Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #51
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
What possible relevance to the story was the fact that they were black?

This is a bulletin board on the internet, so all I can go by are the words that you type. They're your words, not mine.

Yeah, they are my words and I use them everyday with "black" people who could careless that I use them. This is the way that I talk everyday. My friends and family don't care that I use the word black to describe a story. I don't think you should care either. However, you as well as others have an issue with it. Sorry but I won't change how I talk or write because someone thinks the word "black" being associated with people is racist.

edit:

also, I am stopping here because I don't want to be considered as trolling FOFC. I am here at FOFC to enjoy the news & topics I read. Besides, when Jim does release his next sim I may want to ask questions so I can't afford to be banned.

Last edited by maximus : 09-23-2005 at 10:03 AM.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:00 AM   #52
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I probably would have said "black guys" as well. I still have a long way to go to be as accepting as I hoped I was.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #53
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
Me & 4 dudes were mugging this old guy the other day. He started to fight back, and damned did I want to kill him. I kicked him in the throat, but then my buddies pulled me off. Peace to all y'all d-town homies that saw it.
This was not even remotely funny.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #54
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Yeah, they are my words and I use them everyday with "black" people who could careless that I use them. This is the way that I talk everyday. My friends and family don't care that I use the word black to describe a story. I don't think you should care either. However, you as well as others have an issue with it. Sorry but I won't change how I talk or write because someone thinks the word "black" being associated with people is racist.

Being the black pope of love and tolerance I cannot endorse this line of thinking. Repent heathen.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:10 AM   #55
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Being the black pope of love and tolerance I cannot endorse this line of thinking. Repent heathen.
You need to petition that as your title.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:11 AM   #56
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Sorry but I won't change how I talk or write because someone thinks the word "black" being associated with people is racist.
*sigh*

I don't think that "the word black being associated with people is racist." And it's evident that you didn't intend anything of the kind. But the fact that you mentioned the assailants were black differentiates them from you, does it not? It deflects attention away from their deeds.

Do you see a difference in these descriptions?

"Two men raped a woman."

"Two white men raped a woman."

"Two black men raped a woman."

"Two black men raped a white woman."

"Two white men raped a black woman."

"Two black men raped a black woman."

"Two white men raped a white woman."

What the hell difference does it make? A woman was raped by two men.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:12 AM   #57
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Why pie?

You got something against cake?

Blantant Cakeism.

Homer: Who-hoo! Four day weekend!!
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:13 AM   #58
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
You need to petition that as your title.

some shall it be written, so shall it be done. "The black pope of love and tolerance."

S-Dog, make it so. Engage.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:18 AM   #59
digamma
Torchbearer

LF10,

I hope your dad recovers quickly, and I'm thankful he wasn't hurt worse.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #60
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What the hell difference does it make? A woman was raped by two men.

If you want to be picky, It should be a person was raped by 2 other individuals... What difference does it make that it was 2 men?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #61
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

First, most importantly, LionsFan10, I'm sorry about your father, and like others, I hope his recovery moves quickly.

Second, to answer the question in the thread title, no, I don't think I've ever wanted to kill somebody. I haven't had anything make me that angry yet, thankfully.

Third, and this is tongue-in-cheek, I'm starting to wonder if some of you guys just don't want me around here. I stopped posting here for a couple of weeks because of some stuff that was happening on this board. I decided to start posting again because it seemed to get back to being somewhat civil, but look at this thread. Like so many others before it, someone shared a difficult personal situation with us, and it ended up getting derailed and turned into some shit that's been replayed more times than Dwight Clark's catch. I don't have a problem with any of you guys personally, but really, this is getting fucking nuts.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #62
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

I think by the way you sound here, you use the word black to differntiate yourself from black people.....I would assume you when describing a black friend of yours, you would call them your black friend, instead of just your friend.....I could be wrong, but thats the picture i get from reading this......

The muggers hurt someone you loved, but describing them as black men instead of just men says something to me, that you consider black people different then you
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 09-23-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #63
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I give this thread one star.

Edit - One rainbow colored star.

Last edited by VPI97 : 09-23-2005 at 11:36 AM.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #64
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Like so many others before it, someone shared a difficult personal situation with us, and it ended up getting derailed and turned into some shit that's been replayed more times than Dwight Clark's catch. I don't have a problem with any of you guys personally, but really, this is getting fucking nuts.
You're absolutely right. They do replay Dwight Clark's catch way too many times...but I gotta agree with you. It's been derailed. But then again, such is what happens when you post on a public messageboard.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #65
Lorena
Unregistered

I'm sorry to hear that LF10, I hope your dad comes out of it okay and those rat bastards get what they deserve sooner rather than later... bunch of pussies

I hate to see this thread crumble like it has. LF10's dad went through something horrible and we're talking about race issues because of Maximus' post? C'mom guys.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:45 AM   #66
Subby
lolzcat

Do you have to refer to them as pussies? That's offensive to NoMyths.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:46 AM   #67
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I agree with Pumpy, but I'm going to be a little hypocritical here, as this subject interests me.

While I don't particularly agree (on the surface) with Maximus' "3 black guys" (or whatever he said), I also have a problem with leaving out words of description just because we're so damn scared of being labeled with something even remotely bordering on racism.

I live in a neighborhood that has a certain level of "diversity" (for those who can handle it, that means I live in a neighborhood with both blacks and whites). My children play with children who share their pigment and with those who do not. If my wife comes in the room and asks me something like, "who brought over the soccer ball?" while my child is playing in the backyard...and the child in question happens to be African American...why the hell is it my first inclination to plainfully describe that child in ANY manner other than skin color? If the kid was the lone white child in the backyard - can't I say, "it was the white kid?"

This whole world is hypocritical sometimes. It reminds me of the whole, "Celebrate Diversity" signs you see on car bumpers, in elementary schools, etc. I always want to follow up that line with "but you better not point it out if you see it, because if you do you're a racist."
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #68
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Jon misses the good ole days....
Old 09-23-2005, 11:57 AM   #69
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I agree with Pumpy, but I'm going to be a little hypocritical here, as this subject interests me.

While I don't particularly agree (on the surface) with Maximus' "3 black guys" (or whatever he said), I also have a problem with leaving out words of description just because we're so damn scared of being labeled with something even remotely bordering on racism.

I'll break my silence here for a second.

Thats just it, I'm not scared.

I have hung around with black guys all my fricking life. For me to say it was "3 black guys" is the same as me saying, "Hey Jim, who was that black guys name again"?

But as someone else said already, lets just get back to the original topic.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:59 AM   #70
rkmsuf
Head Coach

let's see how many times we can say "black guy"

also, where the heck is token asian guy?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #71
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Then you probably have way too much fucking time on your hands.

Jon, I've found your new sig

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:11 PM   #72
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
turned into some shit that's been replayed more times than Dwight Clark's catch.

I concur with you and RA, that's been replayed too many times

SI

Old 09-23-2005, 01:13 PM   #73
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

On a more serious note, LionsFan10 hope your dad gets better. Hopefully you've had some time to cool off and if you ever find these guys, I'm sure the police will be able to handle it capably. That said, I've never been in the situation so saying that is a lot easier than living it.

SI

Old 09-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #74
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
I also have a problem with leaving out words of description just because we're so damn scared of being labeled with something even remotely bordering on racism.
And I'll reiterate the point I made earlier, which is that the fact they are black has no bearing on the story in question, unless the intention was to factor in their race or skin color into whatever else was being said. Maximus has already made clear that such was not his intention, and I believe him. That's just the way he talks and I can accept that.

But that doesn't change the fact that it was stated that the assailants were black. Like any other aspect of the post, it's informational. Are these low-life trash crackheads who beat up 70-year-old men? No, these are BLACK low-life trash crackheads who beat up 70-year-old men. Oh, well, that's different. Now it has a racial element. And I would bet dollars to donuts that someone on this very board read that the assailants were black and thought to themself, "Yeah, that figures" or something similar.

And I'm sorry, but in my opinion you're either naive or fooling yourself if you feel that kind of thinking isn't going on in our society ALL THE TIME. And the people who are not racists are the only ones that can help change it.

My apologies to LionsFan10 for thread jacking, and for Pumpy and whomever else is bothered by this sort of discussion.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 09-23-2005 at 01:26 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #75
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm not kidding but when I first read his post, I pictured all of the assailants dressed in black wearing black ski masks...
Old 09-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #76
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
I'll break my silence here for a second.

Thats just it, I'm not scared.

I have hung around with black guys all my fricking life. For me to say it was "3 black guys" is the same as me saying, "Hey Jim, who was that black guys name again"?

But as someone else said already, lets just get back to the original topic.
I think the point that people are trying to make is that in your example of what you would say to Jim - "Hey Jim, who was that black guys name again"? - the fact that the person is black is helpful in identifying who the person is. Sure, there is probably something else distinguishing about that person that you could mention - tall, wears glasses, etc. But it is helpful in trying to narrow down the identity of the person you are asking about, and I would have no problem with describing someone that way to assist the other person in explaining who you are talking about.

In the original statement, though, the fact that the 3 guys who beat someone up are black has nothing to do with the story. Now, if you were talking to the police about the beat-down, sure, it would be appropriate, because their identity is relevant. But discussing it here, the fact that they are black doesn't matter.

And that's the difference.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-23-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #77
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Someone should welcome you to the ignorant list. Your "black guys" comment is classic passive racism.

Quick! Call Jessie Jackson!
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:05 PM   #78
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

That's it. It's nothing but haikus and faggotty Lost observations from me for now on. This place is ridonkulous.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #79
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Quick! Call Jessie Jackson!
And another enlightened soul joins the parade.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:51 PM   #80
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
And I'll reiterate the point I made earlier, which is that the fact they are black has no bearing on the story in question, unless the intention was to factor in their race or skin color into whatever else was being said. Maximus has already made clear that such was not his intention, and I believe him. That's just the way he talks and I can accept that.

But that doesn't change the fact that it was stated that the assailants were black. Like any other aspect of the post, it's informational. Are these low-life trash crackheads who beat up 70-year-old men? No, these are BLACK low-life trash crackheads who beat up 70-year-old men. Oh, well, that's different. Now it has a racial element. And I would bet dollars to donuts that someone on this very board read that the assailants were black and thought to themself, "Yeah, that figures" or something similar.

And I'm sorry, but in my opinion you're either naive or fooling yourself if you feel that kind of thinking isn't going on in our society ALL THE TIME. And the people who are not racists are the only ones that can help change it.

My apologies to LionsFan10 for thread jacking, and for Pumpy and whomever else is bothered by this sort of discussion.

Criminy - I said I didn't agree with him. I was trying to further the discussion to innocuous descriptions of everyday people...that we're to the point where we think twice about offering skin color when describing a person's features.

Not sure why you're going off on me here...
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 09-23-2005 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #81
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
That's it. It's nothing but haikus and faggotty Lost observations from me for now on. This place is ridonkulous.
I think John Galt might be offended by this.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:47 PM   #82
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
I was trying to further the discussion to innocuous descriptions of everyday people...that we're to the point where we think twice about offering skin color when describing a person's features.

Not sure why you're going off on me here...
The gist of your previous post seemed to be that people cry "racism" at the drop of a hat, thus making people such as yourself hesitant to use a term like "black" when describing someone. I didn't see that as relevant to the particular description being discussed, so I brought it back to that. I was not going off on you, but rather the mindset that such words are harmless descriptors.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:53 PM   #83
st.cronin
General Manager

A couple years back I was jumped by two guys wearing ski masks and gloves. I have no idea what color their skin was - all I could tell the police was that they appeared to be shorter than me, and one of them spoke english.

Also, I think they were worse off than me - I just ended up with a bump on my head and a few stitches. I'm pretty sure I broke one of their arms, and got a couple of hard kicks to somebody's head.

Psychically speaking, I was pretty fucked up for a while - afraid of the dark, etc. Hopefully your dad does ok as far as that.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:06 PM   #84
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Chris, abandon ship.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #85
JeeberD
General Manager

Best of luck to your father, LF10. I'll keep him in my thoughts...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #86
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

Thanks for the thought, but I certainly do not require an apology. I'm not bothered by the discussion. I'm bothered by the way it comes up. Still, it's not my place to dictate what people discuss or where or how they do it.

Still, I sincerely appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:31 PM   #87
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
The gist of your previous post seemed to be that people cry "racism" at the drop of a hat, thus making people such as yourself hesitant to use a term like "black" when describing someone. I didn't see that as relevant to the particular description being discussed, so I brought it back to that. I was not going off on you, but rather the mindset that such words are harmless descriptors.

Understood - I was trying to take the discussion on a tangent, while you brought it back to its original focus. No harm done.
how do you know?