Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2004, 11:48 PM   #51
kingfc22
Head Coach

Kingfcius sent word of his victory over the hastati to his son Daedalus Julius.

Son, today I protected the lands of your grandfather as I led my men to a decisive victory. I am creating a battle journal that includes my battle tactics and hopefully one day you will be able to use it as you defend the Julius name. Continue your training with the sword as I will be home soon to check on your progress.

kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:24 AM   #52
tucker342
Pro Starter

I've been waiting for you to start a RTW Dynasty

I would love to be a future member of the family(I know it will take a little while but that's fine).
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:50 AM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Some responses to y'all...

JeffNights, you are now Jeffnitius Maxentius, the Censor of Rome. You are the faction heir of S.P.Q.R., and are a pretty well-skilled individual (+5 COM, +4 MAN, +6 INF). You are 31-years-old, and I chose you for this position because you are relatively young. Your father, Decius Maxentius, is the Consul of Rome, the most powerful office in the Republic (and you could be considered to be the second most powerful). It seems likely to me that you will be Consul when your father passes on (he is 61).

This could also mean that a quick turnaround to civil war could put your head on the end of a Julii pike.

Izuldius...Bladeii is your father. He feels he is weak; you better hope you're stronger.

Bladeii, I wouldn't worry yet about yourself in assassination plots...you're pretty far down the totem pole. I am pretty sure Sachmius is more concerned with Kingfcius, who is making a name for himself in battle and in front of Chiefius as well. That faction heir position isn't necessarily hereditary and given to the first born son...

Sachmius, who knows how it will all play out? Assassins may come into it. Or maybe Chiefius will prefer adminstrative skill over battlefield glory? You're faction heir for now, so that's good. You would probably be helped a lot if your sons Fonzius and Calisius turn out to be good generals and/or governors.

Jesse Ewiak...you might get that "wish" to be an enemy leader.

I agree, General Mike--you should be a general.

Great stuff, Kingfcius. I would love to see the "branches" of the family develop rapport with each other inside their families and enmity with the other branches of the Julii family. The attitudes expressed here will likely be something I work into the actual game itself. For instance, having expressed a desire to do so, should Sachmius become the head of the Family, I might seriously consider offing Kingfcius and Bladeii.

Welcome back, tucker. Sorry to keep you waiting.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:46 AM   #54
Izulde
Head Coach

From the Journal of Izuldius:

Paterfamilias seems sad to me. He is sad because he is considered the lowest of Grandfather Chiefius's sons and he fears that our branch of the family tree will turn out to be unimportant in the end.

Uncle Kingfcius won a great victory for Rome, it is said. While I am happy to hear of it for our family, it has made Father sadder still.

Though I am still just a boy, I hope that when I am old enough, Grandfather, or whoever leads our family at the time, will see me as a great and powerful person, worthy of carrying on the name of the Julii as their leader.

I will go to the temples of Diana and Mars every night that I am able, praying that She gives me wisdom and influence with which to govern well, and Mars so that I might become a great general.

Mother comes to tuck me into bed now. I will write to you later, Journal.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:52 AM   #55
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
From the Journal of Izuldius:

Paterfamilias seems sad to me. He is sad because he is considered the lowest of Grandfather Chiefius's sons and he fears that our branch of the family tree will turn out to be unimportant in the end.

Uncle Kingfcius won a great victory for Rome, it is said. While I am happy to hear of it for our family, it has made Father sadder still.

Though I am still just a boy, I hope that when I am old enough, Grandfather, or whoever leads our family at the time, will see me as a great and powerful person, worthy of carrying on the name of the Julii as their leader.

I will go to the temples of Diana and Mars every night that I am able, praying that She gives me wisdom and influence with which to govern well, and Mars so that I might become a great general.

Mother comes to tuck me into bed now. I will write to you later, Journal.

Gold!

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:12 AM   #56
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Winter To Spring, Year of Rome 484

The passing of the winter has allowed us to settle in a little into Liguria and explore our new environs. Not surprisingly, though, it was an eventful period.

Liguria

Here's a quick look at Liguria and the small town of Segesta.

How small is Segesta? Our occupying army outnumbers the population (590 to 459). The population is not growing fast either (+1%), although I tihnk that has a lot to do with the utter lack of any serious buildings of note. I haven't played this game long enough to know why the heck Liguria is generating so much income with such a weak central settlement.

Segesta had just a Warrior's Hold coming in, which we converted into a Governor's House. It was the only building of consequence after the conquest, but we did complete roads to improve trade and travel through the region, a rather lengthy one. The roads were completed in warm spots through the winter.

Despite our very high tax rates, the public order of the town is still over 100%, +105% overall.

Segesta might not appear to be much right now, but given the quality of the region and the early high income, it seems likely that it could become a major city down the road.

Liguria is a rich and varied region. It is even longer than I thought, incorporating the entire curve of the upper coast of Italy to the foot of the Alps to the west. The western lands near the Alps are wellstocked with wooded areas, and Timber is a natural resource of the region. Closer to Segesta, Pottery is also a resource, and Slaves are listed as a limited resource (for 19 turns), although I think that might be a result of my decision to enslave the populace. Where it isn't covered in mountains and forests, Liguria is rich in highly fertile farmland.

As long as it is, Liguria is a very thin region, not much wider than Umbria on the other side of the Etruscan Peninsula. Segesta is couched in the valleys of some high coastal mountains that effectively shield the city from Venetia. The heavy farmland is to the west of those mountains and Segesta, where the farm basin runs from the coast well inward to northern Italy.

Liguria is bordered to the southeast by Erutria, and catches a stretch of Venetia to the east. Most of the northeast, north and northwest borders, though, are in the large Gallic region of Cisalpine Gaul. To the west, along the coast and over the Alps, is another Gallic province in Transalpine Gaul.

Gaul At Our Doorstep

I feared the conquest of Liguria would bring Gaul right to us, and so it has. With the aid of Icius, we have become aware of a rather large Gallic army on the northwest border of the province, and have also discovered the central settlement of Cisalpine Alps, Mediolanium (the ancient site of Milan, I believe).

Even more concerning is that the army is on this side of the Alps. According to Icius, it is under the control of Radix, a hothead 19-year-old son (or grandson) of Gaul's ruling family. Radix is at the head of an army that outnumbers our own in Segesta, although he has made no move to entire Liguria as of yet (nor are we currently at war with Gaul). Radix isn't particularly superior in skills, but his youth and the size of his army makes him someone to pay attention to. The bulk of his army, some 695 strong, is Warband warriors (484 of them) of the type we just defeated in Liguria. He also has Barbarian Cavalry (108) and Skirmishing Warband warriors (missile version of the Warband soldiers, 88 of them).

Icius's sources have also given us information about Mediolanium. The governor is Jessewiak, the faction heir of Gaul. Jessewiak is 37, but no little else about him or about the city. We know it is guarded by his 34 cavalry bodyguard and a 121-Warband warrior unit, so it is lightly guarded. It does have a wooden palisade around the city. After checking out Radix's army, I have sent Icius to Mediolanium, which he should reach by the vernal equinox.

In response to this, I send message to Sachmius at Arretium to begin the recruitment of several new hastati units. I don't know if we will use them right away, but these signs of Gallic aggression must be prepared for. I am also considering turning Segesta's early economic production into a war economy.

In a further effort to delay conflict I may not be immediately prepared for, I have also sent my diplomat Sextus Antio up to Patavium (modern day Venice). He crossed the mighty northern river Po nigh of the winter solstice and reached the great Gallic city in the midst of winter. We worked out a trade agreement deal with the Gauls, but I could not get them to go for map information without a heavy tribute payment.

Erutria Improves

Sachmius must be doing something right. The income of our capital region of Erutria leapt past Liguria as our top income region (795 dinarii to 700).

I also discovered iron deposits in the region, adding to the marble already present here. I might have missed this the first time, and it was always there, but I am not sure.

Both Arettium and the Umbrian large town of Ariminum are in the midst of completing paved roads.

Rome At War

We received notice from the Senate soon after the midwinter feasts. The Senate and the Family Scipii have entered into war with a mighty enemy, the Greek Cities that are the center of culture in our world. I struggle with heathen barbarians, and they attack the center of civilization? Greece's power has faded some, but they remain well-linked with once powerful Macedon, native land of powerful conqueror Alexander the Great, whose profound effect on the world is still being felt half a century after his passing far to the east.

The announcement comes with a request--the Senate wishes us to blockade the port of Sparta with our navy. Now I know why they gave us a brireme instead of a more useful soldier force.

I have five turns to complete this, and I don't even know where Sparta is. My advisers assure me, though, that my fleet head, Admiral Oppius is well aware of its location and should be able to carry out the Senate's wishes. I send orders to Admiral Oppius, and by the vernal equinox, he and his three briremes are sailing by Capua (modern day Naples). They should reach Sparta in three more turns.

Beyond that, war with the Greeks is far from my mind. I have much more pressing matters to attend to.

CR

Old 10-04-2004, 02:30 AM   #57
RealDeal
High School Varsity

Sign me up to be in this dynasty.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 02:47 AM   #58
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDeal
Sign me up to be in this dynasty.

Cool. Added ya.

CR

Old 10-04-2004, 03:26 AM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Summer, Year of Rome 484

As the weather turned warmer, the Gauls seemed content to stay on their side of the fence, but who knows how long that will last? Could that army not be an invading force, but for defensive purposes against the expansionist Romans? Possibly. But the Family Julii isn't going to get far making rash assumptions.

Construction and Recruitment

Segasta did not finish projects, nor is it able to recruit units right now, but news from the home regions was promising.

Both Arretium and Ariminum completed Paved Roads, improving trade in both regions. Arretium also finished a unit of hastati, and Ariminum completed a Town Watch unit (the best unit it could come up with).

Agent Movements

Having done his job in Venetia, I decided to allow Sextus Antio to do some exploring in and around the Alps. He spent the rest of the hot season approaching the edge of Venetia, to the mountainous province of Noricum. I have no idea who controls that distant land.

Admiral Oppius and his fleet of three briremes reached the Strait of Messina, which separates the toe of Italy from Sicilia. I am hoping to reach Sparta in two turns.

Icius completed his journey to Mediolanium and did some more in-depth scouting. He determined that the city had just a Wooden Palisade, a Warlord's Hold and a Meeting Hall, with about 2500 people. It did recruit another Warband unit, bringing the standing garrison to 240 Warband warriors to go with Jessewiak's bodyguards.

Jessewiak

Icius also discovered some interesting things about our friend Jessewiak, faction heir of the Gauls and governor of Mediolanium.

Most of it is good. He is intelligent. He is a natural born general. He has the same Very Lively characteristics that Sachmius has.

But I almost broke down in laughter when I saw what else he had. He has a Likes A Drink characteristic, as apparently he is a boozer of some reknown. Had it stopped there, it would have been some little quirk. But then I saw his retinue: a drinking "uncle" and a drinking companion. He brings the party with him wherever he goes!

This might be the future leader of the Gauls (your welcome Jesse_Ewiak ).

Keeping An Eye On The Gauls

The only other major move I made was to keep a further eye on the goals. As Icius moved in on Mediolanum, we lost sight of Radix on his army.

So I sent Kingcfius and a contingent of hastati to the border opposite Radix's army, and began building a watchtower. This will allow me to see into Gaul lands, and keep Radix's moves under observation.

I also figured it would be something to keep Kingcfius busy, because sometime after the taking of Segesta he became even more Lively than before, now reaching the same level of Agitation as his older brother. Is this some kind of disease?

CR

Old 10-04-2004, 04:10 AM   #60
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

Hmm...the game seems to have gotten me and the rest of my family confused. :-)
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:45 AM   #61
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Nice dynasty Chiefius! I'd love to be a spy if there's one available. Peregrinus is actually a Roman name!
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:18 AM   #62
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I want a concubine too, father.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:25 AM   #63
Blade6119
Coordinator

so chief, where am i right now? I havent been mentioned since you said i sucked and was sending me away...am i even still apart of the family tree or have i been sent away from that as well?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:25 AM   #64
Blade6119
Coordinator

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:13 AM   #65
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
the peasants are revolting.

HAH, they sure are, that's why we keep them away from the Governer's offices.

Great read. I am about finished screwing up my first Total War campaign(learning as I go). I'd love to do a Dynasty on my next one, but there's no way it could compete with this one, we'll see though.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:39 AM   #66
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Goldenicus is reporting for duty. I think I should be a leader down the road becuase I have sucha cool name
Old 10-04-2004, 08:56 PM   #67
kingfc22
Head Coach

A message to my son:

Today I am writing as I oversee the building of a watchtower. I can not believe that my father is wasting my talents on this assignment. This should be a task for Sachimus, but he's too busy "ruling" Erutria. Some day I WILL rule that city along with the rest of Rome. And do not worry about your place in all this son. Your cousin's Fonzius and Calisius seem to have received no guidance from my brother and I have heard whispers that your grandfather had a vision of you ruling the Senate.

Take care my son. I hope to return home soon.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:57 PM   #68
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

If there's still room CR- I'd love to have a role. ...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:51 PM   #69
Buccaneer
Head Coach

And so it is here. This will be, as usual, fun to read.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #70
hoopsguy
General Manager

I hope to soon to collect the skulls of house Julii, on behalf of the drunken Jessewiak in the service of Gaul.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:31 AM   #71
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Peregrine, Golden Eagle, Aadik and hoopsguy, I have added you all to the list.

I added you, too, Bucc, but knowing how you like these sorts of series, I think I might give wait and find a fun role for you (assuming one occurs to me).

Sachmius, you're Very Lively. My guess is your wife ain't enough to handle ya, so you probably have some concubines stored away throughout the city of Arretium.

Jesse_Ewiak, the game is always right (you drunken lout, you...)

Bladeii, you're doing a fine job running Ariminum. I will try and find ways to work governors into stories where I can, but I suspect a good governor will be like an offensive lineman in this dynasty: if he's doing his job, you don't hear his name too much.

Kingfcius, keep it up. Great to read that. We need daedalus to write back to you, though.

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 01:56 AM   #72
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Winter, Year of Rome 485

Fadia Comes Of Age And Is Targeted For Marriage

The first of my grandchildren has reached an age where she may be deemed an adult. Fadia, eldest daugter of Sachmius, is 15 and has reached the age of marriage (and attached activities).

Immediately, Sachmius presents a 26-year-old garrison commander in Arretium named Titus Pupienus as an appropriate husband for young Fadia. I have my own sources in Arretium, though, and they tell me he has little worth. He displays no aptitude whatsoever in the command of his men, nor the management of the garrison affairs, nor is he particularly charismatic. His lone standout quality is his utter loyalty to the Family Julii. While that is truly well-received, were that the lone requirement to enter into the Family, I would sooner give Fadia to one of my loyal captains than to a man I know nothing of, and whom doesn't appear to have any outward quality whatsoever.

At the risk of leaving Fadia without a husband, I decide to turn down this proposal and hope for a better one to come in the future.

Construction & Recruitment

Segesta completed Land Clearance, a farming improvement already in place in Arretium and Ariminum. This should improve income for the Ligurian town, although they still have just under 500 in poulation (outside of our huge occupying army). This will likely be the last commerce imporvement int he town for a little bit, as the presence of Radix and that Gallic army likely means we will need to build some defense-related structures to be prepared for possible invasion.

Back in the central Julii, Arretium completed a new unit of hastati, and Ariminum recruited a town watch unit.

Diplomatic News

The House of Brutii have joined their fellow factions in war against the Greek Cities. The Scipii family and the Senate declared war on the Greeks last year.

Technically, we remain outside of this conflict, and are geographically furthest from them, but we are in the midst of responding to a request from the Senate to blockade the port of Sparta, so it is only a matter of time before we, too, are at war with Greece.

News has also arrived from the frigid north, where the heathen barbarian hordes of Germania and Britannia have begun warring with each other. This matters little to us, though.

Radix Retreats From Border

Young Gallic warlord Radix has retreated from his position along our border and, we believe, back into the Alps of Transalpine Gaul and points west.

Of course, we don't actually know this. He might have moved on into Cisalpine Gaul. The watchtower Kingfcius has built helps, but it appears its surveillance range is limited.

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 02:20 AM   #73
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Summer, Year of Rome 485

Agent Movements

Diplomat Sextus Antio has crossed the Alps now and entered into central Europe, very close to Germanic lands. He is deep inside the region of Noricum, a rather large central region that takes up much of modern day Switzerland and western Austria.

Having done his job in Mediolanium, Icius is now on the road to Patavium on the coast of the Adriatic in Venetia. He will give us a report on Gallic military strength in the city.

Fleet Reaches The Adriatic

As briremes don't easily cross open sea, Admiral Oppius has instead led his three-brireme fleet along the sole of Italy's boot. As the days grow shorter, he is now at the mouth of the Adriatic Sea, near the Brutii city of Apollonia on the Greek peninsula. I believe we are still another year, maybe two away from Sparta.

Construction

Segesta has begun work on a Wooden Palisade. This is key, considering the lack of one was the primary reason taking the city was so easy for us last year.

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 02:31 AM   #74
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Autumn, Year of Rome 485

Construction & Recuitment

Wooden Palisades are apparently not hard to build. Segesta completed this fortification before the arrival of the winter storms, assuring we coould safely wait out the usually moderate Italian winter behind the safety of walls.

Segesta is a little further north, of course, so it's not unheard of to get an occasional flurry of snow on the coldest nights, but it's still rare. Most of the snow in the area is saved for the mountains behind us, and for the Gauls to our north.

Arretium completed another unit of hastati, giving us the beginnings of a second force to draw from should the Gauls decide to attack us.

Diplomatic News

Traders from the east have brought news from exotic lands.

The far east peoples of Parthia and Armenia have entered into alliance with one another. This matters even less to us, though, than that of Germania and Britannia.

Chiefius Rumnii Getting Better With Age

Sometime over the fall, I have become more Restrained and reflective, less impulsive, although I would say I have never been all that rash of a leader (I leave that for my sons).

The quality makes me more influential (+1 INF) and makes me more difficult to bribe (100% increase in bribe price).

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 02:50 AM   #75
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Winter, Year of Rome 486

Agent Movements

Our diplomat Sextus Antio has moved to the west, but has yet to leaqve Noricum. He has heard tell fo a great river near here called the Danube. This river runs far into the east before emptying into the Black Sea.

Admiral Oppius has now reached the coast of Pelopenesses, but he had to pull his fleet up short when he ran into a large Greek fleet. Much time was unfortunately wasted as he maneuvered around the fleet to avoid any conflict.

In Venetia, Icius has reached Patavium and scouted out the city. It is decently well stocked, better than Mediolanium, but not by much. No member of the Gallic ruling family is present, but there are 363 Warband warriors and a 34-man band of Barbarian cavalry.

That garrison is keeping the peace for a large town of some 2600 people. It has a Wooden Palisade, too, making it more difficult to assault, and seems ot be growing behind hte impetus of a Market. Should the lowland city develop a serious Port, it likely has the chance to become a major center of commerce.

Icius was quick with his business here, allowing me to send him back across Venetia and Cisalpine Gaul to seek the location of Radix's missing army. He was on the road from Patavium to the ford of the river Po when the vernal equinox neared.

Whether he finds Radix's army or not, I would like him to scope out the western passage to mainland Gaul. It appears to be the only easy route to Gaul, and is an obvious strategic locale.

Construction

Segesta is running through its constructions pretty fast, but that's what happens when you're as small as it is. It keeps the troops busy at least.

The local populace has been sluggish, not thriving as a Roman town should. I have been told that they could use a place to worship, and the gods need appeasing as well. So I have ordered the construction of a Shrine to Ceres, the goddess of grain.

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 04:34 AM   #76
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Spring, Year of Rome 486

Daedalus, Son of Kingfcius

My first grandson has finally come of age and joined the Julii family leadership.

Daedalus, son of Kingcfius, celebrated his sixteenth birthday a moon past the vernal equinox. Kingcfius and I traveled back to Arretium for a feast in his honor.

I fear that the celebration is muted, though, for I have gotten a measure of Daedalus and found him somewhat lacking. Frankly, he reminds me a little of Titus Pupienus, the failed suitor of Daedalus's cousin Fadia. Daedalus shows a similar lack of aptitude in any skills of use to us. He is a rather drab individual, in sharp contrast to the more excitable and bold Kinfcius.

That said, he is just 16, and a man can do a lot of growing as the moons pass onward. I will have to send him to battle and see what sort of man he is. Perhaps he has a bit of his father in him.

Construction

Segesta completed the Shrine to Ceres this spring, but for the first time, they were joined by completed projects in the capital and in Ariminum.

Arretium finished a Stables, and Ariminum completed a Practice Range. Both should contribute to the qualities of our armies. The former allows us to recuit Equites, a form of Roman knight, and Wardogs, which are violent, but exciting units of vicious dogs. The latter allows us to recruit Velites, our javelin hurling missle units.

Diplomatic News

Parthia has apparently gone to war with the Seleucid Empire. This is happening far to our east and does not involve an ally, though, so this is probably of little importance to us.

Icius Spots Two Gallic Armies

Our spy does it again.

On the path to the west end of Cisalpine Gaul, Icius heard tell of two Gallic armies near our borders. He was still checking them out when he sent news of them to us, but he was able to glean some information.

The closest army is under the control of a Captain Sennianus and is currently right on the border with Liguria. It's not in position to go right into Liguria, though, as it is currently behind the impassable coastal mountains that shield Segesta from the rest of northern Italy. It is a three-unit army, with one 54-man Barbarian cavalry and two unknown units.

The other army is on the north side of the Po and under the control of a Captain Tincommious. They are currently on the road between Mediolanium and Patavium. It also has three units, with two Warband units of 121 men each, and a 54-man Barbarian cavalry.

They haven't made any aggressive moves, but, of course, even their mere presence has to be a concern.

Low Income iIn Ariminum

It was around about here that I discovered why Ariminum's income was so low.

For a while, I thought perhaps Bladeii wasn't such a great governor, because the numbers just kept going down. It was here that the income got so low, that it was negative! That's when I realized it was a net income.

Taking a closer look at settlement details, I discovered that the total cost of army upkeep for a faction is split amongst its settlements by population.

In reality, Ariminum was my second-largest revenue-producing settlement, by far. For whatever reason, though, it is significantly lower than Arretium, while having a population just about 500 less than the capital. The result is that it takes on a big chunk of the cost of the army, thanks to its population, but lacks the income to pay it with the ease that Arretium does. The result is a negative income.

Incidentally, this is also why the low-population Segesta has the highest income rating--it pays next to nothing toward the armed forces, since just 500 of the 8,000 or so citizens of Julii's Rome reside in Liguria, so its next income is very high, just behind Arretium.

Scipii's Popularity Falls With Senate

I'm not sure what the cause is, but I noticed that the popularity of the Family Scipii has fallen sharply with the Senate. We all opened with six "shields" of popularity, but Scipii lost two of them somehow.

Perhaps they failed an important mission?

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 04:55 AM   #77
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Summer, Year of Rome 486

The Julii Family Enters War With The Greeks

Well, it became official in the fall of the Year of Rome 486. We have become the last Roman faction to enter into conflict with the Greek Cities.

Admiral Oppius sailed his fleet around the southwest end of Pelopenesses and toward Sparta. The first bay was under guard by a lone Greek brireme.

With an advantage in ships and having advanced to the point where conflict was necessary to complete the objective, Admiral Oppius endeavoured to sink the Greek ship. The Julii fleet was victorious, driving the enemy brireme away from Sparta. We lost 13 total on two of the ships, but killed 25 of the 41 on the enemy ship, scoring a huge opening victory in the war on the seas.

Word quickly spread of our aggression, though, and it wasn't long before we received word that the Greek Cities had declared war on us. This was to be anticipated, of course. Now all of Rome is at war with Greece.

At this time, though, we do not plan to get into a land conflict with Greece, leaving that to the Brutii, who are neighbors of the Greeks. We are content to contribute naval aid, but the presence of the Gauls is far more worrisome to us than the relatively distant Greeks.

Agent Movements

Sextus Antio officially crossed the Danube and entered the Germanic region of Agri Decumantes. We have still seen precious little of actual civilization in these barbarian lands.

Icius was able to verify the composition of Gallic Captain Tincommious's army, with the two 121-man Warband units, and the 54-man Barbarian cavalry. He immediately moved south to seek out Captain Sennianus's force along the border with Liguria, and was still on his way there as the autumnal equinox approached.

Construction & Recuitment

War concerns doesn't stop the spread of progress at home. All three Julii cities started important projects this season.

Segesta and Arretium have both begun to develop Traders, which should significantly improve our trade income in those regions. Ariminum has begun work on a Port, which will also increase trade in that it will provide new markets for Ariminum's products.

Because of the new military buildings completed in the spring, we can also begin recruiting some higher quality units for possible conflict with Gaul. Sachmius orders the recruitment of two Equites and two Wardog units, while Bladeii begins to put together two Velites units.

Daedalus Called To Segesta

Daedalus shows little enough skill as it is. He certainly won't learn much int he cushy confines of Arretium. I decide to send for him to travel up to Segesta, which he does immediately.

Here, his father and I can both work to improve his quality and education personally.

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 05:21 AM   #78
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Autumn, Year of Rome 486

Spartan Blockade Fails

Curse that misinformation!

Having cleared out the seas near Sparta, Admiral Oppius seemed prepared to begin the blockade of Sparta's port, as ordered by the Senate. Alas, his maps were off, and locating the port proved to be difficult.

Just as his navigators pinned it down, the fleet encountered a mighty Greek fleet, at least twice the size of the Julii one. Sensibly, the admiral chose to withdraw and hope the enemy fleet would elave in time for him to carry out the Senate's orders.

Unfortunately, that wasn't to be. The Senate noted we had failed to complete the mission in the alotted time, and this has moved me and mine to disfavor.

I am not happy with Admiral Oppius, and he assures me that he has put the navigator to death.

Recruitment

Our first units of Equites were completed in Arretium, and our first fresh unit of Velites (if not our actual first) was put together in Ariminum. This should give us a lot of help and support for our current forces, as we are very light in both cavalry and in missle units.

Diplomatic News

The Seleucid Empire seems to have its hands full. The descendants of Alexander's general Seleusus have embroiled themselves in a war with once-protectorate Parthia in the far east, and on the other end, have now engaged in war with the Ptolemaic dynasty in Egypt. Two front wars are never easy to fight, especially considering the Egyptians are no small enemies.

To the west, the expansionist enemies of Rome in Carthage have reportedly run into trouble with the Iberians. The future Spanish apparently aren't too anxious to fall under the rule of Carthage.

Gallic Army Moves

Whatever Captain Sennianus is up to, it's clear now his stop near the Ligurian coastal mountains was just a lay over to a longer trip. He took his army and crossed the Venetian ford of the river Po and is currently moving on to Pavantium.

While we certainly are not going to let our guard down, it's a bit of relief to know that, for the first time in a couple years, we don't have a horde of Gauls somewhere along our borders.

Captain Tincommious has passed beyond our surveillance, but my advisors suspect he, too, has moved on the eatsern Venetia, away from Julii lands.

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 05:33 AM   #79
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

I'll take any spot that's open.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:39 AM   #80
Ragone
Pro Rookie

ooh.. i'd like to be a diplomat.. or assassin whichever.. or both :P
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:31 AM   #81
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

My daughter will not marry some sot named P-Penis.

Have his head delivered to his father, and then his body a week later.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 12:56 PM   #82
ur_land
n00b

Please use me in what capacity you wish, o mighty Ceas---I mean, o mighty lord of the Julii.
ur_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #83
DeToxRox
Head Coach

i think someone, somewhere needs to be assassinated
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:48 PM   #84
daedalus
Pro Rookie

A message to my father:

Fear not, Father. Building a solid base for us to launch our campaign from will only add to greatness of your name. I have heard that there is a possibility I will be allowed to join you in the frontline soon. I hope to make you proud.

Also, I have heard words of Grandfather speaking of your rashes and have taken the liberty to send along some ointments from our family physicians along with this missive ahead of me. I hope this "rash" that Grandfather speak of will be gone soon.

Until I see you once more, care.

Last edited by daedalus : 10-05-2004 at 02:49 PM.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #85
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Daedalus, Son of Kingfcius

My first grandson has finally come of age and joined the Julii family leadership.

Daedalus, son of Kingcfius, celebrated his sixteenth birthday a moon past the vernal equinox. Kingcfius and I traveled back to Arretium for a feast in his honor.

I fear that the celebration is muted, though, for I have gotten a measure of Daedalus and found him somewhat lacking. Frankly, he reminds me a little of Titus Pupienus, the failed suitor of Daedalus's cousin Fadia. Daedalus shows a similar lack of aptitude in any skills of use to us. He is a rather drab individual, in sharp contrast to the more excitable and bold Kinfcius.

That said, he is just 16, and a man can do a lot of growing as the moons pass onward. I will have to send him to battle and see what sort of man he is. Perhaps he has a bit of his father in him.
O, to be so misunderstood.

Y'know . . . Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. Now it looks as though they're here to stay. Oh, I'm heading to Segesta. Suddenly, I'm not half the man Kingfc is. His shadow is hanging over me. This journey came so suddenly.

I shall go packing.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 03:52 PM   #86
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Enjoying it so far, CR!

As a side, you really don't realize how good Rome has it till you try one of the 'barbarian' factions. I screwed around with Briton last night (was gonna see if they were fun enough to start a counter-dynasty to yours), and jesus...you have NO money, thanks to no trade routes. Gonna be hard as hell.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:11 PM   #87
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Breeze, Ragine, ur_land, you have all been added. Thanks for joining.

Sachmius, you're one cruel motherf...

DeTox, heh, I need to develop assassins. I hope to have them soon.

Daedalus, good stuff. Hopefully, you will prove more than what is showing right now.

Coffee Warlord, that doesn't surprise me. Especially Briton and Germania and them. I suspect it will be far different for Greece, Carthage, Egypt and the Seleucids, though. Anyone once connected to Alexander the Great or with an established trade empire will have some civilization going, and all those factions qualify. If I had had to pick who would be worst financially/trade-wise before knowing, I actually would have said the Britons.

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 04:35 PM   #88
Izulde
Head Coach

Stepping out of character for a moment, it seems as though the game is stacked in favour of the Julii and prejudiced against the Scipii because in my campaign, the Julii hold all three of the lower Senate offices, and even though I'm kicking ass all over North Africa and just conquered Carthage, neither the Senate nor the people are showing me any love.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:52 PM   #89
DeToxRox
Head Coach

i understand developing assassins, but come on. let me at least kill a captured infidel for fun.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:17 PM   #90
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Winter, Year of Rome 487

Another Naval Conflict

Having failed in his mission to blockade Sparta, Admiral Oppius turned his ships toward home. Just before they left, though, the Greeks produced another brireme from the port of Sparta.

This was more than Admiral Oppius could take, so he turned his ships around and immediately bent to attack the Greek ship. It was a brutal victory, as just one Greek escaped unscathed. He and a ragtag of what was remaining of wounded Greeks moved their brireme off as suffered just one casualty. Amazingly enough, though, we failed to sink the enemy ship, even having inflicted 40 casualties on its 41-man crew.

Admiral Oppius turned his ships around then, satisfied he had exacted some form of retribution for his failure.

By the time the spring winds were beginning to rise, the three-ship fleet was north of Peleponesses and sailing along the west coast of Greece.

Orders have arrived by bird that Chiefius Rumnii wants the fleet to proceed to Ariminum and prepare to carry an army across the Adriatic. The Lord Julius, his norhtward expansion blocked by the Gauls, apparently has his eye on a portion of the Balkan peninsula.

Diplomat Reaches Germany

After waiting out a bitter winter in a village some leagues north of the Danube, our diplomat Sextus Antio has reached the border of Agri Decumantes and Tribus Chattii. It is a heavily wooded area and reputedly a land of Germania. It is certainly in modern day Germany, although Sextus Antio doesn't know that. He still hasn't seen a barbarian city north of Patavium--which is semi-civilized--but he has heard tell of a city not far to the northwest.

Icius Discovers Another Gallic Army

Icius will never get to the western path through the Alps if he keeps running into Gallic armies. This one, though, is much more significant than the little pup armies he saw before, with a family member of Gaul's ruling party at its head.

But it isn't Radix. My guess is this new general is Radix's uncle and Jessewiak's younger brother. Icius reports his name to be Hoopsgix, a 35-year-old general with +3 Command. Vindex is leading a 276-man army, including his 20-man Barbarian warlord bodyguard. He has a 54-man Barbarian cavalry, a 121-man unit of Warband warriors, and an 80-man skirmishing Warband unit.

They are camping out close to where Captain Sennianus stayed last year, near the Ligurian border next to the coastal montains. Are they on their way to Venetia, as Sennaianus was? Or is Hoopsgix preparing for an invasion?

As a commander, Hoopsgix appears to be the most capable Gallic general we have run into yet, although his skills pale next to my own and that of Kingcfius.

Having scouted out the army, Icius moved on toward the Julii watchtower near the western Alpine pass.

Daedalus Sent To Ariminum

Having heard tell of a disconnected peoples and much natural wealth in the lands across the Adriatic Sea but north of Macedon, Chiefius has changed his mind about Daedalus's future.

Kingfcius's son has been Segesta just a few weeks when the news arrived. After some discussion with Kingcfius, Chieifius announced that Daedalus would lead a Julii army into the provinces of Dalmatia and Illyria, on the eastern side of the Adriatic. This, Chiefius would do three things: 1) Give us a foothold in the Balkan Peninsula that would allow us to expand around Gallic north Italy, 2) Provide us with a second border with Venetia, allowing us to tattack from two sides, should wear with the Gauls come to pass, and 3) give Daedalus an easier test to begin his career as a Julii military leader, as the people of these lands do not appear to be very powerful.

To that end, Daedalus has been sent to Ariminum and tyo the care of his uncle Bladeii, until Admiral Oppius can arrive from his failed mission in Greece.

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 05:19 PM   #91
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Izulde, if that's true, I haven't seen it yet in this dynasty. Hopefully, you're right, though.

DeTox: I'll have Sachmius send you T-penis. Do what you will with him, you sick bastard.

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 05:42 PM   #92
Travis
Pro Rookie

Excellent read thus far CR, can't wait to get my feet wet once we start knocking off all these traitorous board members that decided to ally themselves with those barbarians
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:09 PM   #93
hoopsguy
General Manager

Don't be afraid to allow Daedalus to venture towards the Ligurian border next to the coastal montains with his blind manservant and pair of mules on his own personal visionquest. Great risk, great reward awaits him there ...

Last edited by hoopsguy : 10-05-2004 at 06:43 PM.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 PM   #94
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Travis, heh, that should be fun.

hoopsguy threatening daedalus? Sounds like a growing rivalry. Maybe someday they will meet.

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 06:51 PM   #95
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Spring, Year of Rome 487

News From The Senate...And A New Mission

Just as the blossoms of flowers were beginning to open, we received an important missive from the Senate.

First came the news that the Consul of Rome, Decius Maxentius, has passed away, of old age. He was 63 years old. Rome and S.P.Q.R. is in mourning, so we will lower our standards for a fortnight in deference, and announce mourning of our own throughout our lands during this dark time. I have sent a response to Rome expressing our condolences for the loss of a great Roman leader in Decius, a man I liked personally and who was of inestimable quality.

I also acknowledged the other news we ahve received, although I kept most of my responsive thoughts to it out of print. It would not do well to upset the Senate right now.

We received word that we have been passed over for Senatorial office this round. Making it worse was that both the families Scipii and Brutii received appointments to the ruling council, leaving us as the lone unrepresented faction. I believe Sachmius, with his fine administrative skills, would have been a perfect addition to the council.

Not helping matters was that they elected a bumbling fool to the Consul's position. Former Aedile Kaeso Pullus, 31 and a member of the S.P.Q.R. faction, has been elevated to the most powerful office in Rome. I fear for the quality of Rome's future under this man's rule, for he is a blithering idiot.

It would have been far more appropriate to have selected either of Decius's two sons, the Censor, Jeffnitius, and the Pontifex Maximus, Servius. Instead, Jeffnitius was kept at Censor, and Servius moved to Praetor. Decius's grandson, Publius, was oddly named the Pontifex Maximus, a position of rgeat power and influence as the head of religion in Rome. I have not met him since he was but a child, so I know little of his quality, but to be elected to that position at the tender age of 17?

My colleague Tiberius Brutus was elevated to Aedile to replace Kaeso Pullus, and that allowed another colleague, Cornelius Scipio, to step into Tiberius's former Quaestor role.

But all of these news items paled in comparison to a privately-selaed message directly to my own eyes from Kaeso Pullus himself. In that, he has asked me, on behalf of the Senate, to push forward with war on the Gauls and to take Mediolanium, the great city of Cisalpine Gaul. We have five years to do it.

It is at once a concern and an opportunity. It is something I have been preparing for, and yet concerned when it would come. The Gauls are barbarians, but mighty and numerous enemies none the less. Our best chance is to take Mediolanium and Patavium and seal off Italy from the Gauls at the Alpine passes. Much planning will be required to pull this off.

Construction & Recruitment

With war on the way, it is important that the Julii cities are prepared to do their part. It helped that this past spring they were able to complete some critical improvements that I expect will vastly increase our tax income.

Arretium and Segesta both completed a trading class to enable commerce. Ariminum has completed its Port, allowing it to take in offer and offer out its trade products to cities by sea.

Ariminum also completed the recrutiing of a new unit of Velites, which should come in handy against the Gauls.

CR

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-05-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:10 PM   #96
kingfc22
Head Coach

Daedalus, in order for you to have success on the battlefield you must first gain the respect of your men. Since you are a descendant to the great Chiefus, I don't expect this to be a problem. Just remember to use the battle tactics that I thought you when you were younger and I hope that you were paying attiontion during those days. I shall hear of your victory soon.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:11 PM   #97
kingfc22
Head Coach

Great stuff CR. I'm glad our spy is able to obtain so much info about the Gauls. I just hope that they aren't doing the same thing.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:15 PM   #98
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The yet unheralded Coffeius Warlordium says we should attack Rome immediatly.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:08 PM   #99
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

kingfc, I haven't seen one, but then maybe I'm not supposed to.

Coffee Warlord, quiet! No attacking Rome until I am ready (I'll leave that to you ).

CR

Old 10-05-2004, 11:16 PM   #100
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

S'why you obviously need me leading your armies.