Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #51
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Arkansas will be signing Nathan Dick this year, who is Casey Dick's younger brother. Arkansas will be getting probably five more years of Dick. This Dick is bigger, so the Hogs may enjoy it more.

While they may have Dick for the next five years; I do believe that Nutt is going to be around for a while, because no one else well take Nutt off of Arkansas's fans hands.

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #52
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwal View Post
3 things that strike me on recruiting.

1. the disparity in ratings of players between Scout.com and Rivals.com. Nothing wrong with it it just tends to indicate that Coaches and recruiting services may see players a little differently since the top 2 recruiting services do.
Interesting - for the most part, I haven't seen much deviation between the two services. Sometimes a guy on Scout.com will be a 1-star while on Rivals he might be a 3 or 4 star, but that's only because a 1-star guy on Scout.com is someone they haven't had a chance to evaluate yet.

Quote:
2. The fact that the default team standings are based on a total point system rather than an average of the players signed. Conceivably depending on the number of scholarships a school has available a team that has predominantly 3 star recruits could be rated higher than a team that tends to have more 4 star players. The average number of scholarships per year could be around 20 but some schools have larger numbers available but it seems to me that the average of your recruits should be the most important number and the number that determines the best recruiting class.
I think their rationale for placing some weight in the overall number of players committed/signed is that, all other things being equal, you want more players. I would presume that they weigh the average stars more than the overall number of commits, but when you see a school like UCLA with a high per-star average but only 11 commits, you can understand why their system might rank the UW's class higher simply because of the sheer number of players the Huskies have (27).

Doesn't mean that UCLA's class doesn't fit exactly what they need - after all, the team recruiting rankings are a highly subjective enterprise that, in the end, don't necessarily mean a great deal. Attrition due to injuries, grades, transfers, etc. can wreak havoc with a team's recruiting class, and there will always be some sleepers and some busts in these classes.

Quote:
3. Ucla is having a pretty good year but with the predominance of USC in the LA area i would think that recruits would be turned off by being relegated to 2nd place in the same town. A lot of schools fall short of SC but being so close would seem to be detrimental to UCLA's recruiting efforts but at least this year it doesn't seem to be the case.
USC can only sign so many players, and they've gotten so good recently that they no longer are primarily focused on the West Coast and California - now they recruit nationally. The L.A. area has always had enough high-end prospects to feed both USC and UCLA while leaving a few left-overs for the rest of the Pac-10, and with USC looking more nationally that opens up even more kids for UCLA to snag.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #53
Swaggs
Coordinator

Rivals is reporting that Noel Devine will sign with WVU tomorrow! I am giddy at the prospect of seeing Patrick White, Steve Slaton, and Noel Devine in the same backfield next year. I sure hope he can qualify.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #54
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Rivals is reporting that Noel Devine will sign with WVU tomorrow! I am giddy at the prospect of seeing Patrick White, Steve Slaton, and Noel Devine in the same backfield next year. I sure hope he can qualify.

That would be incredible to watch. I hope for his sake he not only qualifies but can put some of his troubled past behind him.

Oh, and Terrance Toliver to LSU! With Chad Jones and (hopefully) McKnight tomorrow, this has to be the best class in LSU history.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #55
Logan
Head Coach

Great get for the entire BE if he qualifies.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #56
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Great get for the entire BE if he qualifies.
Yeah, the consensus is that he won't.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #57
fjvieane
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
It's wierd though. Living in LA and seeing USC's success, a lot of kids are just turned off by the arrogance that comes off of SC. A lot of kids don't care because let's face it though, Pete Carroll and Co are winners and have an incredible record over the past 5 years. Brian Price, the top DT in the West straight out of Crenshaw was pursued even after he committed to UCLA. Something about the program just turned him off. I think the win over SC last year helped ease a lot of kids minds and the playing time exists at UCLA at UCLA for some positions. It just baffles me why a LB, WR, or RB would commit to USC? Each year I hear that their recruits are better then the years before though.

UCLA returns 20 starters so this is a make or break year for Dorrell with 10 wins needing to save his job IMO.

hehe, you must be a UCLA fan. BTW Dorrell just signed a contract today that keeps him through 2011 (wonder if it happens).

I think kids at the positions you brought up come to USC because they know that they will get their shot to play right away and if not, the level of play and practices will get them ready for their turn. As I have seen and maybe you have too, injuries happen and someone has to step up (ala Taylor Mays).

I hope USC keeps it going tomorrow with a few big commits.......Good luck to all your teams, I hope you get who you want, well as long as USC isnt recruiting them
fjvieane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #58
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7 View Post
Yeah, the consensus is that he won't.

I wouldn't go that far. Apparently he's already on track to get where he needs to be GPA-wise and will have multiple chances to get the test score.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #59
timmynausea
College Starter

Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #60
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As explosive and talented as Devine is, just keep in mind the Clarett potential, both good AND bad.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #61
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Almost as fun will be watching the kids who change their minds at the last possible minute. I haven't heard any stories about any potential switches, but they always happen...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #62
RedKingGold
College Starter

Man, Devine just plays like a man among boys, doesn't he?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #63
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Green is definately going to USC from what I'm gathering. He just won't make the announcement until Wed. I'ts a real shame...we also lost Vidal Hazelton to them last year, even despite his parents attempt to keep him from going there.

Actually everything I have been reading is pointing Green to Penn State. There was a USC poster (lives in Ark) on one of the premium message boards saying he heard on the radio today that Green was going to choose PSU. He is suppose to inform the coaches tonight of his choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Well, I'm not too concerned about RB. Scott has always had the talent, it's his head that hasn't been straight. I get the feeling he could have a "Larry Johnson" type of year (where Scott comes out of being a dissapointment for four years and actually becomes the back they expected him to be out of Parkland). Also, I've heard pretty good things about Carter. The fact that the majority of the offensive line is coming back bodes well for our running game.

And, it all doesn't even matter if Morelli was the kind of suck he was before the bowl win (where even then he still made some pretty poor decisions).

I have heard some really good things about Evan Royster too. I must be the only one that will defend Morelli. If you look at the last game you'll see a few things with the offense. They opened it up. There was too much predictability which made it extremely hard for Morelli to throw. Plus the offensive line wasn't exactly stellar all year. Add to that Derrick Williams had a really subpar year. I couldn't tell you how many passes he dropped. I'm not saying Morelli is great but there were a lot of other factors that led him to looking the way he did.

The coaching staff really needs to find a way to utilize Quarless more. He could be a really big weapon for them next season. He has the size and speed to get open against linebackers. He reminds me of Tony Stewart and Troy Drayton.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #64
bhlloy
Coordinator

USC just stole 3 star TE Rhett Ellison away from WVU. Not a huge splash, but he does have some potential apparently.

Omar Bolden is out of the picture... going to Oregon State or Arizona State. He's going to be a very good CB and that one hurts a bit.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #65
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Omar Bolden is out of the picture... going to Oregon State or Arizona State. He's going to be a very good CB and that one hurts a bit.
He may have some qualifying issues. The UW is desperate for DB's this class and they backed-off of him, reportedly due to a combination of fears that he may not qualify and Bolden's desire to get a shot at RB (the Huskies already have 5 RB commits this class).

USC seems to be scrambling a bit - they've been raiding a few different commits from other schools, guys that didn't have that 4 or 5 star stamp of greatness from the recruiting services. They made a late run at UW lineman commit Skyler Fancher, but he's holding firm with the Huskies, but they did steal a DE recruit from Canada that had originally committed to WSU.

Last edited by dawgfan : 02-06-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #66
bhlloy
Coordinator

Apparently Skyler was never offered but he again is a guy with a lot of potential that should be a starter.

I totally agree that SC is scrambling a lot though this year - Marvin Austin not coming and the transfer of Walker Ashley led to a big need at D-Line at the last minute, which resulted in the offers to Henderson and Tupuo. Ellison got Bolden's scholarship apparently, and USC is still holding offers for 3 of McKnight, Deonte Thompson, Ahmed Paige and the CB Gildon who is committed to Oregon.

The very interesting news now is that Luther Davis could end up at USC if there is a scholarship free (probably Broderick Green). I would much rather the kid stays well away because he's a probation risk waiting to happen, but apparently his cousin is Damian Williams and the SC coaches called him last night to show interest.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #67
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
USC just stole 3 star TE Rhett Ellison away from WVU. Not a huge splash, but he does have some potential apparently.

USC stole him from VT, actually.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #68
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't think Rhett Ellison has ever been committed or associated with West Virginia. I follow WVU's recruiting religiously and have never heard of him.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #69
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sorry, wrong school. Virginia Tech, not WVU. Good catch
Old 02-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #70
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Apparently Skyler was never offered but he again is a guy with a lot of potential that should be a starter.
According to Fancher and Scout.com, USC did offer him but he declined their overture.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:56 PM   #71
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:

I totally agree that SC is scrambling a lot though this year - Marvin Austin not coming and the transfer of Walker Ashley led to a big need at D-Line at the last minute, which resulted in the offers to Henderson and Tupuo. Ellison got Bolden's scholarship apparently, and USC is still holding offers for 3 of McKnight, Deonte Thompson, Ahmed Paige and the CB Gildon who is committed to Oregon.

The very interesting news now is that Luther Davis could end up at USC if there is a scholarship free (probably Broderick Green). I would much rather the kid stays well away because he's a probation risk waiting to happen, but apparently his cousin is Damian Williams and the SC coaches called him last night to show interest.

Ha, I dont envy you at all if Davis signs with SC. He's a probation and qualifying rish who has some major character issues (ie, flat-out lying to everyone about visiting Bama when commited to LSU, then trying to save face after the Tigers pulled his scholie). Talented kid, but he doesn't seem worth the hassle and I tihnk SC has far better players. Let him hang with Saban in Bama with all of the recruits he was going to help go there, including Paige, McKnight, Chad Jones, Melancon...oh wait.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #72
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It looks like FSU will land Deonte Thompson, but I'm still holding out hope that the Canes can get him. Even if we don't, I'm impressed with Shannon's first year recruiting.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #73
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

In the end, it was Florida State for four-star offensive tackle Antwane Greenlee. Last spring, he made a commitment to Florida State, then in August, the Rivals250 member changed his mind and committed to G eorgia. But the Seminoles were persistent, even sending scholarship papers to High School just in case Greenlee changed his mind. And wouldn't you know it, he did.

"I've always been a Flo rida State fan," Greenlee told Warchant.com. "I knew how I felt about the program. I feel the program is on the rise.

I knew two days ago, it's been weighing on heart. It was a gut feeling."

The 6-foot-6, 302 pound big man was quick to credit new FSU offensive line coach Rick Trickett for his second change of heart. That, along with a need for offensive lineman, made Greenlee change his mind back to the 'Noles.

"Me and him formed (Trickett) a pretty close bond," he said. "He played a heavy role, he played a big role in my signing."

The signing is extra sweet for the Garnet and Gold because Greenlee recently cancelled an in-home visit with the 'Noles, a sure sign that he was signing with Georgia on National Signing Day.

But In the end, playing time and a gut instinct is why Greenlee will suit up for Florida State next season.

Greenlee will wear jersey No. 78 at FSU.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-07-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #74
Ksyrup

WR MARKISH JONES TO CLEMSON
One prospect FSU wasn't able to turn was wide receiver Markish Jones of Spartanburg (S.C.) Broome. His coach said he signed with Clemson this morning. Jones committed to Clemson in October but was considering FSU, which needs speedy receivers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #75
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The big test tomorrow is getting Joe Nicolas' signed LOI, keeping Miami off him, and hopefully getting the commit from RB Antwain Easterling.

Damn, unsuccessful.

Edit: #2 was unsuccessful as well. But apparently Schiano decided not to take Easterling due to the legal troubles and concerns about his attitude, so he committed to Southern Miss which was his only remaining D1 offer.

Last edited by Logan : 02-07-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #76
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Almost as fun will be watching the kids who change their minds at the last possible minute. I haven't heard any stories about any potential switches, but they always happen...

Stupid Jerimy Finch. First he decommited from Michigan and committed to IU, and then today he committed to Florida. Jackass. Would've been IU's highest rated recruit in a decade...
Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #77
Ksyrup

Bad news for FSU - we lost our 1 sure bet at RB. Unbelievable.

Bert Reed Signs With FSU. losses RB Elliott

Former Florida commitment Bert Reed made it official on Wednesday morning. FSU has received the letter of intent from the Panama City Bay athlete who will be used as a receiver and returner for FSU.

But FSU wasn't able to sway Orlando Jones defensive lineman Jaye Howard who stuck to his committment to Florida. But the biggest blow to FSU in the early going of Signing Day was four-star running back Robert Elliott's announcement at his school's press conference that he had signed with Mississippi State. Elliott was the last highly rated running back on FSU's recruiting board heading into Wednesday and that could leave FSU without a signee at that position today.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-07-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #78
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Markish signed with Florida State
Old 02-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #79
Ksyrup

Really?

EDIT: Just saw this:

Markish Jones changes mind, will sign with FSU
PalmettoSports.com is reporting that Markish Jones, who announced at a 9 a.m. press conference he would honor his commitment, has changed his mind. Jones' Spartanburg Broome high school coach told the website that Jones signed the letter of intentent but around 10 a.m. changed his mind and said he would sign with FSU.
Ahmad Paige, a wide receiver once committed to FSU, has signed with Tennessee.
Although not official yet, Homestead linebacker Maurice Harris has signed with FSU.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #80
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Go Vols!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #81
Ksyrup

10:15 a.m. - DE Antoine Carter signs with Auburn.

10:05 a.m. - OL Anthony Grosso signs with FSU.

9:59 a.m. - Confirmed, DE Jerry Howard signed with .
Florida.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-07-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #82
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Really?

EDIT: Just saw this:

Markish Jones changes mind, will sign with FSU
PalmettoSports.com is reporting that Markish Jones, who announced at a 9 a.m. press conference he would honor his commitment, has changed his mind. Jones' Spartanburg Broome high school coach told the website that Jones signed the letter of intentent but around 10 a.m. changed his mind and said he would sign with FSU.
Ahmad Paige, a wide receiver once committed to FSU, has signed with Tennessee.
Although not official yet, Homestead linebacker Maurice Harris has signed with FSU.

Good grief. I'm surprised more coaches don't have heart attacks over crap like this.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #83
Ksyrup

No kidding. It's one thing to change your commitment, but to do it within an hour after announcing on signing day? Bizarre. I can imagine this process is overwhelming and all of that, but geez, at some point you just make your decision and stick with it, or wait until you're entirely sure.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #84
Poli
FOFC Survivor

A few years back, Julian Battle (JUCO safety) committed to Tennessee, but on signing day sent his paperwork to NC State.

A few hours later, if I'm not mistaken on the story, he changed his mind, and called NC State about his fax. They said his fax hadn't been received.

He then signed with Tennessee. A good player, but a bad attitude, as I recall. I almost wish he hadn't.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #85
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
A few years back, Julian Battle (JUCO safety) committed to Tennessee, but on signing day sent his paperwork to NC State.

A few hours later, if I'm not mistaken on the story, he changed his mind, and called NC State about his fax. They said his fax hadn't been received.

He then signed with Tennessee. A good player, but a bad attitude, as I recall. I almost wish he hadn't.

NC State should have told him they received his fax and to send in the original for their files.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #86
Ksyrup

Sorry for the FSU slant on all of this, but it's where I get my info. And they're losing so many that I'm updating other teams' signees as well...

FSU loses two to Auburn
Florida State defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews never gave up on convincing Michael McNeil to become a Seminole. But the Mobile Davidson safety said he signed a letter of intent with Auburn this morning. Another FSU prospect, defensive end Antoine Carter of Fort Lauderdale Dillard, signed with Auburn over FSU.

Auburn has not released an official list of signees.

McNeil's signing leaves FSU with fews options at safety. One to continue to watch is Stefoin Francois.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #87
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I thought I read somewhere Francois was LSU bound.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #88
Ksyrup

Yeah, it just got posted that he officially signed.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #89
Celeval
Pro Starter

GT's got their twenty LOI's in the bag, so we're done early today.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #90
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy View Post
the team under the rader recruiting of the year award has to go to Ron Zook and Illinois, he put together a WOW class

No longer under the radar - it's a top story in today's New York Times - heavy on the allegations of wrong-doing.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #91
Ksyrup

FSU kept Kendal Smith, a LB recruited by Kevin Steele, who left for Alabama.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #92
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Tennessee has 26 by last count...still waiting on a few others. We've lost two notables, one I believe that had verballed to UT.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #93
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
No longer under the radar - it's a top story in today's New York Times - heavy on the allegations of wrong-doing.

I know Zook and the Gators are known to pay extra.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #94
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
No kidding. It's one thing to change your commitment, but to do it within an hour after announcing on signing day? Bizarre. I can imagine this process is overwhelming and all of that, but geez, at some point you just make your decision and stick with it, or wait until you're entirely sure.

Don't bother trying to explain this to Cards4Ever.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #95
Poli
FOFC Survivor

We're waiting on four other names, Gerald Jones the biggest. Jones has reportedly been wavering between UT, OK State, and Texas Tech.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #96
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Now I hear we're waiting on five.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #97
Ksyrup

FSU is heading into the lunch hour and the long-anticipated decision by Marvin Austin, the nation's top defensive prospect, with an official list of 11 signees.

The most recent signees include linebacker Kendall Smith. offensvie lineman Rodney Hudson, originially a commitment to West Virginia and Homestead linebacker Maurice Harris.

The group also includes offensvie lineman Anthony Grosso, Madison County cornerback Bernard Brinson. FSU also received letter of intents from offensive lineman A.J. Ganguzza and defensive end Jamar Jackson. Wide receiver Cameron Wade of Cairo, Ga. and offensive lineman Zach Hillery of Hargrave Academy are also on the official list. In adddition to Reed, WR Dionte Allen has signed with FSU.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #98
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Austin, who UT wanted as well, is headed to UNC by the forum I'm reading.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #99
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
Austin, who UT wanted as well, is headed to UNC by the forum I'm reading.

For both of us.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #100
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
9:59 a.m. - Confirmed, DE Jerry Howard signed with .
Florida.

Kind of surprised Howard stuck with Florida. There was some talk that he had interest in a few other schools after UF got commits from Dunlap and Trattou.