Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #51
JeffNights
College Prospect

I really dont want to see the wings move Hudler, the guy is on the rise, and defiantely not for witt.

JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #52
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights
I really dont want to see the wings move Hudler, the guy is on the rise, and defiantely not for witt.

I really don't think Hudler is as good as he's built up. He isn't a fast guy, he does have decent moves but he's not spectacular at anything. I just think he doesn't have that dynamic presence about him, and I'd love to see see Witt on our point come April.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #53
Simms
FOBL Commish

Breaking news on TSN (ie, no article):

Quote:
The Montreal Canadiens have traded goaltender Jose Theodore to the Colorado Avalanche for David Aebischer. More to follow.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #54
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Derek Morris is going...

nowhere. Coyotes signed him to a 3 year extension today.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:50 PM   #55
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Glen Sather is finally doing what he should've a long time ago. Trading Ville Nieminen for a third round pick after picking him up as a free agent for the minimum. This is how teams sustain winning.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #56
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

sweet mother...
Old 03-08-2006, 07:06 PM   #57
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

crap crap crap crap crap
Old 03-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #58
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

guh
Old 03-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #59
samifan24
Pro Starter

Why swap Theodore for Aebischer? It seems like Colorado got the better end of that deal but I don't understand why both teams would want to swap like that anyway.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #60
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
Why swap Theodore for Aebischer? It seems like Colorado got the better end of that deal but I don't understand why both teams would want to swap like that anyway.

I'm not sure I understand either. Huet seems to be on the verge of a big time breakout - why would Montreal want to muddy up the waters a bit (and how odd is it for them to have a French/Swiss goaltending tandem?)

As for my Avs? I've never been a big Aebischer fan. Even in his recent hot streak, he hasn't looked very fundamentally sound. I have said several times this year that for the Avs to have any chance they need to acquire a bonafide #1 who can carry the team at times. Abby is not that. Problem is, I'm not sure that Theodore is that either. I'd love for him to prove me wrong (and isn't he hurt???)

EDIT: worth noting, of course, that Theodore makes $4.5 M, while Abby makes $1.9 M. That at least is part of the answer to the mtl part of the equation.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 03-08-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #61
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Maybe Colorado's trying to get lightning to strike twice? Roy was also chased from Montreal to Colorado after several bad performances.

With Cole's injury, Carolina has been speculated to be interested in some rental wingers to fill in, but the Canes are on a five game winning streak right now and are up in Philly last I checked, so they may not be wanting to rock the boat, either.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:35 PM   #62
Karim
College Starter

From what I've heard, unless you have a 1st round pick in the top ten, it's equivalent to a third rounder. Outside of Kessel, Johnson and Toews, this is the worst draft in years. I think it was a good move for Edmonton.

The rumour is that Montreal is clearing cap space for Bertuzzi...

From all accounts here, Calgary is out of the Jokinen race.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:38 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If this is already posted I've overlooked it, so sorry if it is a duplicate.
http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/03/263092.html

NEW YORK (AP) - The New York Islanders traded second-leading goal scorer Mark Parrish and defenseman Brent Sopel to the Los Angeles Kings on Wednesday night for two prospects.

Parrish, a U.S. Olympian, scored his 24th of the season on Tuesday in New York's shootout victory over New Jersey. Sopel was scratched because the team said he had a bruised knee.

The Islanders are only seven points out of a playoff spot but they trail four teams in the Eastern Conference race.

So with 21 games remaining and the postseason a long shot, outgoing general manager Mike Milbury made a move to make the team younger and cheaper by acquiring defenseman Denis Grebeshkov and left winger Jeff Tambellini, both former first-round picks.

"This is a trade made undoubtedly with an eye on the future of our organization, but we're also very comfortable putting Denis and Jeff right into our lineup and still making a run at the playoffs this season," said Milbury, who will give up his title once a replacement is found.

Tambellini is the son of former Islanders Stanley Cup winner Steve Tambellini, the Vancouver Canucks assistant GM who is a potential candidate to replace Milbury.

Grebeshkov, 22, was the Kings' first-round pick in 2002. The 21-year-old Tambellini was chosen the following year with the 27th pick.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-08-2006 at 07:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #64
Pyser
Pro Rookie

klee to nj. not sure for what yet.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #65
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Trading goalies to the Avalanche has always worked well for Montreal.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #66
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

TSN says Klee has been dealt to the Devils, which would make the Richardson deal a little easier to understand.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #67
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Tambellini is the son of former Islanders Stanley Cup winner Steve Tambellini, the Vancouver Canucks assistant GM who is a potential candidate to replace Milbury.

forgot that Steve Tambellini was a potential GM for the Isles. Another Pierre/Eric Lacroix situation?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #68
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Klee? wow, the Devils are really locking up the market on old, overpaid 6th defensemen.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:11 PM   #69
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hmm... The Theodore trade is odd. I never like seeing a Montreal goalie going to Colorado. It's an ugly combination. I guess Colorado will rely on Budaj for the interim.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #70
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Klee? wow, the Devils are really locking up the market on old, overpaid 6th defensemen.
Since the start of the season:

Malakhov (thankfully retired)
McGillis (sent to the minors, almost retired, changed his mind, still slumming in Albany last time I checked)
Albelin (playing very well, although I dunno if he's overpaid or not)
Now Klee

Am I missing anybody? What? They can't get Kenny Daneyko to suit up again? Maybe Lyle Odelein would like to return to New Jersey? Anybody seen Bruce Driver lately?

Old 03-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #71
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Hmm... The Theodore trade is odd. I never like seeing a Montreal goalie going to Colorado. It's an ugly combination. I guess Colorado will rely on Budaj for the interim.

I don't know. I find that very unlikely. (but remember how wrong I was about Budaj the last time you asked me about him).

Colorado is in a real dogfight the rest of the way. They have a tough schedule, and aren't in any way assured of a playoff spot. He's only got 20 NHL games under his belt, and even with Abby struggling in the first 3 months, there hasn't really been any indication that the coaching staff is ready to rely on him. He's started consective games just 3 times all year (and he gave up 11 goals in two of them). As an added bonus, he's one of the worst goalies in the NHL in the shootouts - very important, as they'll need all the points they can get.

I can't help thinking there will be another aquisition to hold the fort down for the rest of the year. It's no secret that I would like that to be Cujo...but that's just a pipe dream.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #72
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Since the start of the season:

Malakhov (thankfully retired)
McGillis (sent to the minors, almost retired, changed his mind, still slumming in Albany last time I checked)
Albelin (playing very well, although I dunno if he's overpaid or not)
Now Klee

Am I missing anybody? What? They can't get Kenny Daneyko to suit up again? Maybe Lyle Odelein would like to return to New Jersey? Anybody seen Bruce Driver lately?

and don't forget the money they are paying Mogilny to not play for them. Does Malakhov still count against the cap?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #73
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I don't know. I find that very unlikely. (but remember how wrong I was about Budaj the last time you asked me about him).

Colorado is in a real dogfight the rest of the way. They have a tough schedule, and aren't in any way assured of a playoff spot. He's only got 20 NHL games under his belt, and even with Abby struggling in the first 3 months, there hasn't really been any indication that the coaching staff is ready to rely on him. He's started consective games just 3 times all year (and he gave up 11 goals in two of them). As an added bonus, he's one of the worst goalies in the NHL in the shootouts - very important, as they'll need all the points they can get.

I can't help thinking there will be another aquisition to hold the fort down for the rest of the year. It's no secret that I would like that to be Cujo...but that's just a pipe dream.

This Theodore trade can't be good for the Avs cap situation. He's due over $5 million next year, while Aebischer makes around $1.5 million.

Do they even have room for Joseph under the cap?
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #74
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
This Theodore trade can't be good for the Avs cap situation. He's due over $5 million next year, while Aebischer makes around $1.5 million.

Do they even have room for Joseph under the cap?

I think so. Sakic and Blake are both UFAs after the season. Even if they do re-sign, I don't think it'll be for the combined $13 Million the two are making this year.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #75
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
and don't forget the money they are paying Mogilny to not play for them. Does Malakhov still count against the cap?
Oh, shit. I forgot about Mogilny. I can't believe he's bothering to even put on the Albany uniform. It's obvious that the Devils don't really want him (well, they don't want to pay him), but he just won't leave.

Regarding Malakhov, I don't really know anything about the NHL salary cap, so I don't know whether he still counts or not. What a waste he turned out to be. When your "big" offseason moves are so bad that you have to give Tommy Albelin a phone call, you know it's ugly.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #76
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
When your "big" offseason moves are so bad that you have to give Tommy Albelin a phone call, you know it's ugly.

hey he's 4th on the team in +/-!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #77
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
hey he's 4th on the team in +/-!
To be fair, Albelin has been absolutely terrific this season (it's a shame that +5 is 4th on the team, though). He doesn't provide the offense that they expected from Malakhov, but they don't need offense from their defensemen. I'm pleasantly surprised by Albelin's play this year, and I'm just mad that they had to go through the Malakhov/McGillis disaster to get to this point. I suppose they're lucky that Albelin answered the phone.

If Klee is indeed headed to New Jersey, I wonder which defenseman has lost his job. Obviously, it's not Rafalski. Paul Martin is playing pretty well, so he's safe. Given Albelin's season, he can't be dropped (can he?). As much as I loathe Colin White, every Devils coach he's played for seems to love him, so it won't be him. That leaves David Hale, Sean Brown, and Richard Matvichuk. I'd prefer that they dump Sean Brown, but I have a sinking feeling that it'll be David Hale, just because he's young. I like Hale, although he has a lot to learn. I feel rather neutral about Matvichuk, and his +/- is decent enough to keep him there, but he's invisible on the ice. His redeeming quality this season has just been that he hasn't done anything to hurt the Devils. He sure hasn't helped.

Hmm. Sorry to turn this thread into a Devils fest, but they're my team. If Klee is headed down to New Jersey, I wish he was replacing Colin White, but I hope he's replacing Sean Brown. If Albelin loses any playing time over this trade, I'll drive over to the Meadowlands and push Lou Lamoriello's eyeballs even farther apart.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #78
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This Suglobov kid actually sounds like a decent prospect. As one of the guys on TSN said, "if you're going to trade for a prospect, trade with NJ because their scouts actually know what they're doing."
Old 03-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #79
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
This Suglobov kid actually sounds like a decent prospect. As one of the guys on TSN said, "if you're going to trade for a prospect, trade with NJ because their scouts actually know what they're doing."
I like Suglobov. It's funny how the Devils have that reputation for having great prospects, considering that Albany usually has one of the worst records in the AHL.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:54 AM   #80
Booj
High School JV

From a Montreal fan's perspective, I love getting rid of Theodore... he wasn't going to start even when he did come back and that wouldn't be good for Huet with the Quebec-centered media around him.

I think this deal was done now so that Montreal can clear space for a guy like Bertuzzi or Richards (ironically, Van and TB have inquired about Aebischer).

Aebischer has infinitely more tradeability than Theodore (salary/health/recent play) and Montreal has several spare parts they'd give up in the right deal (Zednik, Ribeiro, Bulis, etc, etc...) [basically everyone but Koivu, Ryder, Kovalev, Markov and Komisarek]

Should be interesting... I can't see Gainey making this trade for no reason... something is up.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:48 AM   #81
Captain2711
High School JV

Quote:

This might help explain the Malakhov situation.

With the trade deadline arriving at 3 p.m. today, the Devils began yesterday with a payroll of $38.996 million, less than $4,000 under the cap, according to the players association's figures. Malakhov's $3.6 million contract was still reflected in that cap formulation and not removed because of the still-unsettled suspension. Malakhov is said to want to play, and the league may have to finally rule on the matter. The Devils deducted about $2 million of Malakhov's salary from their payroll, leaving them that much cap room, in their minds.

Last edited by Captain2711 : 03-09-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Captain2711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #82
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That Eklund dude is saying CuJo to Vancouver and Witt to Nashville.

Then again, from what I recall about Eklund, back when he sort of made a name for himself during that mad week between the signing of the CBA and the draft, he is about as accurate as a bunch of us sitting around together and throwing out random players and teams. . .
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-09-2006, 07:31 AM   #83
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:

Then again, from what I recall about Eklund, back when he sort of made a name for himself during that mad week between the signing of the CBA and the draft, he is about as accurate as a bunch of us sitting around together and throwing out random players and teams. . .
He's been OK with his trade rumors. But dear god, is that new web site of his awful. Just terrible.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #84
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
If Klee is headed down to New Jersey, I wish he was replacing Colin White, but I hope he's replacing Sean Brown. If Albelin loses any playing time over this trade, I'll drive over to the Meadowlands and push Lou Lamoriello's eyeballs even farther apart.

Very few players are on my "I HATE THEM" list. Darcy Tucker is one. Colin White is on that list.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #85
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Yesterday Eklund had Parrish going to Colorado, Roloson going to TB and Richardson going to the Wings. Earlier this year he had Bertuzzi in LA, Glen Murray in Toronto, Luongo in Vancouver (and LA).

No accuracy at all.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #86
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Todd Simpson goes from the Blackhawks to Montreal for a 6th round pick.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #87
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Devils get ANOTHER defenseman... Brad Lukowich
Old 03-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #88
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Are there any defensemen left that the Thrashers might be able to afford?
(Heck, I'm not sure what we can afford at this point, although getting Jani Hurme off the books last week helped at least a little bit).
Old 03-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #89
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Matvichuk told them he kicked ass.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #90
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Are there any defensemen left that the Thrashers might be able to afford?
(Heck, I'm not sure what we can afford at this point, although getting Jani Hurme off the books last week helped at least a little bit).

you can have Brisebois
Old 03-09-2006, 10:35 AM   #91
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
you can have Brisebois

oh no sir, you're not gonna get rid of him that easily...

Funny story about that idiot. A few years ago, he was on a kind of fashion show on French TV here, some kind of weekly show where they have a celebrity (well at the Quebec level anyway) on and they talk about his choice of clothing. He went on and on about how he liked to wear jings all the time. I kid you not, he was not wearing jeans, but jings. That had me laughing so hard, I still refer to him as Patrice "jings" Brisebois

FM
Old 03-09-2006, 10:35 AM   #92
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
you can have Brisebois

What's that contract look like?

At this point, I'm thinking Witt would be an upgrade to what we have, if that tells you something. And with Exelby possibly suffering yet another concussion last night, the situation looks even worse today that yesterday.

{sigh}

How the heck did it become so hard to find defensemen who can be remotely in position at least 80% of the time and are smart enough to not take really dumb penalties at the worst possible moments? I mean, I'm not looking for guys to do spectacular things, I'm just wishing for people who didn't fuck up spectacularly.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #93
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
What's that contract look like?

At this point, I'm thinking Witt would be an upgrade to what we have, if that tells you something. And with Exelby possibly suffering yet another concussion last night, the situation looks even worse today that yesterday.

{sigh}

How the heck did it become so hard to find defensemen who can be remotely in position at least 80% of the time and are smart enough to not take really dumb penalties at the worst possible moments? I mean, I'm not looking for guys to do spectacular things, I'm just wishing for people who didn't fuck up spectacularly.

scratch Brisebois off your list, and I mean RIGHT NOW...

FM
Old 03-09-2006, 10:39 AM   #94
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Well, if that's what you're looking for thank your lucky stars the Thrashers didn't trade for Richardson or Simpson. They are both pretty good at being out of position 80% of the time and taking really dumb penalties.

With Witt you'll get a little of that and constant injury risk to boot. Still, I think he'd be an upgrade. He's a warrior. I imagine, however, Washington would prefer to deal him outside their division if at all possible.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I imagine, however, Washington would prefer to deal him outside their division if at all possible.

That's the part that leaves me pretty much not even considering him as a viable possibility.

I kinda picked him as an example because I know he's got some obvious negatives attached to him, but he'd still be an upgrade over what we have right now ... which is basically one D playing worth a damn most nights (Havelid), one who seems to try most of the time but can't physically get it done anymore defensively (DeVries), one who can't seem to avoid a big mistake at the worst time (Sutton), and one who is there some nights & invisible other nights (Modry). Exelby is what he is, a 5th/6th guy at best and Hnidy either doesn't get many shifts or he's invisible a lot.

I think the thing that is the most frustrating is watching play after play, game after game, as we lose pucks in the corner because we're either out of position in the first place or simply too slow to get to them. A loose puck in our end is about like having the possession arrow pointing the wrong way - you know who is going to have possession when it's up for grabs. It's the same sequence over & over & over: loose in the corner, D starts toward it then pulls up & allows possession uncontested because he knew he wasn't going to get there in time & didn't want to be even more out of position when he failed.

Dammit, I'm tired of seeing them pull up & not contest control of the puck, I want somebody to get in there & dig for that blasted thing.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #96
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Devils traded Sean Brown to Vancouver for a 4th round pick. New Jersey are just shuffling around 5th and 6th defensemen it seems.

For the record, Brown pretty much fits squarely in the same camp as Simpson and Richardson.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #97
bbor
Pro Starter

So by picking up Richardson i take it Ferguson still thinks the Leafs can make the play-offs?

Parish and Sopel for 2 former first round picks??? I don't get it.

I thought Montreal would have had to throw in a pick to make the Abby deal.No way if i was Colorado i would have made this trade straight up.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #98
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

wow. Richardson, Lukowich, O'Donnell, Brown, Simpson, Sopel - how can I keep track of where all these great blueliners are going?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #99
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Who the hell is Denis Gauthier? Philly just got him.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #100
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
Who the hell is Denis Gauthier? Philly just got him.

He's a decent French Canadian defensemen. He's got a bit of a mean streak. If you recall earlier this year he hit Roenick pretty hard during pre-season and Avery called him out for being, well, French Canadian. He's had a few other "questionable" hits.

He's a decent blue-liner, definitely a step up from the guys who've been traded thus far today. The price shows: Josh Gratton and 2 second round picks.