Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #51
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Cougs are young but loaded with potential. Lots of offensive playmakers in particular. Games should be fun to watch, at least. We could open up 5-0 with the pansy schedule of Idaho/Nevada/Grambling(yikes!)/Oregon State/Stanford. We then get serious with UCLA/Cal/USC/ASU/Oregon/UW. I’d be ecstatic splitting those final six.

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #52
JeeberD
General Manager

I hope y'all lay a spanking on Nevada, Coug. We had a pretty fierce rivalry starting to form with them before we left the WAC...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #53
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Cougs are young but loaded with potential. Lots of offensive playmakers in particular. Games should be fun to watch, at least. We could open up 5-0 with the pansy schedule of Idaho/Nevada/Grambling(yikes!)/Oregon State/Stanford. We then get serious with UCLA/Cal/USC/ASU/Oregon/UW. I’d be ecstatic splitting those final six.
Ouch, the Beavs get lumped in with Idaho and Grambling. I thought we ended that kind of talk about 8 years ago.
Seriously, this isn’t the best team we’ve ever had, but we aren’t that bad. On the road in the expanded Reser stadium, this would be a pretty good win for Wazzu.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #54
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Washington will be doing very well to win 6 and go to a minor bowl game. The preceding was a sentence that, prior to last year, I didn't ever expect to have to write, but things change when your team goes 1-10. Big questions at QB, WR and CB. The few probable strengths are RB and DL.

At least recruiting is going well so far...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:51 PM   #55
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly
Ouch, the Beavs get lumped in with Idaho and Grambling. I thought we ended that kind of talk about 8 years ago.
Seriously, this isn’t the best team we’ve ever had, but we aren’t that bad. On the road in the expanded Reser stadium, this would be a pretty good win for Wazzu.
Agreed. I didn't mean to imply that the Beavs were that bad, merely that the early schedule made 5-0 a good possibility. I think Oregon State is definitely the toughest of those five.

Hey dawgfan, how's the Husky recruiting effort going? Haven't heard much as yet.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:00 PM   #56
Airhog
Captain Obvious

If Texas continues to have similar success over the next 3-4 years, do you think it is likely that they fire Mack Brown? He has done well with the texas program, and they have always been right there, but at what point do you decide that he just cannot get them over the top?

Of course people might start to say the same thing about stoops and his performance in the national title game. I don't know about Mack down in Austin, but everybody really loves Stoops here in norman. Im glad that I got to see them win a title in my lifetime. Do people in austin feel the same way about Mack?

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 PM   #57
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Is that the talk back home? Wow. I mean Henne should be better. Hart was great and should improve. They lost Baas on the O-line, but Michigan can always put together an excellent offensive line with big bunch of midwest farm boys. While Avant is good receiver and Breaston has amazing speed neither of them is like Braylon Edwards. Edwards could take games over (see: Michigan State). That's pretty rare for a wideout. They will be "ok" at receiver, but they will really miss Braylon Edwards.

Generally, yes. The lead commentators are of the opinion that Henne is the best in the Big 10 and why should Mike Hart be worse than he was last year. They (and a number of callers) seem to be taking particular umbridge with all the consideration that Iowa and particularly coach Kirk Ferentz is getting. They see it rather simply as them and Ohio State for the marbles. They're also grumbling a little that Purdue caught a break in scheduling by not getting Michigan or OSU this year. I should note that the commentators every once in a while try to temper their outlook (e.g. "Can Michigan get a Rose Bowl berth this year? I don't know."), but when they talk without tempering, they seem very sold on the idea of a 10-win season and that anything less will be viewed as disappointing. It's the sort of hubris that has given me such an unabashed dislike of Notre Dame and I will find it disappointing if Michigan fans start heading down this road. There is just no appreciation of how hard this truly is by some parts of the fanbase here. (God forbid we do go to some sort of playoff system. Carr would be out on a rail in short order in that case. While coaches protest the lengthening of the season from playoffs, I imagine they also don't want to have to work that much harder to satisfy overly demanding fanbases.)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:59 PM   #58
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel
Penn State Likely has the most favorable schedle over anyone. They should get off to a 5-0 start, which would almost surely land them in a bowl at the very least.

9/3 South Florida
9/10 Cincinnati
9/17 Central Michigan
9/24 at Northwestern
10/1 Minnesota
10/8 Ohio State
10/15 at Michigan
10/22 at Illinois
10/29 Purdue
11/5 Wisconsin
11/19 at Michigan State

If PSU doesn't make a bowl this year, then I'll be very sad for JoePa and it should be his last year. The non-conf's should be W's, then Illini/NW should be W's and one more win needed for a bowl. Purdue&Minny at home...one should be a win. We'll see though.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:09 AM   #59
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hey dawgfan, how's the Husky recruiting effort going? Haven't heard much as yet.

Great actually, and surprisingly so considering the 1-10 record and the reports from Notre Dame fans that Ty isn't much of a recruiter.

Our commits so far (all rankings and stars by Scout.com):
QB Jake Locker, Ferndale H.S. (Ferndale, WA) - 4 stars, #7 QB nationally
RB James Montgomery, Cordova H.S. (Rancho Cordova, CA) - 4 stars, #16 RB nationally
DT Cameron Elisara, Joel E. Farris H.S. (Spokane, WA) - 4 stars, #9 DT nationally
OT Ryan Tolar, Pasco H.S. (Pasco, WA) - 3 stars

Locker just commited yesterday, a huge get for the Huskies - he just returned from the EA Elite 11 QB camp and had offers from Michigan, USC, Cal and basically the rest of the Pac-10. The Huskies needed a QB after Matt Tuiasosopo decided to play baseball last year. Montgomery is regarded as one of the top RB in California. Elisara, besides being highly rated, is also the son of former Cougar great Matt Elisara from the early '80's and a nice steal of a guy right in WSU's back yard. Same with Ryan Tolar.

The Huskies are also top candidates to land the top-2 players in the state, WR/S Taylor Mays (son of former Husky DT Stafford Mays) and OL Steve Schilling out of Bellevue H.S. Both of these guys sport offers from USC, Michigan and Miami (FL) among others, and both are decent to good bets to pick the UW.

Contrary to the talk around Ty from Notre Dame, he seems to really be striking a positive chord with a lot of recruits. I was skeptical of the Ty hire when it happened, and I still have some concerns about his record, but I'll give credit where credit is due - he hasn't lost any of his top targets yet in recruiting and has signed 4 of them so far, a great start.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #60
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Great actually, and surprisingly so considering the 1-10 record and the reports from Notre Dame fans that Ty isn't much of a recruiter.

Our commits so far (all rankings and stars by Scout.com):
QB Jake Locker, Ferndale H.S. (Ferndale, WA) - 4 stars, #7 QB nationally
RB James Montgomery, Cordova H.S. (Rancho Cordova, CA) - 4 stars, #16 RB nationally
DT Cameron Elisara, Joel E. Farris H.S. (Spokane, WA) - 4 stars, #9 DT nationally
OT Ryan Tolar, Pasco H.S. (Pasco, WA) - 3 stars

Locker just commited yesterday, a huge get for the Huskies - he just returned from the EA Elite 11 QB camp and had offers from Michigan, USC, Cal and basically the rest of the Pac-10. The Huskies needed a QB after Matt Tuiasosopo decided to play baseball last year. Montgomery is regarded as one of the top RB in California. Elisara, besides being highly rated, is also the son of former Cougar great Matt Elisara from the early '80's and a nice steal of a guy right in WSU's back yard. Same with Ryan Tolar.

The Huskies are also top candidates to land the top-2 players in the state, WR/S Taylor Mays (son of former Husky DT Stafford Mays) and OL Steve Schilling out of Bellevue H.S. Both of these guys sport offers from USC, Michigan and Miami (FL) among others, and both are decent to good bets to pick the UW.

Contrary to the talk around Ty from Notre Dame, he seems to really be striking a positive chord with a lot of recruits. I was skeptical of the Ty hire when it happened, and I still have some concerns about his record, but I'll give credit where credit is due - he hasn't lost any of his top targets yet in recruiting and has signed 4 of them so far, a great start.
Nice job landing Locker - hadn't heard that one yet. We definitely had our eyes on him although I'm pretty comfortable at QB for the near future.

Elisara is a nice grab for you guys but I should point out that we didn't offer to him. I think the consensus feeling was that he just wasn't the right fit for us so we didn't push for him. That's not sour grapes, just what I've read.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #61
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
It's the sort of hubris that has given me such an unabashed dislike of Notre Dame and I will find it disappointing if Michigan fans start heading down this road. There is just no appreciation of how hard this truly is by some parts of the fanbase here. (God forbid we do go to some sort of playoff system. Carr would be out on a rail in short order in that case. While coaches protest the lengthening of the season from playoffs, I imagine they also don't want to have to work that much harder to satisfy overly demanding fanbases.)

I agree. It's also why I hate Notre Dame so much. Then again, I am positive you ask any Sparty out there and they'll we've been heading down that road since 1817!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #62
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I can actually relate to Spartan fans a little more than Wolverine fans, actually. I grew up with mostly UNC fans in my hometown and they were the worst winners, it seemed (I'm sure an opinion of UM fans that MSU fans have). NC State and MSU are also kindred ag-and-tech land grants while UNC and Michigan are both blue-blooded medical-business-law-liberal arts schools.

Be that as it may, I've always appreciated the pageantry of Michigan football. I can't say I'm a fan of Michigan, though, and frankly, I just starve for crumbs of ACC sports during the fall and winter while living here in Ann Arbor. I imagine you're the same way wading through all the East Coast coverage of pro and college teams for morsels of news from home.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #63
kingfc22
Head Coach

Go Blue!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #64
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Be that as it may, I've always appreciated the pageantry of Michigan football. I can't say I'm a fan of Michigan, though, and frankly, I just starve for crumbs of ACC sports during the fall and winter while living here in Ann Arbor. I imagine you're the same way wading through all the East Coast coverage of pro and college teams for morsels of news from home.

Yes. It kills me at times. The NFL coverage: two Sunday afternoon games, one a Redskins game, the other a Ravens game, is just painful. Thank god for the Sunday Ticket. But nothing is as bad as getting excited about some decent Big Ten football matchup, say a Michigan vs. Iowa game, only to find to some horrid Duke v. UNC game on. Duke v. UNC, an interesting basketball game, for sure. But just a horrible, horrible football game. Man, do I hate that. Enjoy your time in Ann Arbor! Bask in the glory of Big Ten football (not to mention local Wings and Lions coverage! )
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:49 PM   #65
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Yes. It kills me at times. The NFL coverage: two Sunday afternoon games, one a Redskins game, the other a Ravens game, is just painful. Thank god for the Sunday Ticket. But nothing is as bad as getting excited about some decent Big Ten football matchup, say a Michigan vs. Iowa game, only to find to some horrid Duke v. UNC game on. Duke v. UNC, an interesting basketball game, for sure. But just a horrible, horrible football game. Man, do I hate that. Enjoy your time in Ann Arbor! Bask in the glory of Big Ten football (not to mention local Wings and Lions coverage! )

Agreed. One of the biggest changes I dealt with moving to Baltimore from Pittsburgh was missing many a Big 10 3:30 game on ABC in order to watch Clemson vs. Virginia or UNC.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #66
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Funny, I feel the same way whenever there could be a chance to see FSU-NC State (or similar) and I get Indiana-Northwestern.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:25 PM   #67
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nice job landing Locker - hadn't heard that one yet. We definitely had our eyes on him although I'm pretty comfortable at QB for the near future.

Elisara is a nice grab for you guys but I should point out that we didn't offer to him. I think the consensus feeling was that he just wasn't the right fit for us so we didn't push for him. That's not sour grapes, just what I've read.

Elisara is an interesting case. I'm curious why Doba hadn't offered him yet, given that he had offers from LSU, Nebraska, Cal, ASU, Oregon, Stanford and Arizona. Maybe they didn't think he was a good fit, and maybe they knew they weren't going to get him so they didn't prioritize trying to change his mind. A rumor that was making the rounds on the Husky boards was that Cameron's brother, who is/was a walk-on on the Cougars wasn't getting along with the coaches or was in some way unhappy, and that perhaps that was a factor in the situation. I know his parents were vocal in saying after he committed that they were pushing for Stanford over the UW, though I don't think they'll seriously try to undermine his decision - I think that was more the Cougar fans in them trying to come to grips with their son choosing the Huskies.

Locker was a huge get. We didn't sign a QB last year with Matt Tuiasosopo choosing to sign with the M's, and Locker is a threat to do the same - he's also considered a pretty good baseball prospect and will get drafted, though it's unclear if he's as highly regarded as Matt was. I think the Huskies will need to hedge their bets and see if they can get another QB prospect as a possible greyshirt candidate if Locker comes, and offer him if Locker signs with baseball.

Side note you might appreciate - I was best man in a wedding this past weekend. The groom is a WSU alum, and he and I usually make Apple Cup bets. This last one we decided that whoever lost the bet would have to drop his pants at the wedding to show he was wearing boxer shorts from the other school. Now I've got some Cougar boxer shorts that I had to buy but will never wear again...
Old 08-02-2005, 04:32 PM   #68
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm predicting 7-4 or 8-3 for FSU's regular season. The people around here are predicting 9-2 or 10-1 (and of course the nutcases are predicting 11-0), but I don't see this team beating Miami (pick against FSU until they prove they can win) or Florida (at UF), and with either one of two redshirt freshman QBs, I have to expect a couple of Chris Rix Moments will blow one or two sure wins. The positive to this year is that we have likely QB development to look forward to, regardless of who starts. It's like a new leash on life - No More Rix! No More Rix!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #69
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I'm predicting 7-4 or 8-3 for FSU's regular season. The people around here are predicting 9-2 or 10-1 (and of course the nutcases are predicting 11-0), but I don't see this team beating Miami (pick against FSU until they prove they can win) or Florida (at UF), and with either one of two redshirt freshman QBs, I have to expect a couple of Chris Rix Moments will blow one or two sure wins. The positive to this year is that we have likely QB development to look forward to, regardless of who starts. It's like a new leash on life - No More Rix! No More Rix!

In my personal opinion trying to be as unbias as possible. 10-3(We lose to both instate rivals and lose in the ACC championship game to Virgina Tech or Miami doesn't matter because we will blow this game) Now we will likely be in the Gator Bowl which mean we will end the season 11-3. And poised to make a serious run for the national title the following season. One more point a part of me wants to say we beat either Miami or Florida and lose only 2 games the whole season. But there are far to many factors in which we won't beat either. As the season progresses things can change for the good or bad...
Old 08-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #70
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

Jeesh! How many years did Rix play at FSU 7-8 years. It seemed like he was there forever. Maybe it was because watching him play quaterback was so painful.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:38 PM   #71
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

Dola

Who are your favorites to win the Heisman this year?

I really like Matt Leinart to be the front runner from the beginning to end of the season. Reggie Bush will also have good numbers for the Trojans this season, but I take the QB over the RB. Hopefully Leinart doesn't come down with the Jason White Syndrome.

Vince Young has a lot of expectations to live up to this season after his amazing Rose Bowl(?) performance. We all know he can run the ball, but can he effectively move the ball through the air?

Other players receiving pre-season Heisman buzz: Laurence Maroney, Adrian Peterson, Chris Leak, Ted Ginn, Drew Tate, DeAngelo Williams, Chad Henne, Michael Hart, Marcus Vick... blah blah blah

Any guys you think are for sure locks to win the Heisman?

Last edited by Superman=#54 : 08-02-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #72
vex
Grizzled Veteran

My Top 4 are (in no particular order)

Leinart
Bush
Peterson
Ginn

I think it'll be really close for these four, then everyone else far behind.

Last edited by vex : 08-02-2005 at 05:55 PM.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #73
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
My Top 4 arein no particular order)

Leinart
Bush
Peterson
Ginn

I think it'll be really close for these four, and a toss-up for 5th for everyone else.
May want to turn smilies off.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”

Last edited by duckman : 08-02-2005 at 05:55 PM.
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #74
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman
May want to turn smilies off.
Yeah, I saw that

Post Editor!:P

Last edited by vex : 08-02-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:07 PM   #75
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
In my personal opinion trying to be as unbias as possible. 10-3(We lose to both instate rivals and lose in the ACC championship game to Virgina Tech or Miami doesn't matter because we will blow this game) Now we will likely be in the Gator Bowl which mean we will end the season 11-3. And poised to make a serious run for the national title the following season. One more point a part of me wants to say we beat either Miami or Florida and lose only 2 games the whole season. But there are far to many factors in which we won't beat either. As the season progresses things can change for the good or bad...

The Miami game is going to be another offensive clunker of a game, I think.

Miami- Kyle Wright's first start on the road at a rival
FSU- Two redshirt freshman qb's.

History says that Miami will make one or two big offensive plays and wins 17-7 or so. FSU's only chance is if Xavier starts channelling Charlie Ward and creates offense where there is none.

Florida? Forget it. This one might be as bad as the 2001 trip to BHG stadium.

4 of 5 road games are possiblities for losses.

at Boston College
at Virginia
at Clemson
at Florida.

I'm pretty sure they'll handle Duke.

Just, please, let the quarterbacks progress as the season goes on. Show it was Rix and not our offensive coaching staff.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:50 PM   #76
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Great first day of practice for the Sooners Can't wait for the season to start.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:55 PM   #77
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Great first day of practice for the Sooners Can't wait for the season to start.

Did you go?
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
Old 08-04-2005, 09:00 PM   #78
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Oh no, I'm stuck up north, was at work anyways. Soonersports.com has 100 pics though of practice. PM me if you want me to send you about 10 different practice reports

Last edited by vex : 08-04-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 PM   #79
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh no, I'm stuck up north, was at work anyways. Soonersports.com has 100 pics though of practice. PM me if you want me to send you about 10 different practice reports

Sweet!
Quote:
Old 08-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #80
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I may try to go to one of the scrimmages. Only chance I will get to see them in person this year, unless I happen to win tickets at work. This guy I work with actually won the Texas-OU tickets, and he gave them up, cause he was too cheap to go! GRRR.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #81
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I'm going to the OU/Tulsa game, yay

For anyone looking for a laugh, here is OU's punter(on the left) and kicker. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:53 AM   #82
JeeberD
General Manager

According to the El Paso media, true freshman QB Brandis Dew (whom USC wanted to play DT) has worked hard over the summer and gained 30 pounds of muscle. He's now 6'6 285 lbs! I wanna see some puny little linebacker try to bring him down...he'll it's gonna take an entire d-line to sack him!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 08-05-2005 at 07:53 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:16 AM   #83
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:

Is he having twins?
Quote:
Old 08-05-2005, 08:40 AM   #84
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
If Texas continues to have similar success over the next 3-4 years, do you think it is likely that they fire Mack Brown? He has done well with the texas program, and they have always been right there, but at what point do you decide that he just cannot get them over the top?

Of course people might start to say the same thing about stoops and his performance in the national title game. I don't know about Mack down in Austin, but everybody really loves Stoops here in norman. Im glad that I got to see them win a title in my lifetime. Do people in austin feel the same way about Mack?

If Texas continues to win 10 games per season, Mack Brown isn't going anywhere. He has turned the football program into a cash cow, which the administration loves. So as long as the boosters keep funneling cash into the dowry, they'll keep him around. It took Bobby Bowden 17 years to win a national championship at Florida State, you didn't hear a mob of people calling for him to get canned when Florida and Miami were winning NCs in the 80s.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #85
Tigercat
College Starter

Coaches poll is out:

1. Southern California (13-0)
2. Texas (11-1)
3. Tennessee (10-3)
4. Michigan (9-3)
5. Oklahoma (12-1)
6. LSU (9-3)
7. Virginia Tech (10-3)
8. Miami (Fla.) (9-3)
9. Ohio State (8-4)
10. Iowa (10-2)
11. Florida (7-5)
12. Florida State (9-3)
13. Georgia (10-2)
14. Louisville (11-1)
15. Auburn (13-0)
16. Purdue (7-5)
17. Texas A&M (7-5)
18. Arizona State (9-3)
19. Boise State (11-1)
20. California (10-2)
21. Texas Tech (8-4)
22. Boston College (9-3)
23. Virginia (8-4)
24. Alabama (6-6)
25. Pittsburgh (8-4)

Others receiving votes
Fresno State (9-3) 188; Oregon (5-6) 145; Utah (12-0) 103; Georgia Tech (7-5) 88; Wisconsin (9-3) 79; North Carolina State (5-6) 69; Bowling Green (9-3) 63; Penn State (4-7) 44; Colorado (8-5) 40; Minnesota (7-5) 34; UCLA (6-6) 24; Texas-El Paso (8-4) 22; Nebraska (5-6) 21; Kansas State (4-7) 20; South Carolina (6-5) 16; Notre Dame (6-6) 13; West Virginia (8-4) 12; Wyoming (7-5) 12; Clemson (6-5) 9; New Mexico (7-5) 9; Arizona (3-8) 8; Northern Illinois (9-3) 8; Southern Mississippi (7-5) 7; Toledo (9-4) 7; Washington State (5-6) 7; Iowa State (7-5) 6; Michigan State (5-7) 6; Memphis (8-4) 5; Washington (1-10) 4; Miami (Ohio) (8-5) 3; Maryland (5-6) 2; UAB (7-5) 1; Duke (2-9) 1; Kansas (4-7) 1.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:01 AM   #86
Tigercat
College Starter

Dola, good to see Meyer hype isn't being universally bought into. Thinking a coach that still has that much to prove is the next Spurrier and can bring a team from 7-5 to NC contender in his first year is beyond insane. Iowa is better than their ranking. Duke and Kansas with votes? Someone has been watching too much college basketball.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:11 AM   #87
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
Coaches poll is out:

1. Southern California (13-0)
2. Texas (11-1)
3. Tennessee (10-3)
4. Michigan (9-3)
5. Oklahoma (12-1)
6. LSU (9-3)
7. Virginia Tech (10-3)
8. Miami (Fla.) (9-3)
9. Ohio State (8-4)

OU is ranked too high, IMO.
Quote:
Old 08-05-2005, 11:19 AM   #88
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
OU is ranked too high, IMO.

Yea I would have just about swapped Iowa and Oklahoma. I can't imagine that many people voting Oklahoma in the top 5 for them to be that high. You figure quite a few had to have Oklahoma anywhere from 8-14, so how many voted Oklahoma as a top 2-4 team alongside Texas? Some coaches must really like the Big 12.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #89
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Hawaii will win 1 game! At least!
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #90
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
Coaches poll is out:

Others receiving votes
Fresno State (9-3) 188; Oregon (5-6) 145; Utah (12-0) 103; Georgia Tech (7-5) 88; Wisconsin (9-3) 79; North Carolina State (5-6) 69; Bowling Green (9-3) 63; Penn State (4-7) 44; Colorado (8-5) 40; Minnesota (7-5) 34; UCLA (6-6) 24; Texas-El Paso (8-4) 22; Nebraska (5-6) 21; Kansas State (4-7) 20; South Carolina (6-5) 16; Notre Dame (6-6) 13; West Virginia (8-4) 12; Wyoming (7-5) 12; Clemson (6-5) 9; New Mexico (7-5) 9; Arizona (3-8) 8; Northern Illinois (9-3) 8; Southern Mississippi (7-5) 7; Toledo (9-4) 7; Washington State (5-6) 7; Iowa State (7-5) 6; Michigan State (5-7) 6; Memphis (8-4) 5; Washington (1-10) 4; Miami (Ohio) (8-5) 3; Maryland (5-6) 2; UAB (7-5) 1; Duke (2-9) 1; Kansas (4-7) 1.
Who says college coaches don't have a sense of humor.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #91
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

Who the hell voted for Duke? Too bad they don't release the votes for these things.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:59 AM   #92
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Who the hell voted for Duke? Too bad they don't release the votes for these things.

What I was wondering. Must be an Alumni.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:01 PM   #93
henry296
College Starter

Quote:

Perhaps it was a protest vote by a coach who wishes they would release the votes to the public.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:36 PM   #94
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

#3 Tennessee

Slightly over rated.

Their defensive line is beastly. The offensive line has been killed by pre-season injuries. The starting center and guard have been lost for the season. If Gerald Riggs is to have a successful season the back-ups better be damn good.

The Vols have depth at all the skill positions, but at receiver they have no one who has had a really big season before. Lots of potential, but not a lot of numbers.

I really love the Vols' D-line. Haralson, Harrell, Mahelona, and Hall. 3 Seniors and a Junior. Mahelona will be a first round pick in next year's NFL draft. The linebacking core is solid. It is the defensive backfield that scares me. They allowed 236.38 pass yards per game that was good for last in the SEC in pass defense. I do not see their pass defense getting any better this year.

Key Match-ups
9/17 @ Florida
9/24 @ LSU
10/8 Georgia
10/22 @ Alabama
11/5 @ Notre Dame

Notre Dame was an aberration last season when they lost to them, 17-13. This time they go to the golden dome. Florida is the early season test which will show if Tennessee is a pretender or contender. Follow that up with a battle with LSU. After the Georgia game the schedule gets much easier. Are the Vols top 3? Maybe. Top 5? Probaly. Top 10? Definitely.

Last edited by Superman=#54 : 08-05-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:23 PM   #95
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman=#54

Top 10? Definitely.

Really? Tennessee in on one of those years that could go either way. I could see them end in the top 5, and I could also see them fall badly and barely hit the top 25. They are in a situation much like Auburn 2 years ago where they have a lot of talent, but they have enougth question marks (esp. on the offensive line) where they could fail miserably.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #96
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I've always heard that Spurrier always voted for Duke #25 whenever he did the poll. Can't remember the specific reason, but he did like his time there before going to Florida.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #97
duckman
Pro Starter

Looks like OU may use as many as half of their freshmen this season. Reggie Smith may get one of the starting cornerback spots.
Quote:
Old 08-13-2005, 09:04 PM   #98
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Looks like OU may use as many as half of their freshmen this season. Reggie Smith may get one of the starting cornerback spots.

Actually, he's at safety now.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:22 PM   #99
Tigercat
College Starter

Alley Broussard, RB LSU is out for the year with a knee injury in a scrimmage today. The bad news is, IMO, he was the best RB we have. The good news is we still have guys like Justin Vincent and Joseph Addai, both of which could start almost anywhere. Its just a shame to lose a guy that talented for the entire year.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:18 AM   #100
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Wow, I didn't realize Willingham was a voter this year...