Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #51
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
What is so fun about Animal Crossing? I see you all talking about that.

You know, I just can't explain it. I've tried and I just can't. It's a laid back game like Harvest Moon where there really is no goal except to customize your little corner of the world the way you like it by doing little chores and errands and then show it off to others online. Which sounds really boring but it has some sort of mezmerizing and addicting quality that I just can't explain.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #52
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm surprised that neither SackAttack nor sterlingice mentioned this, seeing as I sent both of them an email with the details while at work....

DS Lite is coming to the USA on 11 June. It will be available for $129.99 and will only be available in white (at least, at first). It's a bit of a bummer, really. I don't want a white DS, so I'll probably wait to get one until (if?!) they release a dark blue or other dark color one in the US.

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?...tXhjFheh&page=

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #53
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, but I didn't get home until around 6 and then didn't check anything until after 8

SI

Old 05-16-2006, 10:09 AM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone picked up New Super Mario Brothers yet? I think I'm going to have to get it this weekend.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #55
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't picked it up yet, but it's on my lust list. Probably this weekend for me, too.

/tk
Old 05-16-2006, 06:16 PM   #56
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm a little short on cash at the moment so it'll have to wait. I almost picked up Tetris this past week when I saw it for $25 but thought better of it.

It's easily my most wanted title not named "Pokemon:Pearl/Diamond" and has been for quite a long time. It looks absolutely spectacular- beautiful old school Mario goodness.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-16-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #57
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Thumbs up

I picked up New Super Mario Brothers last night. It's been a LONG time since I played a side-scrolling platformer of any type, so it took me a little bit to get re-accustomed to the controls of a simple game (which are pretty much exactly the same as every other Mario game).

I REALLY like this game. It combines a good bit of the old-school things we loved about the game back on the original NES with some great new elements.

/tk
Old 05-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #58
General Mike
Pro Starter

I am thinking about picking up a DS, possibly when the DS Lite comes out here. I'd definitely get New SMB and that Castlevania game. Any other suggestions?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #59
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Mario Kart

/tk
Old 05-19-2006, 10:32 PM   #60
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
I am thinking about picking up a DS, possibly when the DS Lite comes out here. I'd definitely get New SMB and that Castlevania game. Any other suggestions?

Wait for the lite. There are a bunch of good games, plus any of the good GBA games work, as well. I think that SI did a topic on the good games somewhere. I'd avoid Sonic Rush, as it gives me a constant headache with the change from the top to the bottom screen.

Anyone with New SMB, does the game jump between screens much? I can take a shift here and there, but not one at high speed.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #61
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Anyone with New SMB, does the game jump between screens much? I can take a shift here and there, but not one at high speed.

No. Most of the gameplay is on the top screen, with the bottom screen showing your spare item (touch to use), the star coins you've collected in the level, and your progress in the level.

I'm addicted to the game, but I've discovered that the later I stay up to play it, the more lives I lose. I suppose that if there were one "bad" thing about the game, it's that it's really easy to get TONS of extra lives. As I said previously, the control has taken some getting used to, and there are advantages and disadvantages of the new special mushrooms they added (the big mushroom that makes you gigantic and the mini mushroom that makes you tiny), but all in all, it's a solid game.

/tk
Old 05-20-2006, 08:08 AM   #62
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Wait for the lite. There are a bunch of good games, plus any of the good GBA games work, as well. I think that SI did a topic on the good games somewhere. I'd avoid Sonic Rush, as it gives me a constant headache with the change from the top to the bottom screen.

Yeah, I already have a few good GBA games, so I'll be in OK shape as far as games go.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 05-20-2006, 10:26 AM   #63
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've got 7 games and pretty much like them all: Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Meteos, Advance Wars, Phoenix Wright, Age of Empires, and Tony Hawk's American Sk8land. I still want to get, some more than others: New Super Mario Bros, Metroid Prime Hunters, Tetris DS, Brain Age, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Nintendogs, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorry, Kirby's Canvas Curse, and Mario 64. In short, there's a ton of quality stuff out there for the system, it's more a matter of what you like to play.

SI

Old 05-25-2006, 05:05 PM   #64
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Zonk at /. posted a good review of the New Super Mario Brothers game. As a matter of fact, his feelings match mine so well that instead of taking the time to write something up, I'm just going to reference his. linky

In the "everything old is new again" spirit of the 21st century, there have been many bad remakes, remixes, and 'reinvisionings'. The gaming industry is especially guilty, with endless sequels and a lack of imagination being oft-discussed elements at developer get-togethers. Despite all this, it does appear you can go home again. Nintendo has competently revived the series that made it a household name in the U.S., with New Super Mario Bros.. A classic 2D platformer with plenty of new tricks, Mario comes bounding to the DS with a focus on what he does best. New Super Mario Bros. is not going to make you rethink what is possible in a game; It's not going to make you cry or change your life. It will, however, make you smile. Read on for my impressions of the pudgy plumber's newest adventure.
  • Title: New Super Mario Bros.
  • Developer/Publisher: Nintendo
  • System: DS

For a lot of gamers, growing up with games meant growing up with Mario. Just mentioning titles in the series can provoke memories from the far away and long ago. The first time you defeated Bowser, your first flight in the Tanooki suit, and Mario's first fumbling 3D steps are all moments we can share together as part of the collective gamer hive-mind. This shared history makes the average gamer an intuitive appreciator of New Super Mario Brothers' (NSMB) wafer-thin plot; Bowser has kidnapped Princess Peach and Mario has to save her. What follows from the typical 'stealing the princess' scene is pure Mario flavour. You move your little red and blue plumber from left to right, avoiding Goombas, Koopa Troopas, and the occasional pit. What makes this game a worthy successor and not a cheap cash-in is the title's endless attention to detail and novelty. 1-1, for example, is an almost picture perfect mirror of the very first level of the original Super Mario Bros.. A mirror, that is, until you get over the second hill, pop the question block, and release the giant mushroom. The rest of the level rushes past in a blur as giant Mario slams through enemies, pipes, and scenery, before reaching the flag at the end of the level. This melding of the old and the new allows NSMB to mostly rise above expectations on the friction of greatness. The core of this greatness involves time-worn game concepts that have been freshened up with some new thread and a lot of care.
These game concepts come from across the many Mario titles. The map that allows you to navigate the Worlds and their sublevels is lifted from Super Mario Bros. 3. There are alternate routes through the maps, encouraging exploration and experimentation, as in Super Mario World. The butt-stomp and wall-jump from Mario 64 are here as well, and seeing them executed well in a 2D environment is well worth the price of admission. The only game element that somewhat disappointed was the powerup department. While the mega mushroom is a fun novelty the first time around, it has a fairly limited usefulness. There's also a mini mushroom, which makes you very small; Perfect for long floaty jumps and getting into tight spaces, but not that much fun. There's also the Troopa suit, a turtle shell that effectively turns Mario into a Koopa Troopa. You can run, get up some speed, and slide in the shell through enemies, knocking them akimbo. These are fun elements, but compared to genius like the flying Tanooki suit or the invincible Kuribo Boot they seem somehow a little thin.

Mario's transformative costumes aside, the quality of design here demands exploration and concerted effort. Levels ramp up in difficulty as you move through the Worlds. Requirements for completion go from 'a carefree leap or two' to 'carefully planned trial and error assaults'. Enemy placement is always designed to challenge and occasionally frustrate, but never to provoke calls of 'cheap!' Each world has a theme, of course, with World 2 being a sandy desert and World 5 covered in snow and ice. Within the overall theme of the World, each level provides thoughtful variation. Their overworld map appearance gives hints of what they'll be like; levels located in pits on the map are the familiar subterranean levels, while those on the edge of the ocean tend to have aquatic elements. Some levels are special cases, such as the towers and castles that dot each world. The tower is a mid-level challenge, a chance to face Bowser Jr. (Princess Peach's jailer) and drive him further along the map. The castle is the penultimate showdown for the current World, and defeating Jr. there drives him on to the next World. Generally unlockable, there are *-A levels that are entirely aquatic (and filled with swarming fish). There are also Ghost Houses, as in Super Mario World, which pit you against the surreal surroundings of the Boos and their crews. The World map, then, is informative; It can also be frustrating. Scattered across the map are paths that are unreachable, tantalizing areas that beg to be unlocked. Some, like the powerup mushroom houses, are simply blocked from the main path. These can be unlocked with the large coins you find hidden in every level. Entire levels, though, are secreted off branching parts of the World's path. These require you to exit a particular level via an alternate route in order to open up that part of the path. The flag at the end of each level may, indeed, not be the way out you want. These secret routes lead to hidden levels, warp pipes that allow you to skip around within a World, cannons that blast you across the sky to land in other Worlds, and in two cases even allow you access to Worlds that would be otherwise inaccessible. This exploration element is as entertaining as it is addicting; Wondering just how you get from point A to point B will have you puzzling over the World map for many minutes.
Those minutes will pass by quickly, though, with your eyes resting easy on the beauty that is New Super Mario Bros. The DS has come into its own in the last year, with titles like Metroid Hunters proving the surprising power of Nintendo's two-screened beast. NSMB doesn't push the console the way Metroid did, but the game's graphical presentation is just as rock solid. The 3D elements that are incorporated into the 2D maps make the game pop out at you, as Mario and the various enemies shuffle and run through the colorful environments. The big smiles, though, are likely to come from the little touches. As mini-Mario, you can run across the surface of water, with splashes kicked up by the tiny plumber's pumping feet. In World 5 packed snow hanging on background tree branches is shaken loose as you pass, trapping you for a moment under a mound of wintery goodness. The environments are interactive and imaginative, and scored in the same style as all of the classic Mario titles. In order to avoid burnout by including endlessly familiar tunes and sound effects, there's a good deal of differentiation from the older titles musically. Just the same, you'll recognize where they're coming from with the underground theme, the noise when Mario loses a powerup, the particular blip as a Goomba is flattened, and the frustratingly familiar musical sting when you fall into a pit. These variations put you in the right state of mind, but don't come out of the box already old or annoying.

This preoccupation with recreating the familiar in a fresh way is, ultimately, why New Super Mario Bros. succeeds. The tight control of a leap atop a wandering Goomba is a gaming moment that, while certainly not new, never fails to be somehow special. NSMB taps directly into this with level design, musical scoring and sound effects that harken back to the best days of the NES and SNES. Even while the game looks backwards, it keeps its feet firmly in the now. The game looks terrific, is a challenge for a gamer of any skill level, and offers plenty of exploration elements to keep your mind active. There are even some WiFi multiplayer elements borrowed from the DS port of Mario 64, to keep you and a friend company on long trips. Some may look on this title as falling short of greatness. I see New Super Mario Bros. as competently meeting the expectations of our gaming heritage. Some games last a few hours, and some last a lifetime; This game was already a classic by the time I'd slotted it into my DS. NSMB belongs on the shelf alongside God of War or Half-Life 2, part of a stack I'll be carrying with me for a good, long time.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:36 AM   #65
digamma
Torchbearer

We got a DS recently. I've been having a good time with it. A Mario Kart question...
How in the heck do I perform the "skid turbo" or whatever it is called? The manual says something about holding R and skidding back and forth until your wheels burn and then pressing R again. I can't get to the wheel burning stage though. Any tips? (Yes, I'm trying to finish Mission 1-8.)
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #66
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
We got a DS recently. I've been having a good time with it. A Mario Kart question...
How in the heck do I perform the "skid turbo" or whatever it is called? The manual says something about holding R and skidding back and forth until your wheels burn and then pressing R again. I can't get to the wheel burning stage though. Any tips? (Yes, I'm trying to finish Mission 1-8.)

It's been a couple of weeks since I've played MK and just am not all that good at the skid, but, iirc, you have to hit back and forth on the control pad pretty quick to get the fire going. I've never been able to do it very quick or for very long so I'm no good at snaking.

SI

Old 05-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #67
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma

You do something like lean one direction, and skid the opposite direction. I can't really do it all that well either. Your wheels will get blue before you turbo I believe.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #68
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, you have to slide back and forth 3 times, I think.

SI

Old 06-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #69
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Picked up a DS Lite today after trading in my DS to EBGames- cost me $64 out of pocket so not too bad. Had to migrate my online profile over- if you do a trade-in, make sure to do this, otherwise your friend codes go with the system.

I haven't tried out Mario Kart on it, yet (which is pretty important as it's the most "hand stressing" game for the DS) but I've played some AC and Kirby and I love the Lite. The buttons might be a tad too close to the edge of the system since there's not as much real estate there. However, with the longer battery life (15-19 hours on the brightness of the original DS), better weight, smaller size, and brighter screen (I tend to play it on the second lowest brightness, just brighter than the current DS, but the highest probably allows you to see through time because it's so bright)- easily worth the upgrade.

SI

Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 AM   #70
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Picked up a DS Lite today after trading in my DS to EBGames- cost me $64 out of pocket so not too bad. Had to migrate my online profile over- if you do a trade-in, make sure to do this, otherwise your friend codes go with the system.

I haven't tried out Mario Kart on it, yet (which is pretty important as it's the most "hand stressing" game for the DS) but I've played some AC and Kirby and I love the Lite. The buttons might be a tad too close to the edge of the system since there's not as much real estate there. However, with the longer battery life (15-19 hours on the brightness of the original DS), better weight, smaller size, and brighter screen (I tend to play it on the second lowest brightness, just brighter than the current DS, but the highest probably allows you to see through time because it's so bright)- easily worth the upgrade.

SI

Hmm, $64 for the upgrade is not all that bad. I'll have to see what the regular one is going for on Ebay first(might be able to get more to sell/then buy). Looking back on it, i should have waited.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #71
MikeVic
Head Coach

Anyone have information on when the other colours will be released in North America? I want that dark blue (black?) DS Lite, and an EB employee said it'll be released around Christmas??
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #72
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Anyone have information on when the other colours will be released in North America? I want that dark blue (black?) DS Lite, and an EB employee said it'll be released around Christmas??

I haven't heard anything about when any of the other colors is going to be released in the US (I too want the dark blue that's available in Asia), but for some EB employee to say it'll come around Christmas sounds like he's just pulling it out of his arse. I frequent many places where that type of info would "come out first" as it were, and I've seen NOTHING on anything about the other colors.

/tk
Old 06-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #73
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

There's no official date at all or even comments to latch on to. However, late fall thru Christmas seems to be a good guess. It was about 3 months before Japan got additional colors. Not only that but the initial "DS Lite" buzz will be starting to wear off. And, of course, it's Christmas market- a perfect time to build some more sales, especially with Pokemon likely being an early spring release.

In short, it makes perfect sense, but there's no official word yet.

SI

Old 06-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #74
MikeVic
Head Coach

Got a DS Lite yesterday, along with New Mario Bros. and Big Brain Academy... was kinda bummed that Gameboy and Gameboy Color games won't work, but that's a minor issue.

New Mario Bros. is such an awesome game. It feels nostalgic and new at the same time. I'm still playing Mario/Luigi Superstar Saga for the Advance, so I won't be buying games for awhile.... still want to try the Castlevania game, Kirby, Mario/Luigi Partners in Time, Mario Kart, Tetris, Trauma Center... and I'm sure there's others.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #75
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait to play the New Mario Bros. Unfortunately, I'm a tad short on money and quite short on time

SI

Old 06-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #76
MikeVic
Head Coach

And is it just me, or does the DS Lite feel less comfortable than the Advance? I'm finding my hands being cramped, and the corners of the DS Lite being jammed into my hands too...
Old 06-22-2006, 10:53 PM   #77
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The DS Lite cramps my hands a little on the side. Then again, so did the DS until I adjusted how I held it a bit. I'm sure I'll figure out something comfortable like I did with the DS, tho.

SI

Old 06-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #78
General Mike
Pro Starter

I couldn't find a Nintendo DS, so I finally ordered one online.

Viva Mike!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:51 PM   #79
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I wanted one in dark blue, so I bought mine from Lik-Sang (admittedly I paid more than I would have if I sucked it up and just went for the white one).

I LOVE the DS Lite, it fits PERFECTLY in my hands. Then again, I'm a girl..

/tk
Old 07-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #80
General Mike
Pro Starter

I got my DS Lite today

*happy dance*
Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #81
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I'm in. Got a DS Lite used with Advance Wars DS.

I'm impressed with this thing. I didn't realize it had a microphone, stylus, and wi-fi support for connecting via the internet. I just thought it had dual screens. Sheesh. This is a lot of hardware for the money. Nintendo rocks.

I played a bit of Final Fantasy I last night and the colors are so much more vibrant on the DS than they are on the GBA SP. And the stylus is awesome. I was playing a half hour of Advance Wars this afternoon and I got so used to the touch pad that I almost forgot that the game had button controls.

Got a few Japanese games for it when I was in Japan, but I don't have anything yet that connects over the internet.

Am thinking about getting Animal Crossing, but every time I go to buy it I get scared off by the screen shots of the cute animal thingies running around. I think, "There is no way I'll like this game." Then I run into someone else who loves it and I get convinced to buy it again.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #82
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
I got my DS Lite today

*happy dance*

EBGames.com still hasn't shipped me New SMB and Mario Kart DS yet.

*sad dance*
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 07-26-2006, 12:17 AM   #83
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
I'm in. Got a DS Lite used with Advance Wars DS.

I'm impressed with this thing. I didn't realize it had a microphone, stylus, and wi-fi support for connecting via the internet. I just thought it had dual screens. Sheesh. This is a lot of hardware for the money. Nintendo rocks.

I played a bit of Final Fantasy I last night and the colors are so much more vibrant on the DS than they are on the GBA SP. And the stylus is awesome. I was playing a half hour of Advance Wars this afternoon and I got so used to the touch pad that I almost forgot that the game had button controls.

Call me 'old fashioned' but I still like the control pad for turn based strat (AW and Age of Empires) because the stylus opens up a little room for silly touch errors as I don't have the hands of a surgeon.

I've been playing thru FF4 on my DS Lite lately and the colors and look are great.

Quote:
Got a few Japanese games for it when I was in Japan, but I don't have anything yet that connects over the internet.

Am thinking about getting Animal Crossing, but every time I go to buy it I get scared off by the screen shots of the cute animal thingies running around. I think, "There is no way I'll like this game." Then I run into someone else who loves it and I get convinced to buy it again.

Hm... I have finally tired of Animal Crossing for a bit and my game is stuck back at July 11th. There's a lot to do if you try to keep up on a daily basis and I just don't have the time for it. Tho maybe I'll pick it back up this week with the promo from Toys R Us.

SI

Old 08-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #84
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I need something new to play. I only have a handful of games for my DS that I play with any regularity (Animal Crossing: Wild World, New Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Kart, and Brain Age), and at the moment I'm kind of bored with all of them.

I'm itching for some Final Fantasy, but within the last 6 months I've played and beaten all the portable versions of it I have, and FFIII isn't due out until September, sometime around my bday.

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery on what GBA or DS game I should get to tide me over for a little while? I enjoy all genres except FPS and RTS, in general.

/tk
Old 08-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #85
twothree
College Prospect

I am not really playing anything on the DS at the moment. Civ IV + expansion is taking up all my playing time. However, I do have Harvest Moon DS reserved.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:43 PM   #86
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Nintendogs arrived today in the mail. Played with the kiddes for about 20 minutes. The game was too good. I had just came back from the Science Museum with my 4-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter. Both were quite tired, and I thought that some Nintendogs might be the thing for a short bit of rest and relaxation for them, as it was too late to put them down for a nap.

They really got into it but couldn't agree on anything. First they couldn't decide on the breed of dog, then the color was a problem, then the gender was a problem, then the name. Argh. Once they started training the dog, they took turns, but their pronuciation was different so all I think we succeeded in doing was screwing with the dog's mind. Supposedly we somehow succeeded in teaching him his name and how to sit, but we tried again for about five minutes tonight before they went to sleep and the stupid dog just ignores the commands now. At least he hasn't pooped on the floor yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery on what GBA or DS game I should get to tide me over for a little while? I enjoy all genres except FPS and RTS, in general.

/tk

I've heard great things about:
  1. Osu Tatakae Ouendan
    Very unique rhythm game. Rave reviews. Only available as an import at the moment, but supposedly requires no Japanese ability to play.
  2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    Courtroom adventure game. Got great reviews in Japan. I have a Japanese version now but haven't started it yet.
  3. Trauma Center: Under the Knife
    Perform operations with your stylus! Read great things about the game here, but supposedly it gets insanely hard.

All three of the games are unique games. Both Osu Tatakae Ouendan & Trauma Center supposedly make excellent use of the DS's features. I'm planning on getting these games once I can reduce my backlog a bit.

Sterling: Whoops. Missed your post there. Yeah, I can see it'd be easy to make mistakes with the stylus in turn-based games. So far I haven't had too much trouble with it, but that might change. I haven't played AW at all for a few days now, though. Only playing a few minutes of FFI before I go to sleep. Too much damn work, but Friday things should go back to normal.

And I'm still on the fence with Animal Crossing.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 08-02-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #87
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I suppose from your post above, tk, that your copy of PW never arrived?

SI

Old 08-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #88
MikeVic
Head Coach

I have Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, and that PacMan game which I find really fun... you already know about Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center I assume. The PacMan game was cheap ($15Cdn I believe), and it's a blast to play. You draw a PacMan on the screen and it'll eat in the direction you drew his mouth. There's arrows and lines you can draw to change his direction and hit things in the top part of the screen.

The game isn't a maze game like the original PacMan though. You're on one screen, and eat the ghosts and monsters on that screen... no walls to go through. But it's gotten pretty hard at level 3 or 4 (out of 12). So I'd recommend this for sure!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:30 AM   #89
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin

/tk

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 08-03-2006, 06:11 PM   #90
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I suppose from your post above, tk, that your copy of PW never arrived?

SI

Got delayed until middle of August.

I may take GM's suggestion and pick up Castelvania: DoS tomorrow...tonight will be a drinking night, me thinks.

/tk
Old 08-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #91
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Darn, it looks like DoS is getting re-released (i.e. that they stopped it and are re-releasing it):
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon.com
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Other products by Konami
Platform: Nintendo DS

Price: $34.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

Availability: This item will be released on September 19, 2006. Pre-order now. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Oh well. I guess I'll just wait for my copy of PW to come in (scheduled for middle of the month), and then see what comes out near my bday.

/tk

Old 08-05-2006, 10:14 AM   #92
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If you want a warm up for DoS, the Castlevania double pack for GBA is on sale for $20 at Toys R Us. It's Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance for GBA. I almost picked it up last week since the only GBA Castlevania I played was Circle of the Moon and that was excellent.

SI

Old 08-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #93
General Mike
Pro Starter

That's interesting tk, since I ordered DoS from amazon.com a month ago and it was in stock.

Also, I need to call up EBGames.com about where my f'n games are. Those jerks.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #94
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's interesting tk, since I ordered DoS from amazon.com a month ago and it was in stock.

Yeah, I'd actually seen DoS in my loacl Best Buy a month or so ago, but decided I didn't really need it then, so didn't buy it, now that I'm looking for it, nobody has it and Amazon says it won't be around until September.

Oh well. My local Toys R Us didn't have the Castlevania double pack that SI mentioned, so I ended up picking up Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.

I guess it'll keep me entertained for a little while.

/tk
Old 08-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #95
General Mike
Pro Starter

Also, as far as Castlevania is concerned, and this is as good a place as any to post this, Konami needs to port Symphony of the Night to the DS.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 08-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #96
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
EBGames.com still hasn't shipped me New SMB and Mario Kart DS yet.

*sad dance*

Update: I finally got Mario Kart and New SMB today.

*happy dance*
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 08-30-2006, 12:58 AM   #97
twothree
College Prospect

It looks like we will finally get two new colors (black and pink) for the DS lite in North America on September 12th or 13th. I guess it might be time to finally put away my blue DS and buy a black DS lite.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:40 AM   #98
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Unfortunately the touch pad isn't working right now on our DS. I tried to calibrate it and had no luck. To make matters worse, the bar code isn't registering at Nintendo, so I can't send it to be fixed for free. Bummer.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:44 AM   #99
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Hmm, looks like my time zone is screwed up. It's only 9:43 here.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:44 AM   #100
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Weird, by a half hour too.