Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #51
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I know the Nuggets are on the 2nd game in two nights, but the Celtics were just clowning them, 77-39 at the half!

The Celtics defense has been astronomically improved so far this season against 3 good to very good offenses (Wash, Toronto, and Denver). Just the first 3 games have been a huge payoff for sitting through 2-3 seasons of player development.

Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In sports ... Hawks beat Suns 105-96.

In other news ... Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.

Tomorrow's weather ... Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Elton Brand who?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 AM   #54
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Heat finally got their first win of the year. I have no idea why Pat Riley keeps draft picks and/or keeps players with less than 6 years experience on his team. With few exceptions (Wade, Haslem), he refuses to get the young guys any time on the floor. I don't know if Dorell Wright is any good or not but there is no reason for him to just get 6 minutes of PT while Penny Hardaway is getting 36 mins in a game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #55
Groundhog
Coordinator

For whatever bloody reason the programmers behind our ESPN and Fox sports channels still think it's 2 years ago and decided to put way too many Heat games on the Aussie cable sports channels, so I've seen 4 Heat games already this year, few of which have been worth watching. The biggest surprise has been the play of Penny, who looks really, really good out there. I was shocked that the Heat not only brought him to camp but gave him a contract, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I've said it before, but imagine Shaq, Zo, and Penny on the same team 10 years ago.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #56
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
For whatever bloody reason the programmers behind our ESPN and Fox sports channels still think it's 2 years ago and decided to put way too many Heat games on the Aussie cable sports channels, so I've seen 4 Heat games already this year, few of which have been worth watching. The biggest surprise has been the play of Penny, who looks really, really good out there. I was shocked that the Heat not only brought him to camp but gave him a contract, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I've said it before, but imagine Shaq, Zo, and Penny on the same team 10 years ago.

they put "names" on tv, they dont care about how the teams are doing
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #57
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
they put "names" on tv, they dont care about how the teams are doing

Put the Celtics on...best of both worlds.

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 11-13-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #58
miami_fan
Coordinator

So who wants Starbury?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Quote:
PHOENIX (AP) -- Stephon Marbury missed the New York Knicks shootaround Tuesday, and coach Isiah Thomas said he was uncertain whether the guard would show up for Tuesday night's game against the Phoenix Suns.

"That is an in-house matter, and we'll continue to keep it in-house," Thomas said when asked why Marbury went missing. "However, he is welcome back, and we want him as a member of this team."

The New York Daily News quoted an unidentified team source as saying Marbury was upset when he learned he would not be in the starting lineup.

Marbury's absence followed a story in Tuesday's Daily News indicating the Knicks were trying to reduce his role or get rid of him. A trade seems unlikely, because Marbury is scheduled to earn $42 million over the next two seasons.

"We hope to see him tonight," Thomas said. "However, if he is not, make no mistake about it, we do want him as a member of this basketball team."

Thomas said this was not the first time this kind of incident has happened.

"It seems like he and I go through this every November, then a couple of weeks go by and we kind of kiss and make up, then we go back to the business of trying to win basketball games," he said

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #59
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Why in gods name is Isiah Thomas still employed?
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #60
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Large contract.

Good game tonight.. Celtics/Pacers.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #61
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #62
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Large contract.

Good game tonight.. Celtics/Pacers.

Good game for a Celtics spanking, probably as you know Diogu is out 4-6 weeks they have no depth.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #63
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, I'll be shocked if the Celtics don't stomp them. Having said that, the Celtics can't exactly go 82-0. I'm looking forward to some solid Celtics vs Spurs/Mavs/Suns games.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 PM   #64
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Celts move to 6-0 with a 15 point win over the Pacers, 101-86.

They're even getting a bit of swagger, this is from the ESPN report:

Indiana guard Jamaal Tinsley fouled Pierce hard on a drive to the basket with the game tied at 38 late in the second quarter. Pierce quickly turned toward Tinsley, but kept his cool.

Suddenly awakened, Pierce even did push-ups between free throws to taunt the crowd. Moments later, after Pierce went baseline for a thunderous dunk, a Celtics player on the bench shouted, "Oops, you got him mad! Uh-oh!"

Pierce scored 13 points in the final 3:06 of the first half to give the Celtics a 52-43 lead.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #65
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I saw some of this game and while the Cs looked good at times, I didn't like how their offense was so stagnant during most of the third quarter. They seemed to be almost exclusively relying on one on one matchups in the half court set.

The defense, though, was spectacular. Indiana couldn't get anything going at all and the lane was a complete no passing zone.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #66
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Celts move to 6-0 with a 15 point win over the Pacers, 101-86.

They're even getting a bit of swagger, this is from the ESPN report:

Indiana guard Jamaal Tinsley fouled Pierce hard on a drive to the basket with the game tied at 38 late in the second quarter. Pierce quickly turned toward Tinsley, but kept his cool.

Suddenly awakened, Pierce even did push-ups between free throws to taunt the crowd. Moments later, after Pierce went baseline for a thunderous dunk, a Celtics player on the bench shouted, "Oops, you got him mad! Uh-oh!"

Pierce scored 13 points in the final 3:06 of the first half to give the Celtics a 52-43 lead.

Love it. Ainge is a dope for 5 years, makes 2 trades, and suddenly has the best Celtics team since the Bird era.

Last edited by molson : 11-13-2007 at 10:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #67
JeeberD
General Manager

Ugh...Memphis?!?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #68
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Ugh...Memphis?!?

thats the kind of team the Rockets always loose to. im suprised they didnt blow it in Charlotte the other day
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #69
Groundhog
Coordinator

Cavs finally get a home game, and then allow the Magic to score 11 points in just 1 and a half minutes to open the game.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:16 PM   #70
Groundhog
Coordinator

Cheik Samb with a nasty block on Bynum, but the Lakers continue to play themselves a good game of basketball so far.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #71
Groundhog
Coordinator

Holy crap, Cheikh Samb is playing some amazing basketball right now for the Pistons. Another HUGE block, and he even hit a mid-ranger.

Last edited by Groundhog : 11-16-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #72
rjolley
College Starter

Ok, I had to look up who in the world Cheick Samb is. Never heard the name before.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #73
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(me neither)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #74
Groundhog
Coordinator

I watched him play a couple of summer league games and he was impressive in short bursts albeit still rough around the edges, but he certainly looks like a baller tonight. I don't know if it's a fluke or if he's just improved VERY quickly since pre-season, but looks like the Pistons have yet another promising young bigman buried on their bench.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:55 PM   #75
Groundhog
Coordinator

lol... Lamar Odom throws the ball at an official, it bounces off him straight to Vlad who hits the jumper for the first ref assist I think I've ever seen.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:04 AM   #76
Groundhog
Coordinator

Good 4th Q for the Lakers to pull out the win.

This was one of those games for Kobe where for 3 quarters you are thinking "Why the hell are you throwing up that shot with 18 seconds left on the shot clock?", and then you realise why that is in the 4th Q; because he expects to make every shot he takes. Say what you want about him (and I certainly do at times), but tonight was just another example of why there are few deadlier players with the ball in their hands.

Great game from Odom, Farmar and Bynum, too.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #77
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well, it was bound to happen. Celtics are getting smoked at the half by the Magic, down 58-41.

Maybe these Magic are for real?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #78
Groundhog
Coordinator

Celtics fighting back after a solid 3rd Q. Big steal and dunk by Tony Allen and it's 81-85 Orlando with 9:30 remaining.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #79
Groundhog
Coordinator

Magic up by 1 with 7.2 seconds left, Rashard Lewis misses the first FT.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #80
Groundhog
Coordinator

Hits the 2nd. Lets see if Ray Allen, who has hit 2 massive threes down the stretch, can do it again.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #81
Groundhog
Coordinator

Nope. 104-102 Magic, for the Celtics' first loss.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #82
Groundhog
Coordinator

Lakers trade Brian Cook and Maurice Evans to the Magic for Trevor Ariza. With Vlad and Cook essentially the same player they reduced redundancy there, but I don't know about Ariza. He's a good defender and can jump out of the gym (and has always been a guy I pick up in the NBA 2K games), but I think I'd rather have Maurice Evans than Ariza.

Good trade for the Magic, as Evans may very well start over Bogans at SG and Cook gives them a guy who can log 10-15 decent minutes a game off the bench. Bit of a head scratcher for the Lakers.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #83
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Lakers trade Brian Cook and Maurice Evans to the Magic for Trevor Ariza. With Vlad and Cook essentially the same player they reduced redundancy there, but I don't know about Ariza. He's a good defender and can jump out of the gym (and has always been a guy I pick up in the NBA 2K games), but I think I'd rather have Maurice Evans than Ariza.

Good trade for the Magic, as Evans may very well start over Bogans at SG and Cook gives them a guy who can log 10-15 decent minutes a game off the bench. Bit of a head scratcher for the Lakers.

This was a move to get rid of Cook. He has been bitching for a couple years now about his PT, and never mind when he's told to improve his D and he will play more. He's still an awful defender. He can average 20 ppg with regular time and his team would still be down 5-10 points for having him in there.

I am pretty sure it was a chemistry thing, and the chance to add another decent young player who actually is willing to defend.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #84
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Man, I wish ESPN/TNT would put the Magic on TV once in a while, I don't watch enough hoops to justify League Pass but would still like to watch them a few times per year.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #85
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good trade for the Lakers IMO. Lakers are missing a true wing on their squad and besides Kobe, they don't have someone who runs the floor as good as Ariza can. Chief said it right through, Vlad Rad is a better version of Cook and Cook has been a head case. Lakers do lose anything close to a true SG not name Kobe but now Crittenden can actually get on the floor. Plus he's a Bruin
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #86
Ironhead
College Prospect

Anybody think this Lebron James kid will ever reach his potential? Starting to think he might be an overhyped bust.

(another triple double today)
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:34 PM   #87
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Anybody think this Lebron James kid will ever reach his potential? Starting to think he might be an overhyped bust.

He's no David Eckstein.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #88
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nice Finish by the Celtics, Ray Allen hitting a three at the buzzer to beat the Bobcats by 1.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #89
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

I can't wait until he gets snubbed in the MVP voting again. The Cavs would win 15 games a season without him.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #90
Groundhog
Coordinator

In a display of defensive prowess that would make any coach cringe, the score at the end of the first quarter of the Sun and the Warriors is 45-37, Warriors up.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:13 AM   #91
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Varajao negotiations looking good in preseason.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #92
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Uh... the Bucks are leading their division. Yeah, the one with Detroit, Indiana, Cleveland, and Chicago.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #93
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Good game between the Cavs and Celts goin on right now.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #94
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to the next Cavs/Celts game sometime in February. Hopefully the celtics get beat single handedly again.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #95
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm going to the next Cavs/Celts game sometime in February. Hopefully the celtics get beat single handedly again.

Well, that's the only way it will happen.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:12 AM   #96
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Wow. You know the Celts were in trouble when the leading rebounder for the game was their 6'1" PG.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #97
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Varajao negotiations looking good in preseason.

I know you want him back on the floor but do you really want him at $8-10 mil a year?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #98
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I know you want him back on the floor but do you really want him at $8-10 mil a year?

Nah, it just sucks that it's come down to this.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #99
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think the thing that pisses me off the most about the situation is the timing of the latest comments. It's way to much of a coincidence for Fegan to have Andy speak out right in the middle of a Celtics/Pistons/Celtics stretch. Fegan seems much more focused in trying to distract the remaining members of the team than in working out a reasonable market value contract for his client. In 3 years Andy has basically made the league minimum, so he really has a lot to lose by this stalemate. The money Ferry supposedly offered is more than in line with his production(up to 40mil/5 years) and would easily provide lifetime security for his family.

But simply put Fegan is an asshole, and I hope he emerges with egg on his face. Andy's probably been my favorite player in a long time, and this whole situation sucks. I admire the way the guy battles for everything. Yeah, the flops are annoying, but he does a lot more than just that. He could conceivably fire Fegan, sign a deal and I think the fans would get over it. But now that his older brother is firmly on the Fegan payroll as some sort of a scout/evaluator, it just seems less and less likely. I guess it's sign and trade or bust now.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #100
Groundhog
Coordinator

I have no doubt it's all on Fegan either.

I tell you what though, Gooden has really impressed me lately, and so has Z. If the Cavs want to win, especially with the bench depth they have now (ie. none), these two need to step up to the plate like they did yesterday pretty much every night.