Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #51
WrongWay
Banned

Hey, how do they get the opening weekend numbers at 8pm on Sunday?

WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #52
st.cronin
General Manager

I think it's really funny that people get emotional over box office grosses.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:40 PM   #53
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I think it's really funny that people get emotional over box office grosses.

I do for certain movies. For example, Serenity. One of the best, most fun movies I've seen, and I loved the Firefly series. I want to see the box office numbers high so that they make a sequel, or bring back the show.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:51 PM   #54
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Saw this Tursday night... great movie. Ebert's review was spot on, and it's easily the best movie of 2005. I can't say enough about this movie the acting was great (even Jack Black was amazing) and Jackson definitly deserves at least a nomination for his directing... I even think he should win but probably won't since he won last year for RoTK.

Top notch all the way!!!
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:54 AM   #55
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Hey, how do they get the opening weekend numbers at 8pm on Sunday?

They are estimates. Officials come out a little later, but they generally close.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:22 AM   #56
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Herd you are such a Loser. Remember as long as you have your Food stamps and can say "Do you want that Super Sized" you should be alright.

Uh, ok.

Quote:
And, why are you MIA in the FOFC BBCF league?

The last I heard it wasn't launching until after the new year. Is there some activity going on that I'm not aware of?

Quote:
About the only thing ThunderingHerd is willing to take a stance on is who is going to win the 2002 Super Bowl game on ESPN Classic.

Has someone been telling you that your unfunny non-jokes get better with age or is that just another bad call on your part?

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:01 AM   #57
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So it's at $66 million through Sunday. Anyone still think it might make $100 million?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #58
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It needs to be longer.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #59
Butter
Coordinator

KING KONG!
Battles the Viet Cong!
KING KONG!
Wears a massive thong!
KING KONG!
Listens to Cheech & Chong!
KING KONG!
This is his theme song!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:17 AM   #60
Raiders Army
Coordinator

FWIW, box office numbers are a little misleading. I seem to remember an article which said that the guys who made Spider-Man actually lost money at the box office, when it made $403 million. That movie cost $139 million to make and $50 million to market. I want to say that less than half of the box office went to the studio, so they actually lost money.

Then again, it earned another $418 million overseas, $60 million for TV rights, $109 million in toy sales, and about $338 million in DVD sales.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:21 AM   #61
oykib
College Starter

Is no one else disturbed that as we move into 2006 we are still making Giant ape movies?

To clarify, it's a fairly established idea that the Giant ape is generally meant to represent "savage" Black male sexuality. I realize that the newer versions of thesemovies aren't as bad as earlier outings. But I personally have no intention of seeing it.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:23 AM   #62
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
Is no one else disturbed that as we move into 2006 we are still making Giant ape movies?

To clarify, it's a fairly established idea that the Giant ape is generally meant to represent "savage" Black male sexuality. I realize that the newer versions of thesemovies aren't as bad as earlier outings. But I personally have no intention of seeing it.
I'll bite...so what do minature apes represent?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:25 AM   #63
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I'll bite...so what do minature apes represent?

pygmies?
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #64
Rasmuth
n00b

Saw the movie on Friday...thoroughly 100% enjoyed it...excellent film....

in fact...I might go see it again...the footage on the island was spectacular.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:48 PM   #65
Kodos
Resident Alien

This is probably my most anticipated movie of the year besides War of the Worlds.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:13 PM   #66
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
This is probably my most anticipated movie of the year besides War of the Worlds.

Which I still haven't seen.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:14 PM   #67
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
Which I still haven't seen.

It was, meh.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:28 PM   #68
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

meh at best.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:58 PM   #69
Kodos
Resident Alien

I thought it was quite good.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:02 PM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

meh to blech at best for me.

War of the Worlds that is. Haven't seen Kong yet.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 12-19-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:05 AM   #71
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
To clarify, it's a fairly established idea that the Giant ape is generally meant to represent "savage" Black male sexuality.
But, his little weewee is so small.

I mean think about it; in all those giant ape movies with full frontal nudity have you ever seen his penis?

Sometime when I am alone at night, I wonder if King Kong may actually be a Giant Female Lesbian Ape, and that scares me.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #72
chinaski
College Prospect

watched it yesterday, place was almost full too; pretty surprising for the 1st movie of the morning on a monday.

I thought it was good, but not great. Some amazing action scenes and some good acting - mainly from naomi watts and adrien brody. But its almost too long, the first 45 minutes is really uninteresting and character relationships like 'Jimmy' & 'Mr. Hayes!' are completely useless.

A lot of filler, but a good deal of meat as well - i give it a B+ for almost making me cry over a CGI Ape.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:37 AM   #73
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Quote:

I am disturbed at your insight into this movie.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #74
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Cheaper by the Dozen 2 just might. Don't under-estimate a corny family flick opening Christmas weekend.

Well, it wasn't CBD2 (which came in fourth) that might take the Christmas weekend crown, but instead a resurgent LW&TW. King Kong is in a virtual tie over this weekend, but it will be tommorow before the final numbers come out. It will be interesting to see what Christmas day numbers are going to look like.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/c...5-12-24&p=.htm

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-26-2005 at 11:38 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:57 AM   #75
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
I thought it was good, but not great.

That is my take on it. We saw it Saturday, and Loren and I were a little ticked off that it was on the smallest screen in the theater. I don't understand why they would do that with this type of movie. One of the bigger (normal) screens would have made it a touch better maybe but it wasn't a movie killer I guess.

Anyways, some of it was great when it comes to the special effects. Some of it I didn't really like too much. Like the dinosuar 'stampede' were they are running inbetween the legs of them. Just didn't come off good for me.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #76
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I took our 8 y/o to see this on Thursday...let me preface this by saying that he saw Batman Begins in the theater and had no problem with it, and on the whole does not get scared by much at all. But he was terrified in this movie...we never even saw King Kong...the scene(s) where they first get to the island and see the natives, and the one guy gets killed just freaked him out. I am not sure why b/c he has seen much worse than this - he watches CSI with us alot and is fine with the dead bodies, blood, etc...we ended up leaving as the native guy was getting on to the boat and (presumably) about to kidnap Ann Darrow. The customer service lady at the theater was super nice - gave me the money for the tickets back AND gave us two free passes - which radii used Friday to take Anthony to see Narnia (which they both really liked). I guess the sight of a crying child clinging to it's mother really pulls at peoples heart strings
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:58 PM   #77
Lorena
Unregistered

Antmeister and I wanted to see Wolf Creek but was sold out, so we decided to watch King Kong. The $20.00 admission for a 3 hour long movie wasn't worth it to me. Some scenes were WAAAAAAY too long for my taste.

Last edited by Lorena : 12-26-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:07 AM   #78
molson
General Manager

After yesterday, estimated domestic is $118 million, estimated overseas is $153 million. I think good word of mouth will push it over $200 million.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:51 AM   #79
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Just got back from a 10:30 showing. Overall, I was disappointed. The movie itself as a whole was okay, but there were just too many pieces of it that bothered me. Without going too much into the plot, it seemed like a mix between Raiders of the Lost Ark, Titanic, Jurassic Park, and Harry and the Hendersons. And it was definitely too long. I don't have a problem with 3 hour movies...I have a problem with movies that are unnecessarily 3 hours. And there was no reason for this movie to be over 2:15.

Exactly my thoughts. Good movie. Good acting. Good special effects.

But just so many scenes that weren't relevant or interesting.

I don't care how good a film is, when you catch yourself saying "Please, just move on already" over five times in a movie, something is wrong. There was NO purpose for this movie to be so long outside of an egotistical director who wanted to watch his work.

At 2 hours, this is the movie of the year. At 3, it's one I'll likely never watch again.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:59 AM   #80
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, last minute decision had us seeing Narnia last night. I enjoyed it much better the King Kong. Of course I currently have King Kong slightly ahead of The Ringer only because of the effects.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #81
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Ape Clobbered by Lion

The numbers are in for Tuesday's box-office take, and one thing is clear: Peter Jackson's "King Kong" has been clobbered.

The winner, now by a large margin, is Disney/Walden's "Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Kong" finished a solid second on Tuesday with $7,919,225. But "Narnia" ruled, with $9,224,127.

The two movies have been locked in a dead heat for the last two weeks, but it now seems that "Narnia" has completely wedged "Kong" out of first place.

This can only be frustrating news for the folks at Universal. "Kong" cost $300 million, including marketing and promotion. At this rate, it will take a long time to recoup its expenses and see a profit.

"Kong" follows a trend, though. The public is often lukewarm to this kind of film. A few years ago, a remake of "Godzilla" by Roland Emmerich was also a box-office disappointment.

"Kong" may also be too violent for most schoolkids. "Narnia"'s success, as well as the continued steady presence of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," indicates that the box office is under the command of those kids on vacation. "Harry Potter" — along with "Cheaper by the Dozen 2," "Yours, Mine and Ours," and "Chicken Little" — had the smallest fall-off from day to day, while other "adult" attractions are on a box-office roller coaster ride.

As for those "adult" titles: No numbers were ready yet Wednesday evening for "Brokeback Mountain." Steven Spielberg's "Munich" held its own for a third day, as did the Johnny Cash biopic, "Walk the Line."

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:34 PM   #82
Anthony
Banned

after Titanic i decided I won't pay to see a 3 hour movie when i know how it will end. King Kong dies. 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours or more - doesn't matter how much filler you have there is no way around it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:42 PM   #83
Tigercat
College Starter

New King Kong is to American Godzilla as Micheal Jordan is to Harold Minor

The public may not have been ready to go in HUGE numbers to see a large monster movie like King Kong, but it is still a top of the line action movie (although uneven at times) that is being applauded by most critics and viewers.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:10 AM   #84
Desmond
Banned

Im not sure, but I think that this movie will fall thru cracks on the tail end of the BLOCKBUSTER movement. LOTR, Spiderman, the 3 Star Wars movies, all the huge movies that have come out in the past 5 years pale, by a wide margin in comparison to King Kong imo. I think alot of people are staying away based on not finding the "idea" of the movie as appealing as the others i've mentioned.

This is King Kong yes, but Jackson really takes the story we all know and makes it new, without really adding much, which to me, is amazing.

I think alot of people will look more fondly on this film 2 or 3 years down the line than they are right now.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #85
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I saw it the other day and really enjoyed it. Was it too long? Yes. But I never felt bored and really enjoyed a lot of the scenes.

I have to say though, I thought some of the special effects actually looked weak. Kong himself was amazing, but several of the dinos, and all of the shots of the bi-planes, looked crummy to me.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:34 AM   #86
Aylmar
High School Varsity

I liked it, but in what seems to be a trend for Jackson, it's just too long. I wasn't bothered as much by the opening scenes to setup the characters as I was by what I felt was gratuitous use of CGI on Skull Island. Yes, you have amazing computer guys that can make really good looking monsters. The giant bug scene in the ravine/canyon, however, made me feel like I was watching Starship Troopers circa 1930. I'm not sure why that scene was even necessary other than to kill a few more people and demonize large crickets. I give him credit, though. Unlike ROTK, the ending was fantastic.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:13 PM   #87
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
made me feel like I was watching Starship Troopers circa 1930.

I think this is a perfect analogy and one that I had been searching for ever since the preview was posted here last summer and everyone was drooling over it. It just looked so wrong and I think it was the futuristic, sci-fi look made to pretend it was the 30s. I think there were better ways of doing this without turning Kong into another Jurassic Park or even SW.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #88
JeffR
High School JV

Finally saw this today.

What a bloated, self-indulgent mess. It's a monster movie done at the pace of LOTR. I wish Jackson had made this before he got insanely successful; that way, maybe there might've still been someone willing to tell him he needed to cut about 40% of it.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:17 PM   #89
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar
I liked it, but in what seems to be a trend for Jackson, it's just too long. I wasn't bothered as much by the opening scenes to setup the characters as I was by what I felt was gratuitous use of CGI on Skull Island. Yes, you have amazing computer guys that can make really good looking monsters. The giant bug scene in the ravine/canyon, however, made me feel like I was watching Starship Troopers circa 1930. I'm not sure why that scene was even necessary other than to kill a few more people and demonize large crickets. I give him credit, though. Unlike ROTK, the ending was fantastic.
*SPOILERS*

I saw this a couple of nights ago and agree a lot with what was said here. I liked the intro hour-ish of time before they get to the island. Tho, gratuitous use of CGI really has to be bad to bug me- basically in something devoid of plot- this was not that.

Two things stick out in my mind:
1) At the bug scene, I started clock watching- it was starting to get unnecessary and only two plot points happened there, both of which could have occurred a few minutes earlier in the log scene: Adrian Brodie tracking off on his own (could have gotten trapped on the other side of the log from them), and the captain coming back (also could have happened in the King Kong log battle). I did a little clock watching on the T-Rex battle. After they fell into the vines, that just went on for too long.
2) The whole Jimmy/Hayes thing looked like it was building to something and then didn't at all.

That said, after I was done, I had some movie "warm fuzzies" about how this should be what going to the movie feels like even with these couple of complaints. I really agree with the comments of "this is how going to the movies should feel". I really enjoyed the movie and would watch it again, all 3 hours, if I have friends who haven't seen it yet or want to go again. I'm curious how it will hold up to second viewing.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #90
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
You're high. The film might make 100 million domestically, but since it cost nearly TWICE that to make, it'll be considered a flop.

*cough*

From Box Office Mojo:

Quote:
Domestic Total as of Jan. 18, 2006: $205,287,420

Old 01-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #91
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
*cough*

From Box Office Mojo:

Maybe so, but for that movie to have only made $5 million domestically after all these weeks that it's been out, it definitely didn't live up to the expectations that were placed on it prior to release. I am not saying it's a failure, but I would guess that the studio's were willing to spend $200 mil to make it b/c they thought they would profit a little more than $5 mil.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #92
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
Maybe so, but for that movie to have only made $5 million domestically after all these weeks that it's been out, it definitely didn't live up to the expectations that were placed on it prior to release. I am not saying it's a failure, but I would guess that the studio's were willing to spend $200 mil to make it b/c they thought they would profit a little more than $5 mil.

I guess you can say the movie just made $5 million dollars domestically, but money is money, no matter where it's earned. And I'll bet the world-wide sales and eventual DVD sales will be enough to pay PJ's heat bill.

Last edited by Dutch : 01-19-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #93
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm simply responding to the fact that someone said I was high for thinking it would make $200 million.

But yeah, DVD/Cable/Foreign sales will turn King Kong into a pretty big profit.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #94
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I guess you can say the movie just made $5 million dollars domestically, but money is money, no matter where it's earned. And I'll bet the world-wide sales and eventual DVD sales will be enough to pay PJ's heat bill.

It's made $500 million worldwide so far.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #95
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Finally saw this on DVD this weekend. It was laughably bad. Peter Jackson gets a helluva lot of leeway with me because of the LOTR trilogy, but we couldn't even finish watching King Kong. Ugh.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #96
Subby
lolzcat

I thought it was entertaining, but I was kind of shocked that anyone would take their kid to see it. It was way too intense for kids (but of course, it was marketed to them).
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #97
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Oh, and who decided to cast Adrien Brody as a romantic lead? He looks like a scarecrow with a big schnoz.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #98
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Chris, you and I are too old to be cool enough to like this.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #99
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Also very true.