Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #51
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Hmmmm....so you believe it would be okay to put a 4th place finisher on the cover over the top guy just because of race?
If it was a hot chick? Yes.

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #52
Desnudo
Coordinator

You can never have enough booty.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #53
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
You can never have enough booty.

there are numerous visual examples to the contrary
Old 06-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #54
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Very good question. I don't really know the answer. My initial guess is that it would be a big story, but not as big as an attractive (to some) woman finishing 4th.

Part of that may be due to the fact that there are currently a great number of women that watch racing, but I feel safe saying a disproportionately smaller number of blacks that watch racing. Smaller target audience, smaller story.

Plus there are more white women in the US today then black men.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:46 PM   #55
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
there are numerous visual examples to the contrary

Pedantic. You like the booty.

Last edited by Desnudo : 06-01-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #56
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Danica Patrick was a bigger story leading up to the race than the race itself. She was the only reason I even knew the Indy 500 was last weekend. I don't know who Dan Wheldon is. Is the fact that some dude won the Indy 500 again for the illionith time bigger sports news than a "chick" finishing 4th in the race? I'd reckon no.

The only reason she was the bigger story is because the media hype machine got behind her, if the media wanted - they could make a turd the biggest story of the week.

You don't know who Dan Wheldon is because the media hasn't put any hype behind him, maybe they should have started by giving him the SI Cover after winning the biggest race of his life, eh?
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:25 PM   #57
QuikSand
lolzcat

It's almost as if they want us to talk about and buy their magazine. Weird.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:36 PM   #58
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand

Yeah, what's up with that?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #59
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:

If that were the case, they'd put pictures of naked women in it and call it Playboy.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:08 PM   #60
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
I believe that if Fisher had comparable equipment, the she could have exceeded Danica's results.

I am not sure I would go that far, but it is worth pointing out that both her team mates out performed her over the month of May. Kenny Brack was the fastest driver in qualifying, and it was only Indy's strange qualifying rules that kept him from pole, then dropped out with car trouble (if I remember correctly). Vitor Meira finished second, and it was not a position he lucked into after a fuel gamble.

Patrick may turn out to be a great driver, but let's wait a while before we make that decision.

In my mind, the biggest story from this years Indy 500 is that the race has fallen so far that drivers like AJ Foyt IV are allowed to compete. Back in the golden age of Indy it would not have been worth the time or expense for a guy like him to show up at qualifying. If a guy like AJ is in the field, it is time to reduce the size of the field. Don't let him come back to kill somebody next year.

If I were choosing a driver for the cover of this weeks SI, I would have chosen Jimmie Johnson over any of the Indy drivers because he won what was probably the biggest race of the weekend (in the US anyway). If I wanted to sell magazines I would stick a picture of Junior on the cover (with a "What went wrong" story inside).
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #61
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

This is the most understated yet most thoughtful point in the entire thread. Thank you, Kickstand.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #62
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S
I am not sure I would go that far, but it is worth pointing out that both her team mates out performed her over the month of May. Kenny Brack was the fastest driver in qualifying, and it was only Indy's strange qualifying rules that kept him from pole, then dropped out with car trouble (if I remember correctly). Vitor Meira finished second, and it was not a position he lucked into after a fuel gamble.

Patrick may turn out to be a great driver, but let's wait a while before we make that decision.

In my mind, the biggest story from this years Indy 500 is that the race has fallen so far that drivers like AJ Foyt IV are allowed to compete. Back in the golden age of Indy it would not have been worth the time or expense for a guy like him to show up at qualifying. If a guy like AJ is in the field, it is time to reduce the size of the field. Don't let him come back to kill somebody next year.

If I were choosing a driver for the cover of this weeks SI, I would have chosen Jimmie Johnson over any of the Indy drivers because he won what was probably the biggest race of the weekend (in the US anyway). If I wanted to sell magazines I would stick a picture of Junior on the cover (with a "What went wrong" story inside).
Or a tribute to Junior Johnson (one of the original stock car drivers past away this weekend). I agree the DEI self destruction would have been a great story.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #63
Huckleberry
College Starter

I agree this is an outrage.

Seriously, what in the hell is a racecar driver doing on the cover of Sports Illustrated?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote