Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2005, 10:34 AM   #51
MJ4H
Coordinator

Isn't this thread for freeware? (Internet Download Manager is not freeware - it even has a 30 day trial limitation)

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:07 PM   #52
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Maybe you want to get a number of pictures and make a movie with them. If that's the case, use this:
ImagetoAVI

While on the subject of pictures, what if you wanted to send them by email, but the file size is freaking huge. Well this nifty little program can shrink down the file size, if you don't have an image editor:
PIXresizer

Have you ever wanted to create an adventure game. Well this software allows you to make point and click masterpieces:
Adventure Game Studio

Now that you created that game, maybe you want to distribute it, but you don't know want to buy some kind of installer package. Well here's a free one:
Inno Setup
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:32 PM   #53
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Actually, for picture editing and bulk tasks (and webpage creation, if you have a place to host it), I like Google's Picasa2. http://www.picasa.com/

It's what I use for a lot of my pictures if I want to get them up quickly and not worry about bandwidth (like I do with flickr) and is how I created the page of the images from the AAFB Air Show.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:33 PM   #54
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ooh. AGS looks pretty nifty. Like RPG Maker but for a different genre. I might have to check that out.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:58 PM   #55
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Actually, for picture editing and bulk tasks (and webpage creation, if you have a place to host it), I like Google's Picasa2. http://www.picasa.com/

It's what I use for a lot of my pictures if I want to get them up quickly and not worry about bandwidth (like I do with flickr) and is how I created the page of the images from the AAFB Air Show.

/tk

I did mention Picasa earlier in this thread, but I mentioned it as an image organizer. You have a great point about it other capabilities and it does give you more bang for the buck.....oh yeah, it's free. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:10 PM   #56
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
Isn't this thread for freeware? (Internet Download Manager is not freeware - it even has a 30 day trial limitation)

Sorry. When I first downloaded it, I was able to use it for free. I just decided to register it. I guess their license has changed.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:05 PM   #57
Antmeister
Pro Starter

This application can be used as both a standalone and as a plugin to an application that you already own. What that means is that you can use this software for your pictures to enhance them without having to own any image editing software. Check these out from AutoFX, they are free and they can do so much for your photos. You will have to get a serial number, but it does not take long. My favorite of the two is the Dreamy Photo. It can also be used as a plugin for a number of image editing application (Corel Photo Paint, Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop Elements and Photoshop 4.0 and above):

Dreamy Photo
http://www.autofx.com/freeplugins/dreamyphoto.asp?id=7

Mosaic
http://www.autofx.com/freeplugins/mosaic.asp?id=20

Maybe you are trying to keep track of finances, but you don't want a full blown financial software package. Try this out:

Money Manager
http://www.thezeal.com/software/manager/

Now this one is an interesting piece of software. Somehow someone has mixed astrology with a calendar. For those that subscribe to astrology, this may be something you should look into:

Insight Calendar
http://www.astro-cal.com/

Now this may seem like another image editor/organizer but this is so much more. This company has decided to give out this free software to encourage people to use their services to purchase prints and other assorted gifts. And the prices for those gifts are fairly reasonable. Check it out:

Qurio Home Photo Center
http://www.qurio.com/

Last edited by Antmeister : 05-26-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:23 PM   #58
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Here is a free thesaurus (for Windows only):
Word Web

Another free photo manager/editor (for Windows only):
Firegraphic

This one is pretty nice. Someone has went ahead and made GIMP look and feel like Photoshop. Check this out (for Windows and Mac):
Gimpshop for Windows
Gimpshop for Macintosh

And since I have been a huge fan of independent developer of games, here are a few that are pretty top notch:
Glest (real time 3d strategy game, for Windows only)
PlaneShift (a 3d MMORPG, for Windows, Mac and Linux users)
Ahriman's Prophecy (a Zelda-like standalone RPG, for Windows users only)

Last edited by Antmeister : 09-20-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:29 PM   #59
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Here is a link to a freeware MMORPG that I just saw on another thread. Thanks to illinifan999. Check out what he has to say about it here:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...90&postcount=5
Old 05-26-2005, 04:36 PM   #60
Emiliano
College Prospect

Man you are awesome!
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:39 PM   #61
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano
Man you are awesome!

Free is me. Actually some friends suggested some and others I have found.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #62
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Here are some more freeware games to enjoy:

This is one of those good strategy games:
Spice Trade (for Windows only)

Here is a page where you can download the classic GTA games for free:
Rockstar Classic Games (for Windows only)

Here is a freeware space simulator in the style of Wing Commander:
Flight Commander (for Windows only)

Here is a good standalone golf game:
Chrysler World Tours (for Windows only)
Old 05-27-2005, 09:22 PM   #63
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

One of the greatest free games sites is Liberated Games. They created a special license that allows free downloads for individual use for some old games.
http://www.liberatedgames.com/gamelisting.php

Examples of games: Descent, Doom, Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3D, GTA, GTA2, Heretic, Hexen, Homeworld, Marathon, Marathon 2, Quake, Quake 2, Tribes, Tribes 2, and Wolfenstein 3D.

SI

Old 05-27-2005, 11:22 PM   #64
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
One of the greatest free games sites is Liberated Games. They created a special license that allows free downloads for individual use for some old games.

SI

Excellent link. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:37 PM   #65
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
You want a spotlight on me while I'm blowing you? Oh, you naughty boy.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!! So is this why you've been coming to bed at 4am in the morning Ant?! Shoulda figures something was up
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 12:55 AM   #66
jbmagic
Pro Starter

here a free email to use if you dont want to use your real email address.

its just to received Email only

http://www.dodgeit.com/
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 12:59 AM   #67
timmynausea
College Starter

After formatting my hard drive a few times, I can no longer activate my copy of Microsoft Office, so I decided to check out Open Office. I've only messed with it for a couple minutes, but it seems great.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:41 AM   #68
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

Examples of games: Descent, Doom, Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3D, GTA, GTA2, Heretic, Hexen, Homeworld, Marathon, Marathon 2, Quake, Quake 2, Tribes, Tribes 2, and Wolfenstein 3D.

SI

Great!!! Thanks man. I used to play a lot of these games.
Emiliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:22 PM   #69
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
After formatting my hard drive a few times, I can no longer activate my copy of Microsoft Office, so I decided to check out Open Office. I've only messed with it for a couple minutes, but it seems great.

I am glad that worked out for you. It is pretty robust program. I am considering the switch from Office when they upgrade Office again.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:49 AM   #70
samifan24
Pro Starter

Thanks for all the links. These are great resources!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:21 AM   #71
Antmeister
Pro Starter

More...more...more

Here is a program that gives more functionality to the right click menus. Check this out, it's pretty nice:

PowerShell(for Windows only)

And this little program is very helpful if you want to create your own autorun CD. Although this can be done without software, it makes this a heck of a lot easier and can defitnitely improve workflow:
CD Interface Studio(for Windows only)

Last edited by Antmeister : 11-14-2005 at 06:02 PM. Reason: updated the Powershell link and deleted Theme Manager
Old 06-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #72
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ant, have you used Theme Manager (and the two programs it needs to run Visual Styles)? Or, has anybody? I'd be interested in it if it's not too buggy...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:58 AM   #73
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Ant, have you used Theme Manager (and the two programs it needs to run Visual Styles)? Or, has anybody? I'd be interested in it if it's not too buggy...

/tk

I have used Theme Manager, but I should've mentioned more info on it. When you download it and run it, it will ask you to download some other styles. Don't download anything but the BootSkin when the dialog box shows up.

That's because what it is asking you to download is trial version of other features of this thing they call Object Desktop. You can try them out if you wish, but to just have a scaled down version of the program, you get limited option, but it's free. They have some nice backgrounds that I use and they also have a number of boot screen that you can use as well.

I tried the shareware apps that it asks you to download and they are quite nice, but I didn't need it for my needs since I do a lot of programming and design work on my computer and couldn't get past having a normal icon. Plus the whole suite cost about $50. Not bad, but I am happy with just the Theme Manager.

So on top of that long winded response, I will finally answer the question about bugginess. I have not experienced any since using it for the past week, so give it a try if you like to customize your desktop.

Last edited by Antmeister : 06-01-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:49 AM   #74
Easy Mac

FoxIt
Free PDF Reader. Loads things far faster than Adobe with the same functionality.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php PDF Creator
Free PDF Creator. Turn any document into a PDF file.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57796&package_id=53473
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:03 AM   #75
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Neat Image
www.neatimage.com

They call it "the best noise reduction for digital cameras and scanners" and with me having just got into digital photography, I found that an interesting statement. They have some pretty good examples of what the software is capable of on their filtration examples page. Their demo is freeware for non commercial use, with some functionalities tuned out or turned off, but still a good deal. I downloaded it last night, tried it on one picture and found the effect interesting, although I would not overuse it, as it softens your picture a little. Still could be useful for outside pictures of stuff taken at long range, for example when the sky looks grainy and you're more interested in the bigger picture than the fine details...

If anybody's interested, I could post a couple of my pictures related websites later on...

FM
Old 06-16-2005, 07:59 AM   #76
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
Neat Image
www.neatimage.com

They call it "the best noise reduction for digital cameras and scanners" and with me having just got into digital photography, I found that an interesting statement. They have some pretty good examples of what the software is capable of on their filtration examples page. Their demo is freeware for non commercial use, with some functionalities tuned out or turned off, but still a good deal. I downloaded it last night, tried it on one picture and found the effect interesting, although I would not overuse it, as it softens your picture a little. Still could be useful for outside pictures of stuff taken at long range, for example when the sky looks grainy and you're more interested in the bigger picture than the fine details...

If anybody's interested, I could post a couple of my pictures related websites later on...

FM

Oooh! I am definitely going to take a look at this one. There are one that you pay for that doesn't reduce noise the way this one looks. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #77
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I hope free websites are okay, got a few ones dealing with photo sharing/collecting/storing...

ShinyFeet
http://www.shinyfeet.com/?afd=2792

Yet another free email provider, with somewhat of a twist, well two actually: no limits & a file manager. The file manager makes a virtual hard drive so you can save files when you're in between places. They also offer unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage on pictures, with a somewhat basic picture gallery. The "afd" part at the end of the link is because I get "ad free days" when people visit ShinyFeet through my link, so click away

TrekLens
www.treklens.com

Pictures from around the world abound here. They are sorted by continents, then countries, then states/province, but you can also see them by themes, all pictures posted by photopgraphy afficionados, some newbies like me, some are professionals, or if not, very close to. Because of that, while some pictures are pretty modest (mine for example ) some others are simply outstanding. Free to sign up, you can upload one pic per day and people can comment on it, or critique it, or even submit what they call a "workshop" of your picture, after they have either reworked it offline with some software (say Photoshop to highlight the colors, or soften the noise, or recrop, etc)... TrekLens allows a broad range of pics to be posted, including relatives and pets, but it also has two sister sites, TrekEarth, where you can learn about the world through photography of places (more than people or pets), and TrekNature where, as the name implies, you'll find pictures of nature from around the world. Here's a link to the pictures I have uploaded so far, keep in mind I'm fairly new to this whole digital photography, well to photography in general finally...

Flickr
www.flickr.com

terpkristin mentionned it before. It's a neat site that allows you to share pictures, and even add mouseover notes to your pictures, like in this picture of the mess that is my desk Part of the yahoo group, they don't limit the storage space you get, or the bandwidth you get, but instead they limit you to 20 MB of upload per month and they only show your last 200 pictures. The 201st oldest pic isn't deleted, it just doesn't show if people look at your list of pictures, but if you linked to it in a blog, or on a message board somewhere, it will still show...

Photobucket
www.photobucket.com

I've mentionned this one quite a few times in the past and I know many FOFCers have made this one their place of choice to host their pictures, but I thought it was worth mentionning again. For free, you can hotlink to any pics you have, store as much as 25 MB worth of pics, with a max size of 250 KB per pic. Monthly bandwidth allowed is set to 1,500 MB. If you've seen my (now dead) dynasty, that's the place I used to make clickable thumbnails (which thumbnails don't count against your storage space, they simply generate a new picture with "th_" in front of the original picture name) and to host my screenshots from the game.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 06-16-2005 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added a link to the flickr picture of my desk, showing the mouseover notes
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #78
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Oooh! I am definitely going to take a look at this one. There are one that you pay for that doesn't reduce noise the way this one looks. Thanks for the link.

No problem, I till owe you a few for the score to be even though

Remember that their freeware version is a demo with some disabled features, but from what I was able to try yesterday night, it did do a pretty good job on on of my pic. I still ended up liking the original better, since I felt I was losing too much detail by removing the noise. Maybe it was simply me being a newb with Neat Image though, and I tried it for about 5 minutes...

FM
Old 07-20-2005, 10:00 AM   #79
samifan24
Pro Starter

I just found a great program which I wanted to share with you guys. I am a sports broadcaster just out of college. The program below allows you to edit MP3s and WAVs among other files. It's a fairly in-depth program for being completely free. Enjoy!

WavePad
Old 07-27-2005, 04:28 AM   #80
Antmeister
Pro Starter

If you are run a small business or maybe you are looking for a possible way to handle emails, try this nifty piece of software out
GroupMail
Old 07-27-2005, 08:45 AM   #81
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
If you are run a small business or maybe you are looking for a possible way to handle emails, try this nifty piece of software out
GroupMail

I installed and am trying to run this, but I am having trouble setting it up with gmail...does anyone have it configured and working with a gmail account?
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #82
Easy Mac

Do you like to make internet phone calls? Do you like conference calls? Do you want a podcast with random people throughout the country?

Gizmo

I greatly prefer this to Skype, it doesn't have the IM client in it, but the conference calls are much easier and its not quite as bandwith intensive. edit, and easily record the conversation within the program.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 07-27-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:59 AM   #83
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Here is a nifty little multimedia player that plays a number of formats even DivX. What is also impressive is that this player has been created for a number of different operating systems:
VLC media player

Are you into digital photography? Do you own a computer that operates on Windows XP? Does you camera take pictures in RAW format? If this is the case, Microsoft just released a RAW Image Thumbnail and Viewer:
Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP

Maybe you want to have a better ability to organize those photos, and yet you still want the ability to do some basic editing. Well this could be for you:
Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.0
Old 08-04-2005, 03:46 PM   #84
Antmeister
Pro Starter

CW Shredder removes some variants of spyware from your computer. Also good for cleaning up browsers that have been hijacked. For Windows users only:
CWShredder

Looking for a diagnostic tool, for either Windows or Mac, that will display information about the hardware and software on your computer, then this is for you:
(Windows) Belarc
(Mac) Apple Support Tool

Look, it's another one of those photo editing programs. Check it out:
Photofiltre
Old 08-05-2005, 08:21 PM   #85
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Are you looking for an alternative to My Computer on your computer desktop that will give more detal about the drives on your computer? Well this is your solution, plus it has some other diagnostic tools as well:
Drive Manager 3.14

Tired of waiting for you system to defrag as you try to do maintenance on your computer. Well what if the process could be sped up a little faster::
Fast Defrag
Old 08-20-2005, 06:32 AM   #86
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Here is a nice BitTorrent client that will make downloading huge files easier since it uses that peer to peer networking:
ABC (Yet Another Bittorent Client)
Old 08-20-2005, 07:11 AM   #87
Emiliano
College Prospect

Cool stuff Ant. Although I switched to dual-boot system and I use Linux as first system, I still use Windows and some of these utilities look very good. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2005, 12:03 AM   #88
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Looks like Anarchy online is free to play until January of 2006. Try it out. It's free:
Anarchy Online
Old 08-21-2005, 01:10 AM   #89
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looks like Anarchy online is free to play until January of 2006. Try it out. It's free:
Anarchy Online

I'm pretty sure I started a thread about this a while back. If anyone decided to play and needs someone to team with around the same level, I've got a level ~115ish Doc running around.

SI

Old 09-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #90
mhass
High School Varsity

PagePlus SE is a desktop publisher much like Microsoft Publisher only without the bugs and odd behavior.

I've been using it quite a bit recently after getting totally frustrated with Publisher. This is the two-version-ago release of their current product PagePlus 10, with only a view limitations, the biggest being that documents can only be saved in their format. But if you just want to create nice looking documents easily, this is pretty smooth and not buggy at all. Additionally, about 10 days after you download this free version, they'll send you an email offering to sell PagePlus 9 for $9.95. That version adds in a few of the things missing in SE.

PagePlus SE

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #91
Airhog
Captain Obvious

A remake of the game privateer -

http://priv.solsector.net/downloads.htm

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #92
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
But wait....there's more...
Well when football season arrives, there is always that good old fashioned football pool that happens in offices around the country. Don't waste your time using a spreadsheet, use this nifty software here. I used it for two straight years:

Worldpools

I just downloaded this, but there is no option to change the schedule for 2005 and they havent updated the software for 2005.

anybody know of any solutions? I need my pool out today or I'm going back to doing it by hand.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #93
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
I just downloaded this, but there is no option to change the schedule for 2005 and they havent updated the software for 2005.

anybody know of any solutions? I need my pool out today or I'm going back to doing it by hand.

Damn sorry about that. They are no longer supporting it and it even looks like there online version went under as well. I will send you two other ones by PM, but unfortunately they are not free, they are shareware.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:10 PM   #94
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Okay here is a great piece of software for those of you that have cameras that shoot in the RAW format. This software will allow you to correct your RAW images and will also give you the ability to make some nice slideshows.

RawShooter - Essentials 2005
Old 09-28-2005, 03:52 AM   #95
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Here is a nice ftp client with encryption that I came across recently.
Encrypted FTP (for Windows users only)

Looking for a web authoring software. Well here is one with the ease of Frontpage and Dreamweaver and yes it's free.
NVu (for Windows, Mac, and Linux)

Now here is a small program that is an advanced version of Windows Explorer in Windows XP. This allows you to view multiple drives and/or folders with tabbed browsing.
ExplorerXP (for Windows 2000/XP only)
Old 10-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #96
Yellow5
High School Varsity

More....

QJot is a small Wordpad replacement. Loving this one and using it daily.

Features:

Integrates with the dictionary/thesaurus program, WordWeb.
Can run from Floppy or USB device.
Spellchecking integration with TinySpell.
Integration with LetMeType, autocompletion program.
Opens and Saves .doc files (Native rtf format)
Insert images and objects
Insert file into text
100-level Undo/Redo
Word Count
<600 kb disk space
More stuff so check the site for more info.

Subpad is a notepad replacement by the author of QJot. Like notepad but adds faster find/replace, most recent docs, close on ESC, roll-up caption bar, Toggle URL highlighting, column selection mode and stay on top.

Xint is another notepad replacement with more features than Subpad. Supports on the fly encryption, opens large files up to 10mb, and a ton of features.

Omziff is a small, portable text file encryption utility that will run from a USB device. It also generates random passwords, and offers simple file shredding.

Algorithms include: Blowfish, Cast128, Gost, IDEA, Misty1, Rijndael, and Twofish.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:31 AM   #97
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I need something like that except one that allows me to use vi functionalities.

I would use Vim for Windows except it feels far too clunky. I weep.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #98
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
I need something like that except one that allows me to use vi functionalities.

I would use Vim for Windows except it feels far too clunky. I weep.

You Linux hacks are so cute

SI

Old 10-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #99
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Here is an interesting piece of software. This program that is a little over 1 meg lets you view television channels around the world. Check it out:
TVexe.com (for broadband and Windows users only)
Old 10-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #100
DanGarion
Coordinator

Here is a Paint.net a pretty robust replacement for MS Paint.

http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote