Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #51
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

PASSING GP Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Leinart, Matt 13 156.54 412-269-6 65.3 3322 33 69 255.5

Not TOO far off from his stats last year, really. Definitly an issue worth looking into though.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:28 PM   #52
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahbrady
I just simulated a season, and there were 37 QB's that had a completion percentage over 70. Six had a QB rating of over 200.

wow that disappoints me.

when the last time a qb had a qb rating over 200 in college?

and how often qb completes 70% for the season in college?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #53
Ironhead
College Prospect

I am hoping the quarterback issue is something that is a freak occurence for the first season. Someone simmed about 4 seasons about a week ago and didn't post the stats but the only year a quarterback won the Heisman was the first year. I have a hard time believing that anyone could beat a quarterback for the Heisman that had over a 200 rating.

Wouldn't it be a little ironic if EA Sports' solution to all of the cries of how horrible the CPU completion percentages were "in-game" in the 2005 version was to increase the simmed stats? I mean, that would be such a vapid move on their part that it would be downright unreal.

Last edited by Ironhead : 07-09-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #54
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead
I am hoping the quarterback issue is something that is a freak occurence for the first season. Someone simmed about 4 seasons about a week ago and didn't post the stats but the only year a quarterback won the Heisman was the first year. I have a hard time believing that anyone could be a quarterback for the Heisman that had over a 200 rating.

Wouldn't it be a little ironic if EA Sports saw all of the cries of how horrible the CPU completion percentages were "in-game" but instead increase the simmed stats? I mean, that would be such a vapid move on their part that it would be downright unreal.

That is my hope as well. I'd love to see if one of you guys who was lucky enough to get the game early could sim through a second season and see if the stats look more realistic for QB's.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #55
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
wow that disappoints me.
when the last time a qb had a qb rating over 200 in college?
and how often qb completes 70% for the season in college?

Rating over 200 in Division I-A? Never. Record is 183.3 (Shaun King, Tulane, 1998)

NCAA overall, there have been 11 200+ ratings, from I-AA through III. Record is Mike Simpson, Eureka (Div III) in 1994; 116-158 in 10 games, 1988 yards, 25 TDs, 5 picks for a 225.0 rating.

70% Completion:
2004 Season:
Stefan Lefors (73.54%)
Clint Marks (70.38%)
Bruce Gradkowski (70.18%)

2003 Season:
Philip Rivers (72.05%)
Bruce Gradkowski (71.21%)

The record for completion percentage was 73.6% (Daunte Culpepper, UCF, 1998).
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:42 PM   #56
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Rating over 200 in Division I-A? Never. Record is 183.3 (Shaun King, Tulane, 1998)

NCAA overall, there have been 11 200+ ratings, from I-AA through III. Record is Mike Simpson, Eureka (Div III) in 1994; 116-158 in 10 games, 1988 yards, 25 TDs, 5 picks for a 225.0 rating.

70% Completion:
2004 Season:
Stefan Lefors (73.54%)
Clint Marks (70.38%)
Bruce Gradkowski (70.18%)

2003 Season:
Philip Rivers (72.05%)
Bruce Gradkowski (71.21%)

The record for completion percentage was 73.6% (Daunte Culpepper, UCF, 1998).

not very often.

but this happpen one sim season below. its a concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahbrady
I just simulated a season, and there were 37 QB's that had a completion percentage over 70. Six had a QB rating of over 200.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #57
rexallllsc
Banned

I got it. I'll try and have 4 seasons simmed in an hour.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #58
rexallllsc
Banned

jb - check your PM's
Old 07-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #59
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
I got it. I'll try and have 4 seasons simmed in an hour.

Excellent. I look forward to you posting the results.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #60
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

One game so far.

Default AA is much harder for me than what I've been reading about other peoples impressions. I threw 5 int's with Brad Smith and since it's been quite some time since I've played NCAA football (2004), I'm a tad rusty.

The running game is so much fun now.. both for me and the CPU. The CPU will run on you and I love the fact they goto their impact player(s) as much as possible, really makes you think before the snap. Passing seems dead on right now. The game was in the snow, so dropped passes were realistic, imo.

The speed seems perfect as well and the game overall is really tightened up. Seems like they spent a lot of time fine tuning things in the gameplay department. I've already seen many new animations - mostly when running the ball - and a good back rarely goes down when one defender touches him. I like the controller layout so far.

Hmmm... 8 mins seemed about right, penalties will need to be maxed out just like every year. Also, the CPU subbed in players more often, or so it seemed to me. They also seem to have added plays, and biting on the play action is never more prevlant.

The game's tight. I'm not messing with RFTH yet, nor starting a dynasty until I can get my hands on some ps2 rosters.. but I'll get plenty of games in tonight as I have the house all to myself. My wife just called and said, "I think the kids and I are staying over at my sisters house tonight." .....ok honey, looks like it's me and the ps2 tonight!
Old 07-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #61
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
One game so far.

Default AA is much harder for me than what I've been reading about other peoples impressions. I threw 5 int's with Brad Smith and since it's been quite some time since I've played NCAA football (2004), I'm a tad rusty.

The running game is so much fun now.. both for me and the CPU. The CPU will run on you and I love the fact they goto their impact player(s) as much as possible, really makes you think before the snap. Passing seems dead on right now. The game was in the snow, so dropped passes were realistic, imo.

The speed seems perfect as well and the game overall is really tightened up. Seems like they spent a lot of time fine tuning things in the gameplay department. I've already seen many new animations - mostly when running the ball - and a good back rarely goes down when one defender touches him. I like the controller layout so far.

Hmmm... 8 mins seemed about right, penalties will need to be maxed out just like every year. Also, the CPU subbed in players more often, or so it seemed to me. They also seem to have added plays, and biting on the play action is never more prevlant.

The game's tight. I'm not messing with RFTH yet, nor starting a dynasty until I can get my hands on some ps2 rosters.. but I'll get plenty of games in tonight as I have the house all to myself. My wife just called and said, "I think the kids and I are staying over at my sisters house tonight." .....ok honey, looks like it's me and the ps2 tonight!

Lucky.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:24 PM   #62
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I asked on MaddenMania... bad news:
Quote:
after season 1 sim.....22 guys over 180 rating.....4 guys over 200 rating......45 guys with 70% comp or better
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #63
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
I asked on MaddenMania... bad news:

The question is: does it correct itself after in season 2 and beyond?
Old 07-09-2005, 09:31 PM   #64
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
The question is: does it correct itself after in season 2 and beyond?
Not sure, nobody else has reported anything. Would be strange if it was just one season though... What would change afterwards to make completion percentages drop?
Old 07-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #65
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
Not sure, nobody else has reported anything. Would be strange if it was just one season though... What would change afterwards to make completion percentages drop?

Hope? I don't really know. All I know is that this was never a problem before this year so it makes little sense why it suddenly crept into the game. I mean, it isn't like EA rewrites the code for this game each year. I guess we are just hoping it disappears.

Last edited by Ironhead : 07-09-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #66
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I found Blacklover's ps2 rosters, so I'm going to start a Missouri dynasty tonight on AA defaults, penalties maxed out.

Might as well jump right into the game.

Back later...
Old 07-09-2005, 10:22 PM   #67
CraigSca
Pro Starter

OMG, TODD! Grats on getting the game!!

You're playing on the PS2 - are you seeing the slowdown issues others are seeing?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #68
korme
Go Reds

Im so incredibly bored and wish I had a copy.. I am seriously considering firing 2005 back up and just playing it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #69
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Im so incredibly bored and wish I had a copy.. I am seriously considering firing 2005 back up and just playing it.

I did that yesterday, and just started doing a sim dynasty with Rutgers. So far I'm 27-20 with 2 bowl appearances (both losses) and 2 year probation with 10 scholarships lost both years.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:19 PM   #70
rexallllsc
Banned

I simmed 4 years. After every year, there's consistently 20 players with 70 completion rates.

Does anyone think this could be to give realistic final scores in games? And to do so, player stats are out of whack? I dunno. Grasping at straws here.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #71
rexallllsc
Banned

Oh, and I do see less "hair pull out" drops on the whole.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:24 PM   #72
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
I simmed 4 years. After every year, there's consistently 20 players with 70 completion rates.

Does anyone think this could be to give realistic final scores in games? And to do so, player stats are out of whack? I dunno. Grasping at straws here.

Do sliders affect simming? What about more than 4 years - once the entirety of the initial pool of players are gone, does that help?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:09 AM   #73
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Do sliders affect simming? What about more than 4 years - once the entirety of the initial pool of players are gone, does that help?

I was thinking that (beyond 4 years). I'll try later tonight.

Sliders - I'm not sure. I'm using defaults still. On All-American, btw.

Also, completion %s seem very normal in games v. the computer......
Old 07-10-2005, 12:16 AM   #74
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was thinking that (beyond 4 years). I'll try later tonight.

Sliders - I'm not sure. I'm using defaults still. On All-American, btw.

Also, completion %s seem very normal in games v. the computer......

Well, that last bit is good news
Old 07-10-2005, 12:17 AM   #75
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yes, completion %'s in a played game are just about perfect, imo.

I won my first game of the season, 47-7 over Arkansas St. The game was closer than the score, not to mention I knocked out their QB in the first quarter. They returned the favor late in the third as Brad Smith is now out for 10 weeks.. ouch!!

They had 150+ rushing yards, I had about 180 or so. Everything else stat wise seemed good to me... again, I'm not looking for FOF type stats, just believeable.

Recruiting so far is a mixed bag. I'm starting to get into yet, but at first it's a tad confusing.. I love reading what they say about you or your school. One recruit told me he didn't like my coaching style.

I'll start checking league leaders tomorrow when I play another game.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:24 AM   #76
hollmt
High School Varsity

in simmed games that i ran at work, the stats were pretty decent. i ran it on 8 minute quarters and simmed out just a few games. some nice animations, tackles, option plays, trick plays all were being run.....however.....

the simmed season stats for passing is outrageous like everyone else has said. i ran about 4 sims. the first one, only 7 qbs were above 200 rating with about 20 or so completing 70% of their passes. WR were not dropping a damn thing. the leading dropped passes WR had 8 for the year. every other stat, rushing, tackles, sacks, etc. seem pretty good even with the simmed season.

i went ahead and adjusted the sliders for QB accurace and DB awareness, and the next season i had 14 QB with 200 or more rating and another 20+ QB with 70% or more completion. this went on every season i ran.

tomorrow i will run all the seasons in a row and see if there is any difference once the current players are gone.

overall though, it seems pretty good...but i like to run coach mode and hands off, and i think that again, unless i let the cpu play out every game...im screwed for realistic stats in simmed seasons.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 01:12 AM   #77
rexallllsc
Banned

More observations:

WRs actually catch hard passes on curls sometimes now
No super LBs yet...I just threw a quick slant right over the LB where only my WR and a good S could get it. The jukes are good and not overdone like in the version (i.e. untackleable)

I'm pretty darn happy with this so far. I'm gonna try some long bombs soon and see if I get the 4 DBs convering on the WR thing...
Old 07-10-2005, 01:20 AM   #78
sabotai
General Manager

Well, it was nice of EA to rush the game out with an obvious stat flaw so it could be in stores 2 weeks early....
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 01:43 AM   #79
rexallllsc
Banned

More thoughts - If you drop back too far, you will get sacked. Makes sense, but in past versions this wasnt always the case.

I can now get pressure sometimes with my DL.

I'll be interested to see what's up w/ this Completion issue. Other than that, a lot of positives so far.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:44 AM   #80
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Hmmmm, I wonder what the odds are of EA putting a patch out for the xbox version?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:06 AM   #81
Philliesfan980
Banned

Wow, talk about a complete gamebreaker for people who want to run a dynasty. Thanks EA, you nailed it again! Everything looks great gameplay wise, and I guess thats what it will be good for. But I don't see anyway I can play a dynasty like this.

Also, after reading over some test sims at MaddenMania, someone's sim produced results that includes *ALL* Qb's throwing at least 25 td's!

So when's Jim releasing TCY2?

(edit to include more info)

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 07-10-2005 at 06:21 AM.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:31 AM   #82
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

He didn't mean all QBs threw over 25 TDs. He said that the league high was 14 interceptions throw. Five players were tied at that mark, but none threw less than 25 TDs. He also said the worst ratio was 14-9.

Last edited by TargetPractice6 : 07-10-2005 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:31 AM   #83
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Even though the QB stats issue is one of the things that I detest EA for (blatant problem pops up that was never there before and isn't fixed), I probably could live with it fairly well. If I want all my stats to come out ultra-realistic, I generally know that I will need to play a text sim. When I want to play a graphics-based game, that isn't as big of a concern for me.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:39 AM   #84
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Even though the QB stats issue is one of the things that I detest EA for (blatant problem pops up that was never there before and isn't fixed), I probably could live with it fairly well. If I want all my stats to come out ultra-realistic, I generally know that I will need to play a text sim. When I want to play a graphics-based game, that isn't as big of a concern for me.

I agree with you on your point that it is a graphical game, and that you don't expect the stats to be drop dead realistic. But these numbers are really out of wack!
Old 07-10-2005, 08:48 AM   #85
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah, these numbers are really out of whack, but fortunately I've never really enjoyed NCAA in a text sim mode. To each his own, I suppose, but I'm really enjoying hearing that the games played out seem much more realistic than last year.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #86
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Thats what I don't get about people bitching about the "sim" mode stats and such....This is for joysticks jockeys not the die hard sim it to get 100% accurate stats for a game, it has never been built for that.

EA has never really said that either from what I can remember.

I love the TCY and the realism it brings, if I am playing NCAA it's for fun and the recruiting mode.....
Old 07-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #87
hollmt
High School Varsity

after running 5 seasons straight, the stats dont change for the QB in simmed seasons.

this is my thought on this issue though. in the RFTH mode i believe MOST people will choose to be a QB, and most people playing at the QB position will be fairly adept at it given some time. perhaps the QB rating being so high offers some competition to the player for him/her to win the heisman, and throws out some high stats (QB rating, completion %, TD/INT ratio, etc.)

this offers some challenge for the player to do exceptionally well, which he/whe will have to do, to win the trophy.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #88
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsoccersim
Thats what I don't get about people bitching about the "sim" mode stats and such....This is for joysticks jockeys not the die hard sim it to get 100% accurate stats for a game, it has never been built for that.

I love the TCY and the realism it brings, if I am playing NCAA it's for fun and the recruiting mode.....

I think people are missing the boat here, its not that we're asking for TCY like stats, just give me something in the realm of possiblity.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:29 AM   #89
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt
after running 5 seasons straight, the stats dont change for the QB in simmed seasons.

this is my thought on this issue though. in the RFTH mode i believe MOST people will choose to be a QB, and most people playing at the QB position will be fairly adept at it given some time. perhaps the QB rating being so high offers some competition to the player for him/her to win the heisman, and throws out some high stats (QB rating, completion %, TD/INT ratio, etc.)

this offers some challenge for the player to do exceptionally well, which he/whe will have to do, to win the trophy.

Not me, I'm going to be a punter.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:40 AM   #90
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It'll be awhile before I can see how the rest of the teams shape up stat wise, but as far as gameplay goes.. right now it's better than 2004.

It's going to be interesting trying to compete now that my QB is out.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #91
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
It'll be awhile before I can see how the rest of the teams shape up stat wise, but as far as gameplay goes.. right now it's better than 2004.

It's going to be interesting trying to compete now that my QB is out.

Awesome to hear, considering 2004 had solid gameplay.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #92
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

After 2 weeks, one QB has a rating of 200+, the rest are below that.

Getting ready to play my second game of the season.. will check stats after I'm done.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #93
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

After my 3rd week, 14 QB's have 200+ QB ratings. I think Phillisfan is right, not enough INT's. Oh well, not an issue for me.

It is too easy to run on AA default, so I'll have to do some slider tweaking soon.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:53 PM   #94
rexallllsc
Banned

One thing that's really noticeable for me is that it's easier to run with the ball after the catch vs. weaker teams. You can really get open and make moves once you get the ball.

vs. better teams, it's harder to do this, but you can still get open and not get pounded the second you catch it.

I started a dynasty w/ Arizona and we played NAU (d1-AA) in our second game, and I absolutely beat the crap out of them. Nice to see since in the last one when you played a d1-aa team they often hung around and/or made big plays.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:00 PM   #95
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

since high scoring was an issue in previous games, maybe they ended up decreasing the chance of INTs to keep them from being returned for Tds?
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #96
Ironhead
College Prospect

What I honestly think happened was EA saw the complaints that the computer completion percentages were low so they raised them. What they never bothered to comprehend was that it was just a problem in played games, not simmed ones.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #97
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsoccersim

I don't see how you don't get it.

I hate, hate, hate TCY. Never could play it for more than a season. And after trying all the other college football text sims out there (what? There are none? hmmm....), EA's version is the only game in town. Of course, gameplay flaws ever year have kept it from being all it could be (for "coach mode play" that is), but at least you could generally sim a few seasons for fun (1000X more fun than TCY). Now, this totally ruins that. As Philliesfan points out, the stats don't have to be exact, but this is just way too much.

This is all besides a greater point to me (and I think Philliesfan as well) that a graphic based sim would just be much fun than a text-based sim anyway. I don't enjoy very many text-based sim because most ignore the most important part of a sports sim to me : the actual game. Most text based sims have the games as an after-thought. They are hard to get into, you can't really "see" what is happening, and after you play a few games you feel like you have seen it all.

The only text sim that I can think of that did well in getting you into the game is FM, and with the little dots graphics it is even better. Sadly, though, that is not the sport I love. College football is. And the only reason I even owned a console was this game. Now, it'll be at least another year before I'll touch the thing again. *sigh*
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #98
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I should have mentioned I beat the Lobos of New Mexico - 38 to 26. Quite a fun game to boot.

I'm not sure what to think of recruiting yet. Unless I'm doing something wrong, be careful when you target your next recruits - once you select the initial X amount, I don't think you can go back and select new ones to target. I'm still learning the recruiting process though and maybe this is not such a bad idea.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:06 PM   #99
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I should have mentioned I beat the Lobos of New Mexico - 38 to 26. Quite a fun game to boot.

I'm not sure what to think of recruiting yet. Unless I'm doing something wrong, be careful when you target your next recruits - once you select the initial X amount, I don't think you can go back and select new ones to target. I'm still learning the recruiting process though and maybe this is not such a bad idea.

I'm fairly sure from the previews that you can only target 12 recruits for "in-season" recruiting to focus on. After the season, you can target more recruits.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:12 PM   #100
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
I beat the Lobos of New Mexico - 38 to 26.

I heart Todd.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote