Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #51
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'd prefer they take Ellis or Lauriniatis at 9 and then trade up to the mid to late first round and get a DE like Campbell or Harvey. They should get 3 or 4 sandwich picks this year, so they have the opportunity to get two high quality defensive starters if they're just a little aggressive.

I'd like to see the Pats grab Laurinitis at #7 if they decide to keep the pick. More likely though is that they trade down, and if they do I'd like to see them grab a CB: Cason from Arizona or one of the Jenkins (tOSU's or South Florida's). I haven't seen a lot of the other LB's aside from Laurinitis, Highsmith from LSU, and Hall from V-Tech, who are some of the other big name LBs in this draft?

Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #52
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow View Post
The Bears grabbed Tommie Harris at #14 a few years ago, maybe it's a lucky spot for them? (I've got nothing...)

Edit to add: They also grabbed Michael Haynes the year before at #14, so, um, maybe not...

I don't know where the Bears will go in the draft. It depends on what they do at the quarterback spot. I think they made a dumb move last year by trading away Jones.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #53
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
I'd like to see the Pats grab Katzenmoyer at #7 if they decide to keep the pick.

Really?

I see them looking at a corner to replace Samuel (should they let him go.)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #54
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I don't know where the Bears will go in the draft. It depends on what they do at the quarterback spot. I think they made a dumb move last year by trading away Jones.

I don't think trading Jones was necessarily dumb, I think what they did with the draft pick they got from the Jets was dumb. Jones wouldn't have done any better than Benson did behind that O-Line this year. Angelo was an idiot for relying on an O-Line with 4 starters in their 30s to remain strong.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #55
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

They were dumb to draft Benson in the first place, after Jones had already proven he could carry the load. Besides, nowadays we've seen that if you put up a good enough O-Line, you can put Coffee Warlord at tailback and still get 100 yards/game.

I'd like to see the Bears go all-out and try to get Donovan McNabb instead of getting a QB in the 1st round. The team's more in the position of being ready aside from the QB. The receiving corps isn't bad, Adrian Peterson's a good back, and the defense started showing some signs of life (provided they just replace Archuleta). Stick a good QB in there and they're right back in the hunt, to my mind.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #56
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
They were dumb to draft Benson in the first place, after Jones had already proven he could carry the load. Besides, nowadays we've seen that if you put up a good enough O-Line, you can put Coffee Warlord at tailback and still get 100 yards/game.

I'd like to see the Bears go all-out and try to get Donovan McNabb instead of getting a QB in the 1st round. The team's more in the position of being ready aside from the QB. The receiving corps isn't bad, Adrian Peterson's a good back, and the defense started showing some signs of life (provided they just replace Archuleta). Stick a good QB in there and they're right back in the hunt, to my mind.

I agree with you in the drafting Benson.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #57
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Davone Bess has hired an agent, so he's leaving. He was given a 2nd round grade from the NFL draft advisory board.

Ryan Grice-Mullins is considering leaving.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #58
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Two thoughts: The Rams better get a stud guy for the OL. Not only do they need depth, but there is no guarantee that Pace comes back fully from his injury.

Second, I thought Mendenhall was a sophomore. I would definitely stick around another year if I was him.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #59
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

Ugh, Other than Berrian, who is as good as gone, who do they have at WR? Mushin? Devin?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #60
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Two thoughts: The Rams better get a stud guy for the OL. Not only do they need depth, but there is no guarantee that Pace comes back fully from his injury.

Second, I thought Mendenhall was a sophomore. I would definitely stick around another year if I was him.

Hes a junior
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #61
Galaxy
Coordinator

Looks like Mendenhall is coming out.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7641446?MSNHPHMA

I didn't get a chance to watch the Rose Bowl or much of Illinois this year. What kind of back is he?
Old 01-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #62
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Looks like Mendenhall is coming out.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7641446?MSNHPHMA

I didn't get a chance to watch the Rose Bowl or much of Illinois this year. What kind of back is he?

