Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #51
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's a vid of Robin Williams demoing Spore at E3. Good stuff! He's creating stuff you KNOW others are going to be creating...

hxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3DRiREBm9Q&eurl=http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=17426
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #52
Critch
lolzcat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6638771.stm

Delayed until late 2008 now.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #53
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

This isn't the news I wanted to see this morning!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #54
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'd expect the problem here is that this is more of a programming exercise for Wright than a concerted effort to make an actual game. Every time I read/hear him interviewed about Spore, he never really explains why it should have appear from a gaming standpoint, other than curiosity.

That's not to say it isn't really, really neat and interesting, but I think its delivery date will continue to suffer as long as Wright views it as a way to expand his programming prowess as opposed to producing something for people to play, for real.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #55
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I'd expect the problem here is that this is more of a programming exercise for Wright than a concerted effort to make an actual game. Every time I read/hear him interviewed about Spore, he never really explains why it should have appear from a gaming standpoint, other than curiosity.

That's not to say it isn't really, really neat and interesting, but I think its delivery date will continue to suffer as long as Wright views it as a way to expand his programming prowess as opposed to producing something for people to play, for real.

I tend to agree with this. I was reading an article on 3D printers of all things and it mentioned how EA wanted to be able to have Spore print 3D images. I mean like WTF? If they really want to go there they either have massive scope creep or they've completely taken their eye off the ball.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #56
SunDevil
College Prospect

Not a surprise about the delay.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=217805

Quote:
Apolyton reports that Soren Johnson, the co-lead designer on Civilization III and lead designer on Civilization IV, has left Firaxis Games on April 2nd, after nearly seven years working at Firaxis.

Soren Johnson has returned to the West Coast and joined California-based Electronic Arts. He previously worked there as a programming intern for sports titles Knockout Kings 2000 and 2001 for the PlayStation.

Currently, he is working on the cross-platform "Spore", which the game's designer Will Wright has referred to as a Massively Single-Player game.

Soren is a very talented game designer and made lots of truly significant contribution to the Civilization series. We wish him the best of luck at EA!

You do not have the lead designer for Civ IV and co-lead designer for Civ III join the Spore team this late in the process unless you need some serious development still left to do.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #57
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Whoa - I liked Soren a lot (his influence on Civ4 is clear). It will be interesting to see how Firaxis reacts.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #58
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

That makes me a sad panda.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #59
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

MaximumSpore!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #60
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

You could have said the same thing about SimCity or the Sims though -- those weren't obvious 'games' either, though they obviously both had great appeal once released. (disclaimer, loved SimCity, never got the appeal of the Sims, not sure what I think about Spore).
Old 05-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #61
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, neither of these videos are loading up real easy for me. One (the 35 minute one) loads up really slow. The second one (youtube) justs tops loading after 25 seconds. And what little I have seen looks unspectacular. Am I missing something and you guys are having fun with a stupid game concept, or is there anything seirous to this?

I sure as heck am not trying to load any more stupid videos.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #62
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Okay, neither of these videos are loading up real easy for me. One (the 35 minute one) loads up really slow. The second one (youtube) justs tops loading after 25 seconds. And what little I have seen looks unspectacular. Am I missing something and you guys are having fun with a stupid game concept, or is there anything seirous to this?

I sure as heck am not trying to load any more stupid videos.

I sat and watched the entire E3 video Chief, and from what i saw Spore looks to be buttlods of wasted ours of unadultered fun.

The main gimmik in the game is that everything anyone who plays the game creates gets uploaded to a central location and when you start a game you can bring all that info in to your game so you can explore a "user-created universe"

This is where the Massively Single player idea comes from. You never actually interact with anyone else, but you get to interact with all their creations.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #63
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I sat and watched the entire E3 video Chief, and from what i saw Spore looks to be buttlods of wasted ours of unadultered fun.

