mike and 2 that I would have suggested. The panasonic seems expensive. Its usually about 1199 here. It would be my first choice though. Even the 42px80 at 720p is a good choice for less money. The 50px80 is going for like 1099 stateside.

Shoot me a pm if you have any other questions. Don't buy any cables at all in the store. They are a serious rip off
Old 08-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Burn in is pretty much a non issue these days btw. You'd have to be extremely careless. Also the panasonics have screen wipe built in if you do start to noice image retention
Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #73
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have a Sony Bravia 46 KDL-46V3000 1080p LCD HDTV and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this TV.

Like most, I hate watching SDTV now. Xbox 360, Wii, HD-DVD's all look stunning on this TV. Finally caught a sale on dell.com and bought it.

Don't listen when people tell you there isn't much of a difference, you'll see once you see HD in full action... especially a soccer game.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #74
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I watch the SD channels in normal mode with the black bars on the left and right.. picture looks much better that way.. but with all the HD channels with dish now, we don't watch them all that much anymore anyway.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #75
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Picked up the 52" Sony XBR4 at Best Buy about a month ago for $3,000. Also got $80 in Best Buy bucks today for the purchase.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #76
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I watch the SD channels in normal mode with the black bars on the left and right.. picture looks much better that way.. but with all the HD channels with dish now, we don't watch them all that much anymore anyway.

Spike comedy and the nick channels are about it for us. We also have sd locals stiLl unfortunately.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #77
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Spike comedy and the nick channels are about it for us. We also have sd locals stiLl unfortunately.

That's most of what we watch in HD.. the locals. Football is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: you know you can buy an HD antenna that hooks into your TV that gets your local channels in HD right? They sell them at Walmart.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-06-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
That's most of what we watch in HD.. the locals. Football is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: you know you can buy an HD antenna that hooks into your TV that gets your local channels in HD right? They sell them at Walmart.

Yeah. I only have a 37 inch Monitor unfortunately. No tuner. Looks like direct gets youngstown sometime soon. Hopefully dish is soon thereafter.

I tried to hook an antenna into the dish box but it wasn't working. May have been the room it was in. Regardless I need to figure out how to get the CW before the new 90210 starts.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #79
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

After doing a lot of research, I bought the Toshiba Regza 42RV530U 42” HD LCD TV, and I couldn’t be more pleased with the results so far.

Since I’m a novice to the HDTV world, I thought I would share this with others who might be in the same boat. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Cox HD Cable for the next few months (Scientific Atlanta 8300 converter box), and it appears that I’m getting a better picture (especially on the non-HD channels) by letting the broadcast signal pass through the box in its native format (480i, 720p or 1080i) and letting the HDTV do the conversion, rather than having the cable box “upconvert” the signal to 1080i before it goes to the TV. Do any of you more experienced HDTV owners have any experience with this?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #80
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
After doing a lot of research, I bought the Toshiba Regza 42RV530U 42” HD LCD TV, and I couldn’t be more pleased with the results so far.

Since I’m a novice to the HDTV world, I thought I would share this with others who might be in the same boat. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Cox HD Cable for the next few months (Scientific Atlanta 8300 converter box), and it appears that I’m getting a better picture (especially on the non-HD channels) by letting the broadcast signal pass through the box in its native format (480i, 720p or 1080i) and letting the HDTV do the conversion, rather than having the cable box “upconvert” the signal to 1080i before it goes to the TV. Do any of you more experienced HDTV owners have any experience with this?

That's what I did. Much better if you output the sd at 480i and then let the TV do the work. I think I turned off any of the stretch stuff as well
Old 11-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #81
Galaril
Pro Starter

We are looking at buying our first HDTV a LCD one and am wondering what is the basic difference between the 1080P AND 720P? The TV is going to be a 32inch if that matters.

Last edited by Galaril : 11-22-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #82
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
We are looking at buying our first HDTV a LCD one and am wondering what is the basic difference between the 1080P AND 720P? The TV is going to be a 32inch if that matters.

It is the resolution of the screen. Think of it in computer terms. 1080P is 1920X1080 resolution, and 720P is generally 1280X720. The P is for progressive scan, meaning it draws each horizontal line every refresh period, and i is for interlace, where it draws every other horizontal line every refresh period.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #83
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Dell has a good deal on a Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p LCD: Dell : SHARP Sharp 42" LC42SB45U 1080p LCD HDTV : Video Conferencing : Home & Home Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfads.net
This is the same television that Dell is selling during their Black Friday sale for $779, which is only $20 less than the current price. The next cheapest price for this television is $862.50 + $80 shipping at Amazon.

As of today, aside from the Dell Black Friday price, this is the best price you will be able to get on a name brand 42" 1080p television.

Also on the site:
Quote:
6th Avenue has their Pre-Black Friday Sale going on now!

Use the code PREFRIDAY during check-out to get the Pre-Black Friday Sale prices! All items listed below offer free shipping and no tax (unless you live in New York or New Jersey)!

The sale features the following items:

Panasonic Viera TH42PX80U 42" 720p Plasma HDTV - $659
TomTom ONE 125 3.5" Clamshell Portable Navigation System - $99.95
Samsung PN42A400 42" 720p Plasma TV - $699.00
Samsung LN40A500 40" 1080p LCD TV - $799.00
Panasonic TH-42PZ80U 42" 1080p Plasma HDTV - $848.96

The Panasonic Viera TH42PX80U 42" 720p Plasma HDTV for $659 was our pick of the best 42" television for the money in our Television Buying Guide.

The price on Black Friday: $699.99 at Sears. You can buy this television right now at 6th Ave for $40 cheaper, with no tax (assume 7% sales tax = $50 additional savings, tax is charged in NY and NJ) with free shipping, this is a really hot deal!

Thanks for Visiting and Tell Your Friends!

Last edited by Raiders Army : 11-22-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #84
cougarfreak
College Starter

Since you guys seem to know wthat the heck you are talking about, and someone brought up tube tv's, I've got a question. I've got an old 36" Sony Wega Flatscreen HDTV. According the manual, it supports 480p, 480i, and 1080p. Does that make sense to you? I didn't even realize it did 1080 until I read the manual online today. I got Direct HD about a month ago, and when I ran the test with the receiver, and got no picture 720, I didn't bother to run the test with 1080. It won't do 1080p, because it doesn't have an HDMI input. So what exactly the difference between 480p and 1080i?

Last edited by cougarfreak : 11-22-2008 at 08:54 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #85
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Since you guys seem to know wthat the heck you are talking about, and someone brought up tube tv's, I've got a question. I've got an old 36" Sony Wega Flatscreen HDTV. According the manual, it supports 480p, 480i, and 1080p. Does that make sense to you? I didn't even realize it did 1080 until I read the manual online today. I got Direct HD about a month ago, and when I ran the test with the receiver, and got no picture 720, I didn't bother to run the test with 1080. It won't do 1080i, because it doesn't have an HDMI input. So what exactly the difference between 480p and 1080i?

Look up two posts its covered pretty well.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #86
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Look up two posts its covered pretty well.

But does it make sense? To have a TV have 1080i, and no 720 at all?
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote