Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #51
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
No, I'm not. I found the link last night and you are right, they retracted it - after pressure from Sony. I wouldn't put it past Sony to cover things up, and I'm sure you can see that possibility as well if you would look at it objectively. Also, you should have mentioned in your last post that Bioshock coming to the PS3 is still a rumor at best, as the link mentions.

Well, if Microsoft wasn't covering up their defect numbers, wouldn't they call for a retraction of the defect claims? No, they chose to sidestep the issue, although the announcement of an extention of warranty all but admits to the issue. You won't see that from Sony because it's simply not happening.

I linked the article to the information about Bioshock. I don't think I need to spell out that it's a rumor for you. You're a big kid. I never stated it was fact, even in the post.

As far as GOTY candidates, the 360 is a year further down the lifecycle. Having anything less than the majority of the GOTY candidates would be an embarrassment and show some signs of problems. They won't have the majority of the GOTY candidates next year.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #52
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Gamers aren't stupid.

I beg to differ. Look at sales numbers for top games over the past 5 or so years and you'll see 3-5 good games and the rest crap as well as many of the top rated games get low sales. Just remember kids, if you slap a sports logo on a game and it's not complete and utter crap, it'll sell!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #53
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He really does. He is giving way too much of the credit for the 360's record month to Halo 3. Sure it helped, but there are a ton of games which are about to come out which have also helped. Also, the 360 just had a price break. October is also when early Christmas shoppers usually start shopping. November is the heart of the shopping season. There is no real reason to think that 360 sales are going to plummet or even go down this upcoming month with great games coming out and more people doing Christmas shopping for their first next gen system.

I'm going to take the Sony half of this post out of the equation. But do you seriously think that Halo 3 isn't a huge factor for the sales last month? Not only that but Halo 3 coupled with a price cut. And why was there a price cut? Because MS wanted to hit the market hard with Halo 3- it makes a great one-two punch of business sense. Those two factors are responsible for a huge majority of sales this past month.

EDIT: After looking at the charts, I'll tone down some of that
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons...9089&end=39390

The numbers aren't quite as dramatic. We're still talking an extra 100K per week (basically, adding on 60-80% per week/month) but it didn't quite double sales. Still, that's a huge chunk and Halo 3 is directly responsible for it.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-10-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #54
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

Bill Gates = Izulde?

SI

Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and to go along with the 9.5 on Gamespot for Mario Galaxy, IGN gave it a 9.7. It's getting harder for me to not buy a Wii, particularly since the game I was waiting most on got great reviews (and SSBM is looking good as well but, of course, it's still not out yet)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-10-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:17 AM   #56
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm going to take the Sony half of this post out of the equation. But do you seriously think that Halo 3 isn't a huge factor for the sales last month? Not only that but Halo 3 coupled with a price cut. And why was there a price cut? Because MS wanted to hit the market hard with Halo 3- it makes a great one-two punch of business sense. Those two factors are responsible for a huge majority of sales this past month.

EDIT: After looking at the charts, I'll tone down some of that
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons...9089&end=39390

The numbers aren't quite as dramatic. We're still talking an extra 100K per week (basically, adding on 60-80% per week/month) but it didn't quite double sales. Still, that's a huge chunk and Halo 3 is directly responsible for it.

SI

I said that I think Halo is part of it. I also think Mass Effect, Bioshock getting incredible reviews, and holiday shopping are also factors. I wasn't denying Halo 3 is part of the boost, I just think he gives too much credit to just Halo 3 and that sales aren't going plummet this month.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-10-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #57
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
However, once again, I find myself getting into ridiculous arguments with you

Maybe you should see a shrink about this problem you have. You know, they do say the definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result.

Last edited by sabotai : 11-10-2007 at 11:55 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #58
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Maybe you should see a shrink about this problem you have. You know, they do say the definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #59
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Oh, and to go along with the 9.5 on Gamespot for Mario Galaxy, IGN gave it a 9.7. It's getting harder for me to not buy a Wii, particularly since the game I was waiting most on got great reviews (and SSBM is looking good as well but, of course, it's still not out yet)

SI

Second best game of all time (well, at least since Internet reviews became somewhat common) according to gamerankings.com (97.3%), and the best game in a decade, a mere .3% behind Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Only two more days until this gem is mine, the waiting is killing me.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #60
MJ4H
Coordinator

but it's not game of the year!
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #61
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Well of course not silly. Everyone knows that for a game to be fun it has to be in high-def and based around getting headshots.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #62
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Second best game of all time (well, at least since Internet reviews became somewhat common) according to gamerankings.com (97.3%), and the best game in a decade, a mere .3% behind Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Only two more days until this gem is mine, the waiting is killing me.

To be fair, lets wait until a few more reviews come in before we dub it one of the best ever.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-10-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #63
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

At this point we're talking about 14 reviews, hardly a paltry sum. I'll wait until I get to play Galaxy myself before I proclaim it to be one of the all-time greats but that doesn't change the fact that the gaming press certainly seems to feel that way.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #64
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I came across this article yesterday, showing how tame our modern-day system wars are compared to Nintendo v. Sega over a decade ago, it's a great read if like me you were a kid in the early to mid 90s and remember a few things like the Mortal Kombat blood controversy, "Sega does what Nintendon't," and how awesome Donkey Kong Country looked and sounded when it came out but would like to read something a little more in-depth.

Nintendo v. Sgea: The Console War - Part One

Nintendo v. Sega: The Console War - Part Two
Old 11-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
At this point we're talking about 14 reviews, hardly a paltry sum. I'll wait until I get to play Galaxy myself before I proclaim it to be one of the all-time greats but that doesn't change the fact that the gaming press certainly seems to feel that way.

I have cared less about the Wii until I watched the video review of this game on IGN today.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 11-10-2007 at 08:41 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #66
MJ4H
Coordinator

At about 3:45 into that video, my jaw hit the floor. It pretty much stayed there the rest of the video. I can't believe how amazing this game looks.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #67
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I should check out that video- I just read the reviews.

SI

Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #68
Daimyo
College Starter

Wow. I actually placed an order with Amazon for the game earlier tonight since I was ordering some other stuff anyway. After seeing that video, I wish I hadn't so I could pick it up first thing Monday morning!
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #69
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It looks like one of those games where 3 days could pass by and you wouldn't know it.

When some of you get it, start an impressions thread so I can drool.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #70
Kodos
Resident Alien

Talking

Why are we talking about last gen titles?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #71
MJ4H
Coordinator

die in a hotel fire
Old 11-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #72
Kodos
Resident Alien

See? Nintendo fans are the most defensive!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #73
Atocep
Coordinator

I predict this Wii fad will be ending any day now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #74
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I, too, predict this based on how awesome Mario Galaxy looked when I was watching some kids play it in Nebraska Furniture Mart today

SI

Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #75
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I, too, predict this based on how awesome Mario Galaxy looked when I was watching some kids play it in Nebraska Furniture Mart today

SI

Yeah, I've seen just about all I can take.

I think I'd like Power Pros and Metroid Prime.. what other games are "must buys" for the Wii?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #76
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'd check out the Wii games thread as I don't have one. But from the outside looking in, this is the first A+ title. Metroid is an A. Twilight Princess is an A if you didn't get it for Gamecube, same with Resident Evil 4. Power Pros is one of the many B titles out there- basically, if you like the genre of game, there's tons of stuff for you. Same with the Rayman games, Zack and Wiki, Super Paper Mario, Guitar Hero 3, Mario Strikers, Batallion Wars, Monkey Ball, Excite Truck, etc. I think Wii Play is a good purchase because you get a second nunchuck and pay $10 for a bunch of mini games, about half of which are fun.

Also, Smash Bros, which looks great, is coming out in February, and Mario Kart is due for the first half of next year, but I bet it will be pushed back to something like August. Also, a lot of fun B stuff like Soulcalibur and Puzzle quest are coming out soon, too.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-11-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #77
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thank you SI!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #78
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd check out the Wii games thread as I don't have one. But from the outside looking in, this is the first A+ title. Metroid is an A. Twilight Princess is an A if you didn't get it for Gamecube, same with Resident Evil 4. Power Pros is one of the many B titles out there- basically, if you like the genre of game, there's tons of stuff for you. Same with the Rayman games, Zack and Wiki, Super Paper Mario, Guitar Hero 3, Mario Strikers, Batallion Wars, Monkey Ball, Excite Truck, etc. I think Wii Play is a good purchase because you get a second nunchuck and pay $10 for a bunch of mini games, about half of which are fun.

Also, Smash Bros, which looks great, is coming out in February, and Mario Kart is due for the first half of next year, but I bet it will be pushed back to something like August. Also, a lot of fun B stuff like Soulcalibur and Puzzle quest are coming out soon, too.

SI

SI pretty much sums up the good games. The Virtual Console also has some great games on it. Mario 3, Super Mario World, and Mario 64 are great, Punch Out! is on there and Super Punch Out! is due out in a couple months. My son is 5 and absolutely loves the Wii. Its a great introduction to video games for kids because it plays the Wii games, Gamecube games, and also has the library of VC games.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:03 AM   #79
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Given that several online retailers sold out of their initial stock of 40 GB PS3's, it's likely that we'll see a pretty good spike for the PS3.

The original Xbox came out in Japan, and was a hot seller on "online retailers" reaching top spots on Amazons Japanese website, and others. I can distinctly remember Xbox zealots screaming this in the face of all common sense, and reason when people said Xbox wouldn't sell at all in Japan.

Just like original Xbox fans in Japan, you're really reaching for any, and all signs of life. I think that should tell you something.

-- Steve --
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #80
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Mario Kart is due for the first half of next year, but I bet it will be pushed back to something like August.
SI

BITE YOUR TONGUE
Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 AM   #81
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Wii is the best console for ages 6 to 12. I won't argue that point.

I mean all their A++ titles are cartoon characters or humans with big heads and little bodies. Even their best sports game is that gay ass Japan style art. Any cross platform game is always better on the 360 vs the Wii.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 11-12-2007 at 08:11 AM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #82
MJ4H
Coordinator

Cartoon characters does not equal kid's game. Your last statement is also untrue.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #83
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Cartoon characters does not equal kid's game. Your last statement is also untrue.

Name one cross platform game better on Wii?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #84
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'll take a Ratchet & Clank game over a Mario game any day of the week. I've never understood the popularity of the Mario series.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #85
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post

MLB Power Pros isn't even available on the 360 or PS3. They have big heads, but the game is very good.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #86
Kodos
Resident Alien

Isn't it on the PS2? Which means it is also on the PS3.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #87
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'll take a Ratchet & Clank game over a Mario game any day of the week. I've never understood the popularity of the Mario series.

Because you're an alien. I've never understood the popularity of the Halo series either. There are better single player FPS out there, and there are better multiplayer FPS out there. At least ones that I get more enjoyment out of.

And if you've played the old Mario platformers and still don't see the appeal... I'm never taking your video game opinion seriously. No, this isn't one of those "holier than thou" posts. I just love the old platformers and if we disagree on those, we'd most likely disagree on a lot of other games.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #88
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Isn't it on the PS2? Which means it is also on the PS3.

Not the new 40GB model.

Yeah, I forgot about the BC. But it's not on the 360 then haha.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #89
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
MLB Power Pros isn't even available on the 360 or PS3. They have big heads, but the game is very good.

That is the best sports game on the wii. How sad is that?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #90
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

What's the best sports game on the 360 or the PS3? I'd argue that MLB Power Pros is the best baseball game out there for any system. it's just so fun to play., and gives pretty realistic stats.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #91
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

If graphics are one of your benchmarks for how fun a game is then you will pretty much find fault with everything that Wii has out compared to the PS3 and Xbox. It is just apples and oranges.

For me, graphics don't make a game fun, it's the gameplay. It is what allows me to still play Sea Battle and Dreadnaught Factor on my Intellivision and revisit X-Com on the PC every so often.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #92
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
If graphics are one of your benchmarks for how fun a game is then you will pretty much find fault with everything that Wii has out compared to the PS3 and Xbox. It is just apples and oranges.

For me, graphics don't make a game fun, it's the gameplay. It is what allows me to still play Sea Battle and Dreadnaught Factor on my Intellivision and revisit X-Com on the PC every so often.

Told you folks Sea Battle was the true classic from IntelliVision back in my Dynasty. That is a game that stood the test of time.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #93
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Madden 07
Old 11-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #94
TroyF
Coordinator

Just some quick notes from the thread:

1) I'm having a blast with Ratchet and Clank. This is a beautiful game.
2) Looking forward to SMG. Looks like an incredible title.
3) Power Pros is the best baseball game on any system.
4) SMG, Assassins Creed and Mass Effect will all have to do something amazing for me to drop Bioshock from the top spot. That's not to say it can't happen, but I really loved Bioshock.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #95
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 looks way better than any sports game on any platform. Revolutionary control system that is simply not possible on any of the other systems. Hopefully it will be as good as the preview video looks.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #96
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Wii is the best console for ages 6 to 12. I won't argue that point.

I mean all their A++ titles are cartoon characters or humans with big heads and little bodies. Even their best sports game is that gay ass Japan style art. Any cross platform game is always better on the 360 vs the Wii.

So much failure in this post
Troll harder next time kthx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
3) Power Pros is the best baseball game on any system.
4) SMG, Assassins Creed and Mass Effect will all have to do something amazing for me to drop Bioshock from the top spot. That's not to say it can't happen, but I really loved Bioshock.

3) Agreed.
4) It's just one man's opinion but I felt Bioshock was somewhat overrated. The story was pretty awesome, the graphics were great, and the plasmids and Big Daddies were pretty cool. After that the gameplay still boiled down to find the keys, kill anything that moves. It's a good game don't get me wrong just not as mindblowingly awesome as many say. I actually prefer Metroid Prime 3 but then again it's far from my favorite genre anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Because you're an alien. I've never understood the popularity of the Halo series either. There are better single player FPS out there, and there are better multiplayer FPS out there. At least ones that I get more enjoyment out of.

And if you've played the old Mario platformers and still don't see the appeal... I'm never taking your video game opinion seriously. No, this isn't one of those "holier than thou" posts. I just love the old platformers and if we disagree on those, we'd most likely disagree on a lot of other games.

Well said. Super Mario World is still one of the best games I've ever played. If I don't find Galaxy today I'll probably download Mario 3 off the Virtual Console and reminisce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 looks way better than any sports game on any platform. Revolutionary control system that is simply not possible on any of the other systems. Hopefully it will be as good as the preview video looks.

From reading other people's impressions PES2008 has it's fair share of bugs and has big problems with online lag so it might not even be hard to outdo the 360/PS3 version. The Wii version looks like it could be anywhere from revolutionary awesomeness to broken and gimmicky so I'll have to wait and see on that. I'm hopeful though.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #97
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post

The control system on the Wii is bad. At least for me it is. I don't want to move around a wand, or shake my hand. I don't want to swing my arm.

I want to press up and down on thumbsticks and press my 8 buttons with my fingers.

I tried playing Lengend of Zelda on my Wii and I hated the damn controls. I would of rather just used button combos. I loved the game, but again the controls annoyed me.

If I wanted to really bowl, or play baseball or play golf. I would get off my ass and go bowling, golfing or hit balls at a batting cage.

Super Paper Mario, great game my kid loved it. I did to, but we both hated, using the damn wand on the screen to search for hidden things.

Madden 07 on the Wii was not good, but again I don't like the controls. I don't think the graphics were as good either.

I'm not here to bash your inner child and your little minds. I'm just here to point out that kids like Wii (troll line)

The best interface around is still the mouse and keyboard for FPS or RTS. I don't want them to change it, but they keep trying.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 11-12-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #98
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I haven't been able to grasp button combos in years. In my day we had one red button. And we liked it!

Maybe two buttons. Anything else is an abomination and should be outlawed.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #99
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
The Wii version looks like it could be anywhere from revolutionary awesomeness to broken and gimmicky so I'll have to wait and see on that. I'm hopeful though.

It could definitely go either way, but I am thrilled they are trying this.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #100
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm a graphics whore, that being said I'm starting to look for games that are "fun" while not driving me nuts with sliders and tweak this and that crap. I'm sick of it.

Yes, the days are gone where we could pop in Tecmo bowl and just have some fun, albeit unrealistic.. but fun nonetheless.

I'm yearning to get back to those days and I'm tired of console sports games.. which brings me to games like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, and others that look to be quite fun while allowing my kids to hop on and play as well. The Xbox 360 has always been about me, although my 11 year old loves Viva Pinata - but I want the whole family to get envolved and the Wii is becoming something I think we'd all like - dispite my thoughts of it too "kiddie" up to this point.

I credit Super Mario Galaxy (at least the reivews and videos of the game) for making me wonder if the Wii is the right fit or at least the option of a 2nd console. Not to mention, I can play Guitar Hero 3 and I see stuff like a wireless gun coming out for it.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 11-12-2007 at 12:39 PM.