Thank god he is leaving. I'd compare him to a McFadden type back, but less hype. He had a great game against USC, 17 car for 155 yds and 5 rec for 59 yds.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #63
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Zook, though, said he needed to come back because he was a poor blocker. Wonder how much that will effect him.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:04 PM   #64
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Zook, though, said he needed to come back because he was a poor blocker. Wonder how much that will effect him.

Thats Zook trying to make an excuse to get him to come back. Just about every back coming out of college is a poor blocker because its rare for college teams to use their top back as a blocker.

It won't affect his draft position at all, the only thing it would affect is how he's used as a rookie.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #65
Logan
Head Coach

Adrian Peterson needs work as a blocker and obviously did great in his first year. It really wouldn't surprise me if Mendenhall followed him as the Offensive ROY.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #66
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Davone Bess has hired an agent, so he's leaving. He was given a 2nd round grade from the NFL draft advisory board.

Ryan Grice-Mullins is considering leaving.

RGM is leaving as he has signed with an agent. He reportedly received a 4th round grade.

LB Adam Leonard has decided to stay in school. I was expecting him to leave so that's a nice surprise.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #67
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Wasn't sure where to put this, didn't think it really merited it's own thread.

Saw a little blurb on ESPN News that the Raves are very interested in Donovan McNabb. Wasn't a big story, just a 1 line item in the "News Wired" segment. I believe it was reported by Mort, but not certain. They said the move would have to include Baltimore's #8 overall pick.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #68
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Franchise tag # for this year

Franchise tag salaries for 2008 by position:
Position | Millions
Quarterback $10.73
Cornerback $9.465
Defensive end $8.879
Linebacker $8.065
Wide receiver $7.848
Offensive line $7.455
Defensive tackle $6.363
Running back $6.538
Tight end $4.522
Safety $4.396
Kicker/punter $2.514

Thus far the Eagles have franchised TE LJ Smith, but that's about it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #69
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Here are some rumored franchise tag applicants.
(from thejetsblog.com)

Confirmed
L.J. Smith - TE, Eagles [AP Newswire]
Rumored
Randy Moss — WR - Patriots [Sun Chronicle]
Albert Haynesworth — DT - Titans [ESPN.com]
Terrell Suggs — OLB - Ravens [Rotoworld via NFLN]
Nnamdi Asomugha — CB - Raiders [RealFootball365 via NFLN]
Karlos Dansby — LB - Cardinals [East Valley Tribune]
Jordan Gross — OT - Panthers [HeraldOnline]
Jared Allen — DE - Chiefs [Sporting News]
Dallas Clark — TE - Colts [Colts.com]
Rumored but Unlikely
Bernard Berrian — WR - Bears [Rotoworld via NFLN]
Flozell Adams — LT - Cowboys [Dallas Morning News]

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 02-09-2008 at 10:00 AM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #70
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hold out some hope that the Steelers will decide to franchise G Alan Faneca, but that seems unlikely.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #71
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, I'm not reading good things with Faneca. Just pay him already.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #72
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Adrian Peterson needs work as a blocker and obviously did great in his first year. It really wouldn't surprise me if Mendenhall followed him as the Offensive ROY.

It really will depend on who drafts him but I also wouldnt be surprised. I would say AP has that once every 10 year talent however and dont expect any back close to his talent in this draft.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #73
watravaler
High School JV

Mike Mayock's draft rankings...

Mendenhall ahead of McFadden...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsess...o&confirm=true
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #74
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
Mike Mayock's draft rankings...

Mendenhall ahead of McFadden...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsess...o&confirm=true

Also, Sedrick Ellis ahead of Glenn Dorsey, and Chad Henne the #2 QB. I would say his opinions are at odds with the mainstream.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #75
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Also, Sedrick Ellis ahead of Glenn Dorsey, and Chad Henne the #2 QB. I would say his opinions are at odds with the mainstream.

Kiper agrees with Ellis over Dorsey (last I checked), and Todd McShay has Ellis as his fastest rising player in the whole draft.

Dorsey is bigger and wider and will probably be the better run defender at the NFL level, but Ellis is faster and almost as strong and will be a dominant pass rusher from the 3 technique. Depends what you are looking for I guess. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #76
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Kiper agrees with Ellis over Dorsey (last I checked), and Todd McShay has Ellis as his fastest rising player in the whole draft.

Dorsey is bigger and wider and will probably be the better run defender at the NFL level, but Ellis is faster and almost as strong and will be a dominant pass rusher from the 3 technique. Depends what you are looking for I guess. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I'm not arguing the merits of one player or another. I just don't think it means a lot if one guy with a bunch of eccentric rankings has Mendenhall ahead of McFadden.

knives out
Old 02-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #77
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I'm not arguing the merits of one player or another. I just don't think it means a lot if one guy with a bunch of eccentric rankings has Mendenhall ahead of McFadden.

I've read a couple comments from NFL scouts on concerns over McFadden's vision and they like both Felix Jones and Mendenhall over McFadden. So I don't think its out of the realm of possibility to see McFadden slipping a bit as teams start breaking down his film.

His ranking of Andre Woodson 5th is also in line with what I've read. Woodson was so bad at the All Star game he played in that he's almost assured to have dropped out of the 1st round and if he's just as bad at his pro day the scouts I read that commented say he may drop out of the first day entirely.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #78
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I've read a couple comments from NFL scouts on concerns over McFadden's vision and they like both Felix Jones and Mendenhall over McFadden. So I don't think its out of the realm of possibility to see McFadden slipping a bit as teams start breaking down his film.

His ranking of Andre Woodson 5th is also in line with what I've read. Woodson was so bad at the All Star game he played in that he's almost assured to have dropped out of the 1st round and if he's just as bad at his pro day the scouts I read that commented say he may drop out of the first day entirely.

There's always a lot of hyperbole after all-star games and combines.

knives out
Old 02-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #79
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I hold out some hope that the Steelers will decide to franchise G Alan Faneca, but that seems unlikely.

I'm pretty sure that I've heard he really wants to head to Arizona, but I've also heard the Jets will be very interested. Hoping the Jets give him some good money to fix their terrible offensive line.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 02-09-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #80
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I'm pretty sure that I've heard he really wants to head to Arizona.

he must be nuts
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #81
Galaxy
Coordinator

Who are the top "realistic" free agents? (That opens March 1st, correct?)

Any salary cap links?
Old 02-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #82
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
he must be nuts

All of the steelers coaches are in AZ now, so it makes perfect sense.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's no way Woodson should fall out of the first 3 rounds. I think technically "first day" is rds 1 and 2 this year. But Woodson in the 3rd is an educated gamble for probably 75% of the NFL franchises, at that round he's worth it as a developmental talent alone. Pull the FOF move, develop him and trade him for a couple 2's in a few years.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #84
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Some of the better UFA's at first glance

RB Michael Turner
WR Bernard Berrian
WR Terrance Copper
WR D.J. Hackett
WR Bryant Johnson
WR Randy Moss
WR Ernest Wilford
OG Jacob Bell
OG Alan Faneca
OT Flozell Adams
OT Stacy Andrews
DL Jared Allen
DL Albert Haynesworth
DL Tommy Kelly
DL Justin Smith
DL Randy Starks
DL Terrell Suggs
LB Boss Bailey
LB Lance Briggs
LB Karlos Dansby
LB Calvin Pace
CB Asante Samuel
SS Yeremiah Bell
FS Madieu Williams

Here's a list I stole from another forum of some of the better unrestricted free agents. If you open up the spoiler button it will show the whole list.

Spoiler
Old 02-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Shorty's going to have to buy a new jersey.......

Quote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23120543/

Redskins interested in trade for Chad Johnson
Report says Snyder wants to acquire elite receiver

The Washington Redskins may be looking to help their rookie coach Jim Zorn, as they are interested in pursuing a trade for disgruntled Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Johnson, according to the Washington Post.

The report said that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder was eager to add a top-notch receiver to his roster, and had Johnson at the top of his list. It also said that Johnson, according to two league sources, was "eager to land a hefty new contract from Washington."

The Bengals have said they do not want to trade Johnson, but the receiver's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is said to be working behind the scenes to facilitate a trade, the Post reported.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #86
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Jim Zorn: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"
Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #87
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

No way that trade happens without it being multiple first round picks. The cap hit the Bengals would take means they would have to be ridiculously overpaid to get rid of Ocho Cinco.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #88
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
No way that trade happens without it being multiple first round picks. The cap hit the Bengals would take means they would have to be ridiculously overpaid to get rid of Ocho Cinco.

8 million in dead money approx
Old 02-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #89
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

multiple #1's....lofl Maybe like a first and third max. 2008 Cap difference between trading him, and keeping him is only a difference of 2.5m. Bengals are a bunch of cheap bitches at the top of the organization, so it's possible they will pursue a standoff. They should have had balls and never re-did Chad's contract in the first place, that was a stupid move.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #90
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't think he's worth that much, but the organization shouldn't lose their most dangerous receiver and take an eight mil cap hit without a ridiculous offer.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #91
Butter
Coordinator

The Bengals are usually so far under the cap, what's another $8 million?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #92
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Let's see....

bengals franchise Andrews.
Zach Thomas gets offer from Patriots, still hasn't signed anywhere.

This should make Suburban Rhythmn smile

Quote:
From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

The Steelers signed backup defensive end Travis Kirschke to a two-year contract, the team announced today

Combine is this weekend, I'm pumped.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #93
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The Bengals are usually so far under the cap, what's another $8 million?

Have you seen their defense?
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #94
rjolley
College Starter

Bears news:

DE Alex Brown signs a 2-year extension

WR Muhsin Muhammad and OT Fred Miller were released.

DT Darwin Walker's option was declined, making him a free agent.

Also, all 3 Bears' LB's (Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher and Hunter Hillenmeyer) tallied 100+ tackles, first time that's happened, for the Bears, since 1986 (Mike Singletary, Wilber Marshall, and Otis Wilson).

Last edited by rjolley : 02-19-2008 at 12:43 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #95
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
Have you seen their defense?

No, they are rarely seen much on the field.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #96
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Let's see....

bengals franchise Andrews.
Zach Thomas gets offer from Patriots, still hasn't signed anywhere.

Obviously the Dolphins had more talent than I thought. Pats are also talking to Marty Booker.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #97
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Obviously the Dolphins had more talent than I thought. Pats are also talking to Marty Booker.

Welker worked out so well, why wouldn't they go back to the well?!?!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #98
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Well I see the WR position is once again loaded with talent. I guess the Vikings will have to go sign Moss. Very weak FA class IMO. Id love to see them bring in former gopher Ben Utecht as well.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #99
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Bears news:

DE Alex Brown signs a 2-year extension

WR Muhsin Muhammad and OT Fred Miller were released.

DT Darwin Walker's option was declined, making him a free agent.

Also, all 3 Bears' LB's (Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher and Hunter Hillenmeyer) tallied 100+ tackles, first time that's happened, for the Bears, since 1986 (Mike Singletary, Wilber Marshall, and Otis Wilson).

Seems like Jerry Angelo is trying to shake things up.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/footb...bear19.article

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-19-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #100
rjolley
College Starter

Glad they came to their senses and decided to try and resign Briggs. I was hoping they'd let Grossman go and worry about a RB and improving the OL. As '06 proved, a solid D + a solid running game = a trip to the superbowl.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote