Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2007, 12:24 PM   #51
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And it must be weird for Bill Gates to see people so desperate that they'd spend their hard-earned money to play lotto. But it would be ridiculous, IMO, for him to play, notwithstanding "what a trip" it'd be if he actually won. There's nothing illegal about it, and he's perfectly able to do what he wants, but it is offensive to some that he would even consider it. Same with what Rickey did.

If you think it's odd, I get that. But calling Ricky (and Gates) "moronic" or "offensive" because they want to do something that you don't understand their reasons for is kind of ridiculous. It's exactly the mindset that pressures ahletes and other public figures to be as bland as possible.

Last edited by molson : 05-10-2007 at 12:24 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #52
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
You're in crusade-land. The end result is the kid has a Rickey Henderson autograph he didn't have before going to the game, yet Rickey is somehow the bad guy. *shurg*

you are missing the point which is not the end result

mabye corksucker is strong here. moron would fit nicely. or loon.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #53
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
You're in crusade-land. The end result is the kid has a Rickey Henderson autograph he didn't have before going to the game, yet Rickey is somehow the bad guy. *shurg*

Irrelevant to the actual issue. I don't care what he did after the fact, it's that he did what he did at all. For all you know, Rickey signed the ball while mumbling, "Maybe this will shut the whiny fuck up. Rickey needs some Rickey Time."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #54
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Maybe Ricky keeps all the ticket stubs and programs from these cherished games he gets to go to as a spectator. The third wing of the memorabilia section of his house is dedicated to these. It's next to all his broken bats.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #55
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If you think it's odd, I get that. But calling Ricky (and Gates) "moronic" or "offensive" because they want to do something that you don't understand their reasons for is kind of ridiculous. It's exactly the mindset that pressures ahletes and other public figures to be as bland as possible.

I don't see what's so ridiculous about making an observation of someone's actions that I consider to be, really, just plain common sense and a matter of fairness, given that person's status.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #56
JediKooter
Coordinator

Jedikooter thinks Rickey is gonna do what Rickeys gonna do.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #57
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
dur. you want a henderson ball. unless you start with some bashing pretty quick you are on your own.

I rented Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball for the SNES one time (the one where you can rename players), and some maroon before me renamed the Blue Jay players to their current (at the time) roster. So batting leadoff, their LF, with a speed of 10/10 was... Carlos Delgado.

That's not Henderson bashing, but I still find it funny.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #58
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have no idea why this story would bother anyone. The basic story is that he autographed a ball for a young fan. That makes him an asshole?

I dunno- people have these ridiculous standards for athletes - they're supposed to be Ruth on the field, and Ghandi off it. I don't K's stance at all.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #59
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
The act in and of itself isn't "wrong" per say. Taking the act in context with who he is and his profession and it strikes me as moronic.

The desire of this man to cherish a foul ball is so farcical I'm amazed at this thread.

Right, since you're not allowed to be a fan of a sport you play. That sentiment is farcical and really, it's pretty obvious that Henderson is a fan since he's rich but kept playing minor league ball because he loves the sport so much. If I loved something that much and I fairly caught a foul ball I'd darned well want to keep it and giving a kid a hall of famer's autograph is going to be something the kid will remember far longer than some random foul ball he catches ( oops, didn't catch ).
Old 05-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #60
st.cronin
General Manager

Rickey Henderson is clearly a loon, but the problem here is the kid (or whoever) crying that something wasn't given to him... when something was given to him. I hope Rickey gets a job as a manager someday (I think he works spring training as a coach for some team).

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #61
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Rickey Henderson is clearly a loon, but the problem here is the kid (or whoever) crying that something wasn't given to him... when something was given to him. I hope Rickey gets a job as a manager someday (I think he works spring training as a coach for some team).

Where is it that anyone is crying about it? I'm sure the kid or whoever is thrilled to get an autograph. The loon part is the focus here. This is indicative of that. He and Carl Everett should start up baseball card business.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #62
Ksyrup

Quote:
Where is it that anyone is crying about it? I'm sure the kid or whoever is thrilled to get an autograph. The loon part is the focus here. This is indicative of that. He and Carl Everett should start up baseball card business.

Exactly! I was just about to point that out. Look at the article - not a single word of description about the kid or what happened on the play. My guess is the adults around Rickey were chiding him for not giving the ball to a kid who happened to be sitting near him, so he autographed the kid's ball. There's no indication the kid even wanted the ball, let alone cried about it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-10-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #63
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
There's no indication the kid even wanted the ball, let alone cried about it.

So then why are we talking about this?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #64
rkmsuf
Head Coach

sigh
Old 05-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #65
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
So then why are we talking about this?

I guess because some people that weren't even there are crying that the kid wasn't given something... oh wait, he was given something.

I love Rickey Henderson. I think he's the most misunderstood guy ever.

knives out
Old 05-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #66
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I bet nobody said one word and this all came right from henderson. I bet he was seen catching the ball and then at some point was approached by a reporter where henderson recounted what happened. He's the whole article. Nobody else is quoted as saying one word.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #67
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I guess because some people that weren't even there are crying that the kid wasn't given something... oh wait, he was given something.

how can nobody grasp the point that was made over and over again

even if you don't agree with the point, just acknowledge you get it.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #68
Ksyrup

Quote:

I don't know how many times I have to say that this has nothing to do with the kid. It is the mere fact that Henderson would want the ball and keep it, given his status as a major league player. That is it. You guys keep changing the focus back to "Rickey didn't give the kid a ball" or "But he gave him a valuable autograph." I don't care - irrelevant!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #69
Ksyrup

Quote:

When does the shuttle leave to take us back to Planet Earth? I don't want to get inadvertently left here on Planet Bizarro.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #70
MikeVic
Head Coach

There's still something about catching one for yourself. I never have...

If you're a lawyer, you've used many pens before. But if a Hall of Fame lawyer threw his pen and you caught it, wouldn't you want to keep it instead of giving it to some kid?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #71
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

If you're a lawyer, you've used many pens before. But if a Hall of Fame lawyer threw his pen and you caught it, wouldn't you want to keep it instead of giving it to some kid?

wtf is a hall of fame lawyer. does he have 10/10 speed?

if you yourself are a hall of fame lawyer and catch some other hall of fame lawyer's pen you probably could care less about it. you have lots of nice pens.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #72
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

That's really nonsensical and twists the facts, since I would have to be the HoFer to be equated with Rickey. In that case, I would be more like a normal "fan" of the lawyer (as absurd an analogy is this is). What you've just stated would be the equivalent of a minor league player catching a foul ball hit by a Rickey Henderson type of player, which of course would have a degree of significance attached to it. But that's not the case here.

If I was F. Lee Bailey and Roy Black tossed me his pen, I'd probably be so pissed at the insinuation that I'm a lesser attorney than him that I would sue him for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-10-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #73
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

You have no point. I think we all accept the right of people to catch and keep foul balls at baseball games, it happens thousands of times each season.

So Rickey catches a foul ball, a kid gets an autograph from a hall of famer, and somehow Rickey is the villian. I just don't see it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #74
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I don't know how many times I have to say that this has nothing to do with the kid. It is the mere fact that Henderson would want the ball and keep it, given his status as a major league player. That is it. You guys keep changing the focus back to "Rickey didn't give the kid a ball" or "But he gave him a valuable autograph." I don't care - irrelevant!

I'm sorry, I don't understand your point at all. Should he not even go to baseball games then?

knives out
Old 05-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #75
rkmsuf
Head Coach

wtf
Old 05-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #76
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
That's really nonsensical and twists the facts, since I would have to be the HoFer to be equated with Rickey. In that case, I would be more like a normal "fan" of the lawyer (as absurd an analogy is this is). What you've just stated would be the equivalent of a minor league player catching a foul ball hit by a Rickey Henderson type of player, which of course would have a degree of significance attached to it. But that's not the case here.

If I was F. Lee Bailey and Roy Black tossed me his pen, I'd probably be so pissed at the insinuation that I'm a lesser attorney than him that I would sue him for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Yeah, you're right. My example is messed up.

But it sounds like this is the first ever foul ball that Henderson has caught as a fan. That is still special.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #77
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Exactly! I was just about to point that out. Look at the article - not a single word of description about the kid or what happened on the play. My guess is the adults around Rickey were chiding him for not giving the ball to a kid who happened to be sitting near him, so he autographed the kid's ball. There's no indication the kid even wanted the ball, let alone cried about it.

Well, at least you can admit your censure is based on guesses not anything in the story. That makes it understandable that you'd feel the way you do based on your guesswork.

I'm guessing that the kid is actually an alien from the planet zoonar and that the zoonarians travelled across the universe solely to get a Ricky Henderson autograph so in my guess, it's a win/win all the way.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #78
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
wtf is a hall of fame lawyer. does he have 10/10 speed?

if you yourself are a hall of fame lawyer and catch some other hall of fame lawyer's pen you probably could care less about it. you have lots of nice pens.

Yeah, my example isn't equivalent to what happened here.

I don't know, a hall of fame lawyer would be one that has a high win %? Or efficiency in winning cases? Hmm... now I have to think of criteria.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #79
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Well, honestly if nobody grasps your point maybe, just maybe, it's time to reevaluate that point to make sure it's a valid one.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #80
st.cronin
General Manager

By the way I never caught a foul ball at a baseball game, but I did once catch a FAIR ball. It was a homerun hit by Brady Anderson in Fenway Park.

knives out
Old 05-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #81
JasonC23
High School Varsity

This is truly the most bizarre thread I've read on here in quite some time.

Keep it up, people!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #82
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hey, the article says:

Quote:
The young fan didn't go home empty-handed, though, as Henderson signed another ball the fan already had.

So the kid already caught another foul ball? Or maybe he was handed a foul ball earlier?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #83
Ksyrup

Quote:
You have no point. I think we all accept the right of people to catch and keep foul balls at baseball games, it happens thousands of times each season.

So Rickey catches a foul ball, a kid gets an autograph from a hall of famer, and somehow Rickey is the villian. I just don't see it.

Why do you keep bringing up the kid? WHY?

Look, if Rickey went to a game and it was "Escaped Felons Get In Free" Night at the game, and Rickey caught a foul ball at the game, turned to the crowd and like a normal HoF player would, said, "I just caught a foul ball. But seeing as though I'm Rickey Henderson and me keeping a foul ball would be like an eskimo hording ice, I don't really see the need for me to have this. Since I know it would bring more joy to one of you peon "fans," I'm going to give it away. Do we have any child killers in the crowd? We do? Great! Here, sir, is a foul ball. I hope you have great memories of today's game."

If he did that - it still wouldn't make a difference to the underlying point we're trying to make.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #84
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Some of us keep pointing out that it's a matter of the experience of the thing and Rickey is perfectly reasonable to want to keep the memoir of that experience.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #85
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Well, honestly if nobody grasps your point maybe, just maybe, it's time to reevaluate that point to make sure it's a valid one.

oh it's valid.

and the fact you are calling ksyrup a nobody is very insulting. he won't take that standing down.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #86
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Well, since you get your panties in a bunch over the fact that a paying fan catches a ball, no one complains and then autographs another ball for another fan, I can see how you'd win the emotional distress thing in the hypothetical you present.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #87
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
oh it's valid.

and the fact you are calling ksyrup a nobody is very insulting. he won't take that standing down.

No, I was merely quoting you. I called him an emotional mess in my last post but you didn't know that when you replied to this.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #88
Ksyrup

Quote:
Well, at least you can admit your censure is based on guesses not anything in the story. That makes it understandable that you'd feel the way you do based on your guesswork.

I'm guessing that the kid is actually an alien from the planet zoonar and that the zoonarians travelled across the universe solely to get a Ricky Henderson autograph so in my guess, it's a win/win all the way.

I'm going to say this as politely as I can in typing:

FUCK. THE. KID.

Seriously, just fuck him. Forget he exists. Pretend Rickey is the only person in the damn place and the ball is hit right to him. If his initial instinct isn't to say, "What the hell do I need ANOTHER one of these for?!" and tosses the ball over his shoulder without a thought, then I have an issue with someone, in his position, who would act that way.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #89
Ksyrup

Quote:
Well, since you get your panties in a bunch over the fact that a paying fan catches a ball, no one complains and then autographs another ball for another fan, I can see how you'd win the emotional distress thing in the hypothetical you present.

How do you know he even paid (not that it makes a difference to my point)?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #90
rkmsuf
Head Coach

FORGET HE IS A PAYING CUSTOMER!!!!

We will whittle this down.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #91
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Seriously, just fuck him. Forget he exists. Pretend Rickey is the only person in the damn place and the ball is hit right to him. If his initial instinct isn't to say, "What the hell do I need ANOTHER one of these for?!" and tosses the ball over his shoulder without a thought, then I have an issue with someone, in his position, who would act that way.

At this point, I'm beginning to wonder how you can even call yourself a sports fan.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #92
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
At this point, I'm beginning to wonder how you can even call yourself a sports fan.

what in the hell are you talking about, sally
Old 05-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #93
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Some of us keep pointing out that it's a matter of the experience of the thing and Rickey is perfectly reasonable to want to keep the memoir of that experience.

And I personally think that's hogwash - BUT, I accept that argument. At this point, afew people aren't even within a moonshot of getting to this point with me. They keep arguing about things that have no relevance to my point, and then tell me that's the point I'm trying to make. I'm no longer in this to argue FOR my point as being right, just for my point to be understood.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #94
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm going to say this as politely as I can in typing:

FUCK. THE. KID.

oops, misread. Post deleted pending a proper reply. Curse this work thing

Last edited by Axxon : 05-10-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #95
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
And I personally think that's hogwash - BUT, I accept that argument. At this point, afew people aren't even within a moonshot of getting to this point with me. They keep arguing about things that have no relevance to my point, and then tell me that's the point I'm trying to make. I'm no longer in this to argue FOR my point as being right, just for my point to be understood.

that was my goal a page ago. just partially get within range of what the issue is.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #96
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
How do you know he even paid (not that it makes a difference to my point)?

So, Ricky is so disrespected that he is given free access to the game but is made to sit in foul ball territory?

Someone paid for the ticket he used and if it was the ballclub then yeah, that was an insult and if it was someone else, my point still stands.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #97
Ksyrup

Quote:
that was my goal a page ago. just partially get within range of what the issue is.

Dude, seriously, I feel like Bob Newhart and I'm debating with Larry and Darryl, his other brother Darryl, and a bunch of their cousins named Darryl.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #98
st.cronin
General Manager

If it was Don Mattingly, the story would be about what a great guy he was for hanging out with the paying fans and giving out autographs.

Too bad for Rickey that he's black.

knives out
Old 05-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #99
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Dude, seriously, I feel like Bob Newhart and I'm debating with Larry and Darryl, his other brother Darryl, and a bunch of their cousins named Darryl.

If there's a debate with darryl, his other brother darryl and their cousins is it really a debate?

Someone please unbox jbmagic to bring some sanity to this thread.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #100
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
what in the hell are you talking about, sally

It just seems to me that taking the stance that Rickey, because he's caught balls as a player and because he'd have access to a bunch of baseballs, he should just not care about the foul ball he caught as a fan is rather cold, unfeeling, and denies one of the principle values of sports.

Namely, the emotional experience that goes along with fandom.

Catching a foul ball as a fan, regardless of what level of baseball you've played at (if any), no matter whether you paid or not, is an experience that makes the catcher feel great that hey, they got the ball.

The ball then becomes not just any ball, but a signifier of that elated emotional state and a symbol of the memory of that happy moment.

Emotions, both positive and negative, and the memories associated with those emotions, are the foundation of sports fandom.