Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2004, 09:19 PM   #51
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Say what you will, but you know at least half of you suckers who have bought Madden for $50 every year when it came out will be doing it again next year and it's not like they're going to be losing their base since a majority of their purchasers won't even know it. C'mon, this time next year, there will be a few extra people in the store going "Hm.. where did Sega's games go?" But in the end, few will actually know or care and will just buy Madden.

It's a horrible thing for the industry but they're getting away with it because, well, they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
What EA is doing may be the best possible thing for the industry.

Now, SEGA has incentive to challenge what's likely never to hold up on court - the claimed restriction on using real player names.

At least there's hope here. But I'm not overly optimistic.

Then again, I haven't bought a football game in a couple of years. I would have bought NFL2K5 if it would have come out for Nintendo at that attractive price point ($20 for a new football game/roster updates that's pretty good; that's significantly better than $50 per year for roster updates).

The sad thing is that SEGA's willingness to price it that low this year probably pushed the discussion from "Well, maybe we'll do it" like 6 months ago to "We have to do it, otherwise SEGA is a threat". Because, better to buy up the exclusive rights so another company can't develop than to lower the fucking price, EA.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:30 PM   #52
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I seem to recall this coming up several months ago when EA's "exclusive" contract was signed with the NFL (for a HUGE number, IIRC). At that point, after a brief scare, it all came out that this was NOT going to be any sort of exclusive deal, and that it was some other sort of deal.

Guess that was all wrong.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:21 PM   #53
Calis
College Starter

IGN is reporting "rumors" about EA contacting the NBA and MLB as well, although when they asked EA they just declined to comment.

So who knows on that one? I'm sure they'd be at least looking into it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:01 PM   #54
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, why not? If you can freeze the competition by buying exclusive licenses - and EA has the resources to do that - why not? Beats having to actually, y'know, compete for business.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #55
Anthony
Banned

if it worked for MS...
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 01:53 AM   #56
SackAttack
Head Coach

http://students.uat.edu/ryamccab/images/madden2006.jpg

Gold.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:18 AM   #57
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack

Beeeautiful.

SI

Old 12-14-2004, 02:26 AM   #58
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Disgusting, this is just the sort of shit that I can't stand. Terrible news, indeed. I will not be buying any EA Sports games next year, that's for sure.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:02 AM   #59
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
My son will be disappointed to learn there won't be another edition of Backyard Football any time soon.

It sucks for the consumer, but it's a smart business move on EA's part (assuming they didn't overpay).

From the IGN article:

"The reason that you're noticing a certain vagueness to the language in the press release is because the license deals do not include smaller games such as Atari's Backyard Football; it's not subject to this agreement due to their numbers. And any wireless game or cell phone game is not part of the deal either."

So at least Backyard Football is safe.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:16 AM   #60
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Good ol' EA.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:17 AM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
From the IGN article:

"The reason that you're noticing a certain vagueness to the language in the press release is because the license deals do not include smaller games such as Atari's Backyard Football; it's not subject to this agreement due to their numbers. And any wireless game or cell phone game is not part of the deal either."

So at least Backyard Football is safe.

Good catch Bob, I missed that when reading the article. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:29 AM   #62
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Lets hope the NCAA doesn't decide to do the same thing.

Well, as Jim showed us with TCY, this is not as big a deal. With so many Universities named after their location, and the NCAA not licensing player names anyway, you can generate a universe which approximates the NCAA lanscape only changing about 7-10 University names to their locations (Durham, Nashville, etc.) and having players with the numbers and attributes of current players and fake (or no) names.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:32 AM   #63
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Well, as Jim showed us with TCY, this is not as big a deal. With so many Universities named after their location, and the NCAA not licensing player names anyway, you can generate a universe which approximates the NCAA lanscape only changing about 7-10 University names to their locations (Durham, Nashville, etc.) and having players with the numbers and attributes of current players and fake (or no) names.

It would be more of an issue with a console game, with team nicknames, logos, and uniforms.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:27 AM   #64
Arles
Grey Dog Software

This certainly appears to be a blow to the consumer. But I think I'm with Jim on this one. The end result of what Sega does here to keep a foothold in the market should help pave the way for independents to stay competitive. Now, SEGA is in the same boat as Jim, Clay, Brian or us at Grey Dog from a licensing standpoint and they have to funds to really push this issue (something none of us ever had). I would not be surprised if the end result of all this is a more specific definition in what can be licensed (ie, redefining what a "likeness" is) - which may exclude the names of players.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:20 AM   #65
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
This certainly appears to be a blow to the consumer. But I think I'm with Jim on this one. The end result of what Sega does here to keep a foothold in the market should help pave the way for independents to stay competitive. Now, SEGA is in the same boat as Jim, Clay, Brian or us at Grey Dog from a licensing standpoint and they have to funds to really push this issue (something none of us ever had). I would not be surprised if the end result of all this is a more specific definition in what can be licensed (ie, redefining what a "likeness" is) - which may exclude the names of players.

Arlie/Jim, since you've both probably explored the option before- is there any potential legitimacy to a case akin to what you're proposing ? Can you claim the usage of names based on the "public use" idea ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:28 AM   #66
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Yes. Based on the federal Lanham Act. It's really a slam dunk, and there have been similar cases that have gone against the sports figure. But as any business owner would tell you, what's important legally is not being right under the law. It's staying out of court, period.

Big businesses like EA and the NFLPA can afford lawyers and protracted court battles. That's why it's so interesting that another big company, SEGA, now has financial incentive to challenge this particular scheme. If SEGA were to challenge and win, I doubt EA and the NFLPA would bother us.

Now the logos and NFL team names are another story entirely. I think that restriction would hold up in court.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #67
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Arlie/Jim, since you've both probably explored the option before- is there any potential legitimacy to a case akin to what you're proposing ? Can you claim the usage of names based on the "public use" idea ?

I remember there was a lawsuit about this involving Hardball 5, where some former players sued over being included as historical players, Accolade's defense was that they simply used players names and stats, something that is available in many historical records. I don't remember how this case turned out though.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:39 AM   #68
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The companies involved realized that there was a danger in challenging licensing schemes in that if they won, it would remove the barrier to entry that the schemes impose on the little guys.

So they paid the veterans off. It never went to court.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:46 AM   #69
Raiders Army
Coordinator

A little late to post, but the NFL makes an exclusive deal with DirecTV and now EA Sports? This sucks.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:51 AM   #70
cwilloughby
Mascot

Quote:

HAHA. Here is another from the ESPN NFL forums.

cwilloughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:01 AM   #71
mightyshoe
n00b

Is there a console version of Bloodbowl?
mightyshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:01 AM   #72
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyshoe
Is there a console version of Bloodbowl?

Yes, it's called Mutant League Football

I sincerely hope that the scuttlebutt (that Visual Concepts, creator of the ESPN NFL series, is planning to do a Monster Football or Cyberball game) is true... because EA Sports can bite my Jade Turtle.. I ain't buyin their crap any more.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #73
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilloughby

I think I like this one better.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:14 AM   #74
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Classic.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:17 AM   #75
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

According to the NY Times, the amount paid was $300M for the 5 year contract.

SI

Old 12-14-2004, 11:19 AM   #76
SackAttack
Head Coach

It's just too bad Sega couldn't trump that.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:26 AM   #77
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, let's do the math. $60M per year = 1.2 million copies * $50 a game. So, they were expecting Sega to at least cut that much into their bottom line. Man, they badly viewed Sega as a big threat over the next 5 years.

Even odder, considering Madden does ~3.5M in sales per year, that's cutting a lot into the bottom line. Which tells me they don't have much in the way of development costs each year (go figure).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-14-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:29 AM   #78
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:

Somebody replaced SkyDog's head with Adolph Hitler!
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:31 AM   #79
Zippo
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
So, let's do the math. $60M per year = 1.2 million copies * $50 a game. So, they were expecting Sega to at least cut that much into their bottom line. Man, they badly viewed Sega as a big threat over the next 5 years.

Even odder, considering Madden does ~3.5M in sales per year, that's cutting a lot into the bottom line. Which tells me they don't have much in the way of development costs each year (go figure).

SI
I think you have to take away how much their old license would have cost as well.
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:31 AM   #80
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Possibly more, depending on how long Sega stayed at $20. If the game stayed at $20 for the next two years (end of the current console's life cycle) and then $50 thereafter, in order for the deal with the NFL to make financial sense, Sega would have had to sell 9.6 million copies the next five years (two years of 3 million each @ $20/game, the 1.2 million you cited for the following three years).
Old 12-14-2004, 11:32 AM   #81
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo
I think you have to take away how much their old license would have cost as well.

True, true. Forgot about that.

SI

Old 12-14-2004, 11:34 AM   #82
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Possibly more, depending on how long Sega stayed at $20. If the game stayed at $20 for the next two years (end of the current console's life cycle) and then $50 thereafter, in order for the deal with the NFL to make financial sense, Sega would have had to sell 9.6 million copies the next five years (two years of 3 million each @ $20/game, the 1.2 million you cited for the following three years).

Well, actually it's different than that. Because, we're not talking about the money Sega would make (unless you're talking about them and an exclusive contract). We're talking about the money EA would lose. Which means they have to lose those 1.2M customers per year. This year, a lot of people didn't switch from Madden to NFL2K5 because of Sega's low price point. They bought both. Madden didn't see a big hit in sales, they just saw a big bump from the other side of the aisle.

SI

Old 12-14-2004, 11:41 AM   #83
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, actually it's different than that. Because, we're not talking about the money Sega would make (unless you're talking about them and an exclusive contract). We're talking about the money EA would lose. Which means they have to lose those 1.2M customers per year. This year, a lot of people didn't switch from Madden to NFL2K5 because of Sega's low price point. They bought both. Madden didn't see a big hit in sales, they just saw a big bump from the other side of the aisle.

SI

Well, I have the feeling that if Sega had the exclusive contract, they wouldn't stay at $20/game for the two years I insinuated they might (if you've got a 5 year window, why waste 40% of that?).

But I was saying that from the pool of sales Madden might be expected to have, for that contract to make sense, the figures I quoted above would have to be sales away from the Madden franchise, as opposed to this year's dual-sales occurrences.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:44 AM   #84
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I haven't bought a Madden game for 3 years....It looks like I will stay that way.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:52 AM   #85
SunDevil
College Prospect

Guys,

Sega was planning on raising the price of their sports games next year anyways.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/...s_6114690.html

So its not like you would have been saving any money next year, just would have had a choice.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 12:21 PM   #86
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
On the consoles, a fair chunk of that $50 goes to the console maker and for manufacturing costs (the amount varies per console). So it's more than 1.2 million for them to just break even on the licensing deal.

Well, yeah, but that's not how I was dividing it up. I was thinking X copies pays for licensing, X copies pays for manufacturing, X copies pays for advertising, etc.

SI

Old 12-14-2004, 12:22 PM   #87
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
So, let's do the math. $60M per year = 1.2 million copies * $50 a game.

On the consoles, a fair chunk of that $50 goes to the console maker and for manufacturing costs (the amount varies per console). So it's more than 1.2 million for them to just break even on the licensing deal.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:39 PM   #88
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
Guys,

Sega was planning on raising the price of their sports games next year anyways.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/...s_6114690.html

So its not like you would have been saving any money next year, just would have had a choice.

Nothing I've seen has indicated that it would be next year for sure. Only that premium pricing would've returned with the next generation of consoles.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:47 PM   #89
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, yeah, but that's not how I was dividing it up. I was thinking X copies pays for licensing, X copies pays for manufacturing, X copies pays for advertising, etc.

SI

That works for fixed cost items (like licensing and advertising), but not for manufacturing which is a cost per item. So you have to cut out the cost to actually manufacture the item (and the retailer's cut, again a cost per item) to determine how much money EA gets, then you can figure out how many copies pays for licensing, how many for advertising, etc.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:36 PM   #90
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Yes. Based on the federal Lanham Act. It's really a slam dunk, and there have been similar cases that have gone against the sports figure. But as any business owner would tell you, what's important legally is not being right under the law. It's staying out of court, period.

Big businesses like EA and the NFLPA can afford lawyers and protracted court battles. That's why it's so interesting that another big company, SEGA, now has financial incentive to challenge this particular scheme. If SEGA were to challenge and win, I doubt EA and the NFLPA would bother us.

Now the logos and NFL team names are another story entirely. I think that restriction would hold up in court.
What about problems the other way, ie. will EA now use this exclusiveness to challenge even the small game makers that even use the suggestion of a NFL set-up? Couldn't they (along with the NFL) put everyone in court to supress the smaller companies?

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-14-2004 at 02:37 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:20 PM   #91
robbgmaier
College Prospect

Maybe this will bring about a revival of Tournament Cyberball. God I miss that game. If any of you have the 4 player arcade version in your basement, I'll bring as much beer as my card can hold and will order pizzas until they stop accepting my credit cards.
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:22 PM   #92
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
What about problems the other way, ie. will EA now use this exclusiveness to challenge even the small game makers that even use the suggestion of a NFL set-up? Couldn't they (along with the NFL) put everyone in court to supress the smaller companies?

I was wondering that too.. especially with the language about football management games.. perhaps EA wants to get into that arena again. Would they try to suppress the little guy?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:48 PM   #93
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I was wondering that too.. especially with the language about football management games.. perhaps EA wants to get into that arena again. Would they try to suppress the little guy?

Look for this in the next 2-3 years.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:41 AM   #94
Its Vanilla
High School JV

2005 was the first year I didn't buy Madden. I didn't by Sega either, but I did like the gameplay when I rented it.

I hope that Sega uses their game engine for a college football game. I hope they make the greatest college football game ever, totally blowing out NCAA 2006. In fact, if Sega were to make a college game, I'd buy it instead of EA's, simply because of this.
Its Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:02 AM   #95
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I just hope that Sega changes the horrile player model. I hate the stretched out players.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:09 AM   #96
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I got to thinking about this at work tonight (before they let me go home early)

This wasn't a good move for ea.. and let me tell you how espn responds..

they make their next game with editable team names.. and easy to edit rosters that take advantage of usb keyboards.. With roster hounds out today making rosters in under a week.. and the ease of use of a usb memory card.. If espn's product is superior.. it'll sell.. This also allows espn to spend more money developing new features

Now on to ea, they obviously had to overpay for exclusive rights.. considering i believe 3 other companies had rights (ea,midway,espn.. maybe microsoft still?) now to entice the league to do this kinda deal.. they had to at least come close to what all of them were paying combined, which really cannot be that good of a deal for ea at all.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #97
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This is the scariest quote of all:

Quote:
On a scarier note for these same publishers, rumors are already circulating that EA is attempting to negotiate similar deals with the NBA and Major League Baseball. When IGN contacted Trudy Muller, spokesperson for Electronic Arts about these rumors, she told us: "We cannot speculate at this time about any further plans these other leagues may have."

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #98
Calis
College Starter

It looks as if EA has now bought the rights to the AFL as well.

These cats ain't messing around.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:16 AM   #99
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
It looks as if EA has now bought the rights to the AFL as well.

These cats ain't messing around.

Now the question is : Will EA combine both games into one or sell them seperately?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #100
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Reading the press release would make it sound like EA will be releasing a seperate AFL game starting in 2006.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote