Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #51
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
The only people who care about how Freddy plays in the MLS are Americans.

well it is the league we watch and kinda call our own. forgive us for wondering if he will show up

bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:52 PM   #52
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
why is it they go apeshit over Brazilian touches that go nowhere

British commentators are also bad for this.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #53
GoDukes
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
He could not be signed by a big club until he was 18. He turned 18 in early June.

He went on Trial @ ManU months ago. Don't you think if a team was truly interested he would've been picked up, or there would be rumors floating?

I am an Adu supporter, and I don't subscribe to the theory that because he isn't tearing up the MLS he isn't good, but it's worrisome that teams aren't on him, IMO. He needs to get to Europe NOW. The MLS is WEAK.
GoDukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #54
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDukes View Post
He went on Trial @ ManU months ago. Don't you think if a team was truly interested he would've been picked up, or there would be rumors floating?

I am an Adu supporter, and I don't subscribe to the theory that because he isn't tearing up the MLS he isn't good, but it's worrisome that teams aren't on him, IMO. He needs to get to Europe NOW. The MLS is WEAK.

well he cant just go, hes under contract with the MLS. and they are iron fisted when it comes to keeping thier "stars" in the MLS. i bet he will have to wait until his contract runs out before he can leave
Old 07-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #55
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDukes View Post

Alex Ferguson has been watching him since the trial in December. Do you really think Man U or anyone would say, "you know, he turns 18 in 6 months, but we really don't feel like waiting an extra month to see how he does against other great 18-20 year olds... lets just sign him the day he turns 18".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...td/6199938.stm
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #56
Ironhead
College Prospect

For anyone that wanted to watch some highlights of the game:

The move from Adu starts at around the 6:45 mark.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #57
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
if adu can play like that just once in the MLS you might be right

He can't play like that in the MLS. I haven't seen one team in that league that plays the attacking and direct style of play that he obviously thrives in.

Team Adu up with Altidore in MLS and the same thing would happen.

He will also look like crap if he's put on the senior national team right now if they're going to keep playing the same style.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #58
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
well he cant just go, hes under contract with the MLS. and they are iron fisted when it comes to keeping thier "stars" in the MLS. i bet he will have to wait until his contract runs out before he can leave

I believe his contract runs through the end of the 2008 season, but I think he would maybe be available for sale after this season. They (Real Salt Lake) can either sell him for whatever they can get, or they can let him play one more year knowing he will walk and bring nothing back to the team. It would make sense to sell him, even at discounted value I think.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #59
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

MLS owns Adu's contract, not Real Salt Lake. I am guessing if MLS is offered $12-13 million by a big club then they will sell him. Beckham is the face of MLS now.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #60
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
MLS owns Adu's contract, not Real Salt Lake. I am guessing if MLS is offered $12-13 million by a big club then they will sell him. Beckham is the face of MLS now.

That's technically true, but RSL keeps the money if he's sold, this is big recent change. So the league is likely to side with what the team wants to do a lot more than in the past, especially when you're looking at taking what you can get or getting nothing at all.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #61
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
That's technically true, but RSL keeps the money if he's sold, this is big recent change. So the league is likely to side with what the team wants to do a lot more than in the past, especially when you're looking at taking what you can get or getting nothing at all.

I thought the rule stated that if it was a home-grown player, the club would keep the money.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #62
moriarty
College Starter

Adu should set his sights on a Spanish club and not Chelsea/ManU or some premier league club where he will be muscled off the ball / tackled hard constantly.

I also think he should lower his expectations and look for a mid table club where he can get some playing time.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #63
Desnudo
Coordinator

I don't think a major club will pass up the opportunity. He obviously has some potential, plus the Nike marketing machine working for him.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #64
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Can some of you guys who watch soccer more than I do explain how the Brazilian didn't get his second yellow card when he tripped Adu at the edge of the box?
The only remotely valid justification for it that I've seen is that the ref felt like the first caution was a mistake, so he was in effect downgrading that one by not cautioning on this play. Otherwise, it's a clear error as it was absolutely worth a caution for a technical foul.

Quote:
And yeah, I'm amazed that they continued to show the shot/cross that led to the second goal, but they didn't show making two Brazilians in a corner look idiotic. That was an amazing play and we continually got to see only the end of it.
Whoever was in the truck for FIFA for this game really dropped the ball on the replays of the play. All of the replays picked up after Adu had already beaten the Brazilians, which was the most interesting part of the sequence. (Blame FIFA, not ESPN, as ESPN is just picking up FIFA's feed, as you can tell by the occasion overlaid graphics and the single announcer -- and aside from the Brazil game, they haven't even had a graphic showing the time and the score, that was a special addition for the ESPN broadcast.)

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 07-11-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #65
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

whens the next US game?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #66
MJ4H
Coordinator

Tonight against Uruguay I believe. 7:45 "local time" but I didn't catch what time zone that was in. Check your local listings I guess.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote