Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2005, 08:54 AM   #51
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
And how about Mark Brunnel? Number one rated passer in the NFC. Not a single person thought acquiring him was a good idea. Gibbs was practically vilified for benching Ramsey after Game 1.

You make it sound like this all happened in the most recent off-season. Plenty of people were correct about Brunell last year, when he sucked for these same Redskins. And declaring a guy as your starter and benching him halfway through the first game is pretty ridiculous, regardless of how well the new starter has played. If he really like Brunell so much, he should have just started him from game 1 or declared the position still "open" so that switching back and forth wouldn't look so bad.

Quote:
Pinch me.

Sure thing, big boy.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:01 AM   #52
Subby
lolzcat

I'm just looking at the big picture.

Seriously though - I think this is the QB Gibbs thought he was trading for two offseasons ago. The half-baked bran muffin he had hobbling around last season was a nightmarish impostor.

It's just fun when everyone is declaring you deader than dead and you come back like this. Plus he has handled the whole situation with a lot of class, which is always nice to see.

I agree with you that Gibbs shouldn't have yanked Ramsey around like that, but I still think it is impressive that he was able to make a ballsy move like that - one that completely flew in the face of conventional wisdom and popular opinion.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:05 AM   #53
Ksyrup

Some would say "ballsy;" others would say "Spurrier-like." Other than the fact that it worked.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #54
Subby
lolzcat

The difference is I don't think Spurrier put a whole lot of thought into his decision. I guarantee there is a lot more substance to the thinking that goes into Gibbs' moves.

If you ever compare Steve Spurrier to Joe Gibbs again, I'll cut you.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Last edited by Subby : 10-24-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:14 AM   #55
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Still don't think the Redskins are all that good but you have to be happy as a fan where they are and that they are in the mix.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:15 AM   #56
moriarty
College Starter

I'll eat a little crow on this one. This is clearly NOT the Brunnell we saw last year (nor did I think we'd ever see again). I'm also shocked that a) Moss hasn't injured himself yet, and b) the Redskins are actually getting the ball to him.

I still think the defense is weaker than last year (we'll see what happens with the Arrington thing) and I'm not on the band wagon yet ... but so far I was definitely wrong.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:17 AM   #57
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm also shocked that Brunell's been able to stay healthy. Even before he fell apart last year, he couldn't stay healthy. I've been expecting him to be carried off the field at some point every week since week 2.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:59 AM   #58
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

When did Gibbs ever have a quarterback controversy that amounted to anything? I think what you saw with Ramsey was a tactical move to defuse the controversy. He had drafted a QB 1st round -- that told anyone paying attention that he doesn't have any faith in Ramsey. During the offseason and the 1st game he allowed all the folks who would be howling for Ramsey later to see exactly what he is -- a lousy QB.

I believe this is the case because the hook was so quick. If you really are committed to starting a guy, you'll let him make a few mistakes and work his way into the game.

I can't remember specifics, but I don't think this is the first time Gibbs has done this.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:09 AM   #59
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe
When did Gibbs ever have a quarterback controversy that amounted to anything? I think what you saw with Ramsey was a tactical move to defuse the controversy. He had drafted a QB 1st round -- that told anyone paying attention that he doesn't have any faith in Ramsey. During the offseason and the 1st game he allowed all the folks who would be howling for Ramsey later to see exactly what he is -- a lousy QB.

I believe this is the case because the hook was so quick. If you really are committed to starting a guy, you'll let him make a few mistakes and work his way into the game.

I can't remember specifics, but I don't think this is the first time Gibbs has done this.

Ha ha. That wasn't a tactical move to diffuse controversy. Why would Gibbs start someone just to diffuse controversy? It's not like he played Arrington the past few weeks (until Sunday) to diffuse controversy, and he certainly didn't pull Brunnell last year to diffuse controversy (he stuck with him so long it was ridiculous). Gibbs is a hall of fame coach and quite stubborn to boot, he's not really concerned with controversy.

Bottom line is he never had any faith in Ramsey. The only reason Ramsey started the year is b/c Gibbs opened his mouth in the offseason and said Ramsey would be the starter. They've pretty much made a mess of the whole QB thing up til now and Brunnell's re-emergence has bailed them out.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #60
Havok
College Starter

thank you Gibbs for proving me wrong

i love it!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #61
RedKingGold
College Starter

Let's just remember,....the Redskins played the 49ers...and I don't think they're going to the Super Bowl this year
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:54 PM   #62
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
They've pretty much made a mess of the whole QB thing up til now and Brunnell's re-emergence has bailed them out.

And this is my only point. No questioning that Brunell's been way better than expected so far.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:55 PM   #63
Ksyrup

BTW, it's B-R-U-N-E-L-L. He's brought your team back from the edge of bolivian, the least you could do is spell his name right.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #64
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
BTW, it's B-R-U-N-E-L-L. He's brought your team back from the edge of bolivian, the least you could do is spell his name right.

Hey, it's not my team.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:28 PM   #65
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

Post 26 in this thread ...
Quote:
Who pushed for Brunnell?

BTW ... you started it!

Last edited by moriarty : 10-24-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #66
John Galt
Pro Starter

ouch - the ol' switch-a-roo spelling burn.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:32 PM   #67
Ksyrup

He ain't my QB, though! And oddly enough, I have an issue with double n's...I often catch myself spelling 'thinnk' when I type fast. Plus, at the time I typed that, he really wasn't worth remembering the correct spelling of his name.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:33 PM   #68
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Hey, it's not my team.

That's my excuse too. ANd I wasn't pointing at just you. Right, Subby?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:33 PM   #69
Subby
lolzcat

Don't pull me into your twisted fantasies.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:36 PM   #70
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Don't pull me into your twisted fantasies.

And we can cross number 4 off the "Things We Thought We'd Never See Subby Post" list...

Last edited by Shkspr : 10-24-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:11 PM   #71
jamesUMD
High School JV

I feel much better now that someone dug this thread up. Moss has already been better than Coles ever was here. I am shocked as the next guy about Brunell, but hey I'll take it.