Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2007, 12:50 AM   #51
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
It's strange to me to see Mike Singletary's name thrown out there as a possible head coach. I think he'd be the first head coach that I got to see play.

Unless you pretty rarely watch pro football, you probably caught some of Jack Del Rio's career. He was a Pro Bowler and starting LB into the mid-1990s.

QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:52 AM   #52
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
It's strange to me to see Mike Singletary's name thrown out there as a possible head coach. I think he'd be the first head coach that I got to see play.

Word.

Edit: forgot about Del Rio.

Last edited by Cringer : 01-08-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:26 AM   #53
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I dunno, am i surprised petrino left.. absolutely not.. And i think Louisville will be better off for it in the long run..

I am more curious to see who Louisville goes after next.. Kragthorpe from tulsa? Petersen from Boise State maybe?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:40 AM   #54
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Unless you pretty rarely watch pro football, you probably caught some of Jack Del Rio's career. He was a Pro Bowler and starting LB into the mid-1990s.

Forgot about him, but I don't specifically recall seeing him play (although I'm sure I did). I can still vividly remember watching Singletary play.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:44 AM   #55
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

He never saw Art Shell???

This is, well, interesting. I'll reserve judgement, but I'm not necessarily optimistic.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #56
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hrm. Haslett played last in 1987, Fisher '85, Cowher '84. Herm Edwards until '86. Kubiak played until '91. Tice played until the 1995.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #57
TroyF
Coordinator

Interesting hire for a lot of reasons. You knew they were going offense because they want to give Vick his last real crack.

But I'd have thought they would go after someone with HC experience in the NFL, rather than a college guy. He's had nice offenses in college, but so did Spurrier and Saban.

I don't think it's a slam dunk mishire. I kind of agree with SD above. I don't really like it, but I'll reserve judgement until I see some of Atlantas games next year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #58
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

His one year as OC with the Jags was not so great. Of course, that was when the team was on the decline under Coughlin and Fred Taylor was out for most of the year. He still had the Brunell/Smith/McCardell passing offense to work with, but he got nothing out of anyone else on that offense.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #59
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Schaub has a worse completion percentage than Vick and has never won an NFL game.

The differences are quite negligable. 53.8% for Vick and 52.2% for Schaub. not to mention Schaub has 10% of the attempts that Vick does. I think you just can't compare at this point. I can say that Schaub has steadily increased his completion percentage while Vick's has fluctuated within 2% or so.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #60
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Denny Green was a college coach, although he had been an assistant in the NFL before that.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #61
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
As for the last two college coaches that made a successful jump to the NFL, here are what I see as the reasons:

Jimmy Johnson:
He had a stable coaching staff. He had a core group of guys that he was able to bring along with him from the college ranks. If I'm not mistaken, at least a couple of them were his assistants at Oklahoma State that followed him to Miami. If there is already an established, successful chemistry among the coaches, that can only help the transition to the next level. Not a guarantee of success, but it wipes out the whole 'getting to know the new coach' phase that often times does not end successfully.

Barry Switzer:
Inherited the organization that Johnson built.

As for the other coaches that moved up from college to pro, they for the most part inherited a group of assistants that were not successful under the previous head coach, or they have to piece together a new staff from scratch, most of which have never worked together in the past.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 AM   #62
Ksyrup

As far as college coaches who made a "successful" jump to the NFL, how about Bobby Ross? Granted, he wasn't great by Jimmy Johnson standards, but he had only 1 losing season in 9 years, and took the Chargers and Lions to a combined 4 playoff appearances, including 1 Super Bowl appearance. And, in retrospect, his 4 years with the Lions look like Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys compared to where they've been since he left!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-08-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #63
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Why don't I hear Wayne Fontes' name come up any more?!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:24 AM   #64
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Why don't I hear Wayne Fontes' name come up any more?!

Because the NFL doesn't appreciate true coaching genius?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #65
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwal View Post
This guy is a good coach. That being said he is a major low-life. When he interviewed at Auburn behind the back of his "friend" Tommy Tuberville i lost all respect for this guy. This is a guy whose words are said to impress potential recruits and have nothing to do with truth and honesty. I don't care about Louisville but losing this guy is going to be for the good in the long run. Never, ever hire guys like this. There are enough good coaches out there whose word means something.

I don't blame him for saying things about staying at Louisville that he obviously did not mean because that is a necessity for recruiting. But i blame him for that Auburn affair and i would never touch a guy like this. Louisville will come out the winner in this deal..

Sounds like he and Mr. Mexico might be soulmates...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #66
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It is Scott Mitchell-syndrome. Backup quarterbacks are always the most popular players on the team, until they actually have to play.

...but in the case of Scott Mitchell and Joey Harrington, their being in the game was only slightly better than opeining up your offense with the punter in shotgun formation. (Unless you were talking about Mitchell in Miami, which would make no sense.)

It should be called Rodney Peete Syndrome, as if you examine how many backups Wayne tried to replace Rodney with, but examine thier careers compared to Peete's you can wasily see that the problem wasn't the QB, but that Wayne insisted on running the chuck-n-duck offense with QB's who (mostly) should have been running a short passing game style of offense (Peete, Long, Kramer, Gagliano.)
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #67
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
For Patriots fans, it's "Matt Cassell syndrome."
Has it really existed since Brady became entrenched, though?

The last serious incarnation that I can remember is Michael Bishop syndrome.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #68
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
How many playoff wins has Vick led Atlanta to over that same amount of time?

IMO, the Falcons would be better off if Vick tore his ACL and you actually got to see Schuab for a decent amount of time.

Not that I think judging an individual player's performance based on team records makes any sense, but Vick is 2-2 in the playoffs, including the only postseason road win ever at Lambeau field. I don't tink that's so bad for someone who has only been a starter for 4 full seasons.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As far as college coaches who made a "successful" jump to the NFL, how about Bobby Ross?

Funny you mention him, I was just talking about the same thing while taking my son to school this morning.

My comment at the time was that I didn't think Ross counted because he had more experience as an NFL assistant. Turns out (of course) that I was misremembering that, as he only spent 4 years in KC before his college success. Petrino has 3 seasons with the Jaguars, close enough to make it a valid comparison in that respect (although Ross had nearly twice as many years as a college head coach as Petrino)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-08-2007 at 03:17 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #70
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

According to Bengals.com the new offensive coordinator for the Falcons will be Bengals receivers coach Hue Jackson. He and Petrino worked together at Arizona State and he's the only person to call plays for Steve Spurrier.

He's been a very good receivers coach, but his only pro coordinator experience was with Spurrier and the Redskins.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #71
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
The last serious incarnation that I can remember is Michael Bishop syndrome.
Word.

I was watching a CFL semi-final a month or so ago between Montreal and Toronto and Bishop came in to replace, I think, Damon Allen, at QB. Robert Edwards and Ricky Williams were the starting RB's.

On topic, Tom Coughlin said something along the lines of Petrino being the best or most imaginative play-caller he's ever coached with, but if you've seen a Tom Coughlin team play offense, that's not saying much.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #72
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Hrm. Haslett played last in 1987, Fisher '85, Cowher '84. Herm Edwards until '86. Kubiak played until '91. Tice played until the 1995.

Haslett, Fisher, Cowher and Edwards were just a bit before my time. They all retired around the the time I started watching football. Kubiack and Tice I forgot about as well, but like with Del Rio, I don't remember actually seeing them play (although I'm sure at some point I did).
Old 01-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #73
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I should follow up on Bishop syndrome to note that my further recollection is that it was in favor of Bledsoe, and while Bishop didn't turn out to be the right guy, the fans were right about finding someone better than Drew.

sabotai, Kubiak was a career backup to Elway, so you probably didn't see him play.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #74
Ksyrup

You never watched the end of a Broncos blowout and saw Kubiak mopping up?

I don't think he threw more than 80-90 passes in a single season in his career, although for some reason I recall him playing a significant role in a playoff game or entire post-season. Probably just one game, though I can't recall why (or if Elway got injured).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-08-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #75
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
sabotai, Kubiak was a career backup to Elway, so you probably didn't see him play.

Yeah, after I looked him up, I saw that. Now that I think about it, I do remember seeing Kubiack when he played (read: stood on the sidelines next to Elway).
Old 01-09-2007, 06:57 AM   #76
Ben E Lou

In an interview I heard, McKay definitively declared that Vick is the starter. For better or for worse, it doesn't sound like a HC decision to me.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #77
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
In an interview I heard, McKay definitively declared that Vick is the starter. For better or for worse, it doesn't sound like a HC decision to me.
Are you surprised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #78
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Are you surprised?
No, but was just commenting for the benefit of those who wondered if it would be Petrino's call.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #79
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
No, but was just commenting for the benefit of those who wondered if it would be Petrino's call.

Shew, you haven't gone stupid on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #80
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...gimmefive.html

Published on: 01/09/07

Louisville Courier-Journal columnist Rick Bozich gives us five things every Falcons fan should know about Bobby Petrino:

1. Don't believe the stories that he sleeps in his office during training camp. They're not true. Bobby Petrino doesn't sleep anywhere during training camp.

2. He'd rather visit his proctologist than visit with the media.

3. He'll wait until at least August until he listens to an offer for another job. Unless, of course, somebody contacts him in June or July.

4. Petrino is the Italian who coached in Louisville who did not wear the Brioni suits and Bruno Magli loafers.

5. He's not going to think these little lists are very funny, especially if they concern him.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #81
Ksyrup

Louisville lost Phil Simms other kid (another QB) as a commitment today.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #82
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ooh, Rutgers might get him now.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #83
Ksyrup

Accordng to the article I read, BC and Rutgers are out of the running. Arizona State and now, because of Dantonio, Michigan State, are his top choices. But he also said he's starting from "square one" in his search.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #84
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

I heard Phil Simms on the radio yesterday saying that was unlikely as Rutgers currently has 5 QBs signed already.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #85
Ksyrup

Here's the article:

Matt Simms back to 'Square One'

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

By ART STAPLETON
STAFF WRITER

TYSON TRISH / THE RECORD
MATT SIMMS

Don Bosco quarterback Matt Simms broke the family huddle in August and never anticipated that he would change the play.
He was committed to Louisville. He was committed to the potential of a program poised for big things at the top of the Big East Conference and nationally. He was committed to ending his recruitment early, avoiding any of the extra attention that comes with waiting.
Once the coach who sold him on Louisville changed his mind, though, only then did Simms call an audible of his own.
Just hours after Bobby Petrino left the school to become the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons on Monday, Simms withdrew his pledge to join the Cardinals this fall, opting to re-open a process that for him had been closed for months.
The only sure thing is that it won't be where he originally said he would go.
"I'm not going to Louisville," Simms said. "I'm pretty much back to Square One."
Simms in August announced he would play for Petrino at Louisville, but athletes are not bound by the NCAA to schools or to their scholarship until they sign a letter of intent in their respective sport. The signing period for football begins Feb. 7.
VARSITY ACES
Darren Cooper, Greg Mattura , Dan Rosen, Paul Schwartz and Art Stapleton cover sports for The Record and offer their take on high schools, pros and everything in between.

Visit the blog

"He's pretty much one of the main reasons I committed to Louisville," Simms said of Petrino, "so the fact that he's not there, it's time for me to find someplace else, somewhere I'm going to feel comfortable."
The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Simms completed his heralded high school career at Giants Stadium last month by leading Don Bosco to a 41-0 victory over St. Peter's Prep in the Non-Public Group 4 title game. He finished the season with 1,981 passing yards and 18 touchdowns, and in three years as the starter threw for more than 60 touchdowns and 6,000 yards.
Simms said he found some peace of mind when Petrino signed a 10-year contract extension in the summer to stay at Louisville, but remained well aware that the allure of the NFL would always be there for a coach whose stock continued to rise.
Once Petrino made up his mind to leave the college game, though, Simms felt compelled to change his plans, deciding to again search for what he called "a better fit."
Older brother Chris committed to Tennessee before signing with Texas as a senior at Ramapo eight years ago, an experience that Matt did not want to happen during his recruiting process. Former Giant great Phil Simms did not want his youngest son to go through a similar experience and he would not have, Matt insisted, had Petrino stayed at Louisville.
"One thing I was always worried about was whether or not he'd leave while I was there," Simms said. "You never want to transfer out of a school, and if he left, who knows what happens after that. I was happy with my decision to go to Louisville, as long as [Petrino] was there, but now that's not the case. I guess I'm lucky it happened now.
"Now I'm back to trying to find a home and the right place for me to go."
Of the four schools that were on Simms' original final list of suitors, Rutgers is the only one not looking for a new coach. Though Louisville already is in the process of finding Petrino's successor – Tulsa's Steve Kragthorpe is expected to be the choice -- Arizona State and Boston College also will have new faces on the sideline next season.
Arizona State still is an option, Simms said, but Rutgers and Boston College are not.
Then there is the emergence of Michigan State, a legitimate contender because of a new coaching staff led by former Cincinnati head coach Mark Dantonio. Dantonio and several of his assistants really impressed Simms when they were recruiting him for the Bearcats.
Simms called it a long shot, but said he would reconsider Louisville "if the right person landed there and they recruited me, but that's probably not likely.
"Michigan State is definitely an option and so is Arizona State," Simms said. "I have all of my [official] visits to take and I'm probably going to take them. I'll just have to see how the next month or so plays out, but I'd like to have a school by signing day.
"In a way, I can take all the time in the world to see what's out there, and I'm not going to rush. I'm going to wait and see."
Blog: northjersey.com/varsityaces/stapleton
Where will Bosco star end up?
The options Their chances
Arizona State A finalist the first time, the Sun Devils just got a commitment from QB Chasen Stangel.
Michigan State New head coach Mark Dantonio has Simms' attention because of the way he pursued him while at Cincinnati.
Louisville Could reconsider if Bobby Petrino's successor makes strong pitch and QB coach Jeff Brohm sticks around.
Somewhere else Any school looking for a QB could swoop in between now and Feb. 7.
OUT OF THE PICTURE
Boston College New staff would need to make inroads quickly to have a shot.
Rutgers Not likely to follow former Bosco teammate Mike Teel.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #86
timmynausea
College Starter

I certainly don't have too much knowledge of the Louisville staff, but I have wondered why Louisiville didn't just promote Offensive Coordinator Paul Petrino, Bobby's brother, to take the head coaching job and basically keep the current staff and recruiting class together. It may be that he will go with his brother to the pros, but I've read that he was calling recruits as of yesterday so that doesn't seem to be the case.

Maybe Kragthorpe is a better coach and would be better to have in the long run, but promoting from within would've kept everything together in the short term. It's less than a month until signing day.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #87
timmynausea
College Starter

After posting I read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout.com article
Four of Petrino’s assistants were in attendance for Kragthorpe’s press conference, defensive coordinator Mike Cassity, quarterbacks coach Jeff Brohm, running backs coach Greg Nord and linebackers coach Reggie Johnson. They are the only assistants from Petrino’s staff that could join Kragthorpe’s team at U of L.

So it seems Paul Petrino must be moving on. Keeping Jeff Brohm may help convince Brian to stay in school, though.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #88
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

It would be a disaster. We don't need Phil trying to pull strings to get his son to play in 2 years, only to go whine to the media when he realizes he can't bully Schiano.

In the BE thread I guessed he'll end up at South Florida, playing in the same stadium as his brother (as long as Chris re-signs after this new 2 year deal is up; Matt has plenty of work to do).

Last edited by Logan : 01-09-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #89
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
As far as college coaches who made a "successful" jump to the NFL, how about Bobby Ross? Granted, he wasn't great by Jimmy Johnson standards, but he had only 1 losing season in 9 years, and took the Chargers and Lions to a combined 4 playoff appearances, including 1 Super Bowl appearance. And, in retrospect, his 4 years with the Lions look like Jimmy Johnson with the Cowboys compared to where they've been since he left!

He hasn't done shit with Army.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #90
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I certainly don't have too much knowledge of the Louisville staff, but I have wondered why Louisiville didn't just promote Offensive Coordinator Paul Petrino, Bobby's brother, to take the head coaching job and basically keep the current staff and recruiting class together. It may be that he will go with his brother to the pros, but I've read that he was calling recruits as of yesterday so that doesn't seem to be the case.

Maybe Kragthorpe is a better coach and would be better to have in the long run, but promoting from within would've kept everything together in the short term. It's less than a month until signing day.

Kargthorpe has been a hot name for a couple of Seasons now, albeit one that is still affordable. Perhaps the Louisville Brass thinks that makes them look better long term, as opposed to promoting an unknown commodity from within. Also a good chance Paul goes with Bobby....

Still I like the idea of trying to keep continuity of your staff if the chemistry is solid....It has worked real well for Boise State over the last decade or so.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #91
Swaggs
Coordinator

There is a good chance that Paul Petrino could be joining Nick Saban's staff in Alabama, from what I hear.

Also, from the film and reports I have read on Matt Simms, he is going to have to be very well coached and improve a great deal to be a good, DIA starting quarterback. He could develop into a very good quarterback, but I don't necessarily think that he is a guy that is "sure-thing" starting QB if he ends up at any of the schools that are pursuing him.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #92
Ragone
Pro Rookie

The reason Paul Petrino didn't get promoted was basically his family ties..

Fool me once shame on you.. Fool me twice shame on me

I'm fairly thrilled that they managed to hire who they wanted so quickly, it bodes well for the program and recruiting

Last edited by Ragone : 01-09-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #93
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I've also heard that Paul Petrino didn't really do all that much at UL, as Bobby Petrino was the one running the offense.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:35 AM   #94
Easy Mac

I love this insider info from Todd McShay:

Quote:
Petrino recruiting ... again: A source close to the situation says that Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino is putting the "hard sell" on QB Brian Brohm and RB Michael Bush to return to school for the 2007 season. Brohm, considered a mid-first round prospect, reportedly is weighing his options and should decide early next week. Bush, on the other hand, is expected to make his decision public over the weekend. Bush is said to be leaning towards returning to school after suffering a season-ending broken leg in the opener versus Kentucky.

So either:
A) McShay was given info that the source thought was true,
B) McShay was intentionally given shit,
C) McShay makes this stuff up.

Assuming its #1, how big of an ass does that make Bobby Petrino? 4 days after this story, Mora was fired, but that was a foregone conclusion. Patrino was hired 11 days after this story. I know contracts can get done fast, but he had to have been contacted by the time this story was up. He had to know he was seriously looking at other jobs. Yet he's telling these two guys to stay for him? WTF.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:02 AM   #95
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
He hasn't done shit with Army.

Um...no offense, but it's Army. And we were discussing college coaches who made a successful jump to the NFL. His time at Army really doesn't factor into that discussion, although it shouldn't be held against him that he can't field a successful football team at a service academy during a war.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #96
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

So either:

Assuming its #1, how big of an ass does that make Bobby Petrino? 4 days after this story, Mora was fired, but that was a foregone conclusion. Patrino was hired 11 days after this story. I know contracts can get done fast, but he had to have been contacted by the time this story was up. He had to know he was seriously looking at other jobs. Yet he's telling these two guys to stay for him? WTF.

Well I don't have the answer to what you're looking for...but I'm not sure Bush's decision to go pro was a wise one. He's going to be a late 1st round pick at best, unless he has a monster combine. I would've thought it would be a better idea for him to come back, show everyone he's healthy, all while being the featured part of a Brohm-less offense.

Brohm should go though, even if he's stuck as a late 1st rounder. He's flirted with injuries twice without them being serious. Plus the longer he stays in college, the better chance more observers will notice his terrible pocket presence and happy feet.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #97
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

So either:

One of the things Blank mentioned on the radio this morning was that while he and McKay made the decision to talk to Petrino prior to the new year, they didn't contact either him or his agent until after the Orange Bowl.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #98
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
One of the things Blank mentioned on the radio this morning was that while he and McKay made the decision to talk to Petrino prior to the new year, they didn't contact either him or his agent until after the Orange Bowl.

True, but Petrino also has had his foot out the door for 3 years. If I'm a Louisville fan, I'm happy that constant distraction is gone, while also getting a coach who seems really solid in Kragthorpe.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #99
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Well I don't have the answer to what you're looking for...but I'm not sure Bush's decision to go pro was a wise one. He's going to be a late 1st round pick at best, unless he has a monster combine. I would've thought it would be a better idea for him to come back, show everyone he's healthy, all while being the featured part of a Brohm-less offense.

Based on what I read, it's an even worse decision than you think. He's apparently been told that he could go anywhere from late 1st to 3rd. However, consider these snippets from the ESPN.com article:

"Bush told reporters last month that his rehabilitation was going well, though he continues to walk with a slight limp and has yet to begin running.

He is planning to spend the next few months rehabbing the leg in Arizona in hopes of being able to run for NFL scouts prior to April's draft.

"If I can't run in March, maybe I fall to the third," Bush said. "That is a chance I am willing to take."

So we're talking about a guy who still walked with a limp and couldn't run in December (or is that referring to his present condition?), has ruled out participating at the combine (end of February, and he's talking March at the earliest), and is hoping to run for teams at some point prior to the draft. Yikes. I think he's maybe a 2nd rounder only under the best of circumstances and possibly doesn't sniff the 3rd round if things don't go well. I don't think some team is going to say, "Well, he's not completely healed yet and he ran The Clarett 40, but scouts told him he'd be no worse than a 3rd rounder, so I guess we have to take one for the league."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-10-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #100
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Based on what I read, it's an even worse decision than you think. He's apparently been told that he could go anywhere from late 1st to 3rd. However, consider these snippets from the ESPN.com article:

"Bush told reporters last month that his rehabilitation was going well, though he continues to walk with a slight limp and has yet to begin running.

He is planning to spend the next few months rehabbing the leg in Arizona in hopes of being able to run for NFL scouts prior to April's draft.

"If I can't run in March, maybe I fall to the third," Bush said. "That is a chance I am willing to take."

So we're talking about a guy who, in the second week of January, still walks with a limp and can't run, has ruled out participating at the combine (end of February, and he's talking March at the earliest), and is hoping to run for teams at some point prior to the draft. Yikes. I think he's maybe a 2nd rounder only under the best of circumstances and possibly doesn't sniff the 3rd round if things don't go well. I don't think some team is going to say, "Well, he not completely healed yet and he ran The Clarett 40, but scouts told him he'd be no worse than a 3rd rounder, so I guess we have to take one for the league."

Not to mention that running back is not a highly valued position overall in the NFL. Guy got some bad advice somewhere. Reading that it sounds like a miracle for this guy to be a day 1 pick.