Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #51
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I guess I'll have to restart my TPB St. Louis Clippers career in order to see my Tigers playing on my team. I LOVE funcitionality like this.

Even though TCY -> FOF was not as good as I thought it could be, it was still fun seeing where my players went and how their pro career was.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:49 PM   #52
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I finally tried the demo today and was impressed enough to buy it. I look forward to playing this a great deal once a patch or two addresses the biggest issues.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #53
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I guess I'll have to restart my TPB St. Louis Clippers career in order to see my Tigers playing on my team. I LOVE funcitionality like this.

Even though TCY -> FOF was not as good as I thought it could be, it was still fun seeing where my players went and how their pro career was.

This feature has gotten my really excited about it as well, so I'm waiting to purchase until it has been implimented .

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:16 PM   #54
Fouts
College Starter

San Diego, CA - Fans stormed the court as San Diego State (11-10, 5-5 conf) took down #15 Utah (18-5, 8-2 conf) by a score of 82-56. SD State took a 3 point lead into the second half, but Utah had a difficult time hitting any shots in the second half. It didn't help that two of Utah's starters were in foul trouble most of the game. Sophmore SG Matt Taylor was named player of the game scoring 17 pts, with 4 assist and 3 rebounds. Utah won the first meeting 86-79 in Salt Lake City.

San Diego State hopes to build momentum going into the final six conference games and conference tourney.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #55
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Just to make a counterpoint, I've had a lot of baskets and one.

Also, until today I didn't have any runtime errors, but now I had 2. Run Time 8 and Run Time 39. Seemed to both happen when I wanted to jump back to IE and I used alt-tab.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:14 PM   #56
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

[quote=Fouts]I hope you'll consider making other enhancements for the people who play every game out. [\QUOTE]

What other enhancements would you like to see? I'm always willing to hear suggestions.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #57
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
What other enhancements would you like to see? I'm always willing to hear suggestions.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread. I would like to see;

1) More rare plays during the game (injuries mentioned, lane violations, more shot clock violations, jump balls, fights?, etc).
2) More text information at tip-off/halftime (records, players stats, etc.).
3) Highlight injured players in the sub screen.
4) Keyboard commands to start play, access other screens.

Thats all I have written down for now. Fantastic game you have here, thanks.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:46 PM   #58
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

so if you accidently delete your savegame didn't i read right that there's a backup in the folder that still exists? which file do i have to rename to match the folder?

help
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:22 PM   #59
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
What are their GPAs and are you past the point of when the SATs are taken in the game?

One was 4.0 and one 3.9. Yes, past the point of SATs at this point. Current GDSN overall ranking of 40 and 33.I recruited by going down regional listing and adding kids with a GPA over 3.5, hoping that they or their parents would be interested in Cornell's academics.

edit: As a coach, I also have a "high" emphasis on academics.

Quote:
John's parents said that playing time is a factor but not a major one to them. (02/04/07)
John said we're in his top ten but didn't say where. (01/21/07)
John didn't seem to care much when asked about academics. (01/14/07)
John's basketball coach said he rarely ever missed even a day of practice. (01/07/07)
John's parents said that academics is their top concern about any school. (12/31/06)
John's parents said that academics is their top concern about any school. (12/24/06)
John said that prestige is a very small factor in his decision. (12/17/06)
John's parents said that they felt we were not the right school for their son. (12/10/06)
John's parents said that academics is their top concern about any school. (10/09/06)
John's parents said that discipline is a factor but not a major one to them. (09/25/06)
John's basketball coach said he's a hard working kid. (09/18/06)
John said that academics is a very small factor in his decision. (09/11/06)
John's parents said that they felt we were not the right school for their son. (09/04/06)
John seems to be primarily a fairly balanced player. (08/14/06)
John's parents said that academics is their top concern about any school. (08/07/06)
John's parents said that academics is their top concern about any school. (07/31/06)
John has some knowledge of the 2-2-1 zone press. (07/30/06)
John has some knowledge of the 2-2-1 zone press. (07/30/06)
John was definitely a top ten player at the Big Apple Showcase (07/28/06)
John's parents said that playing close to home is a big factor in where their son will go to school. (07/17/06)
John has some knowledge of the 1-3-1 zone defense. (07/16/06)
John's parents said that academics is their top concern about any school. (07/09/06)
John has some knowledge of the 1-3-1 zone defense. (07/09/06)
John seemed pretty uninterested in playing time. (06/26/06)

Quote:
Nick's basketball coach said he doesn't have many problems with injuries. (02/11/07)
Nick said that playing close to home is his top concern about any school. (01/28/07)
Nick's basketball coach said he doesn't have many problems with injuries. (01/21/07)
Nick hinted that we've at least got a shot at him. (01/07/07)
Nick's basketball coach said he's had some attitude and discipline problems with him. (12/24/06)
Nick's parents said that academics is their top concern about any school. (12/10/06)
Nick said that playing close to home is his top concern about any school. (12/03/06)
Nick's basketball coach said he's had some attitude and discipline problems with him. (11/26/06)
Nick said that playing time is a factor but not a major one to him. (11/19/06)
Nick's basketball coach said he's a hard working kid. (11/06/06)
Nick's basketball coach said he's a hard working kid. (10/30/06)
Nick told us that we're in the running for him. (10/23/06)
Nick hinted that we've at least got a shot at him. (10/09/06)
Nick said that playing close to home is a big factor in where he will go to school. (10/02/06)
Nick's basketball coach said he doesn't have many problems with injuries. (09/25/06)
Nick said that academics is not a major concern of his. (08/14/06)
Nick seems to be primarily a jump shooter. (08/14/06)
Nick's basketball coach said he's had some attitude and discipline problems with him. (08/07/06)
Nick said that discipline is not a major concern of his. (07/30/06)
Nick just doesn't look good or comfortable putting the ball on the floor. (07/30/06)
Nick seems to avoid the post on offense as much as possible. (07/30/06)
Nick was easily in the top five at the Big Apple Showcase (07/28/06)
Nick made it clear we are not in his top ten right now. (07/16/06)
Nick has some knowledge of the flex offense. (07/16/06)
Nick has some knowledge of the 2-3 zone defense. (07/09/06)
Nick said that playing close to home is his top concern about any school. (06/26/06)

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 01-16-2006 at 11:31 PM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:24 PM   #60
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Thunderingherd,

I assume they had no interest at the beginning of the year? I started the demo with Penn and they highest ranked player at the beginning of recruiting was 600.

Todd

The highest interested recruit I've had in either year has been ~ 700. I send out a ton of feeler calls in the first couple of weeks and go hard after any highly ranked guys that show interest after I've called them.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:58 PM   #61
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Just looking through the recruits, SAT scores seem to be too high. Couldn't find a source for basketball, but apparently the average D1 football player SAT score is below 900. Quickly looking through the top 50, only 13 of the top 50 recruits in my game have a score below 1000. The #44 and 3 recruits scored 1570.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:43 AM   #62
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Another thing--is there some way to see a players ranking as a recruit? If not, I definately think that should be in the game.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:10 AM   #63
ausonny
High School Varsity

One issue I've come across is that after the first week of the season Duke fell from number one in both polls to number 4 in the media poll and number 7 in the coaches poll, without losing. 4 of the teams that jumped over them in the coaches poll had a loss. Seems like something's a little off there.
ausonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:18 AM   #64
ausonny
High School Varsity

Dola -

Duke fell even further the second week, still without losing. Three of the teams ahead of them have 2 losses.
ausonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:11 AM   #65
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

3rd year with Cornell: with three freshman starters and no seniors I finish 15-0 at home and 3-9 on the road. Only one win on the road in the Ivy league despite having much, much more talent. Just from this season it seems like too large a penalty is being applied to young players on the road.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:21 AM   #66
Fouts
College Starter

I had 5 scholarships last year, but since I was only able to recruit 1 guy, I had 4 walkons. The next season I was told I only have 1 scholarship. What happened to the 4 leftover scholarships from last year? Did I lose them because I suck at recruiting?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #67
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
Just looking through the recruits, SAT scores seem to be too high. Couldn't find a source for basketball, but apparently the average D1 football player SAT score is below 900. Quickly looking through the top 50, only 13 of the top 50 recruits in my game have a score below 1000. The #44 and 3 recruits scored 1570.

Ah ok, I see why you were able to get them as Cornell - I'll lower the SAT scores and that should take care of that. I think one person told me they had alot of success with Harvard as well.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:21 AM   #68
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausonny
One issue I've come across is that after the first week of the season Duke fell from number one in both polls to number 4 in the media poll and number 7 in the coaches poll, without losing. 4 of the teams that jumped over them in the coaches poll had a loss. Seems like something's a little off there.

Yeah there have been reports that RPI is weighing too heavily in the early season polls - it always works itself out of course but I'll tweak it so that early polls are determined more by prestige than RPI
Old 01-17-2006, 08:22 AM   #69
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
I had 5 scholarships last year, but since I was only able to recruit 1 guy, I had 4 walkons. The next season I was told I only have 1 scholarship. What happened to the 4 leftover scholarships from last year? Did I lose them because I suck at recruiting?

They should still be available - did you have offers out at the end of the season to players that never ended up signing with you or did you just have four scholarships sitting around that you didnt offer?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #70
BuffaloHuskey
Mascot

Is the NCAA still using a sliding scale for GPA and SAT scores? I think someone mentioned that a player in this game would not be eligible with less than a 920. I know that when I first started college about 8 years ago, that you could be eligible with scores lower than that (My roomie had much worse scores than that and he was eligible to play baseball at a Div.1 school). His high school grades were decent though, so maybe that is why he was eligible
Old 01-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #71
Galaril
Pro Starter

Hopefully, there is a patch in the near future to tweak the stat issues like blocks, and such as well as the too many scholarships. And of course the other few things mentioned above. The game is great but I am holding off starting a serious universe until these things are taken care of. That being said I purchased the game the morning after it was released. Gary, you made a fan boy of me with TPB. A awesome game and I haven't been disappointed with this either. Thanks.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #72
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHuskey
Is the NCAA still using a sliding scale for GPA and SAT scores?

The NCAA uses a sliding scale - TCB does not. The min SAT score to pass in the game is 800 but each school also has its own minimum score for admission into their school so you can't be Yale or something and pickup guys who barely passed the SAT.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:36 PM   #73
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
They should still be available - did you have offers out at the end of the season to players that never ended up signing with you or did you just have four scholarships sitting around that you didnt offer?

I had 5 offers out, only 1 signed at the end of season. Got 4 walkons in their place. This year I only have 1 scholarship available to offer.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:37 PM   #74
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
I had 5 offers out, only 1 signed at the end of season. Got 4 walkons in their place. This year I only have 1 scholarship available to offer.

Have you tried cutting the walkons?

Old 01-18-2006, 03:18 AM   #75
Fouts
College Starter

Tested it by cutting the walk-ons and simming a week. Received no additional scholarships. Cut the 1 recruit I did give a scholarship, and received an extra scholarship.

I have 9 guys on scholarships now. I loaded the original file and my team had 13 guys on scholarship. I think I have permanently lost 4 scholarships.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:31 AM   #76
hoosiergoody
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Hopefully, there is a patch in the near future to tweak the stat issues like blocks, and such as well as the too many scholarships.

Gary mentioned that he plans to have a patch out this week- the main things I remember being worked on were the blocks and the RTE when you cut a player. Knowing GDS, Gary will have other things tweaked as well in the patch. He's been quite active on this board as well as the GDS forums, so he hears all our suggestions/issues/and of course, gratitude...
hoosiergoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #77
Fouts
College Starter

Bump. Gary, have I lost these 4 scholarships permanently? My team is tanking in season 2, since we replaced 4 seniors with 4 walkons.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:30 PM   #78
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

For the current season, yes - as long as you don't advance to the new season without the patch. With the patch it should reset them correctly next year.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:23 AM   #79
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
For the current season, yes - as long as you don't advance to the new season without the patch. With the patch it should reset them correctly next year.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll try and suffer through this season, but wait for the patch before continuing.

Once I get the scholarships back, I suspect I'll have to cut some guys before I can add these new recruits to the roster, or will the roster be expanded and require you to cut down?

I'm not even sure I'll have a job at SD State after this year though. We are 2-12 at this point, and riding a 7 game losing streak.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:59 AM   #80
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

The rosters do not expand so you will have to cut some of your walkons or let the AI do it for you
Old 01-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #81
Bee
Pro Starter

Question on the demo:

I downloaded the original demo, but it kept crashing on my computer. I decided to wait and see if it ran ok on my computer after it came out, so I just downloaded the "retail" demo and installed it after uninstalling the old demo. It's tellling me my trial period is up. Is that the way it's supposed to work?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #82
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Question on the demo:

I downloaded the original demo, but it kept crashing on my computer. I decided to wait and see if it ran ok on my computer after it came out, so I just downloaded the "retail" demo and installed it after uninstalling the old demo. It's tellling me my trial period is up. Is that the way it's supposed to work?

First, I'm pretty sure you didn't want to uninstall the demo. The "retail" demo is actually a file that will upgrade the demo to the retail version, which will allow you to purchase the game. I can see how you got confused.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #83
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

What kind of crashing problems were you having by the way?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #84
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
What kind of crashing problems were you having by the way?

CTD after setting up the options. Happened twice, so I abandoned the demo figuring I'd try the demo again once it was released.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:11 PM   #85
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Can you be more specific on the CTDs - it could be something like not having a proper support file.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #86
Galaril
Pro Starter

Gary, Will we see the Patch tonight?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:42 PM   #87
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

I think its going to be tomorrow - Im trying out something with the 2D to make it easier to follow without the pbp text
Old 01-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #88
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

As for more suggestions for those who play the games out.

I'll add that I'd like to see the Time Out strategy options made available more often. Especially during media time Outs. NOTE: if that happens...then try and do something to make the media timeouts stand out a little....just so we don't fly past them without noticing.

Also if there could be more T.O. strategy options..possibly expanding the options based on the offensive set.

Oh and making the 2D easier to follow sounds like a great place to focus energy. Good Job.

One other comment about the 2D. Personally when I've turned my offense to favor inside heavilly..if my Center continuously got the ball in deep and then fed it back outside...He wouldn't be playing much longer. If the positions depicted are supposed to remotely reflect the positions of the players...Well I just get the impression that don't. It's almost like the players are just moving in patterns that don't relate too much to the events in the game.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:29 PM   #89
Galaril
Pro Starter

Just a note I had ask Gary about media time outs on GDS's board and he mentioned he was looking at adding them for now.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:02 AM   #90
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Can you be more specific on the CTDs - it could be something like not having a proper support file.

Not really. It just crashed to the desktop. No errors or anything.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #91
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This ought to be a nice game to dig into while I'm in Kansas City.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #92
Icy
Pro Starter

Patch is out!!

Quote:

http://72.29.67.246/GDS/TCBv1_1.zip

This patch contains two files - both need to overwrite files currently in your main TCB folder. Saved games should work fine - the only exception will probably be anyone who suffered a RTE 9 at the end of the season (not the Nov 19th one). This patch fixes the ability to create a league from a file as well - I'm going to post a file in the Mod section that you can download and edit so that you can create a league with players and coaches as well.

Here's a list of issues this patch covered
----------------------------------------
- fixed display issue for rebounds on visiting team PG/SG
- fixed RTE 9 after Nov 19th
- fixed RTE 91 advancing to new season
- fixed RTE issues with switching to a lineage coach
- fixed RTE 6 before, during and after games
- fixed issue with blocks in played out games
- fixed 2D display issue with 1-3-1 zone offense and offensive fouls
- fixed bug at beginning of recruiting period that allowed scholarships to double
- fixed loss of scholarship issue
- fixed export recruit button for MP
- tweaked polls
- tweaked ability to get facility upgrades
- fixed bug causing players not to foul in backcourt
- fixed bug causing teams to run wrong offense after beating press
- tweaked offense looking for shots and at buzzer
- fixed issues with importing/exporting league data
- fixes issue with creating league from file
- fixed shot clock resetting on blocked shot
- made popup display in 2D larger and contains more info

Last edited by Icy : 01-21-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #93
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oh HELL yes
Old 01-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #94
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

and now i can continue my season and see that of my National Championship Winning team, 3 of them went in the Top 10 in the 2009 pro draft (#1, #5, #9) and a 4th went #17
Old 01-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #95
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well, looks like purchase #3 from GD.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #96
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This game might be my next dynasty. Starting up a career now
Old 01-21-2006, 05:58 PM   #97
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
This game might be my next dynasty. Starting up a career now
Would love to read a TCB dynasty. In fact I'm surprised none have surfaced here yet.

Edit: Not sure if I should go with Missouri or start at the bottom like I did in BBCF?

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-21-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #98
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Would love to read a TCB dynasty. In fact I'm surprised none have surfaced here yet.

I think I will start one. My only concern is if a big remaining bug will be present that will necessitate a re-started career after patching.

Edit: I will start somewhat near the bottom and try to work my way up to USC and help re-vitalize their program.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-21-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:06 PM   #99
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I think I will start one. My only concern is if a big remaining bug will be present that will necessitate a re-started career after patching.

Edit: I will start somewhat near the bottom and try to work my way up to USC and help re-vitalize their program.

Well, considering Gary's track record with TPB 2005, it seems to me he waits a bit for his first patch before releasing it just for the reason you state above.

Not that a big bug couldn't be lurking out there, but with the release of this patch, I feel pretty confident in finally purchasing and starting a new career.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:12 PM   #100
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think i'll start one too probably. Just needed to wait for that first patch to come out to address the issues.