Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2005, 07:34 AM   #51
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Kinda bummed that in manager mode the game-play isn't seen but the games do move along quite well.

This sucks.

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #52
bob
College Starter

Did anyone pick up MLB 2K5 (previously ESPN)? If so, is it any good? I'm looking for simulation over arcade style.....
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #53
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Kinda bummed that in manager mode the game-play isn't seen but the games do move along quite well

So how do you see the play results? Is it just a text description of the result?
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #54
TRO
College Prospect

Gameplay is definitely crisper. Haven't played around in Dynasty mode yet to tell if player development is better.

Xbox version for myself.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #55
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ
So how do you see the play results? Is it just a text description of the result?
Yes, and just the basics at that.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:42 AM   #56
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Why in the hell can't I ever hit the damn baseball!! I played MVP 2004 and now 2005 and I might get 5 or 6 hits a game - I either strike out or hit a lazy fly ball / weak ground ball. It just seems like I swing and hope it's in the strike zone. And the color scheme this year does me no good 'cause I'm color blind

Anybody else have this problem playing baseball games?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #57
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'll say this again: IF YOU WANT MANAGE ONLY, you need a ps2 and MLB 2006 when it comes out 3/1. I'm getting it just for that.. well, as long as it gets good reviews.

Sack, I'm home all day today. Felt the need to get some baseball playing in.

What's your gamertag? I might already have it.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:49 AM   #58
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Did anyone pick up MLB 2K5 (previously ESPN)? If so, is it any good? I'm looking for simulation over arcade style.....

I think this just came out today, and it'll likely be the one I get. I bought the ESPN versions the past two years for the franchise elements even though I preferred the gameplay of MVP actually.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #59
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I'll say this again: IF YOU WANT MANAGE ONLY, you need a ps2 and MLB 2006 when it comes out 3/1. I'm getting it just for that.. well, as long as it gets good reviews.

Sack, I'm home all day today. Felt the need to get some baseball playing in.

What's your gamertag? I might already have it.

Todd

Todd, I'm Rincewind. I won't really have much of a window to play until about 10 or 10:30 tonight, though. I've got class coming up shortly this morning, and then I work from 3:30 to 10 tonight (although I may find myself getting off work sooner than that).
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #60
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
I think this just came out today, and it'll likely be the one I get. I bought the ESPN versions the past two years for the franchise elements even though I preferred the gameplay of MVP actually.

It hit some stores yesterday - lots of iffy reviews on the Take 2 forums, but I trust the people here better than there.

Funny thing - the ESPN Videogames website for this game doesn't even state that it went gold, much less that it was released.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:21 AM   #61
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan
Why in the hell can't I ever hit the damn baseball!! I played MVP 2004 and now 2005 and I might get 5 or 6 hits a game - I either strike out or hit a lazy fly ball / weak ground ball. It just seems like I swing and hope it's in the strike zone. And the color scheme this year does me no good 'cause I'm color blind

Anybody else have this problem playing baseball games?

Took me awhile to figure out batting myself. I guess I wasn't as patient as I should be -- I had initially thought you move the L stick *while* swinging. It wasn't until I checked out that 'Hints & Tips' portion of the manual where it stated to do it beforehand or what not. Wish there was some kind of 'practice' mode, but I ended up doing the Home Run Showdown and some Mini-Games to figure out a few of the things.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:37 AM   #62
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Took me awhile to figure out batting myself. I guess I wasn't as patient as I should be -- I had initially thought you move the L stick *while* swinging. It wasn't until I checked out that 'Hints & Tips' portion of the manual where it stated to do it beforehand or what not. Wish there was some kind of 'practice' mode, but I ended up doing the Home Run Showdown and some Mini-Games to figure out a few of the things.

Yes, play the batting mini-game and hitting should get better for you.

Just played my first franchise game Cardinals (me) against the Astros. Again, the hitter's eye has to be the greatest thing I like about this year's game. Against Clemens, his pitches are VERY hard to pick up and I like the fact that different pitchers have different levels of the hitter's eye feature. You won't pick up pitches from pitchers like Clemens... and I didn't. Lost 7-0, but had 7 hits off of him lol!

Pitching is also much, much harder..imo. It's much easier to make a mistake pitch and after Mulder tired out, my bullpen made many to the Astros power hitters. I can't wait to go up against a 4th or 5th starter to see if it's easier to pick up the ball vs someone like Clemens.

The presentation is nice, the fielding is great (I use assisted), and the cutscenes are well done. Heck, the train even went down the track when Berkman went yard on me. No more warming up of the CPU pitchers in the 5th innings (at least so far).

I need much more playing time, but I feel much more involved in this game, not to mention there are walks if you are patient.. which isn't always an easy thing to do.

I really don't feel like I'm spitting in the wind when I say the game, although not a major difference, has the problems fixed from last year and has that, "one more game" feel to it thus far. It also has A, AA, and AAA as well.

There is a roster update from someone over at OS already if you have an Action Replay. It has the fake MLB players named, all transactions, and the top 100 prospects named. Very well done from what I've seen.

Todd
Old 02-24-2005, 12:01 PM   #63
Balldog
Pro Rookie

What is this "hitter's eye" thing you all speak of?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 PM   #64
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

http://www.easports.com/games/mvp2005/home.jsp
Old 02-24-2005, 01:51 PM   #65
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I really can't wait to hear if the minor league development problem was fixed.. if it was, then I will be picking this up.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #66
Lonnie
High School Varsity

As much as I want to smite EA, this 'hitter's eye' feature is tugging at my wallet.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:11 PM   #67
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Todd,

Your reviews along with information I read at Operation Sports which have convinced me the player development bug is fixed this year have convinced me to buy this on the way home from work today.

Of course, I'm on call tonight I hope I don't get paged in the middle of a game.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:38 PM   #68
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Pitching is also much, much harder..imo. It's much easier to make a mistake pitch and after Mulder tired out, my bullpen made many to the Astros power hitters. I can't wait to go up against a 4th or 5th starter to see if it's easier to pick up the ball vs someone like Clemens.

I'm going to have to practice a hell of a lot more -- or go down to 'Rookie' level!

Quote:
The presentation is nice, the fielding is great (I use assisted), and the cutscenes are well done. Heck, the train even went down the track when Berkman went yard on me. No more warming up of the CPU pitchers in the 5th innings (at least so far).

Speaking of which, have you tweaked/tuned the gameplay settings? I'm not sure if I'm using assisted fielding or not -- then again, I've only spent an hour and a half on the game itself. I'll probably find out in the menus somewhere; I'm really looking forward to figuring things out one at a time. Fielding and Baserunning, I have a feeling I'll probably suck at. Too bad there's no mini-games to help me practice those out...

Quote:
There is a roster update from someone over at OS already if you have an Action Replay. It has the fake MLB players named, all transactions, and the top 100 prospects named. Very well done from what I've seen.

Which particular roster set should I be looking at? I've got an Action Replay for the XBOX, I might very well go right ahead and check it out then.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 02-24-2005, 02:52 PM   #69
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

At least in the New Orleans area, this game appears to be sold out. I stopped at my local EB Games on the way home and they sold out of their PS2 and Xbox copies. I called a Babbage's and they are also sold out. Stores have said they haven't had one return yet.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-24-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:26 PM   #70
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
At least in the New Orleans area, this game appears to be sold out. I stopped at my local EB Games on the way home and they sold out of their PS2 and Xbox copies. I called a Babbage's and they are also sold out. Stores have said they haven't had one return yet.

I've seen a bunch of copies around Cincinnati yesterday and today.

But since I picked up ESPN MLB 2K5 along with Gran Turismo the other night I think EA will have to live without my $29 for a little while.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #71
SackAttack
Head Coach

The owner mode is pretty sweet. I wish, though, that the whole 'build your own stadium' thing weren't forced on you from the get-go, but were something you could work towards. The land options, for example, should have different costs, and you should have to buy the plot on which your stadium is getting plopped. And then from there you could design your original stadium and subsequent add-ons, subject to permitting finances.

Still pretty cool, though.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:12 PM   #72
sooner333
College Starter

Are you guys using owner mode or Dynasty mode for your season mode when you play out the games?
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:14 PM   #73
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Here is a direct link to the roster file for those of you who have an Xbox and an Action Replay: http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...achmentid=1038

From what I've seen so far, it's a great roster.

I haven't changed any sliders yet. I've been playing on All-Start default, assissted fielding (you just throw the ball, but I like that better), hitter's eye camera when batting and broadcast camera when fielding. I have hitter's eye turned on and everything else off EXCEPT for the pitch cursor. With the improved difficulty in pitching I like the cursor on. I'm 0-2 so far in my dynasty and the CPU is hitting me just fine with these settings.

There is a thread on OS where someone simmed 10 seasons and said the player development bug is gone. In fact, I haven't read about anything bug wise yet.. at least none of significance or something that's not "the red in the Cubs logo has too much red in it"

Off to play some more.. this game is taking too much of my time up.

Todd
Old 02-24-2005, 06:16 PM   #74
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333
Are you guys using owner mode or Dynasty mode for your season mode when you play out the games?

I'm using dynasty mode.

Todd
Old 02-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #75
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Here is a direct link to the roster file for those of you who have an Xbox and an Action Replay: http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...achmentid=1038

From what I've seen so far, it's a great roster.

I haven't changed any sliders yet. I've been playing on All-Start default, assissted fielding (you just throw the ball, but I like that better), hitter's eye camera when batting and broadcast camera when fielding. I have hitter's eye turned on and everything else off EXCEPT for the pitch cursor. With the improved difficulty in pitching I like the cursor on. I'm 0-2 so far in my dynasty and the CPU is hitting me just fine with these settings.

There is a thread on OS where someone simmed 10 seasons and said the player development bug is gone. In fact, I haven't read about anything bug wise yet.. at least none of significance or something that's not "the red in the Cubs logo has too much red in it"

Off to play some more.. this game is taking too much of my time up.

Todd

Sweet beans. I'll give this a go shortly after dinner, though I think I'll stay at the "Pro" level to see if I can hang with things. Nonetheless, I'll change my fielding to assisted...probably those horrible angles I took last night accounted for unnecessary triples that I kept getting worked with.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 02-24-2005, 08:15 PM   #76
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Sweet beans. I'll give this a go shortly after dinner, though I think I'll stay at the "Pro" level to see if I can hang with things. Nonetheless, I'll change my fielding to assisted...probably those horrible angles I took last night accounted for unnecessary triples that I kept getting worked with.

Yeah, I still can't hit really well on All-Star. Just lost to Philly 3-1 in 14 innings. All these power hitters and no homeruns yet for me.

Todd
Old 02-24-2005, 08:17 PM   #77
vex
Grizzled Veteran

So would you all recommend MVP or 2K5?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:29 PM   #78
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I still can't hit really well on All-Star. Just lost to Philly 3-1 in 14 innings. All these power hitters and no homeruns yet for me.

Todd

The fact that you're able to finish the game without being blown out speaks volumes! I'm atrocious at this. Being down 8-1 early in a game has had it's everlasting effect on me. Still, hopefully I can keep pace with the team -- though ironically, my first score was a homerun. I still think it was a lucky fluke, and I'm just so used to moving the L stick to locate where I want to swing my bat at.

I'll hopefully get a few games in tonight with that fielding assist turned on -- having the pitcher drop a bunt, advance all the runners, and /still/ make it to 1st safely was rather frustrating. All this glory on 'Pro' too! Perhaps I should consider taking it down a notch to get the hang and feel of the gameplay. So far, however, I'm really digging it; especially since the last EA baseball game that I played was Triple Play.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 02-24-2005, 08:49 PM   #79
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

A few tips to stop other teams from trashing you. First, never pitch the same pitch back-to-back. Second, never throw a pitch in the same place back-to-back. Pitch low in the zone 80-90% of the time, pitching up in the zone will cause HRs. When batting, be patient, I rarely swing on the first pitch.
Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #80
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This game is sounding more exciting... I might have to go by CompUSA and another Electronics Botique tomorrow if my call night doesn't go too bad tonight. I've read a lot of interesting information on OS that makes me think this game could finally answer my console baseball needs.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #81
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I kind of wish they had a one swing option like MLB 2k4 did last year. I agree that moving the stick and hitting the ball is hard at times. I'm 0-4 so far. I have a friend who hits the sheeit out of the ball though. I've changed the view to #4 (center) and that has helped my hitting somewhat.

Todd
Old 02-24-2005, 09:10 PM   #82
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Ok, I've got it... a couple of questions.

A. I see if I edit a player they have a star rating for their future career. Where can I find these without going into edit for each player? There are hundreds of minor league FA's - but there is no way to tell one from another.

B. Is there anywhere I can just sort my roster by attributes or do I need to write down what everyone can do to keep track?
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #83
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i never played MVP baseball

how is it compare to High Heat?

i thinking of getting MVP 2005 for the PC
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:30 PM   #84
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've read the PC version has a lot of stuttering, of course I'm sure they'll probably patch it sometime down the road. If you want to read up on the pc version, check here:

www.mvpmods.com

Todd
Old 02-25-2005, 03:49 AM   #85
SackAttack
Head Coach

Woo. I finally had a solid offensive game, beating up on the D'Backs 8-3.

Well, solid offensive inning, more like, as I hung a 7 spot on Brad Halsey's neck in the 2nd. Three seeing-eye singles, followed by a David Ross grand slam, followed by an Ishii single (it really wasn't Halsey's day), a couple more runs - we had like 7 straight hits at one point - and the manager had enough and gave him the hook. We didn't score again the rest of the game, but 7 in one inning is satisfactory.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #86
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
A few tips to stop other teams from trashing you. First, never pitch the same pitch back-to-back.

Not true. I've been able to throw the same pitch in the same location back to back even. Obviously, it is not something you want to do regularly, but you can throw back to back pitches successfully if you've been mixing things up regularly, just don't make the second pitch a fat one.

In fact, I've given up quite a few HR by changing pitch types and throwing to the opposite corner.

As for the rest of your comments, definitely try to keep the ball low and to stay patient. I have a hard time with the patience thing myself.

Last edited by TRO : 02-25-2005 at 09:33 AM.
TRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:38 AM   #87
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Just saw this in the Dallas Fry's Ad for $25 for those that may be interested. I think I'll pick up a copy at lunch.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:24 PM   #88
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hey, I'm 0-6 and about to get swept again.

Todd
Old 02-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #89
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm 5-1 in my Owner Mode career, although a couple of those have been near things.

I'm 1-1 online, however, so I'm glad I didn't have to wait too long for my first victory
Old 02-25-2005, 02:57 PM   #90
RGunner
High School JV

Just picked this up today, going out soon for a while though, but when i get back gunna try it out if anyone wants an xbox live game, just PM me and Ill lose to you.
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:46 PM   #91
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just picked this up for 29.99 from Best Buy. I have to do a few errands but am looking forward to trying it out soon.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #92
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I would be all over this game right now, but I am currently in lovely Greensburg, Pennsylvania, without a computer or an XBox right now. I will be back home on Sunday. I hope I can find a copy of the game in New Orleans.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:57 PM   #93
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I would be all over this game right now, but I am currently in lovely Greensburg, Pennsylvania, without a computer or an XBox right now. I will be back home on Sunday. I hope I can find a copy of the game in New Orleans.

Best Buy on Veterans had about 30 copies for each platform (PC/PS2/Xbox) that I saw. EB Games, Babbages, and an Electronics Botique were all sold out.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #94
SackAttack
Head Coach

I fully expect to see more of you Xbox Live users online tonight and tomorrow, dammit. So far all of my online games have been with people not on my buddy list!
Old 02-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #95
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey, I'm 0-6 and about to get swept again.

Todd

what team you playing with? Tampa Bay
Old 02-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #96
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I just picked this up for 29.99 from Best Buy. I have to do a few errands but am looking forward to trying it out soon.

your Lucky, my Best Buy didnt have any in stock.

what playform you end up getting? xbox, pc, or ps2
Old 02-25-2005, 04:32 PM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
your Lucky, my Best Buy didnt have any in stock.

what playform you end up getting? xbox, pc, or ps2

I bought the xbox version.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #98
SackAttack
Head Coach

Do you have Live, Eaglesfan? If so, what's your Gamertag?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #99
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I do and I think it's Eaglesfan27. It's been a while since I looked it up, so I have to double check. I know we played each other during the short lived ESPN Football league, so you might still have me on your list.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:43 PM   #100
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I fully expect to see more of you Xbox Live users online tonight and tomorrow, dammit. So far all of my online games have been with people not on my buddy list!

Man, I haven't been on Live since November, during some Halo 2 fest...
tweet tweet twitter