Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #51
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I was going to make a bigger post, but CU Tiger has summed it up for me.

Having said that, I don't tend to think that any piece of beef is worth (raw, unprepared) $10/oz, in the same way that I don't think, objectively, that any bottle of wine is really worth $1000+.

But there are clearly differences in beef raised, slaughtered and/or aged in different ways. Some of this beef is worth more than others. Some of it is certainly overmarketed and overpriced. But there is absolutely a difference in the various types of beef you can buy that merits variances in price.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #52
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Karl, no matter your assinine insults my point remains perfectly valid. There is not enough difference in BEEF from any cow to the next to validate that type of cost gouging. They're marketing to the idiot masses who aren't bright enough to realize Beef is beef and spending a large chunk of your paycheck on a single meal doesn't mean it tastes any better or makes you any more spe-eh-cial.

If you are in that group, thats not MY problem =)

I used to agree. Then I went to L.A. and had a Kobe-beef, applewood-bacon cheeseburger at some restaurant i've never even heard of (so it wasn't like a 5-star place) and it was like an orgasm in my mouth. it was frigging amazing. no ketchup, no mustard, no nothing. just beef, bacon, cheese and the bun, and it was like i died and went to heaven.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #53
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
an orgasm in my mouth

I'm just going to quote this out of context because it makes me giggle.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #54
Philliesfan980
Banned

While I agree with most of you that from a marginal viewpoint example, Kobe beef isn't worth the price, I will say that there is a good amount of difference between "Prime, Choice, and Select"

Everyone once in a while Sam's or another big place will have a sale on Prime Ribeyes for about $10.50 a pound. If you can afford it, from a marginal perspective Prime is worth it. There's a big difference between Prime and Select (which is what most Grocery stores sell in their unmarked packages)

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 06-16-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #55
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

What I'm wondering is "Has anyone here had it, and how does it taste?"

I wonder if the hot dogs, or the ground beef are good. Those are only about twice as expensive as higher end grocery store products.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #56
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks for the tips guys (before the thread trailed off a bit into an expensive steak argument ). I'll try this out tomorrow if it doesn't rain. A few quick questions:

-So I should probably get a thermometer since I'm a newbie?

-If I spray Pam or whatever on the grill, do I need to put extra virgin olive oil on the steaks?

-I should sear until the internal temp is 5 degrees from what I want... or should I sear for 2-3 minutes and then switch it to a lower heat until the internal temp is 5 degrees from what I want?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #57
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Thanks for the tips guys (before the thread trailed off a bit into an expensive steak argument ). I'll try this out tomorrow if it doesn't rain. A few quick questions:

-If I spray Pam or whatever on the grill, do I need to put extra virgin olive oil on the steaks?

-I should sear until the internal temp is 5 degrees from what I want... or should I sear for 2-3 minutes and then switch it to a lower heat until the internal temp is 5 degrees from what I want?

A thermometer is never a bad idea. I'd get one you can use in your oven, too. But it's not essential.

You definitely should spray the grill but yes still put the EVOO on the steaks if that was what you were going to do.

Sear for 2-3 minutes (per side?) and then lower the temperature.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #58
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:

I'd pass on the Pam. Oil the grate instead with a crumpled up paper towel with olive or canola oil. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I prefer to oil the grill rather than oiling the meat. Depending on the cut of steak you have, you have plenty of fat already in the steak.

Also, I'd pass on the thermometer. Much like the resting principal, anytime you poke into a steak in the cooking process is a bad thing. Just use the "touch" test, and you should be good to go.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #59
Schmidty
Coordinator

Having ribeyes on the grill tonight!!

By the way, there's no way in the world I would rub a really marbled piece of meat like a ribeye with oil. That makes it way to fatty and slimy. Just some non-stick spray on the grill, if anything at all. Turns out great every time, even with a rub.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #60
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
I should sear until the internal temp is 5 degrees from what I want... or should I sear for 2-3 minutes and then switch it to a lower heat until the internal temp is 5 degrees from what I want?
I'm pretty good on the grill and the way that I cook steaks is to get the grill up to 450-500 degrees. On my gas grill that's about 15 or so minutes on high. Make sure that your steaks are at room temp, about 30 minutes out of the fridge. The grates will be (should be) very hot so when the steaks hit those grates the meat should sear thus helping to hold the juices in.

My rule of thumb is that the more rare you like your steak the higher the temp. As I like my steaks somewhere between med. rare and medium I cook them on med. high which makes the internal temp of the grill around 400.

I agree with Philliesfan -- oil the grates and use the touch test for doneness. And if you don't get it right the first time, just keep practicing.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #61
Schmidty
Coordinator

You gas grill people are such pansies.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #62
weegeebored
High School Varsity

hehe. Maybe. But I'll put up some of my gas-grilled food up against you charcoal purists. It's the smoke that creates the flavor, not the charcoal. Plus, I know a trick or two.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #63
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
hehe. Maybe. But I'll put up some of my gas-grilled food up against you charcoal purists. It's the smoke that creates the flavor, not the charcoal. Plus, I know a trick or two.

I'd destroy you.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #64
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
hehe, I know a trick or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I'd destroy you.

Make sure to use protection, guys.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #65
Philliesfan980
Banned

Thanks guys, looks like it's steak again tomorrow night
Old 06-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #66
MikeVic
Head Coach

What's the touch test?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #67
MikeVic
Head Coach

Also...

-I bought a thermometer to try it out for my first time. However, I couldn't find an "instant read" one... looks like a regular thermometer. Should I even bother using it?

-When you pre-heat the grill for 10-15 minutes or so, do you leave the lid for the grill on?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #68
Klinglerware
College Starter

If you have a gas grill, keep the lid closed when you preheat.

I'm not a big fan of thermometers. You will get the hang of figuring out when the steaks are done by grilling regularly. I would start by following a recommended cooking time for the cut and thickness of the steak (perhaps playing it safe by shaving a minute or two off the recommended cooking time if you are nervous about overcooking). See how your steaks come out by following the directions. If they're too rare, consider throwing them back on the grill for a a couple more minutes (but I would do this only if they're really rare--you will discover that the resting process can often turn a steak that starts off borderline medium rare into a medium). If they're too well done, oh well, live and learn. Make a mental note of how much time you should add or shave off, for the next time you grill...

Again, remember that a lot of factors can impact cooking time, like the thickness of a cut, or the ability of your grill to retain heat. So, you may have to add or subtract to the grilling time to compensate.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 06-17-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #69
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Close the lid for preheating.

Oh on the quality of different steaks bit.

Kobe is much better than "regular" beef. I still have trouble justifying the cost.

My old favorite local family friendly steak house used to insanely popular. The prices were reasonable, and for those relatively lower prices, the steaks were comparable with the high end steak houses in town. Then suddenly two visits in a row, I get really sub-standard steaks. I always ordered the Rib-Eye or NY strip so I knew what to expect. Instead of a great steak, I got gristle and an entirely unpleasant experience. When relating this to a friend, I learned that the restaurant had changed hands. It was now owned by Hometown Buffet. I haven't been back for steak. They changed the quality of their product, and people can tell. I know, because it used to be a two hour wait, now the Immediate seating sign never goes out.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #70
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
What's the touch test?
http://elise.com/recipes/archives/00...ss_of_meat.php
Old 06-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #71
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I used to agree. Then I went to L.A. and had a Kobe-beef, applewood-bacon cheeseburger at some restaurant i've never even heard of (so it wasn't like a 5-star place) and it was like an orgasm in my mouth. it was frigging amazing. no ketchup, no mustard, no nothing. just beef, bacon, cheese and the bun, and it was like i died and went to heaven.

ANd I'm not arguing that this can't happen, what I am saying is that 10 bucks an OUNCE is just plain stupid and people ought to be able to realize they're being ass-raped when they pay such prices for something they could get for a small fortunre less than that.

Food experience is 10% product, 10% seasoning and 80% preparation. A top end chef can take Spam and make you think its prime rib (total exxageration, please don't get all up in that).

I rarely put condiments on my burgers when I order a good one at a restaraunt. If its worth buying a burger out then it better taste great without them, IMO =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #72
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Food experience is 10% product, 10% seasoning and 80% preparation. A top end chef can take Spam and make you think its prime rib (total exxageration, please don't get all up in that).

This 10% product rule is absolutely not true with steak. You can ruin a great steak with poor preparation, but perfect preparation will not a make a bad steak good.

In fact, I, (and most of the chefs in the world) would disagree with great food being 10% product. They will all tell you that great food starts with good ingredients. Most of the time, this is simple (i.e. everything fresh) but in the case of steak, where perfect preparation is following a few simple rules, its pretty much up to the cow.

Last edited by Samdari : 06-18-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #73
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, bought a strip loin... followed the instructions I received... ended up searing for 2 minutes and then doing 4 minutes total on each side after that. The steak came out awesome! It was a medioum well, which I like. I like to see pink, but not a lot. So this turned out way better than I thought. Thanks so much for the help!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #74
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok, bought a strip loin... followed the instructions I received... ended up searing for 2 minutes and then doing 4 minutes total on each side after that. The steak came out awesome! It was a medioum well, which I like. I like to see pink, but not a lot. So this turned out way better than I thought. Thanks so much for the help!

Even though medium-well is not exactly most steak connoisseurs preference, it's great that you liked it!!

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-18-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #75
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Even though medium-well is not exactly most steak connoisseurs preference, it's great that you liked it!!

Yeah I know, people usually like more red. I CAN eat a medium, but I'd prefer just a bit of pink. It's the best taste for myself.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 AM   #76
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
The key to good steaks are make sure they properly grilled AND simplicity when it comes to dressing them up. I concur with the following instructions.

Beef Recipes - Steak Recipes - Roast Recipes - Lobel's of New York

Grilling – Outdoor
  1. Steaks should always be at room temperature before they are cooked. Remove your steaks from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
  2. Preheat grill to maximum temperature.
  3. Rub both sides of the steaks with coarse kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
  4. Place the steaks 3 to 5 inches from the flame to sear the outside and seal in the juices.
  5. Sear the steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
  6. After the steaks have been seared on both sides, remove from heat, and brush both sides with extra virgin olive oil. This will help form the crust that adds the touch of perfection.
  7. Return the steaks to heat and cook on both sides to a desired doneness using the timing suggestions in the chart below. If using a gas grill, reduce the heat to moderately hot to hot. Or, use indirect cooking for gas, charcoal, or wood-fired grills and move the steaks to the warm side of the grill.
  8. Transfer the steaks to dinner plates or a platter and let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Desired Doneness Approximate Cooking Time
Rare (120-130°F) 2 minutes each side
Medium Rare (130-140°F) 3 minutes each side
Medium (140-150°F) 4 minutes each side
Medium Well (150-160°F) 5 minutes each side

I did this yesterday... turned out very good. Thanks
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #77
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah I know, people usually like more red. I CAN eat a medium, but I'd prefer just a bit of pink. It's the best taste for myself.

I don't think there's supposed to be any pink in a medium well steak, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #78
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I don't think there's supposed to be any pink in a medium well steak, but I could be wrong.

Oh, then maybe it was more towards medium? Whatever it was, I liked it... haha. I cut it in half after waiting the 5-10 minutes post-grilling, and one side seemed a tad more pinkish than the other. I think the one side was definitely medium then.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #79
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'd think that was more towards medium, to be honest. Still, glad you enjoyed it and it worked out!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #80
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Here's a great series of pictures about the different levels of steak doneness. I think you like it medium.

Steak Doneness - From Rare to Well, How to Cook a Steak