The main gimmik in the game is that everything anyone who plays the game creates gets uploaded to a central location and when you start a game you can bring all that info in to your game so you can explore a "user-created universe"

This is where the Massively Single player idea comes from. You never actually interact with anyone else, but you get to interact with all their creations.

Hmm, I could see having fun with that. I would probably get a better feel for it if my Internet connection was better. Ugh.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:54 PM   #64
duff88
College Prospect

Just found out about this game for the first time, don't know where I've been...

My reaction:

I haven't been this excited for a video game since EHM:FE!
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:09 AM   #65
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

DAMN YOU TO HELL for bumping this thread!!!

I thought there was going to be some new news... got all giddy.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 AM   #66
RendeR
Coordinator

Does anyone have ANY new info on Spore? Can we expect this daydream of gaming entertainment anytime soon? I'm starting to wory that it may never happen.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:14 AM   #67
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Does anyone have ANY new info on Spore? Can we expect this daydream of gaming entertainment anytime soon? I'm starting to wory that it may never happen.

I thought I've seen several places that the game is basically done and they are doing testing. April 2008 seems to be the target date with a demo coming a few weeks before...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 12-31-2007, 09:14 AM   #68
MikeVic
Head Coach

Stop bumping!!
Old 01-31-2008, 05:16 PM   #69
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Per EA's Q3 conference call, appears Spore will be targeted for release before the holidays. Appears from what I've been reading that EA has marked this game more to bump sales for them so, while it might be done, it might not be time to release it from a business standpoint.

So, does not appear it will be about anytime in the next 6-8 months would be my guess.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #70
Groundhog
Coordinator

they should bundle it with duke nukem 4eva
Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 PM   #71
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Which holidays?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #72
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
Which holidays?

The next millenium celebrations. You'll still need to wait a year or so to upgrade your gaming rig, though.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #73
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
The next millenium celebrations. You'll still need to wait a year or so to upgrade your gaming rig, though.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #74
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Just stop doing shit to it, my goodness. I've gotten to the point where since he's made us wait this long, I'm going to make him wait for my money and I'll wait long enough were it will be a $20 purchase. Nana na na
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #75
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

In fairness, the game is already finished. However, when they initially started work six years ago they signed an agreement to use songs from Chinese Democracy as the background music.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #76
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Quote:
Just stop doing shit to it, my goodness.

From all accounts Spore, whilst functionally sound, wasn't fun. It's a fine line between engaging strategy game and interesting evolution simulation.

I hope they take as long as they need to make it fun.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #77
stevew
Hall Of Famer

games with maximum customization take awhile to develop. be calm.

LOL about chinese democracy.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #78
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'll get this when it comes out just to support the awesome idea. But I really hope it's a fun game.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #79
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sept. 7th, 2008!

http://www.spore.com/index.php
Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #80
MikeVic
Head Coach

Nice!! But, umm, is it only for PC, DS, and Mac? I could've sworn it was coming out for all the next gen consoles.

I'll get it for PC probably, but still.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #81
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
From all accounts Spore, whilst functionally sound, wasn't fun. It's a fine line between engaging strategy game and interesting evolution simulation.

I hope they take as long as they need to make it fun.

When I saw the demo from g3 that is what I thought.
Nice toy, but I do note see a game.

It was just too open ended....
What can you do other then watch your creatures hop around?

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #82
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
It was just too open ended....
What can you do other then watch your creatures hop around?

? ? ?

Are you sure you weren't just looking at a demo of the creature editor?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #83
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
? ? ?

Are you sure you weren't just looking at a demo of the creature editor?

I don't think so.
It was a couple of years ago, if I remember correctly it was about 15 min long.
He went from microscopic all the way through flying saucers.
There really did not seem to be any point to it other then to see what you ended up with.
I am not into The Sims or Simcity so maybe I am just not the target audience.
As always YMMV

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #84
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
I am not into The Sims or Simcity so maybe I am just not the target audience.
As always YMMV

Prolly not your kind of game, then. Wil Wright makes open ended, sandbox style games. There's almost never any sort of 'goal' except what you decide for yourself.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #85
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Prolly not your kind of game, then. Wil Wright makes open ended, sandbox style games. There's almost never any sort of 'goal' except what you decide for yourself.

Could be.
When I saw the "wasn't fun" comment I though maybe it wasn't just me.

Louis D. Brandeis
Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #86
RendeR
Coordinator

YAY SPORE!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #87
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Augh. I still have my Sim games from Windows 3.1 - Sim Tower, Sim City, etc - but they're all on floppy, and my computer has no floppy drive.

I'll buy them from you! They are 5.25 floppies right?
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 AM   #88
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I'll get this when it comes out just to support the awesome idea. But I really hope it's a fun game.

I did this with Black and White and all it got us was Black and White 2.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #89
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
I did this with Black and White and all it got us was Black and White 2.

That's Peter Molyneux. Whenever he comes out with a new game, I expect it to be great on paper, but poorly executed.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 PM   #90
Bonegavel

Well, Maxis gave SimCity to another dev and looks to have screwed up my favorite sim of all time (I still have the orginal box and disks of SimCity) and Spore, while it looks awesome in theory I'm not seeing much of a game here; open ended or not.

I think Will is spending too much time collecting Soviet-Era aerospace doo-dads and not enough time making games.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #91
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
That's Peter Molyneux. Whenever he comes out with a new game, I expect it to be great on paper, but poorly executed.
Man, I remember when Sim City and Populous came out within a few weeks of each other about 700 years ago. Nice to see the Molyneux vs Wright debate still rages on.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #92
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Well, Maxis gave SimCity to another dev and looks to have screwed up my favorite sim of all time (I still have the orginal box and disks of SimCity) and Spore, while it looks awesome in theory I'm not seeing much of a game here; open ended or not.

I think Will is spending too much time collecting Soviet-Era aerospace doo-dads and not enough time making games.

So that Sim City: Societies game was rather poor then? I don't think I ever tried Sim City 4, that one was meant to be good right?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #93
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Nice to see the Molyneux vs Wright debate still rages on.

Nah.. more debating that if you are using Black & White as a point to not support new ideas then that might be a poor choice given that alot of his games were really trumped up, but fell short. I just come to expect his games now to not live up to all the hype.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #94
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
So that Sim City: Societies game was rather poor then? I don't think I ever tried Sim City 4, that one was meant to be good right?

I have the most fond memories of the first SimCity (dittos for SM's Civilization), but the 4th was a good step forward for the series. I would be playing the SC4 now but the Copy Protection doesn't work with my motherboard (several games have this issue for me).

Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #95
Bonegavel

had to cut that post short...

SimCity 4 is very entertaining and I think the best in the series to date. It was a decent step forward for the series and made me drool thinking of what the SimCity 5 would be able to offer. Sadly, that may not happen or be very far off.

the only hope I have is that the latest wasn't entitled SimCity 5.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #96
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:

Will gets the benefit of the doubt (something Molyneux has completely lost for all eternity) for Spore. He, to date, has never hyped up a game that bombed, and has a long track record of doing pretty well when coming out with these new out-there ideas.

Though he loses a wholllle lot of credibility in my book if Spore winds up blowing goats.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #97
Izulde
Head Coach

Don't even get me started on Molyneux.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #98
cartman
Death Herald

Looks like they will be releasing the Creature Creator separately before the release of the game, so that there will be a bunch of user created content ready to go once the full game is released.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...tember-release
Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #99
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

Rather poor is an understatement. It's awful. I've gone back to playing Sim City 4. With add-ons, it's playable versus Societies which is made for little kids.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:58 AM   #100
darkenigma510
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Rather poor is an understatement. It's awful. I've gone back to playing Sim City 4. With add-ons, it's playable versus Societies which is made for little kids.

I agree. The idea had potential but HORRIBLE execution. I haven't seen one positive review of it.
darkenigma510 is offline   Reply With Quote