Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #51
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Kevin Smith movies are enjoyable. Nothing wrong with just wanting to be entertained and hear a lot of New Jersey references once in a while.

I'm probably the lone guy who likes Mallrats best.

i liked mallrats just fine...the bad acting was amusing to me....clerks 1 had its moments, i personally love the hockey scene where he screams about only having one ball, where other scenes like the guy with the eggs and the funeral scene were both meh. Dogma is probably my favorite V.A. movie because it actually has decent acting and a decent plot (the alan rickman parts are pretty good, and alanis morrisette as God is a good bit).

As for Chasing Amy....i thought it sucked...watched it once, will never watch it again. Joey Adams has the most annoying voice short of Fran Drescher on the planet, and i thought the story was predictable and stupid

saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #52
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
Dogma is probably my favorite V.A. movie because it actually has decent acting and a decent plot (the alan rickman parts are pretty good, and alanis morrisette as God is a good bit).

Linda Fiorentino is absolutely brutally bad. I think she turns in the worst acting performance of anyone in any of the Kevin Smith movies. I like the movie when i first saw it, but thought it was terrible upon rewatching.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #53
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Linda Fiorentino is absolutely brutally bad. I think she turns in the worst acting performance of anyone in any of the Kevin Smith movies. I like the movie when i first saw it, but thought it was terrible upon rewatching.

yeah, but she was hot.

as for the worst performances ever, affleck in mallrats was utterly horrendous, and lets not forget that shannon doherty was in that too (although also hot)
Old 07-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #54
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I like Dogma as well, but Fiorentino's performance is terrible. I'd rate hers as the second worst performance in any of Smith's movies.

Regarding hyping movies...I try very hard to give reviews only slightly off of center. A simple "I think you'll like it" is about as far as I'll go. I've had so many movies fail to live up to hype that I try to avoid the same situation.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #55
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
yeah, but she was hot.

as for the worst performances ever, affleck in mallrats was utterly horrendous, and lets not forget that shannon doherty was in that too (although also hot)

Neither is close to the worst in that movie. Jeremy London, baby...
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #56
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Pretty well how I feel.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #57
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
yeah, but she was hot.

No.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #58
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
and lets not forget that shannon doherty was in that too (although also hot)
Is that skank still hot? I'm sure she's an absolute train wreck by now.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #59
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus
Is that skank still hot? I'm sure she's an absolute train wreck by now.
havent seen her lately, but mallrats was in like 1997 or 98...i thought she was still pretty good then
Old 07-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #60
KWhit
Coordinator

Didn't care for Clerks at all. Some of the dialogue was funny, but it takes a lot more than that to make a good movie, IMO.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:58 AM   #61
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
8-minute standing ovation. I'm looking forward to it.
Jeez, you could pave the road from here to Hollywood with all the movies that got a huge reception at Cannes and were complete tank-jobs in the US.

Cannes standing "O" = squadoosh

Last edited by Toddzilla : 07-06-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 AM   #62
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Jeez, you could pave the road from here to Hollywood with all the movies that got a huge reception at Cannes and were complete tank-jobs in the US.

Cannes standing "O" = squadoosh

Basically it means that some people think it is not crap. I can't imagine even a movie like this doing well at Cannes unless some people in attendance were fans of the earlier movies. This movie probably won't earn many new fans or much new acclaim, but if it satisfies the current fans, that means there is a decent change that I'll enjoy it.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #63
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Count me in among the few mallrats fans in this thread. Then again, I was working in a record store in a mall at the time. Oddly enough, there really was a self contained sub culture as was portrayed in the movie and many of the jokes hit home, which made them funnier to me.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote