Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #51
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oh man, I knew I'd forget one. The torture episode was neck and neck with the recap episode amongst my favorites. When he gives her "change", well, wow. A great episode for really appreciating Mal's true persona as well as some serious growth for Wash.

And the dramatic love scene between Mal and Zoey at the end, well, my drink did come out of my nose. Poor Wash.

(I'm pretty sure it was River in the scene you were talking about HB.)

As far as the other series goes, I'd agree that each took longer to hit their stride. Angel: Season Five is probably my favorite of the seasons (with the puppet episode being truly hilarious) with Four like you said, being the low point. Buffy, well, I found each season had true highs and lows and find it much harder to pick an entire season that I prefer over another.

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:43 PM   #52
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I got the DVD Series of Firefly! I'm pumped, I should have it by next week. Had to spend pretty much full price on it, 40 bucks in all. I've already seen all the episodes, but on the computer, so this will be much better.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #53
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

$40?!! Cancel it! Amazon has it for $35 (free shipping for that price)!

edit: FORGET AMAZON... Overstock has it for under $32 (including shipping):

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=539034

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-13-2006 at 05:48 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #54
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

They could also bring Wash back saying how he was just stabbed below the vital parts...albeit it was a huge stab, but still.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #55
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
$40?!! Cancel it! Amazon has it for $35 (free shipping for that price)!

edit: FORGET AMAZON... Overstock has it for under $32 (including shipping):

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=539034
Heh, thanks, but I would have done such except I've had this Walmart gift card I've been trying to use...but maybe I will look into it and possibly grab something else.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #56
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1
Heh, thanks, but I would have done such except I've had this Walmart gift card I've been trying to use...but maybe I will look into it and possibly grab something else.
No prob. Just trying to help a brotha out .
Old 01-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #57
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1
They could also bring Wash back saying how he was just stabbed below the vital parts...albeit it was a huge stab, but still.

His first line being, "But I'm feeling better!"

I get the feeling, contrary to Buffy and Angel, that when they bite it in Firefly, they've bitten it. Especially when they do the graveside scene.

I'd imagine he'd make a few guest appearances for flashbacks and that sort of thing, but as sad as it is to say, I really think Wash is done. That said, I think it was also a way to give River an opportunity to assume a contributing role on the ship as I can't imagine Mal assuming the pilot's role. They could always bring in a new character for that too, but I think it'd be interesting to see River in that role.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:58 PM   #58
sabotai
General Manager

A knife or a sword below vital organs without a graveyard scene....ok. A big log going through his stomach....no.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #59
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Buffy, well, I found each season had true highs and lows and find it much harder to pick an entire season that I prefer over another.

That's odd on Buffy. I felt like Season 2 of Buffy was the best season and, perhaps, the finest season of TV I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I liked season one a lot, though it was a bit rough around the edges. I loved season 3. Solid throughout. Season 4 was quite good too. Season 5 started the descent. It was ok, but Glory sucked and I was no fan of Dawn. Season 6 had "Once More With Feeling" which was pure genius, but over all was a bit weak. Season 7 was pretty weak once the whole Slayerette stuff started. And Spike was a complete drain on the show during Season 7, though he rebounded nicely and got back to good, old Spike on Angel.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #60
Travis
Pro Rookie

Any season with Faith was a good season in my books

Like you point out though, seasons 2 thru 4 were probably the best the show had with season 1 nearly in that group. I guess I didn't mind Glory so much, but I have to clarify that by saying that I watched all of Angel before going back and watching Buffy through on DVD. So having already dealt with Jasmine, Glory didn't seem quite so bad.

There were some weak characters (re: some of the Slayerettes) in Season 7, but I did quite like how Buffy's character was done and thought Fillion did a very nice job with his role.

That said, personally, I think I'd still take Season 5 of Angel over any season of Buffy.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #61
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Any season with Faith was a good season in my books

Like you point out though, seasons 2 thru 4 were probably the best the show had with season 1 nearly in that group. I guess I didn't mind Glory so much, but I have to clarify that by saying that I watched all of Angel before going back and watching Buffy through on DVD. So having already dealt with Jasmine, Glory didn't seem quite so bad.

There were some weak characters (re: some of the Slayerettes) in Season 7, but I did quite like how Buffy's character was done and thought Fillion did a very nice job with his role.

That said, personally, I think I'd still take Season 5 of Angel over any season of Buffy.

