Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #51
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular View Post
When Doyle took office in 2003, in-state undergrad tuition at UW was $2213 a semester. This fall, it is $3365. I know Doyle is not fully responsible (the Board of Regents and the other professional politicians in the legislature are also to blame), but that 52% increase is something voters should look at when Doyle tries to make himself out to be the savior of higher education. I would argue that 52% is an unreasonable increase.

I'd place most of the blame on the legislature and the BoR for the increase, honestly, along with economic factors such as price tending to increase over time, etc.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #52
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I didn't realize they practiced polygamy, but I thought that was already illegal.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #53
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
The polygamy bit mostly as lordscarlet, though I'm wondering if the fact there's a bridal price involved plays into it as well.

Isn't that why I bought that freaking ring?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:45 PM   #54
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Nope, the punchline to all of this is the detail that I haven't mentioned about his opponent. He's a convicted bank robber, a real-life honest-to-goodness- did-federal-prison time for walking into a bank with a pistol & robbing the place.

My wife thought that made him perfect for the job.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #55
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There was a little excitement today in the Texas House race in my district. The incumbent is Patrick Rose, who has been elected to his seat twice already. He earned the nickname "Runnin' Rose" as one of the state legislators that left the state when the redistricting measure was trying to be forced upon them. In 2004, his opponent's whole platform would be that he wouldn't ever run from votes like the coward 'Runnin' Rose'. He figured this would be enough to win. It wasn't and he was defeated pretty soundly.

Fast forward to today. No one has heard from this guy since his unsuccessful run. While Rose was doing some last minute campaigning this afternoon, the guy walks up and cold-cocks Rose. He later gave himself up to the authorities. Strange stuff.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #56
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
There was a little excitement today in the Texas House race in my district. The incumbent is Patrick Rose, who has been elected to his seat twice already. He earned the nickname "Runnin' Rose" as one of the state legislators that left the state when the redistricting measure was trying to be forced upon them. In 2004, his opponent's whole platform would be that he wouldn't ever run from votes like the coward 'Runnin' Rose'. He figured this would be enough to win. It wasn't and he was defeated pretty soundly.

Fast forward to today. No one has heard from this guy since his unsuccessful run. While Rose was doing some last minute campaigning this afternoon, the guy walks up and cold-cocks Rose. He later gave himself up to the authorities. Strange stuff.

All Texas races should have at least 1 fist fight. should be a law
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:20 AM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

To finish my story on the thread I started ... Good news, as the candidate without a felony conviction wins in Monticello by 70 votes (363-293). But it wasn't without some drama.

He trailed 205-189 after the votes cast today were counted. Trailed by 18 votes after half the early/absentee votes were counted (they split them into two groups & counted them separately to speed the process). Just like I've done most election nights for the past 12 years, I was on the courthouse steps waiting for the numbers to be posted.

Our candidate was pretty much resigned to his fate, when somebody (an observer I think) wandered out the front door, announced to whoever was listening that there would be a runoff in a school board race and then added, "oh yeah, Russell won the city race". He was standing about 10 feet away but totally missed that whole monologue ... but the rest of us didn't. One enthusiastic young guy (who I gathered is planning to run for a council seat next year) let out a war whoop and swept up our guy in a bear hug, leaving the new Mayor Pro Tempore more than a little bewildered. We quickly explained what the uproar was about & it was absolutely delightful to see the range of expressions that he went through over the next few moments: deflation, confusion, disbelief, shock, relief, and finally elation.

I can't think of a more deserving candidate to win a seat like that, a person who has always been involved in politics, volunteering, campaigning, supporting but running himself for the very first time in his early 60's. I think at this point I'm happier for him to have won than I would have been to have won myself a few years ago. He simply deserves it more than I probably ever would.

Now the real fun begins in a week or so, at the next city council meeting. Once he's sworn in (filling an unexpired term, so he takes office ASAP), the mayor will apparently announce her intention to resign effective at the beginning of the year. That will leave less than one year on her term, which opens up a third option for her post: special election, appointment by council to fill the seat OR simply do nothing. The latter seems to be the current plan, which basically makes tonight's winner de facto mayor while retaining his vote on the city council (the actual mayor only has a vote in the event of a tie).
Even that manuever may have some drama, since it seems likely that he would recuse himself from voting on a solution to the mayoral vacancy & the makeup of the rest of the council is very likely to deadlock 2-2 on any proposal ... meaning that even if they do nothing, the Mayor P.T. assumes the duties of Mayor.

You gotta love small town politics ... or at least you do when they go the way you want them to
Old 11-08-2006, 05:46 AM   #58
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My cousin won his bid to the state house by about 4000 votes.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:01 AM   #59
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I didn't get to post in this yesterday, but it's pretty funny. A cousin of my wife's, who has been in the U.S. Congress and both the state House and Senate in SC, came out of retirement to run for the local school board. He won. The funny thing was seeing people whining about it being "not fair" that he was running.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #60
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
My boss is up for election. If she loses, probably 3/4 of my coworkers will be replaced.

Well, my boss lost. Should be an interesting transition over the next couple of months. Not a happy day in the office.