Ok, finishing it you get:

A A C H W O M A N K
E P T H E R M A I D
E N N A M E B U T E
A C H C H I L D H A
S T H E L A S T N A
M E O F H I S O R H
E R F A T H E R

Each woman kept her maiden name but each child has the last name of his or her father.

Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:53 PM   #52
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
A cell phone to IM their friends to find out what the hot blog is at the moment?

DUDE!
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #53
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

Very good, bhlloy.

I'd use this version, since it's what I encoded with (I figured there would be small differences here and there).

http://www.tnrdlib.bc.ca/dewey.html
The FOFC Enigma is a self-repeating puzzle system. If you know the answer to the current puzzle, sign on to FOFC with the username "enigma" using the answer (in all lower case letters, with no spacing) as the password. If you're right -- you control the enigma, and may post the next puzzle under that username. The person who solves the enigma should post in the puzzle thread noting both the fact that the puzzle is solved, as well as the solution to the puzzle.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #54
Buzzbee
College Starter

Bump in case anyone has the time or desire to wade through the other rule sets.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:39 AM   #55
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
DUDE!

Sorry Bucc. That should be d00d!

Go back to your Apple II and your calculator watch.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #56
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
time or desire

I'm only one for two...
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:48 AM   #57
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I'm only one for two...

Ouch.

Okay, I've edited the problem description to reveal all the codes. Much easier now.
The FOFC Enigma is a self-repeating puzzle system. If you know the answer to the current puzzle, sign on to FOFC with the username "enigma" using the answer (in all lower case letters, with no spacing) as the password. If you're right -- you control the enigma, and may post the next puzzle under that username. The person who solves the enigma should post in the puzzle thread noting both the fact that the puzzle is solved, as well as the solution to the puzzle.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:23 AM   #58
Alf
Pro Starter

I am lost. And I don't even understand what we are looking for.

I will say : SESAME is the answer. (ok, call me stupid )
Old 05-04-2005, 07:23 AM   #59
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sorry, enigma... I didn't mean my comment as a slight against the puzzle, it's just that the brute force elements just are not my cup of tea.

And as for my earlier coment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
My sense is that when we untangle the codes in section three, this is going to turn out to be essentially one of those "shortstop eats spaghetti" logic puzzles, where we have a series of clues that tell us things like "the woman who invented the flea flicker never met the man who invented the hail mary" or that sort of thing. Then, using those clues and the family tree from part two, we ought to be able to answer the last question (whatever it is).

I'll award myself the "ding ding" here, I believe.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:55 AM   #60
QuikSand
lolzcat

bump?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:16 AM   #61
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

Part I is the introduction, and is a straight cryptogram. It reads:

"Four generations of this exceptional family have contributed to the success of many football teams. No one in this family, including the women, grows up without generating at least one signature play. Identify each family member by his or her position on the family tree and deduce the name of their play."

Part 2 contains some basic rules for solving the problem, and is also a straight cryptogram, with a completely different key. It reads:

"You must construct a tree. First, there are ten family members, including four married couples. A, B are married, as are C, D; E, F; H, I. C, D begat F, G. E, F begat I, while H, I begat J. B, C are brother, sister. A, C, F, I are women."

From this, you can draw a family tree diagram which you will use in solving the problem.

Part 3 is a giant suckload of reference material containing the rules you will use to solve the problem. The clue is designed to lead you to the right reference, which happens to be the Dewey Decimal System. The best reference is, http://www.tnrdlib.bc.ca/dewey.html.

Each letter in the clue is a three-digit number, pointing to the first letter of the Dewey Decimal description. Where there is a caret, then the next number references the letter that's used instead of the first one (there are no categories beginning with X or Y in the Dewey System).

This produces a set of 14 clues, which don't need to be repeated here.

Solve the problem using the chart and these 14 clues. You will get the following results (and yes, this is the only answer set fitting the clues):

A. Katie Gindin, Nickel Fade
B. Jason Rodgers, Quarterback Waltz
C. Tina Rodgers, Revenge of Voltaire
D. Michael Frye, Counter Conflagration
E. Danny Kasdan, Flood the Flats
F. Ellen Frye, Hand of Sleight
G. Frank Frye, Ghost of Unitas
H. Ralph McPherson, Eh, It's too Good for the CFL
I. Melissa Kasdan, End Around the Block
J. Michael McPherson, The Golden Hammer

Part IV contains the instructions for constructing the password. It is also a straight cryptogram with a new key, and is designed to be difficult to solve without knowing what you can plug in from the clues as potential answers.

The two-letter pieces spell out: ka ti eh ni da, which put together is the password: katiehnida.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:17 AM   #62
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

new puzzle soon...
Old 05-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #63
QuikSand
lolzcat

Wow, I had completely forgotten about (or blocked out) this puzzle.