Wow. That's saying something. Season 2 of Buffy had the whole gang at full force: Buffy, Willow, Oz (pre-wolf), Cordelia, Giles, and Xander (even throw in Ms. Calendar for the hottie/surprising death factor). And the bad guys had: Evil Angel, Spike, and Druscilla. Just doesn't get any better than that.

While Season 5 of Angel was great, I just never really liked the whole Illyria thing. It did little for me and they had already gone down that "demon cum human" route with Anya (i.e., other worldly beings feeling/experiencing human emotions, etc.). As for the final episode, my favorite scene was the final Lorne/Lindsey scene. Just the perfect ending for both characters.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #62
Travis
Pro Rookie

Question for you, which series did you watch first? Like I said, I watched the entirety of Angel before seeing more than probably 15 episodes of Buffy in their entirety, never mind same season, in order.

The episode where Fred "dies" was an amazing episode. I wasn't super crazy about the Illyria character, but it reminded me of that episode every time I saw her.

I can definitely agree that season 2 of Buffy had a great cast, but I'm not sure any combo could touch Spike and Angel in season 5. Add in Wesley who had finally become (imho) a great character, Lorne (who had really good moments, especially in the finale), Harmony (again, great moments), and Lindsey, they didn't do too badly on their own. Oh, and the wee little puppet man (that episode rivals Once More With Feeling in my books).

The finale, definitely great. I'm torn as I'd love to see the series get picked up again on it's own, or to have a movie done (including the Buffy characters to finish everything off the way Whedon envisioned), but the way they finished off the final season of Angel isn't a bad way to go out if that is to be it's fate.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:30 PM   #63
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Question for you, which series did you watch first? Like I said, I watched the entirety of Angel before seeing more than probably 15 episodes of Buffy in their entirety, never mind same season, in order.

The episode where Fred "dies" was an amazing episode. I wasn't super crazy about the Illyria character, but it reminded me of that episode every time I saw her.

I can definitely agree that season 2 of Buffy had a great cast, but I'm not sure any combo could touch Spike and Angel in season 5. Add in Wesley who had finally become (imho) a great character, Lorne (who had really good moments, especially in the finale), Harmony (again, great moments), and Lindsey, they didn't do too badly on their own. Oh, and the wee little puppet man (that episode rivals Once More With Feeling in my books).

The finale, definitely great. I'm torn as I'd love to see the series get picked up again on it's own, or to have a movie done (including the Buffy characters to finish everything off the way Whedon envisioned), but the way they finished off the final season of Angel isn't a bad way to go out if that is to be it's fate.

I started watching Buffy in Season 2. A friend of mine had all Season 1 on tape, so I went back and watched them all before Season 3. So, I watched the first 3 Seaons of Buffy and then started to watch the two series simultaneously from then on. Because of that, I think I was also a little more invested in Buffy than Angel.

I remember thinking the first season of Angel was a bit off, but a few years ago I went back and re-watched them with Lady H_B (she became a Whedonite convert) and I was actually kind of surprised how good it was, much better than I remembered. I think my favorite episode of Angel was in Season 3 with the haunted Russian ballet (where River was the head ballerina).
Old 01-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #64
WrongWay
Banned

FarScape vs FireFly

Which miniseries do you think the SciFi channel should go with?

For me, it is FarScape. It has been 2 years since the PeaceKeaper Wars and I think it is about time the SciFi channel roll out another FarScape miniseries. Besides, the SciFi channel already has both Browder and Black under contract over at the SG set.

Last edited by WrongWay : 01-13-2006 at 09:57 PM.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:12 PM   #65
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Once again, the previously cited position of the right answer being the opposite of WrongWay's answer seems to apply.. D
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #66
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Once again, the previously cited position of the right answer being the opposite of WrongWay's answer seems to apply.. D

Seems odd to come into a discussion about Firefly and discuss how Farscape would be a better show to pick up. Think that was an intentional flame, or just really stupid?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #67
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
Seems odd to come into a discussion about Firefly and discuss how Farscape would be a better show to pick up. Think that was an intentional flame, or just really stupid?

No Comment...
Old 01-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #68
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
No Comment...

Oh come on...it'll be fun.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:21 AM   #69
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
WOW, I did not know that everyone posting in this thread thinks FireFly is the greatest Sci-Fi show of all time.

Sorry, but I personally like FarScape over FireFly.

And, actually this thread was to show all those FireFly fans out there how bad Serenity was doingm in the DVD "rental" area. 25th in it's opening weekend is terrible. Especially if you look at some of those Sci-Fi giants like "Stealth" and "Fantastic Four" who are beating it out.

Hell, even "The Dukes of Hazzard" is kicking Serenity's ass.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:30 AM   #70
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

You do realize with the prevelance of things like Netflix or Blockbuster Unlimited, plus DVD's being failry cheap, that rentals mean nothing?

It's #3 is sales on Amazon.
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:45 AM   #71
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Ewiak
You do realize with the prevelance of things like Netflix or Blockbuster Unlimited, plus DVD's being failry cheap, that rentals mean nothing?

It's #3 is sales on Amazon.
Hmm, really? Serenity did $25 million at the US Box office.

Looking at the top 25 form the rental list.

Four Brother did $8.8 million it's opening week.
Charlie and the Choclate Factory is currently at $52 million in rentals.
War of the World is over $46 million.
Stealth is at $39.8 million and counting!
Serenity $1.6 million

Sorry, I had to make the Sci-Fi flop Stealth in bold to show you how a Bad Sci-Fi movie was doing at the Rental Store.

So, you don't think these Millions upon Millions of dollars mean anything to the studios?

Last edited by WrongWay : 01-14-2006 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:05 AM   #72
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

Pretty much...no. At this point, rental money is a nice bonus but not that much of a major draw. For example, if ya' go here ->

http://www.dvdexclusive.com/charts_sellers_ytd.asp

People rent crappy moves because WTH, it's only three-four bucks. People _buy_ good movies, because it's fifteen-twenty dollars for a DVD at the low end.
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #73
Calis
College Starter

I'm not sure why you're surprised that the movie is doing so poorly in rentals, the fans of the show are buying the DVD.

It's a niche movie based upon a niche show not THAT many people watched to begin with, what did you expect it to do? Double it's revenue from rentals?

If anything this shows the power of marketing, Stealth was shoved down our throats over and over again. Most of the others you mentioned were as well. I don't think the low sales speaks badly on Serenity's quality, it just speaks on what people wanted to see..or are convinced that's what they want to see.

Stealth is #386 in sales on Amazon, I'd take the sales.

Last edited by Calis : 01-14-2006 at 08:38 AM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:56 AM   #74
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Don't asshat this thead, asshats.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #75
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
And, actually this thread was to show all those FireFly fans out there how bad Serenity was doingm in the DVD "rental" area. 25th in it's opening weekend is terrible. Especially if you look at some of those Sci-Fi giants like "Stealth" and "Fantastic Four" who are beating it out.

Looking back at your first post in the thread, the purpose of this thread was to show how bad Serenity was doing in the "sales" area. You just happened to use rental data to try to make your point.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #76
Fouts
College Starter

Bump. BestBuy now has a bunch of Firefly DVD sets. I picked one up and have enjoyed the first 5 episodes. I think I paid $40, but it was money well spent. I'm just sad there was no season 2.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #77
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
Bump. BestBuy now has a bunch of Firefly DVD sets. I picked one up and have enjoyed the first 5 episodes. I think I paid $40, but it was money well spent. I'm just sad there was no season 2.
'
Another conversion - good to know.. And yeah, I think it gets better. The Train Job is probably my least favorite episode. The Man They Call Jayne is frigging awesome.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #78
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I just bought the Serenity novel. We'll see how it goes down.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:45 PM   #79
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/firefly...c_/pg_2/rpp_18

Buy a magnet or a shirt perhaps?
Old 01-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #80
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It's sad, because I thought that Serenity really had the potential to be the first show since Babylon 5 to be Babylon 5.

Now I have Lost though, which is also looking to be Babylon 5.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:34 AM   #81
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
It's sad, because I thought that Serenity really had the potential to be the first show since Babylon 5 to be Babylon 5.

Now I have Lost though, which is also looking to be Babylon 5.

-Anxiety

Never watched Babylon 5. Would you recommend the DVD set to someone who can't get enough Firefly? Just checked Amazon and they are going for 80 bucks a season. Ouch.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:16 AM   #82
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
Never watched Babylon 5. Would you recommend the DVD set to someone who can't get enough Firefly? Just checked Amazon and they are going for 80 bucks a season. Ouch.

B5 is another character driven story. The first season sets up the really good seasons 2,3,4. Season 5 is okay. I bought the DVD's because I loved the show. That is a lot of money just to test the waters. You may be able to rent them and I believe Sci-Fi channel was showing them at one point too.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:50 AM   #83
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
WOW, I did not know that everyone posting in this thread thinks FireFly is the greatest Sci-Fi show of all time.

Sorry, but I personally like FarScape over FireFly.
I hope you are the type of banned that allows you to still read the board.

If so, fuck you.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote