Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #51
Travis
Pro Rookie

As much as I like Markkanen, he'll never be a #1 in the NHL. They tried this year, heck, they pretty much handed him the job when Conklin fell flat. He did do well during the strike and played a lot of games over there which increased his support here. The knock on Jussi is that he can be great for stretches, but doesn't stand up to the rigors of a full season. He showed during the Cup finals how good he can be, and while everybody hoped the extended showing during the strike helped him turn the corner for consistency, he didn't back that up with his play this season.

We have two young goalies in Deslauriers and Dubnyk, and the big problem this year was no dedicated minor league team, which will hopefully be rectified next year. Either way, they won't be ready next season, neither will anybody we draft this year, so the question is how long do you keep putting a bandage on things in hopes that one of the two young guys will be ready in 2-3 years?

I'd definitely pull for letting Roloson go, saving the pick, and aggressively pursuing options in that 28-32 range (closer to 28 being preferable of course) and spend some of the money that will be available. With the money gained from the extra playoff time, Edmonton should be able to raise their payroll in accordance with whatever cap increase there is, and a solid goalie from start to finish should mean we finish 3-5 rather than 6-8 next season.

And who knows, if we can get home ice advantage in the playoffs, things get a whole lot more interesting.

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #52
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Luongo, Giguere, Gerber, Legace, Hasek, the SJ goalie whose name escapes me, Roloson...what a great year to be looking for a goalie for once.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #53
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Carolina's got a bit of work to do going into this offseason if they want another crack at the Cup next year.

*Just about all of the defense is at least RFA (Commodore) if not UFA (Kaberle, Wallin, Ward) or probably retiring (Wesley).

*Beyond that, RFAs include Cole, Staal, LaRose, and Williams. Cole, Staal, and Williams are must-have priorities to re-sign, particularly Staal if they're going to the effort of perhaps trading away a stud defenseman like Johnson for Staal's kid brother. I'm guessing Staal will get to name his number if that's the case.

*Gerber did a wonderful job carrying us to the playoffs, but I doubt he'll want to stay to be a backup to Ward after the year he had, so he's probably out.

*The rentals of Weight and Recchi are probably also going to be returned to their respective teams now that they've achieved their goals.

*Cullen is the other significant FA left. He'll be a target for a lot of teams after this year's performance.

*Oh, yeah. Karmanos has said he'll match whatever offer anyone makes for Laviolette, so if the indications are true that Boston wants him, it'll be his decision to go for personal rather than monetary reasons. It would suck royal if he left after all he did this year. The guy is a flat-out winner and never got a fair shake on Long Island from what I can tell.

*Remainder under contract include Brindy, Hedican, Stillman, Vasicek, Kevin Adams, Ray Whitney, and Ladd. It's a decent chance that Hedican may head into the sunset after all he's gone through in recent years. Brind'Amour is probably back for another year, but probably will retire not too long from now. All the others are pretty young and Ward and Ladd are still baby-faced.

So, it's a good core, but the crucial priorities will be to keep Staal, Cole, and Laviolette basically at whatever price it takes and then go from there. Normally it'd be nice to say cap space isn't an issue, but if Karmanos continues to work things so that he stays on the receiving end of revenue sharing, then our cap is actually much lower than the expected $44 million.

I hope we turn into the New England Patriots and not the Florida Marlins.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:04 AM   #54
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

one big sigh of relief from me - Sakic has re-upped for 1 year, $5.75. He no doubt could have landed a bigger/longer deal if he wanted to look around. Colorado still needs another top center (*cough* Arnott *cough*) and all 3 key defensemen (Blake, Clark, Skraskins) are FAs.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:21 AM   #55
mooreadamc
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
one big sigh of relief from me - Sakic has re-upped for 1 year, $5.75. He no doubt could have landed a bigger/longer deal if he wanted to look around. Colorado still needs another top center (*cough* Arnott *cough*) and all 3 key defensemen (Blake, Clark, Skraskins) are FAs.

Arnott would be a great signing. Good call!
mooreadamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:05 PM   #56
Karim
College Starter

Taken from HF from a well-respected poster:

I spent the majority of yesterday afternoon having beverages with an NHL scout , and I followed that up with a phone call to another one who I highly respect - they're both heading to Vancouver tomorrow.

Heard lots of interesting stuff, including that Fischer is the biggest "idiot" of the draft. Mr. Fischer spent the majority of his combine interviews espousing his greatness and putting down his coaching - and I mean "really" putting down his coaching. This was not an isolated thing - Fischer managed to turn off pretty much every team he interviewed, and the scouts had a running joke going after awhile. One scout told me that he ran into a colleague partway through the interviews, and he said "Did you interview the idiot yet?" He asked who it was, and the fellow scout replied 'Oh, you'll know when you talk to him."

The next time he met scouts in the hallway, others began talking about whether others had interviewed "the idiot" - he was perhaps
the most obnoxious interview they had ever had. It became a running joke.

Both scouts concurred that there's not a lot of difference between the 2nd and 7th prospects. The one that spends a lot of time out west was quite impressed with Mueller, and would be tempted to pick him over both Kessel and Brassard. "They're all so close," he said. "But I saw Mueller play some outstanding games. He's really smart and skilled."

Anyway - Berglund got a big thumbs down from these scouts - they're not sold on him being a first rounder, let alone a top 20 pick. Not smart with the puck; has a tendency to try to go end-to-end with the puck. Not always willing to put in the effort.

Stewart will be a great pick at 16 if he's there, but these scouts doubt that he'll last that long. BTW - both said they would take Stewart over Frolik.

I asked both of them who their top defenceman is after Johnson -
- both of them said Summers and Sanguinetti. I asked them if Summers was a top 20 pick, and they both concurred.

As for Little - they both have him in their top 10.

Okposo wasn't as popular as I thought he would be - in fact one of the scouts has Okposo rated after Little, Tlusty, and Sheppard.
"He's an enigma," said one scout. "I saw him play four times - he didn't seem to have a defined role. He didn't score, he didn't playmake...and had one shot on goal. I wasn't very impressed."

I asked the same scout about Kessel - he had him ranked 7th. "I don't like him," said the scout. "I see selfishness. I could see him maybe being on his third team before he's a star; that type of player." The scout concurred that Kessel was one of the players at the under-18s that didn't sign the sweater for the disabled equipment trainer that Jack Johnson asked his teammates to sign. "Johnson got him to sign it in a hurry."

Grabner was considered a top 20 pick by both scouts, they like his skill.

Neither scout has Giroux rated in the top 20, but they like him in the first round. Vishnevsky and Williams are not listed in either scouts' top 30.

Foligno versus White - they like both players, but Foligno is considered to be better. "He's a better skater than White and smarter" said one scout.

These are the scouts' top 17 picks:

Johnson
Staal
Toews
Backstrom
Mueller
Kessel
Brassard
Little
Tlusty
Sheppard
Okposo
Stewart
Sanguinetti
Frolik
Summers
Bernier
Grabner

The more I hear about Summers; the more I think he'll be a good pick. Both think he'll be picked in the top 20.

McBain got mixed reviews a solid character but lacking the defensive skills/size to be a first rounder. Maxwell was also not considered to be first-round material, same with Clutterbuck.

Anisimov, Varlamov and Alexandrov are the most coveted Russians with both scouts - Vasyunov too much of a hot and cold player to be considered for the first round.

Burki and Geoffrion are not first rounders according to these scouts, nor is Emmerton, but they all should go in the 2nd round.

Lewis - 3rd rounder. Said a scout: "He's not the most willing guy."

Nigel Williams - neither are fans. Said one scout "He doesn't have a clue how to play defence. Great athlete, but that's it."

Wishart - they see him going in the first round, but both have problems with his first step. "He's slow footed," said one, which surprised me. Neither is impressed by his aggressiveness, or lack thereof.

Vishnevsky - "Some shifts he looks like a world beater, so much skating talent, but he's really poor in his own zone; he just bails out. Too much of a risk to take in the first round"

Mathias - A solid second rounder after his Under 18 performance, not necessarily before. "I like him - he competes," said a scout. "He's non-stop."

~~~~~

And here are some interviews from ISS scouts:
http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media...-13%2000:00:00
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:15 PM   #57
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
Luongo, Giguere, Gerber, Legace, Hasek, the SJ goalie whose name escapes me, Roloson...what a great year to be looking for a goalie for once.

Don't forget about Martin Biron either. Buffalo will be looking to trade up in the draft and will be dangling him and one of their surplus forwards for a top-12 pick.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #58
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Calling the Mr. Hockey in Minnesota an idiot? Never head anything bad about him before...

He probably asked the scout why he isn't playing hockey or something.

Edit: Another thing. What kind of scout goes around yapping about how big of an "idiot" a kid is? Isn't that something you would want to keep to yourself as a professional scout (to give you advanced knowledge)?

Last edited by sovereignstar : 06-21-2006 at 07:28 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #59
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Fischer is young, Lucia will knock that attitude out of him or he will be sitting.

I could tell you who the real "idiot" is in that group is, but, better to just leave it alone.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #60
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Edit: Another thing. What kind of scout goes around yapping about how big of an "idiot" a kid is? Isn't that something you would want to keep to yourself as a professional scout (to give you advanced knowledge)?
Why bother, if it's an open joke among all the scouts you're talking to?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:26 AM   #61
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
This thread already? C'mon! Let me savor things for a while longer, will ya?
hxxp://www.theonion.com/content/node/49761
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:41 AM   #62
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

There were rumblings that Aleksey Morozov could return to the Pens after a 2 year stint in Russia. However, today's Pittsburgh Post Gazette confirms that won't be happening..

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06173/700272-61.stm

Quote:
A story in Soviet Sport reported Morozov, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in the NHL July 1, signed a three-year contract, with no escape clause, with Ak Bars Kazan.

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #63
woodfeld
n00b

SI.com's Allan Muir has his prediction for next year's Stanley Cup up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nhl/index.html
woodfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:50 AM   #64
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfeld
SI.com's Allan Muir has his prediction for next year's Stanley Cup up.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nhl/index.html

I find it utterly hilarious that Muir is now on the Sabres bandwagon, saying "what's not to like about this team" when earlier this year he was bad-mouthing them every chance he got. He especially got on the case of co-captain Daniel Briere, saying he's among the most hated players in the league (supposedly because Boston's Nick Boynton called him a diver) and pretty much said he made it impossible for people to cheer for Buffalo.

Now I'm not sure what opposing fans think of Briere but he is BELOVED in Buffalo not only because of his high level of play but because of his endless charity work. He's a great kid.

Who knows...maybe Muir is hoping the 'SI jinx' hits the Sabres.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 06-22-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #65
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
hxxp://www.theonion.com/content/node/49761

Saw that this morning. Printed it out and have it on the wall. I can definitely laugh about it now that my team won it.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #66
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

If you're a draft nerd like me, check out the following link:

http://www.hfboards.com/attachment.p...chmentid=15833

It's the full 2006 NHL Draft media guide...great reading!!!

Last edited by NoSkillz : 06-22-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #67
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wolfpack totally denied you your first dola. I am sorry NoSkillz, but apparently when it comes to dolaing you handle is quite apt.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #68
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola.

Great link by the way. Thanks.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-22-2006, 11:48 AM   #69
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Wolfpack totally denied you your first dola. I am sorry NoSkillz, but apparently when it comes to dolaing you handle is quite apt.

Yeah, had to edit my dola...just can't seem to get it right!!! Damn you Wolfpack!

Last edited by NoSkillz : 06-22-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #70
bbor
Pro Starter

Wow...Kessel has really dropped stock.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #71
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Wow...Kessel has really dropped stock.

The same concerns that have followed Kessel the last few years continue to haunt him today. I was a huge Kessel fan, and I still think he'll be fine, but watching him play right now, I just don't see the greatness I once thought he had.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #72
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Gosh, I'm full of useless hockey information today!

This one is for DD and all the Avalanche fans out there. Seems Jose Theodore hooked up with Paris Hilton at the MuchMusic Video Awards this weekend and his girlfriend (and mother of his child) isn't too pleased...

http://torontosun.com/Entertainment/...47345-sun.html

Pictures here: hxxp://www.tmz.com/2006/06/19/paris-she-shoots-she-scores/
Old 06-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #73
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
Yeah, had to edit my dola...just can't seem to get it right!!! Damn you Wolfpack!

Hey, it's not my fault you couldn't type faster.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:31 PM   #74
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
The same concerns that have followed Kessel the last few years continue to haunt him today. I was a huge Kessel fan, and I still think he'll be fine, but watching him play right now, I just don't see the greatness I once thought he had.

Would Modano be a fair comparison, if things break right and he reaches his potential?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #75
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm
Would Modano be a fair comparison, if things break right and he reaches his potential?

Could be a fair assessment. Kess, like Modano, can set his teamates up, and when needed he can put it in the net. Intangibles might be a different story.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #76
bbor
Pro Starter

I don 't think Kessel has Modano speed though.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #77
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Kessel < Jon Toews
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #78
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Could be a fair assessment. Kess, like Modano, can set his teamates up, and when needed he can put it in the net. Intangibles might be a different story.

Yeah, was talking skill set only, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
I don 't think Kessel has Modano speed though.

I thought Kessel's speed was one of his top assets?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #79
mooreadamc
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
Gosh, I'm full of useless hockey information today!

This one is for DD and all the Avalanche fans out there. Seems Jose Theodore hooked up with Paris Hilton at the MuchMusic Video Awards this weekend and his girlfriend (and mother of his child) isn't too pleased...

http://torontosun.com/Entertainment/...47345-sun.html

Pictures here: hxxp://www.tmz.com/2006/06/19/paris-she-shoots-she-scores/

This is on page 1 . And as an Avs fan, not sure how to take this news.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #80
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hmm. As a Detroit fan, I must applaud Ms. Hilton and giver her a hearty "Yo go, Girl!" I remember a few years back she was spotted with Urlacher in Vegas or something. Urlacher struggled a bit after that whole ordeal. Hopefully the same will be true of Theodore only without the return to glory that Urlacher experienced this year.

Go, Paris.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #81
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreadamc
This is on page 1 .

I can't do anything right today...NoSkillz indeed.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #82
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

quit dogging Modano. he's getting old.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #83
Karim
College Starter

Theodore's girlfriend has kicked him out and ended their 8-year relationship...
http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2006/...647540-cp.html

Theodore's girlfriend (far right)
http://www.jdrf.ca/images/French/Ver...20Cloutier.jpg

Well done, Jose.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #84
mooreadamc
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Theodore's girlfriend has kicked him out and ended their 8-year relationship...
http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2006/...647540-cp.html

Theodore's girlfriend (far right)
http://www.jdrf.ca/images/French/Ver...20Cloutier.jpg

Well done, Jose.

Good for the girlfriend. Now Jose looks like the biggest piece of poo around

This is horrible:

Quote:
The three-month-old girl had been in a children's hospital since being born prematurely.

Way to support a family Jose.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #85
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, the original hypothesis has been tested by the rigors of the scientific method. It has now become a proven theorem.

French Canadian + Goalie + Colorado = DICK.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-22-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #86
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Kessel is not less then Toews, he had 12 more points in 3 less games then Toews. If Kessels stock has dropped, I think that's only to the benefit of the team he drops to.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:21 PM   #87
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, Lidstrom bagged his 4th Norris trophy and Datsyuk won the Lady Byng. Well done, fellas.

Lidstrom joins Bobby Orr, Doug Harvey, and Ray Borque as the only defensemen ever to win more than 4 Norris Trophies. Impressive stuff. This will surely not lower his price tag.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:48 AM   #88
Pyser
Pro Rookie

looks like a minor league team to me. ironic since the first one was based on a disney movie, i know...
Old 06-23-2006, 02:22 AM   #89
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser

looks like a minor league team to me. ironic since the first one was based on a disney movie, i know...

To each their own. I think it looks terrific (and since I'm a Ducks fan, I guess that matters a little more ).

Remember, the most important thing is it ain't Disneyish no more. And the orange looks distinctive, IMO, although it isn't the dominant color in either uniform. And no freakin' weird looking Duck character, and no more "Mighty" in the name. Admit it--it's an improvement.

Congrats, BTW, to Selanne on the Masterson, and better luck next time to Nieds, who I thought was as good a candidate for the Norris as Lidstrom (but there can be only one winner).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:56 AM   #90
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, the original hypothesis has been tested by the rigors of the scientific method. It has now become a proven theorem.

seriously, what a dick move. and for Paris Hilton? I mean, if it was someone who was actually attractive, I could understand...
Old 06-23-2006, 06:57 AM   #91
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I have to say I like the Ducks jerseys quite a bit. interesting colors, and that striping is awesome.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:50 AM   #92
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I like everything about those jerseys except for the flashy gold stripe. I don't understand why teams are going to that metallic looking material (Nuggets in b-ball did it too), it just looks dumb if you ask me.

Otherwise a good design for the logo, and the red piping is neat. I still think I like the old ones better though (but I've never hated on the Ducks for their ties to Disney, its just never bugged me).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #93
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'm glad the ducks lost the Mighty. There should be a law against that stuff...although it could be funny.

Introducing...your Dallas Cars!!! Brought to you by Pixar.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:05 AM   #94
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm
There were rumblings that Aleksey Morozov could return to the Pens after a 2 year stint in Russia. However, today's Pittsburgh Post Gazette confirms that won't be happening..

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06173/700272-61.stm

PG now reversing their story-- Morozov has signed a 3 year deal, but it does contain an out clause for his to continue negotiating with NHL teams.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:35 AM   #95
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger

seriously, what a dick move. and for Paris Hilton? I mean, if it was someone who was actually attractive, I could understand...

DD, you live close enough to Montreal to know he's not the brightest knife in the drawer. The guy's a frigging moron. That move is just in line with who he is...

FM
Old 06-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #96
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i just dont like the ducks word spelled out like that. it looks bushleague to me.

i liked the cursive anaheim writing on black. i thought they could keep it more like that, even with the name change.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #97
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

LOL!

Old 06-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #98
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

LOL!

Old 06-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #99
Travis
Pro Rookie

I really wish that they would have changed their name completely. Even at just the Ducks, most people are still going to associate it the same way, even with a new jersey, fresh design, etc, etc. They came in as the Mighty Ducks, named after the movie, and even as the Ducks, it's not like they've removed the association.

If they made the move just for a fresh look and to make some money on new jersey sales, fine. But if any part of this was to try and create a new identity and get rid of the original theme, I find it hard to believe that this will do the trick.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #100
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Well, I think dropping the "Mighty" part and just going to "Anaheim Ducks" does wonders. It was such a travesty that the NHL awarded a team that turned into just a commercial vehicle for the owning corporation. It's cute when it's a kid's movie, but patently absurd as an identity for a franchise in the professional sports world.

I don't think they could necessarily have divorced themselves entirely of the identity, though, because for good or ill, they are the Ducks to themselves, the city, and the league. At least they won't have that cartoon logo anymore. Wonder if the Duck mascot will undergo a change, as well, or will they keep his head and just give him a new uniform?