Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #51
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Walks away silently humming an innocent tune ...

PS> I think the uptake on the HD version is going to be over 50% personally ..

Other than the visionaries bringing text sims to the market at-large, of course.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #52
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I worked at Target for awhile. I once saw someone try to return a PS2 box for store credit, with schoolbooks inside. Pack the thing up like it wasnt messed with JB, and i think you'll be okay.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #53
Loren
High School JV

Soooo does the Xbox Live area stay the same for both the Xbox and the Xbox 360? I mean will Xbox 360 ppl only get to play with Xbox 360 ppl and Xbox with Xbox..I read the two membership offers, but I still have that question, will it be all integrated? Will you still be able to keep the ppl you play with now on Xbox when you have Xbox 360..
Old 08-17-2005, 04:53 PM   #54
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I agree. I still play my favorite PS games on my PS2. Not only is it a space issue, but it can be a plus in your favor if you can convince your significant other that when you buy a new system, her brother or sister is getting the old system as a gift. If I wasn't giving my Xbox to my brother-in-law when I get the Xbox 360, I'm sure I'd have to wait until Christmas to get it as a gift then (actually it probably will still count as an early gift.)
During the late '90s I had a Nintendo 64 instead of a Playstation. When I got my PS2 I was very excited that I could not only play new PS2 games, but there was already an established library of PS1 games I had missed out (and always wanted to play). It worked out too, because two games I have in my top five of all time were PS1 games I first played on the PS2.

Since I don't have an Xbox, the 360 having true backward compatibility would be plus for me. Though I'm not too enthused with the current Xbox library so it wouldn't be as big of a selling point as it was for the PS2.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:55 PM   #55
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
Soooo does the Xbox Live area stay the same for both the Xbox and the Xbox 360? I mean will Xbox 360 ppl only get to play with Xbox 360 ppl and Xbox with Xbox..I read the two membership offers, but I still have that question, will it be all integrated? Will you still be able to keep the ppl you play with now on Xbox when you have Xbox 360..

I can't imagine that it won't all be integrated. I think the only thing that changes with the launch of the Xbox 360 is that now there will be a basic level of Xbox Live service that becomes free. If someone on an Xbox 360 is playing someone else on an Xbox in Halo2, I can't imagine they won't be able to both communicate that same way 2 people on Xboxes can.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #56
bronconick
College Starter

Count me in as one of those rarer types who still plays a few of the PS1 titles on my PS2. I sold the PS1 to a family friend for her 8 and 10 year olds a couple years ago. The only games out of about 20 that I play occasionally on PS2 from PS1 are RPG's (Chrono Cross, FF Tactics, a couple others I still haven't finished off) , but Sony did a heck of a job on getting the vast majority of RPG's on their system.

I'll probably get the Nintendo system whenever it comes out just to have access to all the nintendo and super nintendo games. Gamecube and N64 will be bonus.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:13 PM   #57
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
If it's opened, they will probably give you store credit at most, I highly doubt they would give you the money back on the Credit Card. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

i just got back from Target. they gave me a full refund in cash.

they ask me whats wrong with it, and i told them its not working for my t.v

they check inside the box to make suure serial number match the receipt.

it took only like 5 mins.

Target pretty good if you have a receipt and less than 90 days.

they are only strict if try to return an open dvd or cd, or software. then you can only exchange it for the same item.

Last edited by jbmagic : 08-17-2005 at 06:14 PM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:14 PM   #58
jbmagic
Pro Starter

ok now i cant wait to get the new xbox. its going to be a great holiday.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #59
Izulde
Head Coach

Wait wait wait, the Revolution is going to have the capacity to play *all* the NES and SNES games?!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #60
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
Wait wait wait, the Revolution is going to have the capacity to play *all* the NES and SNES games?!

They were claiming at E3 that you'd be able to download games from NES, SNES, and N64.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:12 PM   #61
Pacersfan46
H.S. Freshman Team

Maaaan .... now I have an issue. I want the hard drive, as I HATE memory cards.

On the other hand, I hate wireless controllers. When the batteries aren't fully charged, there is a delay. I don't care what people say. I know I felt sluggish playing Halo 2 online anytime I didn't have new batteries, and my play suffered for it. Yet, as soon as I put new batteries in, I was doing fine again. Until a couple days later, I'd begin to slow down. It was obvious to me why.

Now what do I do? *sigh*
Pacersfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:14 PM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Theoretically the new system shouldn't need the hard drive to work, since it will have a ton more ram and processing power. I bet its able to load anything into memory that it wants.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:38 PM   #63
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick
Count me in as one of those rarer types who still plays a few of the PS1 titles on my PS2. I sold the PS1 to a family friend for her 8 and 10 year olds a couple years ago. The only games out of about 20 that I play occasionally on PS2 from PS1 are RPG's (Chrono Cross, FF Tactics, a couple others I still haven't finished off) , but Sony did a heck of a job on getting the vast majority of RPG's on their system.

I'll probably get the Nintendo system whenever it comes out just to have access to all the nintendo and super nintendo games. Gamecube and N64 will be bonus.

FF Tactics and Chrono Cross are two of the games that I still occasionally play on my PS2 as well. Fun games.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:58 PM   #64
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde

Their big claim at E3 was that you would be able to play NES, SNES, and N64 games on the Revolution, buying them for a low price and some released for free. They were in negotiations to get rights to their old 3rd party games and how many they get won't be announced for a while, I'd imagine. That said, I can't see them having too much of a hard time. Nintendo is about the only one who seems to want to capitalize on their old franchises. There are a few re-releases out there like the Sonic Mega Collection or Mega Man Anniversary collection and they've sold pretty well at discount prices but if Nintendo throws a lot of cash at them to get the rights to those old games, I think it'd be hard to resist.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #65
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
During the late '90s I had a Nintendo 64 instead of a Playstation. When I got my PS2 I was very excited that I could not only play new PS2 games, but there was already an established library of PS1 games I had missed out (and always wanted to play). It worked out too, because two games I have in my top five of all time were PS1 games I first played on the PS2.

Since I don't have an Xbox, the 360 having true backward compatibility would be plus for me. Though I'm not too enthused with the current Xbox library so it wouldn't be as big of a selling point as it was for the PS2.

Yeah- this isn't as big an issue for the XBox as it was for the PSX/N64 when the games were only divided between 2 systems. You have a handful of games but their market is based more on having people buy the latest and greatest (FPS, Sports, etc) and not many of their games have huge staying power. Beyond, say, Halo, Halo 2, Kotor, Kotor 2, and a few others like Ninja Gaiden or Jade Empire or Morrowind, depending on your favorite genre, there's just not much there so I don't think it's too bad of a deal as long as they manage to get ports of those few big games which they have already said they would. It's not like you're going to want Madden 2004 when there's 2006 available for the system- at least not in those gamers minds.

SI

Old 08-17-2005, 11:04 PM   #66
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Tecmo Super Bowl with updated rosters?????
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:18 PM   #67
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Microsoft told developers to not rely on the HD being there when they make their games. The HD will have a few functions, like the Xbox Arcade, which will have classic games DL straight to the HD, music you can DL and play in game, and of course, being able to DL extra maps for MP games so they don't get stale.

On the one hand, I guess I don't feel as bad for Nintendo and their not having included HD in the Revolution since Microsoft is splitting their market like this. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Walks away silently humming an innocent tune ...

PS> I think the uptake on the HD version is going to be over 50% personally ..

This makes a really natural "price drop" when the PS3 comes out- you stop selling the "bargain" one and everyone gets the high quality one for the same $299. The PS3 is forced to do one of three things: sell the PS3 for $299 and take a huge loss on each one sold- not really Sony's modus operandi but possible, split their price market like the XBox so there's a $299 to compete, or just hope that more people buy your system at $399 than will buy theirs at $299. Another possibility for XBox is to continue selling their lower priced one at $249 or $199 but I would try to just get everyone hooked on our HD stuff if I were Microsoft. The bargain people aren't running to be early adopters anyways.

Frankly, I don't think it's that bad of a decision by Microsoft as most are claiming. They captured the headlines on most sites today with "X360 to cost $299" when, really, most people will get to the store, say "hm.. this $399 one is better" and end up dropping $500 this Christmas. Plus, it now puts the pressure on Sony to have to either take a big loss to compete pricewise or give Microsoft an edge in that department.

That said, there will be a fair number of naive people who wait back for the PS3 pricing, saying "let's see what it will cost"- Sony won't announce until January or February when people are less likely to drop $500 on an XBox since it's no longer Christmas and we'll either see the 299/399 price that Microsoft has or a 399 and nothing will be gained by those people.

This generation will play out a bit differently than the last two, I think, tho. Sony was in the driver's seat from pretty much the start of the PS2 while Nintendo was slated for #2 and just kindof collapsed. This generation, the PS3 has a decent edge in buzz but nowhere near last generation. Plus, with the higher prices, there will be less early adopters and more people will wait back until they get a better picture of this generation. This generation there were quite a few people who had multiple systems or started with one and switched to the other because they were displeased and at $300+, you can't do both initially or switch very easily so the gaming public is a bit more leary of what will come out for their favored system.

SI

Old 08-23-2005, 11:27 PM   #68
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just pre-ordered a few weeks ago at EB Games, and 3 days ago confirmed that I want the 399 system. If this article is correct, and I'm reading it correctly, my pre-order may not be honored? There is no way I'm paying 599 or 699 for these packages. Here is the article from Gamespot:

EB Games opens up Xbox 360 preorders

Gamers who thought Microsoft's bundles would lighten their wallets are in for more financial woes as first retailer rolls out 360 bundles.

When Microsoft announced the two-tiered pricing structure for its contribution to next-gen gaming, the Xbox 360, the shattering sound heard round the world was the simultaneous smashing of piggy banks. At $299 and $399, many gamers may not be seeing the holiday season's hottest toy under their Christmas trees this year.

However, when hot new gaming systems come out, supply is short, and demand is often so high that retailers can elect to sell the units only as parts of bundles that include accessories and games of the retailer's choosing. EBgames.com unveiled its holiday offerings today, and the prices may make some gamers feel as though they're getting "scrooged."

Like Microsoft, EB Games is offering two bundles, one for gamer's interested in the Core System and one for gamers eyeing the premium package. The Xbox 360 Core Bundle is priced at $599.93, and it includes everything in the standard package, plus an extra wired controller, a 64MB memory unit, and four games: Perfect Dark Zero: Limited Edition, Dead or Alive 4, Project Gotham Racing 3, and Kameo: Elements of Power. Using Microsoft's announced pricing for peripherals and an assumed $59.99 price point for Xbox 360 games, the package unbundled would come to $618.94.

The Xbox 360 Ultimate Bundle weighs in at just under $700. Gamers (or generous parents) willing to shell out $699.92 will get the Xbox 360 "premium" package, plus an extra wireless controller with a Play & Charge Kit, a rechargeable battery back for wireless controllers, and the four games mentioned above. Doing some quick math, the sum of the bundle's pieces would be $720.93, again assuming a $59.99 price point for games.

After choosing one-day shipping and ordering an Ultimate Bundle within California, the total comes to $777.86.

Each bundle is limited to one order per customer. A similar launch strategy was taken by online retailers for the PSP, but the no-frills Value Pack could be found on store shelves shortly after launch.

Gamers who think this is concrete evidence that DOA4, PGR3, Perfect Dark, and Kameo will be available the day the Xbox 360 is launched may want to think again. Though all are leading candidates to be available when the 360 hits store shelves, fine print at the bottom of the page reveals that "Dates and prices have not been confirmed and are subject to change."

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot
POSTED: 08/23/05 04:43 PM PST
Old 08-23-2005, 11:36 PM   #69
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Frankly, I don't think it's that bad of a decision by Microsoft as most are claiming. They captured the headlines on most sites today with "X360 to cost $299" when, really, most people will get to the store, say "hm.. this $399 one is better" and end up dropping $500 this Christmas. Plus, it now puts the pressure on Sony to have to either take a big loss to compete pricewise or give Microsoft an edge in that department.

Any site that posted the news with a headline of "X360 to cost $299," given the circumstances, is not a site I would be trusting to give me an objective analysis of the news. It would be like if President Bush said "I expect to bring the troops home within the next 6 to 18 months" and the news outlets all started reporting "Bush Says Troops Home By March."

Yes, technically there is a $299 model, but anybody who pays for that model and decides to add the other stuff later is just begging for anal penetration sans lube.

Quote:
That said, there will be a fair number of naive people who wait back for the PS3 pricing, saying "let's see what it will cost"- Sony won't announce until January or February when people are less likely to drop $500 on an XBox since it's no longer Christmas and we'll either see the 299/399 price that Microsoft has or a 399 and nothing will be gained by those people.

I agree that it's naive to wait on PS3 if you're expecting the Console Price Fairy to leave you a PS3 under the pillow, but waiting on the PS3 launch may result in a better price on Xbox 360 if market penetration by Microsoft isn't what they hope for at that point.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #70
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

eaglesfan - i'm sure if you raised hell at eb games and took it high enough you could get your $$ back. it might require going over the head of the average weenie in the store, or even the store manager though. because to me that's a bit of "deceptive advertising" or whatever you want to call it
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:47 PM   #71
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
eaglesfan - i'm sure if you raised hell at eb games and took it high enough you could get your $$ back. it might require going over the head of the average weenie in the store, or even the store manager though. because to me that's a bit of "deceptive advertising" or whatever you want to call it

I'm more hopeful that my reservation for the 399 unit will be honored. Re-reading that article, that pricing might only apply to those who are pre-ordering online or who are just pre-ordering now. At least, I'm hoping that is the case. I'm sure they'll give me back my 50 dollar deposit, if they aren't going to honor the 399 deal.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:47 PM   #72
Anthony
Banned

wow, Eagelsfan, that news is pretty hard to swallow. i'm not interested in rechargeable battery packs for my wireless controller (if i decide to go with 360, which i'm currently leaning heavily towards at the moment). paying $700 for a console is kinda stretching just how much i'm willing to devote to my video game hobby.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:47 PM   #73
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
wow, Eagelsfan, that news is pretty hard to swallow. i'm not interested in rechargeable battery packs for my wireless controller (if i decide to go with 360, which i'm currently leaning heavily towards at the moment). paying $700 for a console is kinda stretching just how much i'm willing to devote to my video game hobby.

I completely agree. If they try to say that I can't just get the system for 399, I will be cancelling my pre-order and will probably wait until the price drops to get the system.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:48 PM   #74
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm more hopeful that my reservation for the 399 unit will be honored. Re-reading that article, that pricing might only apply to those who are pre-ordering online or who are just pre-ordering now. At least, I'm hoping that is the case. I'm sure they'll give me back my 50 dollar deposit, if they aren't going to honor the 399 deal.

well i wouldn't think they'd give you the whole package for 399, but if you mean just give you the core unit for 399, i think that might be do-able. not that i'm speaking from any experience or authority
Old 08-23-2005, 11:49 PM   #75
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
well i wouldn't think they'd give you the whole package for 399, but if you mean just give you the core unit for 399, i think that might be do-able. not that i'm speaking from any experience or authority

Yeah, I'm just expecting them to give the package that Microsoft announced for 399. I'm not expecting them to give me the games and all that for 399.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:51 PM   #76
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I completely agree. If they try to say that I can't just get the system for 399, I will be cancelling my pre-order and will probably wait until the price drops to get the system.

Here's the really shitty thing: I'd be willing to bet that they won't let you cancel the preorder outright, but that they'll require that you move the money to another title. They did that to me a long time ago on a freakin' $50 game.

They had pissed me off for some reason or another, and I had two or three outstanding preorders with them. I went to cancel them, and they told me I couldn't cancel them outright, that I had to either leave them alone or move the money to another title. I was, like, 15 and didn't bother "going over the weenie's head," so I don't know if that would have made a difference.

Incidentally, when they started taking Xbox preorders back in 2001, they were requiring bundles from the get-go. I'm a little surprised that they didn't offer the preorders in a placeholder bundle of some kind with a "price subject to change" disclaimer.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:56 PM   #77
Anthony
Banned

i wouldn't find that acceptable, DaddyTargo. i think Eaglesfan was very clear in which package he wanted for that $399.

this is all silly, nonetheless. even the article mentions how for the PSP they very shortly made it possible to buy units without packages. at worst it seems Eaglesfan would simply have to wait until after the holiday season to pick up a $399 console without the bundle requirements.

i think i can afford to pick up a 360 with the bundle requirements, but it's just the principal of 2 things: being forced to purchase products i'm not interested in and with the amount you'd ultimately wind up spending on an EB bundle you could basically buy a 360 and a PS3. so it's a matter of justifying the price in my book.

and i'm also not interested in those bundle games, which makes this deal seem even less appealing. *maybe* if it was an EA bundle, with like Madden, NBA, Tiger Woods and NHL 2006...then maybe they might have possibly reeled me in.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:56 PM   #78
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Agh. I was planning to go to GameStop tomorrow to reserve my $399 system. I'll give it a shot, but if they're going to pull the same stunt that EB appears to be trying, I may have to wait.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:56 PM   #79
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Here's the really shitty thing: I'd be willing to bet that they won't let you cancel the preorder outright, but that they'll require that you move the money to another title. They did that to me a long time ago on a freakin' $50 game.

They had pissed me off for some reason or another, and I had two or three outstanding preorders with them. I went to cancel them, and they told me I couldn't cancel them outright, that I had to either leave them alone or move the money to another title. I was, like, 15 and didn't bother "going over the weenie's head," so I don't know if that would have made a difference.

Incidentally, when they started taking Xbox preorders back in 2001, they were requiring bundles from the get-go. I'm a little surprised that they didn't offer the preorders in a placeholder bundle of some kind with a "price subject to change" disclaimer.

On Thursday or Friday, I specifically asked the guy if I will be getting the bundle as announced by Microsoft for 399. The clerk told me yes, but they didn't give me anything in writing except a receipt for 50 dollars down on the Xbox 360. I don't have anything in writing that specifies that I will definitely get it for 399.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:58 PM   #80
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i wouldn't find that acceptable, DaddyTargo. i think Eaglesfan was very clear in which package he wanted for that $399.

this is all silly, nonetheless. even the article mentions how for the PSP they very shortly made it possible to buy units without packages. at worst it seems Eaglesfan would simply have to wait until after the holiday season to pick up a $399 console without the bundle requirements.

i think i can afford to pick up a 360 with the bundle requirements, but it's just the principal of 2 things: being forced to purchase products i'm not interested in and with the amount you'd ultimately wind up spending on an EB bundle you could basically buy a 360 and a PS3. so it's a matter of justifying the price in my book.

and i'm also not interested in those bundle games, which makes this deal seem even less appealing. *maybe* if it was an EA bundle, with like Madden, NBA, Tiger Woods and NHL 2006...then maybe they might have possibly reeled me in.

Yeah, I could afford to pick up a bundle. I just don't like being forced to buy games that I'm not interested in to get a gaming system. I won't buy it on a matter of principal if they do that.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:03 AM   #81
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah. now i'm no console gamer, but NONE of those games look even remotely familiar to me. i would have serious issues with that, why can't they just offer say a voucher for any 4 games released in ohh...the first year the 360 is out? I bet they'd get more bundle-orders that way. Idiots...
Old 08-24-2005, 12:04 AM   #82
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
yeah. now i'm no console gamer, but NONE of those games look even remotely familiar to me. i would have serious issues with that, why can't they just offer say a voucher for any 4 games released in ohh...the first year the 360 is out? I bet they'd get more bundle-orders that way. Idiots...

that's much easier to accept, yes.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:07 AM   #83
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'd gladly take the bundle if they did that.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:07 AM   #84
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

course i'm sure it'd be hell for them to work out. if they specify the titles they can just get a good deal from the makers on them and pre-bundle it all. So you know they're making a fucking KILLING on those games in the bundle too. But yeah I would think it would make sense for them to offer some different types of bundles "sports" "fps" "RPG" at least.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:12 AM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I may wait and see what Walmart is doing in the terms of preorders. If i have to wait in line on opening night there, in order to get the 399 system, and a copy of madden, that's what I'll do. I never bought an Xbox 1, so i am looking forward to getting some of the backwards compatible titles too, I really dont like any of the games they are bundling, except for maybe perfect dark.

Anyways, from what i had read about the last launches is that they made everyone buy bundles since the wholesale price was so high that unless you bought some of the stuff they saw a profit on, they were losing money selling you the console(After the store paid for shipping, etc)
Old 08-24-2005, 12:19 AM   #86
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Any site that posted the news with a headline of "X360 to cost $299," given the circumstances, is not a site I would be trusting to give me an objective analysis of the news. It would be like if President Bush said "I expect to bring the troops home within the next 6 to 18 months" and the news outlets all started reporting "Bush Says Troops Home By March."

Yes, technically there is a $299 model, but anybody who pays for that model and decides to add the other stuff later is just begging for anal penetration sans lube.
Yeah, but as I've contended for quite a while, the gaming media has its biases like all do. I was curious as to who fit into which category so I did a quick thumbnail survey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET
Microsoft sets Xbox 360 pricing
Pricing on the much anticipated Xbox 360 will start at $299.99, Microsoft announced Wednesday.
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+sets+Xbox+360+pricing/2100-1043_3-5836461.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
Xbox 360 pricing revealed: $299 and $399 models due at launch
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/17/news_6131245.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
GC 2005: Xbox 360 Sells For Two Prices
Two SKUs offer premium and core pricing for US and European launch.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/642/642633p1.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNBC
Microsoft reveals pricing for Xbox 360 console
On the search page-> Microsoft’s new Xbox 360 game console will retail for $299 in the United States and will be out “in plenty of time for the Christmas market”, European home and entertainment head Chris Lewis ...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8984074/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuters
Microsoft Xbox 360 console to cost $299 in U.S
Microsoft sets Xbox 360 pricing at up to $399
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...microsoft_dc_3
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...microsoft_dc_5
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Today
Microsoft to offer two Xbox 360 options
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...0-prices_x.htm

CNET has it at $299, the search page for MSNBC has $299, and Reuters has one of each. Gamespot and IGN, pretty much the top gaming sites, both have "dual pricing" motifs as does USA Today. So, they did grab their fair share of headlines for it at 299.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-24-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:22 AM   #87
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I may wait and see what Walmart is doing in the terms of preorders. If i have to wait in line on opening night there, in order to get the 399 system, and a copy of madden, that's what I'll do. I never bought an Xbox 1, so i am looking forward to getting some of the backwards compatible titles too, I really dont like any of the games they are bundling, except for maybe perfect dark.

Anyways, from what i had read about the last launches is that they made everyone buy bundles since the wholesale price was so high that unless you bought some of the stuff they saw a profit on, they were losing money selling you the console(After the store paid for shipping, etc)
The place I pre-ordered from put out a memo to their employees stating that they currently had no plans to force customers to buy a bundle in order to get their system, unless other retailers decided that they were going to. So, because of EB and probably Gamestop, I might have to either wait till after christmas to get the system, or hope to god they keep up their current plans. Damn EB for screwing me over. That being said, I had plans to pick up 2 games, but not extra accesories other than a system warranty. Madden and Perfect Dark Zero are the games that I plan to pick up.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:24 AM   #88
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I agree that it's naive to wait on PS3 if you're expecting the Console Price Fairy to leave you a PS3 under the pillow, but waiting on the PS3 launch may result in a better price on Xbox 360 if market penetration by Microsoft isn't what they hope for at that point.

That's why I plan to wait. Well, that's 10% of the reason. The other 90% is the fact that I don't see any games on the list of XBox360 games that will be available that I even want to play, let alone consider "have to have" titles. Except maybe NHL 2K6, but I wouldn't buy a new console for just one game (Ok, I would, but I'm poor so I can't justify it even to myself right now. ). So til next spring I wait to see how it all plays out.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:27 AM   #89
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
the search page for MSNBC has $299

Emphasis mine. Consider the source. Note that virtually every other article either also references the $399 price point, or attributes the $299 lede to a Microsoft representative.

Note further that many of the sources buying the $299 line are not sources to which one would ordinarily turn for gaming news.

The mainstream press is a wonderful tool if you want to release a technology-driven product, because they understand about one word in every ten that they actually print when it comes to such things.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:40 AM   #90
spleen1015
Coordinator

For those wondering, I called the EB where I have a preorder and the guy said these announced bundles are on the website only. The stores are still selling just the systems at $299 and $399.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 08-24-2005 at 11:43 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #91
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
For those wondering, I called the EB where I have a preorder and the guy said these announced bundles are on the website only. The stores are still selling just the systems at $299 and $399.

Thanks for the news. I planned on stopping by my store today to confirm (since it is on the way home from work.)
Old 08-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #92
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
Good, as I said earlier, I hope they keep it that way.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:12 PM   #93
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

for what its worth,a little birdie told me that the supply of these is going to be really, really restricted, especially since MS is losing more than $160 on each. They're hoping to cut more costs, but without competition from Sony in the short-run, they aren't really worried about not gaining the entire early adapter market. Furthermore, the PS3 is going to be more powerful according to set person - significantly so.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #94
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
for what its worth,a little birdie told me that the supply of these is going to be really, really restricted, especially since MS is losing more than $160 on each. They're hoping to cut more costs, but without competition from Sony in the short-run, they aren't really worried about not gaining the entire early adapter market. Furthermore, the PS3 is going to be more powerful according to set person - significantly so.

This doesn't make much sense - the whole point of releasing early is to get a big head-start on console sales. They may be losing money on each of the units (though I'd be surprised if it's as much as $160) but the only way they make back that money is to sell the software. They're going to sell more software if more people buy the console.

I can understand artificially limiting the initial supply for X-mas hoping to artificially up demand, but I would be shocked if supply was still low come February. Obviously they do better if there's a high rate of software sales per console, but they need to have a lot of people buying the console in the first place to drive the software sales (once you have the console, you'll probably continue buying games over the lifespan of owning it).

As for the power comparison, we'll see. I expect the PS3 is more powerful than the Xbox360, but there's some question as to whether the raw horsepower advantage is mitigated by a less-efficient architecture, and more importantly whether the difficulty of programming for that architecture vs. the simpler Xbox360 API's will blunt the ability of game makers to take full advantage of the PS3.

In a reverse of the last generation, I think you'll see most game-makers focus on making their Xbox360 version and then do a simple port for the PS3 without spending much time trying to upgrade the quality of the game, similar to how many companies currently build for the PS2 and do basic ports to the Xbox.

BTW, anyone else notice that all the Xbox360 games being advertised on EBGames are priced at $60? Looks like the game industry is trying to drive up the standard starting price for games another $10 (I suppose that's already been happening to a certain extent for PC games and new console releases).
Old 08-24-2005, 01:37 PM   #95
dervack
College Prospect

I would expect the PS3 games to be the same price, as the Blu_ray discs average $18 each.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:48 PM   #96
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
This doesn't make much sense - the whole point of releasing early is to get a big head-start on console sales. They may be losing money on each of the units (though I'd be surprised if it's as much as $160) but the only way they make back that money is to sell the software. They're going to sell more software if more people buy the console.

I can understand artificially limiting the initial supply for X-mas hoping to artificially up demand, but I would be shocked if supply was still low come February. Obviously they do better if there's a high rate of software sales per console, but they need to have a lot of people buying the console in the first place to drive the software sales (once you have the console, you'll probably continue buying games over the lifespan of owning it).

As for the power comparison, we'll see. I expect the PS3 is more powerful than the Xbox360, but there's some question as to whether the raw horsepower advantage is mitigated by a less-efficient architecture, and more importantly whether the difficulty of programming for that architecture vs. the simpler Xbox360 API's will blunt the ability of game makers to take full advantage of the PS3.

In a reverse of the last generation, I think you'll see most game-makers focus on making their Xbox360 version and then do a simple port for the PS3 without spending much time trying to upgrade the quality of the game, similar to how many companies currently build for the PS2 and do basic ports to the Xbox.

BTW, anyone else notice that all the Xbox360 games being advertised on EBGames are priced at $60? Looks like the game industry is trying to drive up the standard starting price for games another $10 (I suppose that's already been happening to a certain extent for PC games and new console releases).

hey, not my take (other than attempting to link 2 points - the high MS costs now, and the PS3's greater power) - I will suggest that this birdie is in a position of significant knowledge on the issue. We'll have to see though.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #97
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Any logical reason to think this? It seems as long as Playstation is the console of choice (as suggested by sales numbers), developers would design games for the PS3 and port to Xbox2. Especially if PS3 is in fact more powerful.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #98
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Any logical reason to think this? It seems as long as Playstation is the console of choice (as suggested by sales numbers), developers would design games for the PS3 and port to Xbox2. Especially if PS3 is in fact more powerful.

It's not necessarily the console of choice DESPITE sales. For example, Ghost Recon 2 was an Xbox-first game, even though the PS2 has a larger user base. Installed base influences what platforms you may choose to ship on (will it be profitable?), but not necessarily which one if any will be the "lead" SKU. I say "if any" in there, because it is also possible to turn different teams loose on the different SKUs, making each its own "lead".

Several factors can play into this, not the least of which is cost of development on a given platform. As alluded to above, the PS2 is more difficult to write code for than the Xbox. PS2 makes up for that by having a larger installed base, and thus typically higher sales figures. That evens it out.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:45 PM   #99
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos

The logical reason is that if you're going to produce a game for both platforms (and most software companies do so) you'd like to consolidate as much of that work as you can to save on development costs as well as time. If one of the platforms has less horsepower then it makes financial sense to build your game with the lesser specs in mind as a base level - it's usually easier to then add more complexity later than to try and pare down.

I'm in the business, and this is the tack that is taken - you design the architecture of the game so that it works for the lesser system, then if you have the resources and the inclination you can add stuff for the better system to take advantage of what it offers.

Now, the likelihood that the PS3 will outsell the Xbox360 means that there will probably be more publishers putting an effort into making their PS3 versions more than just straight ports and will try to take advantage of any PS3 edges than you see currently with Xbox versions of PS2 games. But the basic game building will still, in most cases, but designed with the Xbox360 in mind as a base level.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:59 PM   #100
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

EBGames has dropped the price for Project Gotham Racing 3, Kameo, and Perfect Dark Zero to $49.99 (there's also a Perfect Dark Zero: Limited Edition which is still listed for $59.99).
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote