Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #51
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Not to threadjack, but thanks for the link. I was pleased to see the comments about Top Chef. Like Hell's Kitchen, I had never seen the show before and only got into it mid-season, but really really enjoyed it. Glad to see that the solid ratings virtually guarantee another season.

I hate to ask, but what shows are on USA? I'll admit that I haven't watched hardly anything on that network since Gilbert Godfried was under contract with them. Maybe Silk Stalkings - wasn't that on USA? What's that, 10-12 years ago?
I'm guessing the best rated shows on there are:

Monk
Psych
The Closer
Uhh... the one with the guy that can read dead people or whatever, can't think of the name...

Also, is Wrestling on USA at this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Saw one episode of Monk and thought it was OK, but never was interested in watching it again. Is one of those shows the one with Kyra Sedgwick? Never saw it, but saw a preview where I heard what passes as her southern accent and about had a Fran Drescher vomit session over how annoyingly unrealistic it was. Seriously, it was painful to listen to. I didn't know that show was popular.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #53
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
They couldn't have asked for a better contestant to stir shit up than Marcel. If he was on Hell's Kitchen, where the top prize was his own restaurant, I bet he would have been gone much earlier, because it was beyond clear that the dude couldn't lead a group of people even if he was given 2 weeks to brainwash them. A Kenmore kitchen and some cash? Keep him around!

Nothing better than when the idoit tried to shave his head.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #54
Ksyrup

That was one of those classic, "On the count of 3, we all step forward, OK? You with me? This is going to be awesome...OK, 1...2...hey, where'd you go?" moments.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-07-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'm guessing the best rated shows on there are:
Monk,Psych,The Closer, ... Also, is Wrestling on USA at this point?

Closer is actually on TNT but otherwise ... Not only is wrestling on USA, but it's the #1 & #3 rated program in all of cable (ranked on total households, taking each hour as a separate program). A Lifetime movie was #3, but Monk was #4 this week, and Psych managed to crack the Top 25. Virtually everything else in the top 25 is on Nick, with a few stray shows 1 per network finishing out the list.

Dead Zone, 4400, and Nashville Star are probably the strongest other things on USA, and although I haven't looked at the numbers specifically, I'm sure they do okay with late night repeats of House the various Law & Orders too.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #56
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
That was one of those classic, "On the count of 3, we all step forward, OK? You with me? This is going to be awesome...OK, 1...2...hey, where'd you go?" moments.

Guy might as well have actually shaved his head.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't know that show was popular.

Most watched original drama in the history of basic cable.
(off-hand I'm not sure how it would stack up vs some of the HBO/Showtime series)

edit to add: It's strong enough that, combined with the L&O repeats, it'd likely be enough to make TNT the most watched cable network if USA didn't have Raw to pull in households.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-07-2007 at 11:58 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #58
Ksyrup

Wow. Had no idea. I guess I'm alone on my opinion of her accent. I thought it was so forced and annoying, I couldn't even watch the preview/commercial or whatever I saw.

And yeah, I guess I can understand USA doing well with wrestling. In fact, I think that's all I should say about that subject before I get myself in trouble.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #59
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Wow. Had no idea. I guess I'm alone on my opinion of her accent. I thought it was so forced and annoying, I couldn't even watch the preview/commercial or whatever I saw.

And yeah, I guess I can understand USA doing well with wrestling. In fact, I think that's all I should say about that subject before I get myself in trouble.

I'm actually ooged out somehow by how she looks, that alone keeps me from watching it.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #60
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I second this. I didn't see the show but the perview they had was horrendously unfunny and annoying. That said, I find that I have to watch her whenever she's on screen. I'm drawn to her like a moth to a flame. I don't quite understand it and don't particularly like it, but there you have it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #61
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm actually ooged out somehow by how she looks, that alone keeps me from watching it.

And how she looks involves her movements, etc also... I guess her voice may be part of it to, i'm not sure.. I just know something about her really weirds me out.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #62
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
This does read like a ridiculous puff piece, but i'll give it chance to win me on it's own merit.

Incidentally, some of you might remember her sister Laura as the voice of the secretary Laura on Dr Katz, Professional Therapist (a criminally overlooked show).

Sometimes I think my TV somehow gets different programming than the rest of you, but the show names are all the same.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:52 AM   #63
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I just watched the first episode. Not a fan... at all.

It was nice to see Jay Johnston though, who used to rock the house on Mr. Show.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #64
Bad-example
College Starter

I thought the second episode was funnier than the first. I can do without the singing, but this show might end up becoming good once it finds its legs. It is still very uneven and awkward, but the potential is there.

Last edited by Bad-example : 02-10-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:34 AM   #65
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I pretty much agree with everything you said, bad-example. I think the third episode will be a telltale sign on which way this show is headed. Either to cult hit status, or canceled before the first season finishes.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #66
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I hated the first episode of 30 Rock, but stayed with it and now it's one of my favorite shows, so I'm going to give this show another chance. Somehow, I don't see her pulling it off, but we'll see
Old 02-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #67
molson
General Manager

I caught two episodes of this week by accident, and I'm hooked. I don't know if I like it because it's "good", but I am one of the people who find Silverman hilarious in ways I can't explain and wouldn't expect most people to agree with. Something about pulling off the dry humor that's so rare for a chick.

Last edited by molson : 02-15-2007 at 10:45 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:03 AM   #68
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Yeah, I watched both the first 2 episodes and it certainly is out there, but I too have always liked her...good stuff
Old 02-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #69
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, this certainly is different.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #70
Subby
lolzcat

This show is a fucking riot. Mascara on pubes joke = money.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #71
14ers
High School Varsity

Why does TNT claim to be the most watched Cable Network?
Quote:

Cable Series by Total Households
week of 01/29/07-02/04/07
Sort by Viewers
Top 15 Cable Series: Total Households
Rank
Program Name
Net
Day
Time
Household
Viewers
Rating
Audience
WWE ENTERTAINMENT (WWE RAW)
USA
MON
10:00 PM
PRIME MOVIE (ANGELS FALL)
LIF
MON
9:00 PM
WWE ENTERTAINMENT (WWE RAW)
USA
MON
MONK
USA
FRI
FAIRLY ODD PARENTS
NICK
SAT
10:00 AM
SPONGEBOB
NICK
SAT
9:30 AM
SPONGEBOB
NICK
SAT
7:30 PM
SPONGEBOB
NICK
SAT
9:00 AM
NED DECLASSIFIED
NICK
SAT
8:00 PM
FAIRLY ODD PARENTS
NICK
SAT
10:30 AM
SPONGEBOB
NICK
SUN
9:30 AM
SPONGEBOB
NICK
SAT
6:30 PM
SPONGEBOB
NICK
SAT
7:00 PM
NAKED BROTHERS BAND
NICK
SAT
FAIRLY ODD PARENTS
NICK
SUN
10:00 AM
I do not see a single show from the TNT network in the top 15.

And, who knew that Nickelodeon TV dominated the cable ratings?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #72
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

If you are talking about Sedwick, I agree wholeheartedly. I think she is by far the most unattractive woman lead on TV today. Doesn't she look in a mirror???
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #73
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
If you are talking about Sedwick, I agree wholeheartedly. I think she is by far the most unattractive woman lead on TV today. Doesn't she look in a mirror???

Even when she was younger, she always had that strange look about her. Still, I like the show and I think part of it may be what you just said. She isn't the prototypical hot babe. She's just a solid actress (my opinion) and does her job well.

I have nothing against the hot babes that populate every TV show in this country, but if I think about a lead homicide detective in the real world, I'm not thinking Jennifer Jason Leigh. I'm thinking she probably looks a lot closer to Kyra. I don't watch every episode, but it is one of my favorite shows.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #74
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The uncomfortable comedy...wave of the future or comedy fad? I watched tivoed episodes of Sarah Silverman and then two episodes of Extras. That was some painful comedy.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #75
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
The uncomfortable comedy...wave of the future or comedy fad? I watched tivoed episodes of Sarah Silverman and then two episodes of Extras. That was some painful comedy.

when you whole schtick is "uncomfortable" you have very little shelf life. total short run strategy for her.

it's not really even comedy per say when you promo stuff like "all people with AIDS should be on the moon." it's basically let's just say stuff that is outrageous and try and make people gasp. personally I find very little craft in her work.

hey it seems to work since the ratings were good but it doesn't make me laugh much.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #76
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
when you whole schtick is "uncomfortable" you have very little shelf life. total short run strategy for her.

it's not really even comedy per say when you promo stuff like "all people with AIDS should be on the moon." it's basically let's just say stuff that is outrageous and try and make people gasp. personally I find very little craft in her work.

hey it seems to work since the ratings were good but it doesn't make me laugh much.

I think she's has great delivery in her act, but she should try to expand her materal a bit more. Having it in the context of a show just might give it a little more life, though, with other characters who aren't always so over the top.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #77
Bad-example
College Starter

I wonder how many episodes Tim Goodman got in advance before writing his glowing review. I am liking this show a little more each week. The beauty pagent episode had some really funny moments.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #78
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I wonder how many episodes Tim Goodman got in advance before writing his glowing review. I am liking this show a little more each week. The beauty pagent episode had some really funny moments.

I agree. This week's episode was the best one so far. Considering they have only shown 3, that's not saying much, but it was a solid, all-around episode.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #79
Bad-example
College Starter

The promos say this week will be the last episode of the first season. That went quickly. What was it, 8 episodes? Last week had some really funny stuff. The whole "Tab" thing was hilarious. I still think the show would be better if they cut out the musical numbers. Any word if this is coming back for a second season?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:56 AM   #80
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
The promos say this week will be the last episode of the first season. That went quickly. What was it, 8 episodes? Last week had some really funny stuff. The whole "Tab" thing was hilarious. I still think the show would be better if they cut out the musical numbers. Any word if this is coming back for a second season?

Yep, Comedy Central ordered 14 new episodes for next fall and spring. The show keeps getting better each week. The little kids pagent episode and last week's episode were especially good. The tab thing was very funny and I agree about the songs needing to be cut as I think most people do.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #81
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I missed the so-called "tab" episode. I had a feeling this show would get better each week. Does seem like the season is rather short for an American show. British shows do the whole "less than 10 episodes a season", and it seems to work out ok, so maybe we'll see a new paradigm in US TV. I'd trade quantity for quality 7 days a week.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #82
Bad-example
College Starter

Glad to hear it is coming back with a longer season two. They are showing the first season, all six episodes (not eight as I posted above) starting at 9 tonight. They are showing them twice, actually. Good chance to catch any episodes you missed.