Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #51
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
Is Bradie James the new starter then or do the Cowboys go after someone else?

I would have figured Brady James would have started without the departure of Coakley, since the Cowboys are switching to a 3-4. It would have either looked like;

Coakley - Nguyen - Singleton - James

or

Coakley - Nguyen - James - Singleton

Now with Coakley gone, the Cowboys' have a need at LB. Haven't given much thought to the Cowboys' switching to the 3-4 but now I know why several mock drafts have had them selecting DE Shawne Merriman from Maryland, who a lot of scouts see as an OLB in the 3-4. David Pollack also looks to be a DE turned rush LB.

TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
I would have figured Brady James would have started without the departure of Coakley, since the Cowboys are switching to a 3-4. It would have either looked like;

Coakley - Nguyen - Singleton - James

or

Coakley - Nguyen - James - Singleton

Now with Coakley gone, the Cowboys' have a need at LB. Haven't given much thought to the Cowboys' switching to the 3-4 but now I know why several mock drafts have had them selecting DE Shawne Merriman from Maryland, who a lot of scouts see as an OLB in the 3-4. David Pollack also looks to be a DE turned rush LB.
Not according to the ESPN article:

In a Tuesday morning meeting, coach Bill Parcells told Coakley that the Cowboys would like to retain him, even if it meant releasing him then re-signing him, but that his role would be reduced as Dallas moved to a 3-4 defense.

Had he opted to remain with the Cowboys, it is likely that Coakley would have played a "nickel" linebacker role, but the Rams project him as a starter. St. Louis is rebuilding its linebacker corps and is seeking to add another veteran, possibly unrestricted free agent Chris Claiborne of Minnesota, in coming days.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-02-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #53
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

The Cowboys were going to get at least one and maybe two LB's in free agency / draft / trade anyway. Coakley's been good for us, but he's getting up there in age so I don't really have a problem with the move.

Word is Dallas has signed CB Anthony Henry. Don't know much about him except that he's definitely going to be an upgrade at right corner.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:43 PM   #54
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I mentioned that if the Cowboys' decided to stand pat with their current LB corps. Coakley (and Nguyen for that matter) are not the type of LBs that Parcells like.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:37 PM   #55
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

ESPN.com is saying the Ferguson deal is not done but they're close.

Marco Rivera G is visiting Dallas tonight.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #56
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Marco Rivera G is visiting Dallas tonight.

Damn. It'd be nice if the Packers could keep at least one of their two starting guards.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #57
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Joe Andruzzi just signed with the Browns for 4 years, $9 million. Wish GB would have pursued him as that's dirt cheap for a solid guard.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:41 PM   #58
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Word is Dallas has signed CB Anthony Henry. Don't know much about him except that he's definitely going to be an upgrade at right corner.

Pasquarelli is reporting the deal with Henry is 5 years.

Pasq also reports the Ferguson deal is done. Here are the details "The deal is a five-year, $21.5 million contract that includes a signing bonus of $9 million and will pay him $11.5 million in the first two seasons of the pact."
Old 03-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #59
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
dola

John Clayton says the Raiders have signed Lamont Jordan to a 5 year deal (no details mentioned, although I've seen $4 mil a year).

Good for him. He's a great back but obviously would never get the needed time behind Curtis. I wish him the best of luck.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:46 PM   #60
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Joe Andruzzi just signed with the Browns for 4 years, $9 million. Wish GB would have pursued him as that's dirt cheap for a solid guard.

yeah, and it makes me sad to see him go, I liked him.

Among other Pats news, they cut Roman Phifer and Troy Brown...

FM
Old 03-02-2005, 07:47 PM   #61
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

dola

John Clayton says the Raiders have signed Lamont Jordan to a 5 year deal (no details mentioned, although I've seen $4 mil a year).
Old 03-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #62
mckerney
Coordinator

Fox Sports reports that DT Pat Williams has agreed to terms with the Vikings.

Williams and Williams in the middle next year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #63
mckerney
Coordinator

Dola: 3 years, $13 million for Williams.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:59 PM   #64
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
Dola: 3 years, $13 million for Williams.

Does that put them at the minimum yet?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #65
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

SI is reporting the Pats are going to trade a 3rd rounder and a swap of like picks in another round for Cardinals CB Duane Starks.

BTW, that deal for Pat Williams looks great for the Vikings. I'm surprised he wasn't able to command more cashola.

I think Dallas overpaid for Ferguson, but alas that was likely the needed price to keep him out of the Jets' hands.

EDIT: Yep.

Quote:
Credit the salesmanship of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and coach Bill Parcells, the man who drafted Ferguson while coaching the Jets, with convincing the defensive tackle to sign. Earlier in the evening, Ferguson informed agent Jimmy Sexton that he wanted to fly home to Memphis to discuss the offers from the Cowboys and the Jets with his wife. But Jones prevailed, hustling home from a league meeting in Atlanta earlier in the day, to help recruit Ferguson.

Ferguson clearly agonized over his decision, and the Jets felt confident they could get him back, but Dallas raised its offer and clearly made a strong sales pitch.

Although he has never played in the Pro Bowl and never registered more than 4½ sacks in a season, Ferguson was a highly coveted player in this year's free agent pool, and the competition for his services was heated. So determined were the Jets to keep him that, on Tuesday, the team dispatched assistant general manager Mike Tannenbaum to Memphis, unannounced, to meet with Sexton.

Several other teams, beyond the Jets and Cowboys, were also in pursuit and most of them phoned Sexton shortly after the free agency period began.

Last edited by JAG : 03-02-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:17 PM   #66
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
BTW, that deal for Pat Williams looks great for the Vikings. I'm surprised he wasn't able to command more cashola.

Yeah, Ted Cottrel may have helped talked another former Bill into joining the Vikings. He should be great at nose tackle lining up next to Kevin Williams.

Hopefully they can add Antonio Pierce soon as well.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #67
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Cowboys gave Anthony Henry a $10 mil signing bonus.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #68
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, Ted Cottrel may have helped talked another former Bill into joining the Vikings. He should be great at nose tackle lining up next to Kevin Williams.

Hopefully they can add Antonio Pierce soon as well.

This is from The Insiders

Quote:
While the word is good on the Williams front, it now looks much less likely that the Vikings will sign LB Antonio Pierce, who seems to be priced out of what the Vikings were considering spending.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:34 PM   #69
mckerney
Coordinator

Damn.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:36 PM   #70
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Okay, so now it looks like Pierce has gone to the Giants for 26.5 over 6 with a 6.5 bonus.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:36 PM   #71
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Full details of the Henry deal.

Quote:
Henry will get a five-year, $25 million deal. The fourth-year veteran will bank a $10 million signing bonus, a $1 million roster bonus in 2005 and a $1 million roster bonus in 2006. He will be paid $18 million over the first three years of his contract.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:24 PM   #72
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Colts just released TE Marcus Pollard
Eagles resigned Buckholter
Jags signed DE Reggie Hayward to a 5-year $25 million deal ($10 mil guaranteed)
Old 03-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #73
Danny
Head Coach

The Raiders have now fit Charles Woodson, Randy Moss and Lamont Jodan under the cap while cutting some near useless players (Ray Buchanon, Roland Williams, John Parella, Ty Wheatley, Frank Middleton).

They also restructured Kerry Collins, Rich Gannon, Barry Sims and one or two other players.

I am very happy with this signing. Jordan has looked excellent whenever I have seen him and while he hasn't proven he can be a 300+ carry back, with the Raiders passing game, he should be very successful.

Now, they just need to somehow improve the defense.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #74
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
SI is reporting the Pats are going to trade a 3rd rounder and a swap of like picks in another round for Cardinals CB Duane Starks.

Done deal and they swap 5th round picks.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #75
Danny
Head Coach

Once again a nice move by the Pats getting Starks. He is not a very good corner for teams without pass rush, but is a good guy for their system
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:18 AM   #76
Tigercat
College Starter

There is a rumor that a trade of Donovan Darius for Darren Howard is in the works.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:54 AM   #77
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Out with Law, in with Starks. It seems they opted to give up a draft pick instead of spending crazy dollars on a CB in free agency. See what Henry got from the Cowboys!

I think they also are getting him to restructure his contract. I believe he had 2 years left at 3.6 mill a year. If that number comes down from there even more, I say that is not a bad cap number for the next couple of years for a solid CB, which is all they need in Foxboro (although the 3rd rounder would have been nice to get a solid LB prospect in the draft). I am wondering if Tyrone Poole is going to be gone now. I think so.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:26 AM   #78
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
There is a rumor that a trade of Donovan Darius for Darren Howard is in the works.

Where's the rumor from?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:05 AM   #79
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
Out with Law, in with Starks. It seems they opted to give up a draft pick instead of spending crazy dollars on a CB in free agency. See what Henry got from the Cowboys!

I think they also are getting him to restructure his contract. I believe he had 2 years left at 3.6 mill a year. If that number comes down from there even more, I say that is not a bad cap number for the next couple of years for a solid CB, which is all they need in Foxboro (although the 3rd rounder would have been nice to get a solid LB prospect in the draft). I am wondering if Tyrone Poole is going to be gone now. I think so.

Thing that's bugging me about Starks is I'm reading he's been injured more often than not. Anybody can confirm that? (was actually gonna ask "any Cards fan can confirm that?" but thought better of it )

FM
Old 03-03-2005, 07:34 AM   #80
Thomkal
Head Coach

As one of the few Cardinal fans out there, Starks was injured in all his seasons with the Cards, missing 6 games in 2002, the entire season in 2003, and two games this past season. Looking at his injury page at SI.com, he's had a ton of injuries.

At first I was questioning this deal, because I'm not sure who else they have at corner, but Starks isn't getting any younger and with those injuries, perhaps it was a good time to part with him and get some value for him.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #81
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Lions fans on the various Lions boards out there are going nuts right now. They want action and they want it now!

Kurt Warner was in town
Old 03-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #82
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

LB Antonio Pierce to the Giants (six-years, $26 million)
Old 03-03-2005, 01:17 PM   #83
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Lions fans on the various Lions boards out there are going nuts right now. They want action and they want it now!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:17 PM   #84
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Pierce reportedly ended discussions with the Vikings when he found that the signing bonus wouldn't be paid until this summer.

Seems kind of weak. I mean it's not like they are going to run out of GTA San Andreas or something.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #85
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
LB Antonio Pierce to the Giants (six-years, $26 million)

Pierce reportedly ended discussions with the Vikings when he found that the signing bonus wouldn't be paid until this summer.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #86
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Plaxico Burress is supposedly deciding between the Vikings and the Giants now. I'd be happy to see him go to either, if he isn't going to be in Pittsburgh. I definitely don't want to see him in our division.

The Giants would need that guy but I don't see the Vikings as needing to spend for that guy.

If the Vikings take on Burress they might as well have kept Moss unless it's a very cheap deal.

The Giants if can see splurging on him though and it making some kind of sense.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #87
Swaggs
Coordinator

Plaxico Burress is supposedly deciding between the Vikings and the Giants now. I'd be happy to see him go to either, if he isn't going to be in Pittsburgh. I definitely don't want to see him in our division.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #88
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Len Pasquarelli is reporting that the Texans have signed free agent LB Morlon Greenwood (Dolphins) to a five-year, $22.5 million contract including a $7 million signing bonus. Greenwood will earn salaries of $540,000 (for 2005), $2.56 million (2006), $3.4 million (2007), $4 million (2008) and $5 million (2009). Those salaries include $100,000 workout bonuses for some seasons.

Nick Eatman of DallasCowboys.com says the Cowboys' are close to signing Marco Rivera.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #89
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Burress would be a good fit as the #2 WR here.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:24 PM   #90
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

Not doubting you or anything, but what's your source here?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #91
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Burress would be a good fit as the #2 WR here.

I really question how good that guy is.

Maybe he'd be a good #2 but what kind of money does that cost the Vikes?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #92
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Pat Yasinskas, of the Charlotte Observer, reports the Carolina Panthers have agreed to terms with free agent G Mike Wahle (Packers). Terms of the deal weren't available immediately, but it's believed Wahle was seeking a signing bonus in excess of $10 million.

Panthers were under the radar here...I hadn't heard they were even in the running here.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #93
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
With Red still at the helm you can be sure they won't pay too much. Paying enough is not even likely.

Then I guess you are in the clear.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:41 PM   #94
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Panthers were under the radar here...I hadn't heard they were even in the running here.
Me either, but I like it. I'm a closet Panthers' fan (3rd fave team).
Old 03-03-2005, 02:43 PM   #95
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I really question how good that guy is.

Maybe he'd be a good #2 but what kind of money does that cost the Vikes?

With Red still at the helm you can be sure they won't pay too much. Paying enough is not even likely.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:51 PM   #96
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Not doubting you or anything, but what's your source here?

From ESPN Insider:

Plaxico Burress
Steelers

Mar. 3 - The Giants are interested in wide receiver Plaxico Burress, but will likely take a wait-and-see approach until his market is set, The New York Daily News reports. "I have talked to the Giants very briefly," Burress' agent, Michael Harrison, told The New York Post. "I think their top priority was offensive line and linebacker, and then they're gonna kind of flip it and see what's going on, see how much money they have left."

According to The Post, Burress is likely headed for Minnesota to replace Randy Moss.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #97
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
ESPN.com has Broncos SS Kenoy Kennedy going to the Lions.

Not a done deal. He is visiting the Lions today though.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #98
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Well I know the Pats gave him little respect in their game planning. They put munchins, one on one on him and he didn't get open.

The good game he had, one catch was total luck in the endzone on a ball underthrown.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #99
Swaggs
Coordinator

It is hard to say how good he is or can be, really. I know I have seen him play a lot over the years, and his size and speed make him pretty hard to match up with. He has a bad reputation from doing some stupid things his first few years (spiking the ball after a catch for a 1st Down w/o being touched that resulted in a fumble, public intoxication, having loud parties in an "old money" neighborhood), but in the past two or three seasons, I think he has matured and works hard now. He is overshadowed by Hines Ward, but Burress is a real good blocker.

With the Steelers, until this season (and that could just be a jinx), he never had great QBs to work with (Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox) and has always played in a run first offense. I love Ward and would choose him over Burress in a second, but I would imagine other teams worried alot more about matching up with Burress than Ward.

I would guess that Burress, if he played in the Vikings offense and stayed healthy, would put up 80+ catches and 1250+ yards. I don't see him doing anything, number-wise, beyond his typical Steelers' years playing for the Giants.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:03 PM   #100
Kodos
Resident Alien

What I like is that Plaxico's departure will help my man Antwaan Randle El move into a starting role.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote