Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #51
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Update:

Crap. Three weeks is what it took me to do 2 miles straight again. I didn't get a chance to work out yesterday, not sure if that helped with my legs or not. But this was my best workout yet I guess. Started with just over 2 miles (did 2 miles at 19:30 or so and went to 20 minutes) Then I walked the rest of the 1/4 I went into getting to 20 minutes. Then a ran another quarter, walked another, ran another, then walked one more 1/4 mile. When I walk I put the incline at 6 or 7 and do a fast paced walk. Then did an easy walk until about the 37 minute mark.

After that I did my weights as usual.

Hope to repeat tomorrow morning, but we will see......

Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:15 PM   #52
digamma
Torchbearer

Ran the Twin Cities Marathon yesterday in 3:28:45. Beat my previous marathon time by 21 minutes.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:45 PM   #53
Raiders Army
Coordinator

God created cars so we don't have to run.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:54 PM   #54
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Doc: And in the future, we don't need horses. We have motorized carriages called automobiles.
Saloon Old Timer #3: If everybody's got one of these auto-whatsits, does anybody walk or run anymore?
Doc: Of course we run. But for recreation. For fun.
Saloon Old Timer #3: Run for fun? What the hell kind of fun is that?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:43 PM   #55
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Cringer, I thought you lived in Wisconsin?
Wasabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:55 AM   #56
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Doc: And in the future, we don't need horses. We have motorized carriages called automobiles.
Saloon Old Timer #3: If everybody's got one of these auto-whatsits, does anybody walk or run anymore?
Doc: Of course we run. But for recreation. For fun.
Saloon Old Timer #3: Run for fun? What the hell kind of fun is that?

Awesome.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:38 AM   #57
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Wow. I did not think I had improved in my running much until I read my last post in this thread. I kind of slacked off some during November and December. I had a bad string of weeks where I would gethome from the road Saturday morning, which means I had been up all night. I would then have to stay up all day. It would kill any Saturday workout, and usually Sunday ones too because I was still tired from lack of sleep the previous two days. So I was lucky to get in one or two decent workouts a week. Usually one good one, and one mediocre one.

Anyways. Back around the begining of December we where in a thrift store and I was looking through the used book section. There was a book on running, with the angle of working towards running a marathon. It also gave a bunch of general advice. One thing that I took note of when looking through it was the guy said don't be ashamed to take 1 minute walking breaks. That doing this will extend your ability to keep running longer. He said take the breaks as often as you want, the key is to extend your time being active as long as possible.

So I am now running 1/2 mile, and then I walk for 1 minute. Depending on the day I will vary my next walk break from that point on. This week I took just the 1 break after 1/2 mile, and then was able to run the next 2.5 miles. Today I took the first break, then at the 1 mile mark took another. I then went 1 mile and took another. Then went another 1 mile, and another 1 minute break. Then finished with runing the last 1.25 miles. So I was able to do 4.25 miles, in about 50 minutes.

The only downside is I have backed off on my weight lifting. But I am working back into doing that to the same level I was a few months ago.

One thing I think I am going to do is to start tracking my running and lifting by writing them down. I figured I am to a level where I can start to do this now. Tracking my workouts will be interesting and keep me on track more I think. Just seeing in this thread how I went from a half mile run and then walking until I hit the 15 minute mark when I started this, to now being able to do 40-50 minutes of mostly running is a pretty good feeling and I am glad I started this thread to remind me of some of this.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #58
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Can't believe I have been doing this crap for a year now.

Went for a 5.7 mile run today. Non-stop running, although I get a little slow at the end there. If I could run more then two days a week maybe I would be down to 200 lbs. by now, but oh well. I am getting there.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:48 AM   #59
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I can't run, but I bought an exercise bike, it is much more enjoyable to me...especially if I cramp up or my shin splints act up, if I'm 3 miles out, I still got to get back...on a bike, I just gotta crawl out of the basement.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #60
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer

Went for a 5.7 mile run today. Non-stop running, although I get a little slow at the end there. If I could run more then two days a week maybe I would be down to 200 lbs. by now, but oh well. I am getting there.

Wow. I can't believe you can run that far and weight 200+. That's pretty remarkable. Congratulations on a great year!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #61
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer

I started running about a month and a half ago. I'm up to about 3.5 miles at a time, and I'm having a great time with it. I'm hoping to get up to 10k range by the middle of the summer, and eventually go for a 10 mile run this summer (which will most likely involve some walking).

This site is amazing:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote