Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #51
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Wow, what a finish of the Appalachin State game.
Unbelievable. First, JMU goes for it 4th and 2 at their own 20 up 27-22 ~2:30 left, and gets stopped. After App St scores a TD, they miss the 2-pt attempt, so 28-27 ASU 1:10 to go. Then JMU gets down to App State's 9 with 28 seconds to go - keeps running plays instead of kicking the FG and fumbles!

UMass pulls away late from Fordham 49-35, tying the school record for yardage.

Wofford only down 3 at halftime at Montana and Southern Illinois dominating Eastern.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #52
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Absolutely nothing of substance to add other than pointing out that even if the Ivy League did participate in the FCS play-offs, Yale would have needed an at-large bid due to a certain 37-6 happening last Saturday in New Haven.

This also presumes that the NCAA would give the Ivy League an autobid (not likely unless they expanded the playoffs). If the Ivy presidents were to suddenly relent and allow playoff participation, the question of the autobid would still be a stumbling block.

But with that being said, the Ivy teams that have finished 9-1 or 10-0 historically have had strong GPI ratings. So, many of the championship Harvard teams of this decade would have still made attractive at-large candidates.

This year though, Yale had the better record and GPI than Harvard, even after the Harvard win. I wouldn't be surprised if the committee would still take Yale over Harvard, even if Harvard did win the title.

This is all hypothetical, of course.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 PM   #53
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
TWC added it to their digital basic tier in NYC back in August.

They are lucky. Most I know have Cablevision or Comcast in the tri-state area.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #54
Jas_lov
College Starter

#1 UNI luckboxed themselves a win over UNH 38-35. They did not deserve to win! It was a joke.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well I certainly was surprised by the Wofford upset of Montana.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #56
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well I certainly was surprised by the Wofford upset of Montana.
Montana played a weak schedule this year, IMO the way Eastern Washington went into McNeese State and dominated was much more surprising.

Delaware @ #1 Northern Iowa winner plays UMass @ #4 Southern Illinois winner
and
Wofford/Richmond winner plays Eastern Washington/Appalachian St winner

And Klingerware, I'm not certain, but I think the Ivy League would get an auto-bid because they have had at least 6 teams together for enough years. IF the Ivy's wanted it, it'd be hard to argue the MEAC or Patriot leagues deserved an auto-bid over the Ivy League.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #57
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quarterfinal Games:
Delaware @ Northern Iowa
Massachusetts @ Southern Illinois
Eastern Washington @ Appalachian State
Richmond @ Wofford

It looks like the CAA's 5 bids were well deserved. 3 out of the 5 won their games, and JMU almost pulled it off against App state. Even UNH almost knocked off the #1 seed this year.

I also noticed on the schedule that the Pioneer and NEC champs are playing each other today. Kind of cool that they are getting some sort of post-season.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #58
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

And Klingerware, I'm not certain, but I think the Ivy League would get an auto-bid because they have had at least 6 teams together for enough years. IF the Ivy's wanted it, it'd be hard to argue the MEAC or Patriot leagues deserved an auto-bid over the Ivy League.

Yeah, that's an argument I've heard. Also, the Ivy's conference rankings tend to be higher than the MEAC and Patriot's year after year.

The flip side is that I doubt the NCAA would easily revoke an autobid, once it has been granted. Also, Colgate's run a couple years back kind of "proves" that the PL "belongs", so the powers-that-be would be hard-pressed to kick the Patriot League out, even if the Ivy League is more attractive both in terms of tradition and strength of conference.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 12-01-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #59
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Quarterfinal Games:
Delaware @ Northern Iowa
Massachusetts @ Southern Illinois
Eastern Washington @ Appalachian State
Richmond @ Wofford

It looks like the CAA's 5 bids were well deserved. 3 out of the 5 won their games, and JMU almost pulled it off against App state. Even UNH almost knocked off the #1 seed this year.

I also noticed on the schedule that the Pioneer and NEC champs are playing each other today. Kind of cool that they are getting some sort of post-season.
Yeah.. I think the CAA really showed themselves and at this point it's possible (although not likely) that 3 of the final 4 are CAA teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #60
wade moore
lolzcat

The only way to get any games today is Gameplan?!

What crap.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 12-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #61
BishopMVP
Coordinator

UMass game is on NESN up here... and so far I wish it wasn't. 13-0 SIU 7 minutes in. We let their backup TE go 70 yards on their first play from scrimmage. We do have the ball in the red zone though.

App St survives a late rally and moves on 38-35. Delaware comes back from an early hole to lead #1 Northern Iowa 19-10 late 2nd Quarter.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #62
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Fuck. UMass in SIU territory, thrown an INT then some 5'5 RB gets lost in a pile and sprints out for a TD. 34-13 SIU 7 to go in 3rdQ. 2 plays later and we're back in SIU territory though. In a shock to all CAA fans, we're having to overcome numerous stupid penalties.

Delaware doesn't learn from JMU's mistake last week, goes for a TD with a minute left up 5 and fumbles... but they get bailed out by an offsides call and punch it in after. 39-27 Delaware over #1 UNI, should be ballgame.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #63
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Another UMass INT at the SIU 10.

And UMass quickly back deep into SIU territory again. Still 34-13 2 to go in 3rdQ. Delaware game is a final.

Oh, and Klingerware, I think the NCAA would just give an additional auto-bid to the Ivy rather than take one away from one of the other conferences.

EDIT- TD UMass 34-20 1:16 to go 3rdQ.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-01-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #64
BishopMVP
Coordinator

TD UMass 34-27 4min to go 4thQ, after another UMass red zone INT called back for PI. These officials are terrible, not biased against us or SIU terrible, but they've made 3 offsetting calls in the last 3 minutes where at least one of the two penalties was non-existent.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #65
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Ballgame. 34-27 Southern Illinois advances, will host Delaware. We outgained them, but 3 red zone interceptions killed us. App St will presumably host the Richmond/Wofford winner in the other semi.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #66
wade moore
lolzcat

Two CAA teams advance... there could still be an all CAA final.

Quote:
Old 12-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #67
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
App St survives a late rally and moves on 38-35.

Nuts.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #68
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Oh, and Klingerware, I think the NCAA would just give an additional auto-bid to the Ivy rather than take one away from one of the other conferences.

Sounds logical, but since when did the NCAA do anything logical?

They would have to expand the playoffs, since the bylaws state that there must be as many at-large bids as there are autobids. But, since the FCS power conferences don't want to expand the playoffs, and the Ivy presidents don't want playoff participation, it's all moot...
Old 12-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #69
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

go salukis!
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #70
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

App State is playing Richmond on ESPN2 and App State is already up 14-0. They're really clicking at home and it seems they're wearing the "our win against Michigan won't mean squat if we don't win another national title," chip quite well looking dominant early.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #71
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Shockingly, App St gives up another lead and pulls it out again in the 4th. 55-35 late 4th after Richmond had tied it at 35. Armanti Edwards, what Allen Iverson would have been if he stuck to football, sets a new FCS QB rushing record with 313 yds.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #72
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
Proud Alum of the Fightin' Blue Hens, the fiercest football team in Delaware! Don't know anything about that Del St stuff, but I can tell you, if you get drunk enough, its like you're watching Michigan play!

WOO HOO, GO FIGHTING BLUE HENS!
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #73
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...S-Illinois.php

Delaware 20, SIU 17
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #74
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Appalachian State is going to win this whole thing. They are unstoppable.

QFT.

Next time I'll use the spoiler tag. Sorry about that, fellas!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #75
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfiveoh View Post
IS IT REALLY? Add NDSU and SDSU to the Gateway next year and you'll be watching the second-best conference.

So, Gateway changed their name to MVC - but I wanted to visit this issue.

CAA Rankings in the GPI:

1. James Madison
5. Villanova
6. Richmond
9. UMass
13. New Hampshire
17. William and Mary
25T. Northeastern
27. Maine
31. Delaware
43. Hofstra
72. Towson
73. Rhode Island

MVFC Rankings in the GPI:

11. Northern Iowa
14. Western Illinois
19. Souther Illinois
23. SDSU
29. NDSU
50. Missouri State
55. Illinois State
68. Youngstown State
116. Indiana State

There are FOUR CAA teams before you get to your first MVFC team.

Quote:
Old 12-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #76
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Richmond is about to win their first national title. 24-7 with about a minute to go.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #77
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Richmond's coach, Mike London is an alum of the school and is in his first year as the coach there.

First national title for the school in any sport.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:38 PM   #78
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Richmond's coach, Mike London is an alum of the school and is in his first year as the coach there.

He was very emotional after the game, and you could tell that this was a really huge deal, but he didn't make it about himself. He deflected the significance of the accomplishment on the players, coaches, administration and the fans.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #79
Philliesfan980
Banned

Great Tournament all the way around. A big reason why I like the FCS better than FBS football.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #80
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Richmond is about to win their first national title. 24-7 with about a minute to go.

London is a very good coach - spent some time at W&M as well.

Good to see Richmond get some revenge for the CAA - the Spiders looked every bit the best team on the field in this game.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2009, 05:34 AM   #81
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yeah..Jeff Pearlman brought this up earlier this year and in act of serendipity, it happened.

Pearlman: Yellow Blue Hens - ESPN Page 2

Should be really interesting.

University of Delaware Athletics and Sports Information

Quote:
Delaware-Delaware State Agree On Historic Four-Game Football Series; Teams Will Meet this Sept. 19 at Delaware Stadium
DATE: February 24, 2009
Complete Delaware 2009 Schedule
Photo Courtesy of Mike Baker (from left, K.C. Keeler, Dr. Patrick T. Harker, Gov. Jack Markell, Dr. Claibourne D. Smith, Al Lavan)
DOVER, Del. – Delaware State University and the University of Delaware announced today that they have reached a formal agreement that will result in the scheduling of four future football contests.
In a historic joint announcement made today by DSU acting President Claibourne D. Smith and UD President Patrick T. Harker at Delaware State's Administration Building, the two universities will play a series of games that will take place on Sept. 8, 2012, Sept. 7, 2013 and Sept. 6, 2014. All three games will be played at the University of Delaware's 22,000-seat Delaware Stadium.
The series will kickoff this fall when the two schools will play a scheduled game on Sept. 19, 2009 at Delaware Stadium. The game time and ticket information will be released later this spring.
The 2009 game came about when Furman announced earlier this month that it was dropping out of a scheduled Sept. 19 game at Delaware earlier this month in order to schedule a game at the University of Missouri on that date.
In addition to the President Smith and President Harker, also taking part in the announcement were Delaware Governor Jack Markell, Delaware head coach K.C. Keeler, and Delaware State head coach Al Lavan.
"A football game between the University of Delaware and Delaware State is a great thing for our state," said Markell. "This is a significant day for these two outstanding institutions, for their students, for their coaches, and for their administrators. And we certainly cannot forget the sports fans in Delaware who are big winners in this as well. I have had the privilege of attending games at both schools and have enjoyed the wonderful enthusiasm and passion I've seen by students, alumni, and fans. I want to thanks both schools for working together and making this agreement. "
The DSU Hornets and the UD Blue Hens played for a historic first time in 2007 when both teams earned bids to play in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Series. The first round game, won by the Blue Hens by a 44-7 score, drew a Delaware Stadium playoff record crowd of 19,765, was broadcast live nationally on ESPN, and generated extensive local and national media attention.
However, the two football programs had never before scheduled a game against each other.
“This is a great day for two exceptional NCAA Football Championship Subdivision football programs, but more importantly for the players, for the student bodies, for the alumni, and for the citizens of the State of Delaware,” Dr. Harker said. “The Delaware-Delaware State game is a win-win for both universities, promising a great athletic contest and a great atmosphere, not to mention a competitive stimulus for both athletic programs with a game certain to sell out every time it is played.”
“The tremendous excitement that was generated when DSU and UD played in the 2007 college playoffs made it clear that this is a match-up that football fans in Delaware want to see regularly,” said Dr. Smith. “With this agreement, Delawareans will be able to look forward to an in-state collegiate rivalry and both football squads will have an outstanding game challenge for which they will prepare.”
Both teams experienced tremendous successes during their 2007 football campaigns which led to the Hornets and the Blue Hens' historic meeting in the opening round of FCS playoffs.
Delaware State had captured the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) title and made its first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance while Delaware began an incredible post-season run that took the Hens all the way to the national championship game.
The following year however, both UD and DSU experienced off-years with records of 4-8 and 5-6, respectively.
Delaware's optimism is high in 2009 as the Blue Hens return over 20 players with starting experience, including 14 back from a defense that ranked among the top units in the Colonial Athletic Association a year ago.
Leading the group is senior defensive end/linebacker Matt Marcorelle, a two-time all-conference pick who earned All-American honors in 2007, and senior safety Charles Graves, who led the team with 78 tackles and earned second-team All-American honors by the Associated Press this past fall.
Delaware head coach K.C. Keeler will enter his eighth season at the helm of the Blue Hens with a record of 56-34. In 14 seasons as a college head coach, he is 144-55-1 and ranks among the top winning active coaches in NCAA Division I FCS.
“This game is an exciting thing not only for our football teams and our institutions, but for all the fans in Delaware,” said Keeler. “I have the utmost respect for Coach Lavan and his program at Delaware State and we look forward to this year’s game and to all our future meetings. It’s always exciting to begin a new rivalry. We can’t wait for September.”
The University of Delaware has enjoyed outstanding football success during its 117 seasons since 1889. The Blue Hens have captured six national titles, including in 2003 when the team went 15-1 and defeated Colgate in the national title game. In addition, UD has finished as national runner-up four times (including 2007), won 15 conference titles, advanced to the NCAA Tournament 19 times, been named Lambert (Eastern) Cup champion 19 teams, and ECAC Team of the Year 11 times.
The DSU Hornets will be put to the test in 2009. In addition to the Sept. 19 game against the Blue Hens, the Hornets will later take the field against the University of Michigan Wolverines on Oct. 17 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich. DSU will open the season with a MEAC game on Sept. 5 at Florida A&M.
In five seasons at DSU, Lavan has posted an overall record of 34-22, including a 29-10 mark in MEAC contests. He has led the team to winning records in three of the last four seasons. In the three years prior to his arrival, the Hornets were 10-24 overall and 6-17 in the league. Delaware State had just one winning season in the eight years before Lavan took the job.
“The scheduling of these games will establish an in-state regular season matchup that has been a long time in coming,” said Lavan. “It is a challenge that the Hornet team accepts and we look forward to the competition between these two great universities.”
As the State College for Colored Students in 1905, the school established its first football team. According to the existing win-loss records that date back to 1924, Delaware State has an all-time record of 328-357-11, with undefeated conference records in 1985, 1987 and 2007.
The 2007 season was the top football campaign in the DSU’s history as it finished the year 8-0 in the MEAC and 10-2 overall, with its final game loss coming against UD in that historic playoff matchup.
While this is the first time that DSU and UD have included each other on their regular season football schedule, the two universities have competed previously in men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, women’s softball, women’s volleyball, tennis, cross country as well as track and field. For the first time in the fall 2009, the two schools’ women’s soccer teams will play a regular season match.
Below is Delaware’s 2009 schedule, including a Sept. 12 matchup with defending national champion Richmond at Delaware Stadium. The West Chester game is the only game in which a starting time has been determined.
Sept. 4 vs. West Chester, 7 p.m.; Sept. 12 vs. Richmond (Band Day); Sept. 19, Delaware State; Sept. 26 at William & Mary; Oct. 3 at Maine; Oct. 10 vs. Massachusetts (Parents & Family Weekend); Oct. 17 at Towson; Oct. 24, Open Date; Oct. 31 vs. James Madison (Homecoming); Nov. 7 vs. Hofstra (Hall of Fame Day); Nov. 14 at Navy; Nov. 21 at Villanova.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #82
Klinglerware
College Starter

So it looks like Fordham has sent an ultimatum to the rest of the Patriot League: they're going full scholarship for football, no matter what, and will leave the conference if the rest of the league doesn't follow suit.

Honestly, Fordham should leave--they're a football-only member anyway that doesn't seem to share the same values as the rest of the membership. In another board I suggested that they belonged in a scholarship league like the CAA, but with the recent expansion, the CAA is already bloated.

I do wonder, though, if Fordham is just trying to position themselves for the next potential round of realignment. The Big East and Atlantic 10 basketball conferences are unwieldy. Most of the former Yankee/A10 football schools are not in the CAA by choice. The CAA seems to be shaping itself into an all-sports league with a southern focus, which could mean that the northeastern football schools may not have a place long-term in the CAA. I could see a situation where the Big East splits up, and the BE basketball schools raid some of the A-10 basketball schools who play CAA football (eg UMass, UNH) to form a new northeastern focused all-sports league that would sponsor 1-AA football. They would probably need a Fordham (and/or a Bryant or Albany) to upgrade to scholarship football for this to happen.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #83
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
So it looks like Fordham has sent an ultimatum to the rest of the Patriot League: they're going full scholarship for football, no matter what, and will leave the conference if the rest of the league doesn't follow suit.

Honestly, Fordham should leave--they're a football-only member anyway that doesn't seem to share the same values as the rest of the membership. In another board I suggested that they belonged in a scholarship league like the CAA, but with the recent expansion, the CAA is already bloated.

I do wonder, though, if Fordham is just trying to position themselves for the next potential round of realignment. The Big East and Atlantic 10 basketball conferences are unwieldy. Most of the former Yankee/A10 football schools are not in the CAA by choice. The CAA seems to be shaping itself into an all-sports league with a southern focus, which could mean that the northeastern football schools may not have a place long-term in the CAA. I could see a situation where the Big East splits up, and the BE basketball schools raid some of the A-10 basketball schools who play CAA football (eg UMass, UNH) to form a new northeastern focused all-sports league that would sponsor 1-AA football. They would probably need a Fordham (and/or a Bryant or Albany) to upgrade to scholarship football for this to happen.

With the recent expansion there has been a ton of chatter on the CAA Message Boards about what the future of the league looks like. As we get more and more all-sports teams the North East, Non-Football schools just don't seem to fit in. Soon the league will have fourteen football teams. That's an uh, interesting schedule. We have the potential of teams that we only play every 5 or so years in our conference.

So, I think Fordham could definitely work in the CAA as an all-sport school. I think their various programs would be on par and could ease the pain if we lost one of our good football programs (like UNH or UMass).

Quote:
Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #84
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

So, I think Fordham could definitely work in the CAA as an all-sport school. I think their various programs would be on par and could ease the pain if we lost one of our good football programs (like UNH or UMass).

So, while Fordham's move is eliciting quite a bit of bad will, it actually is sounding pretty savvy based on your comment. An all-sport all-scholarship Fordham would be attractive to both the CAA and a potential new northeast all-sports league. I would guess, though, that Fordham would want to end up with wherever schools like Villanova and UMass end up.