Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2005, 01:18 PM   #51
Raiders Army
Coordinator

At least the kid has an excuse to be stupid.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:20 PM   #52
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure honoring the men and women who went into combat and died for the country is stupid.

Especially honoring friends and family that fell.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:31 PM   #53
Schmidty
Coordinator

People will be the devil's advocate for anything. There are a lot of jaded people in the world. I think we have a decent percentage of them on this board.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:36 PM   #54
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Because of course, this was something that was so black-and-white, cut-and-dry, light-and-dark, and good-and-evil that there wasn't a page of debate before this. There certainly were never any extenuating circumstances at all and we all just hate kids and veterans, of course.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:44 PM   #55
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Because of course, this was something that was so black-and-white, cut-and-dry, light-and-dark, and good-and-evil that there wasn't a page of debate before this. There certainly were never any extenuating circumstances at all and we all just hate kids and veterans, of course.

SI

You forgot that we also hate personal property rights.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:44 PM   #56
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

SI

You do? I had my suspicions.

Seriously though, why do people argue over such small shit? Does it make you feel better about yourselves? I'm sure you've never advocated breaking rules that you thought were a bit silly, right? You've never went over the speed-limit, or littered, or jay-walked, etc. You legalists are such beacons of righteousness. I salute you and hypocrites everywhere.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #57
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
You do? I had my suspicions.

Seriously though, why do people argue over such small shit? Does it make you feel better about yourselves? I'm sure you've never advocated breaking rules that you thought were a bit silly, right? You've never went over the speed-limit, or littered, or jay-walked, etc. You legalists are such beacons of righteousness. I salute you and hypocrites everywhere.

Isn't this the same as the advocation by the religious right? So good and holy except in their own lives? You religious people hate gays and the poor. You sports fans love the stupidest sports like curling and bowling- after all, they're all sports. You like eating food and you don't like liver and onions- how hypocritical.

Never mind that speed limits, littering, and jaywalking are three completely different issues that also can't be blanket applied. A person could think that sacrificing their own public safety for speed limits is not worth it while being appalled at people who litter since it's an issue of laziness and be ambivalent towards jaywalkers.

As to "why do people argue over such small shit"- I dunno, if it's that small and insignificant, why are you gracing us with your presence in this thread?

SI

Old 05-31-2005, 02:36 PM   #58
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Mark this thread as the one where Sterlingice went over the edge. I am not sure I agree or care about either side here, but your hostility towards the guy telling the story about his daughter and people supporting the kids is unusual. Did you wake up last week and suddenly come to the realization that Bill Self will be your coach for another season?

Last edited by panerd : 05-31-2005 at 02:37 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:41 PM   #59
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
I'm sure honoring the men and women who went into combat and died for the country is stupid.

Especially honoring friends and family that fell.
I just went to one of my classmates' funeral today (Class of 1996, USMA). I'm stating this just to let you know that I do honor the men and women who went into combat and died for our country. There are ways of honoring them, and then there are inappropriate ways of honoring them. This is one of those cases. When you infringe upon the rights of others in your quest to honor them, then you are wrong (which is clearly what happened).
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:50 PM   #60
Klinglerware
College Starter

To echo the thoughts of several on this thread--this entails digging on private property, and on a gravesite no less. While I'm sure many of the veterans' families would be supportive of the kid, I am sure that other families wouldn't want a stranger digging around the remains of their kin.

On another note, I think that a lot of the interest in this story came about because a kid was spearheading this. What if the KKK were the ones doing this? Much like their use of the adopt-a-highway programs, I could see the KKK or some other organization potentially using this gesture "to remember our veterans" as a way to force people into a dillemna.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:11 PM   #61
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Mark this thread as the one where Sterlingice went over the edge. I am not sure I agree or care about either side here, but your hostility towards the guy telling the story about his daughter and people supporting the kids is unusual. Did you wake up last week and suddenly come to the realization that Bill Self will be your coach for another season?
I got no beef with Self being our coach, but can't say I'm real thrilled with the actions of a certain SG in the past week. This'll be a good season to pile on us because I just don't quite see the talent there that we've had in years past. But it will be short lived- we've got some great young talent coming down the pipes so we'll be back

Still, has nothing to do with my frustration in this thread. In the back of my mind, I keep hearing a Sports Night quote over and over: "You've gotta learn to separate the stuff from the stuff." I think most everyone's been in the situation where you just look at the larger group, be it a group of people or the general populace where you just have the frustrating feeling of "how can people be completely missing the point here" and this is what I see in this thread. And I know I'm not alone in that I've been both PM's and IM'd with people who agree with this frustration in viewing the thread.

We don't hate kids or veterans- this story is about more than that and it was twisted into a "since you're not for us, you're against us and everything good like veterans, mom, and apple pie". As for the post about Blackie, since he quoted my passage from above, it seemed he was using that as his rebuttal to my points about the story, another example of that "i bet you hate what my kid did because it was a good deed just like those kids". I could have been wrong, but my only response from him was a sarcasm laden post about kids as bleeding heart liberals who grow up and become cynical and think placing flowers on graves is meaningless tripe. Frankly, that didn't sound like someone genuinely hurt that his kid was insulted but someone who was used a good story about something good his kid did as yet another propaganda-ish "you're either with us or against us" and then had to just resort to childish "Angry much" the rest of the thread.

Even tho I thought this was put to rest last week in that the discussion was over and we'd just have to agree to disagree, it's started back up again with the same arguments about "I'm sure honoring the men and women who went into combat and died for the country is stupid."

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-31-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:17 PM   #62
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Isn't this the same as the advocation by the religious right? So good and holy except in their own lives? You religious people hate gays and the poor. You sports fans love the stupidest sports like curling and bowling- after all, they're all sports. You like eating food and you don't like liver and onions- how hypocritical.

Never mind that speed limits, littering, and jaywalking are three completely different issues that also can't be blanket applied. A person could think that sacrificing their own public safety for speed limits is not worth it while being appalled at people who litter since it's an issue of laziness and be ambivalent towards jaywalkers.

As to "why do people argue over such small shit"- I dunno, if it's that small and insignificant, why are you gracing us with your presence in this thread?

SI

To be honest, I don't care either way about this issue. It didn't really create an emotional reaction in me when I read it (or the other articles). I just thought it was interesting to see someone get so emotional and angry over something so dumb. It was very refreshing that the person wasn't me for once.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #63
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
You forgot that we also hate personal property rights.

Apparently...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:37 PM   #64
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
Your comment

they wise up when they get older and more cynical. They realize that stuff like "placing flowers on their graves" is meaningless tripe.

Especially when they have to deal with shit like this...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote